PDA

View Full Version : Quicksilver Server?

arn
May 2, 2002, 02:31 PM
An item on eBay surfaced... which claims to be a Macintosh G4 Quicksilver 2002 Server Logic Board (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2020903080&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1020723326&indexURL=0&rd=1)

* 800 MHz or 933 MHz PowerPC G4 processor; or dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 processors
* Four (4) 64-bit PCI Slots
* Four (4) DDR RAM slots (yes, DDR!)
* Velocity Engine vector processing unit
* Full 128-bit internal memory data paths
* Powerful floating-point unit supporting single-cycle, double-precision calculations
* Data stream prefetching operations supporting four simultaneous 32-bit data streams
* 256K on-chip L2 cache running at processor speed
* 2 MB DDR SDRAM L3 cache per processor, with up to 4 GB per second throughput (933 MHz and dual 1 GHz systems)
* 133 MHz system bus supporting over 1 GBps data throughput

Not sure what it is... as I doubt it is as advertised...

arn
May 2, 2002, 02:40 PM
my 2 cents...

it doesn't look my Quicksilver Dual 800 motherboard.

It's clearly got 4 dimm slots... current Macs have 3.

arn

Mr. Anderson
May 2, 2002, 02:44 PM
Whoa Nelly!

Now this is an interesting piece. Does anyone know if the board, by just looking at the picture, is the same board shape as in a current QuickSilver?

It makes for interesting conversation regardless.

And why is it red? I've never seen Apple use a red cicuit board before.

arn
May 2, 2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Whoa Nelly!

Now this is an interesting piece. Does anyone know if the board, by just looking at the picture, is the same board shape as in a current QuickSilver?

It makes for interesting conversation regardless.

And why is it red? I've never seen Apple use a red cicuit board before.

Pic of the current Quicksilver motherboard: http://homepage.mac.com/macspeedzone/.Public/images/hardw/reviews/comp/a/quicksilver/733/heatsink.jpg - looks the same as my Dual 800.

Note the image in the ebay item looks "reversed" - in that the slots are on the wrong side... note, this could be a simple "flipping" on the image that was done at some point in the picture->upload process

arn

3rdpath
couldn't find any info on the seller( location, etc).

he's only sold OS 9, X and FCP in the past.

it says its from a test system-if so, apple may still technically own this( if its real) and this item may disappear off E-bay when apple finds out.

may be a hoax or glimpse into the future:)

mcrain
On the bottom of the page, the listing says that all hardware is refurbished unless otherwise noted. So, if this is to be believed, this board has been out and used, and then returned and refurbished.

If that's true, don't you think we would have heard about it before now?

Geert
May 2, 2002, 02:50 PM
Strange, if it is truly a mac server board, and never has been released before, how can it be on ebay?????

Backtothemac
May 2, 2002, 02:53 PM
It says that it is using DDR, however, he says the Bus speed is 133 mhz. I don't smoke crack, so isn't that impossible? Last time I checked you needed to be at a higher system bus to run DDR?

mischief
May 2, 2002, 03:01 PM
If that's it then it isn't built for a standard heat sink. Too close to the side.
:confused: :eek: :) :confused: :) :confused:

Backtothemac
May 2, 2002, 03:05 PM
Here is a copy of the picture flipped to the correct way. Do the ports line up for the back of the current case? I am in the land of the G3.

[image removed per apple legal]

eyelikeart
May 2, 2002, 03:05 PM
last time I saw a motherboard in the color red it was from a prototype...

pc_convert?
May 2, 2002, 03:06 PM
A 133 bus speed would mean be effective 266 DDR.

I think it's fake the PPC7450 and 7455 don't support DDR.

rickey939
May 2, 2002, 03:06 PM
I found this on eBay as well, sounds like a much a better "real" deal to me....

[link removed... ed note: dont' want to encourage people to start posting their own ebay items... good try though :) ]

;)

Backtothemac
May 2, 2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
couldn't find any info on the seller( location, etc).

he's only sold OS 9, X and FCP in the past.

it says its from a test system-if so, apple may still technically own this( if its real) and this item may disappear off E-bay when apple finds out.

may be a hoax or glimpse into the future:)

The guy has 10 reviews on him, and they are all positive. Don't really know what to think of this. Man, it has me salivating very badly though.:D

Backtothemac
May 2, 2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
last time I saw a motherboard in the color red it was from a prototype...

