PDA

View Full Version : just got a iBook...slow

Dsr1205
Mar 7, 2008, 05:33 PM
hey i got a iBook and reinstalled the software and replaced the HD to something slightly newer. I did a hardware test and everything is working, just the battery is crap but i don't wanna buy for 100. im ok with ti being plugged in all the time im just wondering, any way to speed it up? i was windering about leopard. i hear it doesnt run well. thanks

TEG
Mar 7, 2008, 05:37 PM
More memory.

Only Run Tiger.

The Machine is old, therefore slow.

Wiping the HD might help.

TEG

Wireless Buddy
Mar 7, 2008, 05:38 PM
hey i got a iBook and reinstalled the software and replaced the HD to something slightly newer. I did a hardware test and everything is working, just the battery is crap but i don't wanna buy for 100. im ok with ti being plugged in all the time im just wondering, any way to speed it up? i was windering about leopard. i hear it doesnt run well. thanks

Upgrade to more RAM or downgrade to an older OS X version.

Dsr1205
Mar 7, 2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah i think ill stay on tiger, maybe get a gig in there making it 1.25. im trying to install firefox right now and it wount mount...any help there?

dborja
Mar 7, 2008, 06:21 PM
I run Leopard on my G4 iBook with 1.5GB RAM and it's just fine. I also suggest maxing out your RAM. As far as batteries, I bought a new non-Apple branded one from e*ay for about $40... Hope that helps.

Dsr1205
Mar 7, 2008, 06:28 PM
I run Leopard on my G4 iBook with 1.5GB RAM and it's just fine. I also suggest maxing out your RAM. As far as batteries, I bought a new non-Apple branded one from e*ay for about $40... Hope that helps.

how did u install 1.5 gb of ram?

LightDemon69
Mar 7, 2008, 06:39 PM
how did u install 1.5 gb of ram?

Later revisions of the iBook G4 had 512 MB soldered to the Logic Board, and one slot open. You could put a 1GB stick in the slot. Viola, 512MB + 1GB=1.5GB!