PDA

View Full Version : Exchange is nice and all, but

corbywan
Mar 6, 2008, 06:19 PM
What about all this cool enterprise stuff, the iPhone, and Apple's own server stuff? CalDAV push? Address Book push?

What do non-Microsoft houses use for group/global address books, calendaring, and all that?

Sky Blue
Mar 6, 2008, 06:25 PM
We use MDaemon and Meeting Maker.

Grimace
Mar 6, 2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, meeting maker makes me queasy, but we still use it too.

corbywan
Mar 6, 2008, 10:22 PM
But does meeting maker play nice with iPhone? I guess that's my question in this.

Am I going to have to get an Exchange Server to do everything Apple did today for enterprise, or will any of that function with standards-based stuff that much of Apple's environment is based on?

rockos
Mar 7, 2008, 11:42 AM
im wondering the same...i am now totally on mac.... getting rid of my last windows box. so what does mac offer for/comp to microsoft exchange server. love all the push....plus wipe of iphone.

yes i do use microsoft office 2008 for mac anything offered there for exchange sever etc.

thanks

Sky Blue
Mar 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
But does meeting maker play nice with iPhone?

haha, Meeting Maker doesn't play nice with anything :rolleyes:

corbywan
Mar 7, 2008, 02:25 PM
So really, what are Mac-houses using for shared contact and calendaring? Is it unrealistic to try to be a pure-mac enterprise environment? And add to that iPhone/touch as a PDA integration?

Grimace
Mar 7, 2008, 04:23 PM
Mac-only operations can still use Exchange. It simply links Entourage (email and calendar) into a network or portable device (Treo etc.)

corbywan
Mar 7, 2008, 07:46 PM
If a mac-only house was using Exchange, they wouldn't be a mac-only house, would they? :D

nicely
Mar 7, 2008, 07:54 PM
I can't wait to get my iPhone to sync with my company's Exchange server, but what about OS X Mail, AddressBook and iCal??? It would be great to use those apps instead of Entourage, all syncing in near realtime with my iPhone.

geneos
Mar 25, 2008, 03:33 PM
Does anyone knows if iPhone 2.0 will be able to sync over the air with Leopard Server.

Wouldn't that be the natural step for Apple ? To integreate the iphone with its own calendar server ?

Morris
Mar 26, 2008, 05:37 AM
If you are a pure non-Windows shop you could probably use Zimbra (http://www.zimbra.com) as an Exchange replacement. It supports CalDav, just like Leopard iCal does (and presumably iPhone iCal as well).

corbywan
Mar 26, 2008, 10:42 AM
Wow! Zimbra looks pretty cool. I hadn't run across is in my collaboration research. And the fact that the Network Pro edition support iSync (presumably Sync Services) is especially cool and intriguing.