I agree with Eye. Apple does their testing boards in red. Or, they could be bringing out the

G-reddelicious PowerMac

Macmaniac
May 2, 2002, 03:13 PM
It could be a prototype like others have said. This guy might have connections inside Apple or through a friend. That is freaking awsome! God I hope it is real!

Geert
May 2, 2002, 03:15 PM
So actually one of the hardware testers threw this board for sale?!?
Why should one do that? for the extra cash?
Still find it super strange.

pc_convert?
May 2, 2002, 03:16 PM
If this guy has violated an NDA his in the *****.

Backtothemac
May 2, 2002, 03:17 PM
Well those are definatly DDR slots. Look at the seats on them. I just pulled some DDR out of a system here at work, and they match!!!! If this is real, it is a radical deisgn change though. Look at the pic that arn posted, and the one that I threw up that was corrected. Major differences in the board design itself.

Looks like the rumors (like the one I posted...pats self on back) are very possibly true.

Lets all hold hands, sing Kumbaya, and dream happy dreams....

Mr. Anderson
May 2, 2002, 03:19 PM
Well if the red is an indication of a prototype, how can this guy get away with selling it? I'd think it would be exactly leagal, but I don't know much about this sort of thing.

So this board would support a total of 2 gigs of RAM, which would be nice, and its faster. Its going pretty cheap so far as well. But why would the power source be 28V? That ones got me curious.

Backtothemac
May 2, 2002, 03:21 PM
Duke,
That would be 4 GB of ram on the board, not 2. Also, the voltage could be because of multiple processors, or due to the memory bandwidth?

pc_convert?
May 2, 2002, 03:22 PM
If apple do get it pulled surely this would be an admission on their part.

Maybe they should leave it up just to mess with us;)

sparkleytone
May 2, 2002, 03:23 PM
rickey939
macrumors newbie

who's to say you aren't the seller?

rickey939
May 2, 2002, 03:32 PM
LOL, what? You lost me.

My now defunk link was to my PowerBook G4 on eBay, that's all. I have NOTHING to do with this thingee-ma-gig...sorry.

eric_n_dfw
May 2, 2002, 03:48 PM
Could, possibly, a G4 support DDR if some kind of memory controller made it look like standard RAM to the G4?

ie: the memory controller talks 133 Mhz DDR to the memory and 266Mhz standard SDRAM style to the G4.

Just a thought.

-Eric

Zenith
May 2, 2002, 03:50 PM
But if the PPC 7450 and 7455 doesn't support DDR-ram, could it be a logic board for a new chip? Like the G5..? :D No, serious. It doesn't look like a fake, so i would assume it's made for another chip than todays G4's. Maybe a 7500 if there exist such a thing..?

eric_n_dfw
May 2, 2002, 03:53 PM
As a second note, where does Motorola say that the G4 cannot support DDR anyway? Given the right chipset, why shouldn't it be able to?

Looking at the little blurb on that PPC roadmap (http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M983989030230) I don't see DDR mentioned for the G5 either. (They do mention RapidIO though, which I am under the impression is a whole new technology anyway)

-Eric

macmunch
May 2, 2002, 03:54 PM
That are definatly DDR ports
Also the FW and SUB ports are there seems autentic
and there is a AGP pro slot

but where is the CPU sockel ?

Backtothemac
May 2, 2002, 04:00 PM
This is a logic board remember. PowerMac's procs sit on a daughter card.

me hate windows
May 2, 2002, 04:00 PM
Are those 3 fat, short, black things ATA ports? Do you think it has RAID support built in, without getting another PCI card? And what is that white port next to the 2 black ones? (not the port next to the ram, but the one next to the drive connectors.)

:confused:

ejm625
May 2, 2002, 04:02 PM
I'm thinking there could also be a case redesign coming up. Look at where the ATA connectors are. On the Current model they are below the PCI connectors. Interesting...

mischief
May 2, 2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by macmunch

but where is the CPU socket ?

Upper left in the "flipped" image if anywhere.

