Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
An item on eBay surfaced... which claims to be a Macintosh G4 Quicksilver 2002 Server Logic Board

* 800 MHz or 933 MHz PowerPC G4 processor; or dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 processors
* Four (4) 64-bit PCI Slots
* Four (4) DDR RAM slots (yes, DDR!)
* Velocity Engine vector processing unit
* Full 128-bit internal memory data paths
* Powerful floating-point unit supporting single-cycle, double-precision calculations
* Data stream prefetching operations supporting four simultaneous 32-bit data streams
* 256K on-chip L2 cache running at processor speed
* 2 MB DDR SDRAM L3 cache per processor, with up to 4 GB per second throughput (933 MHz and dual 1 GHz systems)
* 133 MHz system bus supporting over 1 GBps data throughput

Not sure what it is... as I doubt it is as advertised...

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
my 2 cents...

it doesn't look my Quicksilver Dual 800 motherboard.

It's clearly got 4 dimm slots... current Macs have 3.

arn

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Whoa Nelly!

Now this is an interesting piece. Does anyone know if the board, by just looking at the picture, is the same board shape as in a current QuickSilver?

It makes for interesting conversation regardless.

And why is it red? I've never seen Apple use a red cicuit board before.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by dukestreet
Whoa Nelly!

Now this is an interesting piece. Does anyone know if the board, by just looking at the picture, is the same board shape as in a current QuickSilver?

It makes for interesting conversation regardless.

And why is it red? I've never seen Apple use a red cicuit board before.

Pic of the current Quicksilver motherboard: http://homepage.mac.com/macspeedzon...w/reviews/comp/a/quicksilver/733/heatsink.jpg - looks the same as my Dual 800.

Note the image in the ebay item looks "reversed" - in that the slots are on the wrong side... note, this could be a simple "flipping" on the image that was done at some point in the picture->upload process

arn

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
interesting

couldn't find any info on the seller( location, etc).

he's only sold OS 9, X and FCP in the past.

it says its from a test system-if so, apple may still technically own this( if its real) and this item may disappear off E-bay when apple finds out.

may be a hoax or glimpse into the future:)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
On the bottom of the page, the listing says that all hardware is refurbished unless otherwise noted. So, if this is to be believed, this board has been out and used, and then returned and refurbished.

If that's true, don't you think we would have heard about it before now?

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Strange, if it is truly a mac server board, and never has been released before, how can it be on ebay?????

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Wait a minute

It says that it is using DDR, however, he says the Bus speed is 133 mhz. I don't smoke crack, so isn't that impossible? Last time I checked you needed to be at a higher system bus to run DDR?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Is the processor slot in the top right?

If that's it then it isn't built for a standard heat sink. Too close to the side.
:confused: :eek: :) :confused: :) :confused:

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Here is a copy of the picture flipped to the correct way. Do the ports line up for the back of the current case? I am in the land of the G3.

[image removed per apple legal]

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
A 133 bus speed would mean be effective 266 DDR.

I think it's fake the PPC7450 and 7455 don't support DDR.

rickey939

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
Land of Oz
This is real and MUCH BETTER DEAL!!!!

I found this on eBay as well, sounds like a much a better "real" deal to me....

[link removed... ed note: dont' want to encourage people to start posting their own ebay items... good try though :) ]

;)

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Re: interesting

Originally posted by 3rdpath
couldn't find any info on the seller( location, etc).

he's only sold OS 9, X and FCP in the past.

it says its from a test system-if so, apple may still technically own this( if its real) and this item may disappear off E-bay when apple finds out.

may be a hoax or glimpse into the future:)

The guy has 10 reviews on him, and they are all positive. Don't really know what to think of this. Man, it has me salivating very badly though.:D

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
So actually one of the hardware testers threw this board for sale?!?
Why should one do that? for the extra cash?
Still find it super strange.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well those are definatly DDR slots. Look at the seats on them. I just pulled some DDR out of a system here at work, and they match!!!! If this is real, it is a radical deisgn change though. Look at the pic that arn posted, and the one that I threw up that was corrected. Major differences in the board design itself.

Looks like the rumors (like the one I posted...pats self on back) are very possibly true.

Lets all hold hands, sing Kumbaya, and dream happy dreams....

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well if the red is an indication of a prototype, how can this guy get away with selling it? I'd think it would be exactly leagal, but I don't know much about this sort of thing.

So this board would support a total of 2 gigs of RAM, which would be nice, and its faster. Its going pretty cheap so far as well. But why would the power source be 28V? That ones got me curious.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
If apple do get it pulled surely this would be an admission on their part.

Maybe they should leave it up just to mess with us;)

rickey939

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
Land of Oz
LOL, what? You lost me.

My now defunk link was to my PowerBook G4 on eBay, that's all. I have NOTHING to do with this thingee-ma-gig...sorry.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
DDR on a G4

Could, possibly, a G4 support DDR if some kind of memory controller made it look like standard RAM to the G4?

ie: the memory controller talks 133 Mhz DDR to the memory and 266Mhz standard SDRAM style to the G4.

Just a thought.

-Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.