PDA

View Full Version : iBook seems faster than 2.4 Macbook

pugple
Mar 4, 2008, 11:51 PM
I just got my new Macbook. Been installing stuff on it and it seems to go reaaaaaally slow. I installed quicksilver and whenever I pull it up and start typing it'll be really slow and show the rainbow wheel and won't respond for a few seconds. It's always pretty quick on my ibook. :(

Also, after moving stuff to application, the entire system freezes for a 15-30 seconds.

My iBook seems a lot faster with all these problems. :( What the heck is going on? :(

DannySmurf
Mar 5, 2008, 12:00 AM
You need to be more specific about your problem. It could be the hard drive, bad logic board, a software problem, or you could be imagining things.

SFStateStudent
Mar 5, 2008, 12:03 AM
You need to be more specific about your problem. It could be the hard drive, bad logic board, a software problem, or you could be imagining things.

How much RAM? Have you updated? Are you running Leo? :confused:

pugple
Mar 5, 2008, 12:20 AM
It's a 2.4ghz macbook, 2gb ram and running leopard.

I have no idea what's wrong with it. :P and it's not me imagining things either. :(

Sun Baked
Mar 5, 2008, 12:31 AM
It's a 2.4ghz macbook, 2gb ram and running leopard.

I have no idea what's wrong with it. :P and it's not me imagining things either. :(

All i can say is to look at the logs and the activity monitor, likely something is sucking CPU cycles (or erroring repeatedly.)

Edit: hopefully the HD indexing isn't stuck in rut.

Chundles
Mar 5, 2008, 12:37 AM
If you just got it then it's probably indexing the HDD for Spotlight. If there's a little pulsing dot in the middle of your Spotlight icon then it's doing the full index - usually takes a while and once it's done your machine is lightning fast but it's slow as molasses while it's going on.

powerbook911
Mar 5, 2008, 01:42 AM
Yep like the above post said.

It's probably indexing. Let it work and later it should be fast. :)

paulmoscow
Mar 5, 2008, 01:52 AM
Your problem may be related with old Power PC applications. Try to avoid programs that run in emulation mode.