AlphaTech
May 2, 2002, 04:04 PM
I looked up the QuickSilver logic board, since Apple is using the SAME one for both desktop's and servers. The reason there is a price difference is the server software, not the motherboard. They do use a slightly different power supply on the server (redundant unit). Still, it looks like a fake-up to me. Notice that the ATA slots are in the wrong location on the one on ebay.

IF this is a prototype mobo, then he is seriously violating his NDA, as well as any agreements with Apple to get prototype/beta units. I really think that someone should report that to Apple. I know that someone here has to know who to email at Apple, since I don't.

I'm attaching an image of what the QS mobo looks like, so that people can see the locations of all the stuff.

me hate windows
May 2, 2002, 04:06 PM
It would be stupid to sell a fake thing on eBay. You get totally screwed if you dont send what you had in your description. I bid on an iPod(never received, and eBay reembursed me for it, I dont know what they did to the seller though), so I just bought from Apple. But my point is that maybe one of us should bid on it to see if it is real.

IF ANY OF YOU DO, AND IT IS A FAKE, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOST MONEY OR WHAT-NOT.:)

This post was pretty stupid.:D Oh well

DaveGee
May 2, 2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by arn

* 800 MHz or 933 MHz PowerPC G4 processor; or dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 processors
* Four (4) 64-bit PCI Slots
* Four (4) DDR RAM slots (yes, DDR!)
* Velocity Engine vector processing unit
* Full 128-bit internal memory data paths
* Powerful floating-point unit supporting single-cycle, double-precision calculations
* Data stream prefetching operations supporting four simultaneous 32-bit data streams
* 256K on-chip L2 cache running at processor speed
* 2 MB DDR SDRAM L3 cache per processor, with up to 4 GB per second throughput (933 MHz and dual 1 GHz systems)
* 133 MHz system bus supporting over 1 GBps data throughput

Okay... this sure looks like a prototype board and sure looks like DDR memory slots...

...but....

[edit: nevermind... it seems like this guy was just cuttin and pasting some text from current g4 specs]

It sure looks like it has some kinda AGP slot but the person doesn't list it. Is it the same as we have now?

I'm also in agreement with the person who questioned the CPU location since it wouldn't allow for the heatsync.

Finally I have a brandy-new DP G4 Server in my office and the ports are not the same. The modem is on a riser and the 2 usb ports are 'one on top of the other' and not 'side by side'.

now I am assuming that the port between the ethernet and the (2) firewire ports is a modem jack but the more I look at it I'm not so sure...

No matter... it sure looks interesting. Maybe dorsal from the AI boards will comment on it.

Dave

Backtothemac
May 2, 2002, 04:08 PM
Alpha,
It could be a disgruntled employee, or someone that stole the dang thing for all we know. We know that the case is getting up there in age, and is prime for a change. You're a tech, it looks like a legit proto.

arn
May 2, 2002, 04:10 PM
update:

Xlr8yourmac's Webmaster:

http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/001084.html

well I now know what it is (the DDR MB mentioned in the main www.xlr8yourmac.com news page today) - but I can't mention the specifics...

Prototype apple motherboards are red - so that should be one clue.

I suspect once it's seen by the mothership that the auction will be closed.

Let's just say the next G4s are going to be interesting ;-)

mischief
May 2, 2002, 04:19 PM
I blew the whistle so download those images as fast as you can.:D

This way we'll know soon enough.......

I think though that this was never meant as a production proto but as a test of adapting DDR to the G4 with some proprietary whizbang.

AlphaTech
May 2, 2002, 04:20 PM
If he did steal it, he is not being very smart about it. Maybe the guy wants to get caught and go to jail, I wouldn't.

As for things to come.... maybe the G5 will be released similar to that, but I have to believe that Apple wouldn't change the locations of the IDE and ATA slots on the motherboard. At least, not to where they are being shown. For as long as I can remember, since the G3 blue, there has been at least one ATA port/slot at the base of the motherboard, right after the PCI slots. That facilitates mounting drives on the base plate of the computer. Putting them where they are shown in that photo wouldn't make sense. It would also restrict air flow around the motherboard.

I still vote that this is a fake.

arn
May 2, 2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech

As for things to come.... maybe the G5 will be released similar to that, but I have to believe that Apple wouldn't change the locations of the IDE and ATA slots on the motherboard.

maybe it's a special design for the server motherboard.... doesn't necessarily have to be the same as the consumer unit.

arn

mischief
May 2, 2002, 04:23 PM
If this wasn't intended for the existing Tower case and particularly if it was destined for a Rack.

mcrain
May 2, 2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by DaveGee
now I am assuming that the port between the ethernet and the (2) firewire ports is a modem jack but the more I look at it I'm not so sure...

You don't think that might be usb2.0 or firewire 2 do you? Has anyone seen what the usb2 port looks like or has anyone heard what the firewire 2 is supposed to look like?

AlphaTech
May 2, 2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by mcrain

You don't think that might be usb2.0 or firewire 2 do you? Has anyone seen what the usb2 port looks like or has anyone heard what the firewire 2 is supposed to look like?

USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports/cables are the same I believe. I wouldn't imagine that they would change ports to go from Firewire 1 to 2, so that it can be backwards compatible.

jbouklas
May 2, 2002, 04:32 PM
This would make sense for rackmounts. The different configuration of ports, the use of DDR memory, and more memory slots. I wouldn't expect this "update" for the towers. Apple wouldn't update a mobo without updating processors. Why would it still use the current processors? Even for testing? That pic on ebay is the heart of Apple's new rackmount.

-Jim

AlphaTech
May 2, 2002, 04:34 PM
I guess we won't know if Apple is releasing a rack mount option until they announce it. Maybe this is an example of such, but I don't recall reading that it fits into a xU rack.

We will see what happens when Apple makes their next announcement, either at WWDC or MWNY.

mischief
May 2, 2002, 04:35 PM
Let us know if it goes "poof".

G4scott
May 2, 2002, 04:35 PM
It definetly looks like it's in for a case re-design. The thing that bothers me, though, is that if the motherboard looks like it woudl fit into the case with all the ports on the bottom, and the PCI slots on the top so that the power supply / drive cables don't have to travel through the whole case. The only reasons that I can see for this design are:
1. A true, desktop form factor case. (but those are kinda stupid and impractical, and would hamper Apple's easy-upgrade efforts)

2. Rack mount form factor.

I don't know much about the different form factors for rack mount computers, and I have no real idea why anyone would want Air Port in a rack mount, but this is the only other way that I can see this motherboard fit practically into a computer. I do know, that this would justify the use of built in RAID (even though it would be nice on the regular desktops)

I do think that the processor card connects just to the right of the RAM slots, on that white thing. The port between the ethernet and firewire looks like a modem, but it may be a little small. RJ11 is a little smaller than RJ45, but not a whole lot... I guess it must be a modem...

The only other thing that I can think of, is that this guy is really good with red paint, motherboard parts, exacto knives, and super-glue... In which case, he has some explaining to do to e-bay. Either way, though, he has explaining to do to someone, either e-bay, Apple, or us...

Rower_CPU
May 2, 2002, 04:36 PM
Rack mounting could account for the odd mobo shape and layout...

This is pretty damn intriguing! The best rumor-fodder we've had for quite some time, too.

If it's fake, then I hope Apple has something equally cool on the way.
If it's real, then I hope we see it soon!

arn
May 2, 2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech

USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports/cables are the same I believe. I wouldn't imagine that they would change ports to go from Firewire 1 to 2, so that it can be backwards compatible.

Firewire 2 uses a different connector... with an adapter avail to use older devices I believe...

http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/About/ppt1.PDF [ It's a PDF ]

Improved connector

New connector needed for higher data rates

- So let's make everything better
Much better shielding and signal isolation

- Designed for both CE and PC worlds
Only slightly larger than existing 4-ckt connector
Carries power to support PC peripherals

there's a picture of the new connectors.... very well could be.

update: I posted pictures of the connectors here:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/05/20020502174828.shtml

arn

bobindashadows
May 2, 2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mischief
I blew the whistle so download those images as fast as you can.:D

This way we'll know soon enough.......

I think though that this was never meant as a production proto but as a test of adapting DDR to the G4 with some proprietary whizbang.

Heh, way ahead of you :D Picture's already up on my web server for the world to see. http://www.scotiasoft.net/G4Quicksilver2002MLB.JPG just in case big brother comes around and some of you guys are left in the dust :p

rickey939
May 2, 2002, 04:43 PM
Why would a rackmount mess with having USB and FireWire on the board? Kinda useless, wouldn't ya think? It wouldn't need them to be stacked on top of each other IMHO.

eirik
May 2, 2002, 04:45 PM
I haven't a clue about Apple's engieering practices. That said, I have some points to make and questions to ask.

As this is presumably a prototype board, mere physical differences in how components are mounted or positioned do not exclude it from being a prototype board or suggest that a new form factor is afoot.

Does anyone know what Apple's Advanced Computing Group and/or the engineers that actually build prototype boards how they do or do not employ bread boards? Why go to the trouble of soldering components for prototyping when one could simply use a bread board? I guess a board as depicted would be as it is so that Apple can ship it abroad and/or test it for environmental factors.

This board could be a year or more old for all we know. When would Apple, a major computer maker that is renowned for employing cutting edge components, first have access to DDR components?

Also, I should think that Motorola cranks out many different flavors of CPU's for prototyping and sprint development efforts. So, if the posts regarding G4's lack of support for DDR is true, then it seems to me that it would not be unrealistic for Apple to receive experimental or prototype variations of the G4 that do support DDR.

Other than the DDR, are any of the other features different or unusual, such as the pre-fetching feature. Also, what is the deal with the floating point unit? Like the vector processor feature mentioned, is this simply part of the G4 itself?

What I would find really interesting about this so called prototype board would be if something really unusual were to be found on it. Does anybody really think that Apple doesn't have prototypes with DDR? Come on! If they didn't, Apple would be one seriously ****ed up company.

Something really interesting and unsual to be found on a prototype board would be some special ASIC (proprietary) that serves as an OS X accelerator for various functions. Something like this might suggest an x86 move, for example, because it would help prevent hackers from simply porting MacOS X to any white box or Dell rather than by Apple hardware.

So, in short, I find this so called prototype board very disappointing. A 133 MHz motherboard!!! If that were what we are to see in the next motherboard, Apple's future would seem awfully grim to me.

Eirik

mischief
May 2, 2002, 04:50 PM
Yes, Apple proto's boards to test new variations all the time. Some things can't be tested on a breadboard reliably.;)

AlphaTech
May 2, 2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by rickey939
Why would a rackmount mess with having USB and FireWire on the board? Kinda useless, wouldn't ya think? It wouldn't need them to be stacked on top of each other IMHO.

I can see it, especially FireWire 2, for RAID arrays. Faster then SCSI, and more flixible too. USB is good for input devices, you could even attach wireless keyboards and mice to the server and work on it from a distance (6' +/-). I would rather see those options on it, then have them removed. Many people use FireWire on a daily basis. It would also facilitate faster file transfer if you needed to put several GB of data onto the server. Plug in the FireWire drive and dump it all fast. Otherwise, you will be waiting for the infrastructor/network to funnel it all in.

mcrain
May 2, 2002, 04:58 PM
The size, shape and indent on top of that mystery connector sure looks similar to the Firewire 2 connector in the PDF file Arn attached.

I hope it's firewire 2, that's a technology I'm looking forward to. That would make connections to external drives absolutely scream.

iH8Quark
May 2, 2002, 05:07 PM
It would take an awful lot of effort to fake this, and make a red mobo. still, I think this guy is in big trouble.

Just my 2 cents.

naughty naughty, but I like him! :D

eirik
May 2, 2002, 05:08 PM
The eBay post says that it was used for less than 12 hours. Doesn't that seem odd, especially for a server where you want to test it under load for days and days if not weeks?

If this board is legit, maybe it suggests that one of Apple's other proto boards was markedly superior and this one was abandoned.

Eirik

iH8Quark
May 2, 2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by rickey939

Actually, rack mounts would be great for clustering macs for CGI and compositing work, in which case, you would still want USB and Firewire ports. It might be intended to work with Cinema Tools and (speculates Nothing Real product in future). Clustered macs would let you edit and composite film at it's native resolution.

Just an opinion, though....

shadowfax0
May 2, 2002, 05:19 PM
I say instead of all this hokus-pokus, why doesn't someone ASK THE GUY? If you have an eBay account, you can email him about his sale you know, I think that would solve alot of people's questions, including my own :D

nero007
May 2, 2002, 05:21 PM
Maybe Apple is leaving this up so that they can buy it and bust the guy? Look at the other stuff he has sold. An awful lot of FCP's for around $100.

Catfish_Man
May 2, 2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by eirik
I haven't a clue about Apple's engieering practices. That said, I have some points to make and questions to ask.

As this is presumably a prototype board, mere physical differences in how components are mounted or positioned do not exclude it from being a prototype board or suggest that a new form factor is afoot.

Does anyone know what Apple's Advanced Computing Group and/or the engineers that actually build prototype boards how they do or do not employ bread boards? Why go to the trouble of soldering components for prototyping when one could simply use a bread board? I guess a board as depicted would be as it is so that Apple can ship it abroad and/or test it for environmental factors.

This board could be a year or more old for all we know. When would Apple, a major computer maker that is renowned for employing cutting edge components, first have access to DDR components?

Also, I should think that Motorola cranks out many different flavors of CPU's for prototyping and sprint development efforts. So, if the posts regarding G4's lack of support for DDR is true, then it seems to me that it would not be unrealistic for Apple to receive experimental or prototype variations of the G4 that do support DDR.

Other than the DDR, are any of the other features different or unusual, such as the pre-fetching feature. Also, what is the deal with the floating point unit? Like the vector processor feature mentioned, is this simply part of the G4 itself?

What I would find really interesting about this so called prototype board would be if something really unusual were to be found on it. Does anybody really think that Apple doesn't have prototypes with DDR? Come on! If they didn't, Apple would be one seriously ****ed up company.

Something really interesting and unsual to be found on a prototype board would be some special ASIC (proprietary) that serves as an OS X accelerator for various functions. Something like this might suggest an x86 move, for example, because it would help prevent hackers from simply porting MacOS X to any white box or Dell rather than by Apple hardware.

So, in short, I find this so called prototype board very disappointing. A 133 MHz motherboard!!! If that were what we are to see in the next motherboard, Apple's future would seem awfully grim to me.

Eirik

I agree, except about the 133MHz bus. That's a 133MHz Double Data Rate bus. Or 266MHz effective speed. Same as an AthlonXP. Anyway, something like this board is exactly what I've been predicting since sometime around MWSF.

3rdpath
May 2, 2002, 05:40 PM
asked some pretty basic questions.

maybe he'll write back...we'll see

mischief
May 2, 2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Catfish_Man

I agree, except about the 133MHz bus. That's a 133MHz Double Data Rate bus. Or 266MHz effective speed. Same as an AthlonXP. Anyway, something like this board is exactly what I've been predicting since sometime around MWSF.

You, me, Catfish............this isn't too new an idea.;)

MacAztec
May 2, 2002, 06:30 PM
Is it me, or has that item been removed from eBay's listings...

King Cobra
May 2, 2002, 06:35 PM
Invalid item, huh?

Maybe Apple saw this and had it removed.

Just a guess. And I think that if this was the case, then Apple might not have wanted people to see certain things for that product, possible something new, such as the DDR Ram, or the POSSIBLE Firewire 2?

Wierd, but interesting...

Any time is a great time for iPod.

djniche
Yup the page is down.. more reason to think this was real. Apple has some great surprise for us!!!

excellen!

madamimadam
Originally posted by MacAztec
Is it me, or has that item been removed from eBay's listings...

Oh, I am SO glad I got a look at that thing straight away because now:

"The item you requested ( 2020903080 ) is invalid or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists, the item has expired and is no longer available."

It was good while it lastest.... all hail the "mothership"

madamimadam
May 2, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by eirik
The eBay post says that it was used for less than 12 hours. Doesn't that seem odd, especially for a server where you want to test it under load for days and days if not weeks?

If this board is legit, maybe it suggests that one of Apple's other proto boards was markedly superior and this one was abandoned.

Eirik

Sounds like it to me.... if you had a prototype Apple board with DDR before such a board was even released, would you sell it if it was any good?

It would surely be full of bugs.

King Cobra
May 2, 2002, 06:38 PM
It seems wierd to me that Arn posted up information about this eBay product and the Firewire 2 possibility within it. These threads may go together.

I would carefully assume that Apple has some sort of Firewire 2 product under development, or that the product is finished.

Any other assumptions?

Any time is a great time for iPod.

Cellar Rat
May 2, 2002, 06:39 PM
I believe that the photo on eBay is correct.
The image posted in this thread was reversed un-necessarily.
for those that want to see the photo, here is the link to the item in question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2020903080&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1020723326&indexURL=0&rd=1

Proof that the eBay photo is not reversed:
Look at the battery.
I am holding an identical battery to the one in the photo.
The color pattern is not reversible into a mirror image to match.

madamimadam
May 2, 2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by iH8Quark
It would take an awful lot of effort to fake this, and make a red mobo. still, I think this guy is in big trouble.

Just my 2 cents.

naughty naughty, but I like him! :D

Well, I am not so sure that, if he wanted to fake it, eBay would be the place to do it. Realisticly, if he got away with the sale, he would still have to send something when the sale was finished or he would be really screwed. eBay is for the real thing, SpyMac is for fakes.

Rower_CPU
May 2, 2002, 06:41 PM
More fuel for the fire!

Truly amazing stuff, especially if this is an early prototype and later models have moved to faster FSB/DDR...MWNY is looking more and more exciting with every passing day! Maybe Apple wants to make up for last years "yawner" of an expo...hmmmmm.

madamimadam
May 2, 2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Cellar Rat
I believe that the photo on eBay is correct.
The image posted in this thread was reversed un-necessarily.
for those that want to see the photo, here is the link to the item in question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2020903080&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1020723326&indexURL=0&rd=1

Proof that the eBay photo is not reversed:
Look at the battery.
I am holding an identical battery to the one in the photo.
The color pattern is not reversible into a mirror image to match.

That would be good if the item was still available to look at.
:)

I think there are few excited kiddies here and I am one of them.... It has been years since I giggled with excitement like such a child.

iH8Quark
May 2, 2002, 06:42 PM
heh...they took it off ebay.

apple legal and mischief tag-team i suppose. ;)

That sounds like an admission that it's real, to me. :D

madamimadam
May 2, 2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
More fuel for the fire!

Truly amazing stuff, especially if this is an early prototype and later models have moved to faster FSB/DDR...MWNY is looking more and more exciting with every passing day! Maybe Apple wants to make up for last years "yawner" of an expo...hmmmmm.

Tell me about it.... not only 4 DDR and Firewire 2 but also 64 bit PCI.

Not too happy about the 133MHz bus, though..... that is just wrong. If Apple released a 133MHz board with DDR all my happines will be gone. What good is having fast RAM if it is then bottlenecked to 133?

I wonder what the planned AGP is? I would LOVE to take full advantage of the Ti card instead of having a cut back version.

Rower_CPU
May 2, 2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
Tell me about it.... not only 4 DDR and Firewire 2 but also 64 bit PCI.

Not too happy about the 133MHz bus, though..... that is just wrong. If Apple released a 133MHz board with DDR all my happines will be gone. What good is having fast RAM if it is then bottlenecked to 133?

I wonder what the planned AGP is? I would LOVE to take full advantage of the Ti card instead of having a cut back version.

133MHz system bus = DDR266

So actually they wouldn't be too far off, but since we're hearing about DDR400 and DDR533 coming down the pipe soon, hopefully Apple will be on the forefront this time and not trailing WAAAAAAYYYY behind the memory bandwidth again. :rolleyes:

Dr. Distortion
May 2, 2002, 07:05 PM
Hi,

I want to clear up a thing here: there's nothing weird about the 28 volts power supply: it's necessary for powering an AGP video card with ADC connector on it. (28 volts, 4A). The lucky ones who have downloaded the picture can verify this: in front of the AGP slot there's a small brown connector, similar to the one on my own G4/500 motherboard. It's being used by my Rage 128 for supplying the ADC with power.

mc68k
May 2, 2002, 07:09 PM
This link (http://www.applefritter.com/prototypes/pdm/index.html) to Applefritter says that Apple uses different color motherboards in the prototype process— blue, yellow, red, and green.

They show another red motherboard for a prototype 6100.

madamimadam
May 2, 2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

133MHz system bus = DDR266

So actually they wouldn't be too far off, but since we're hearing about DDR400 and DDR533 coming down the pipe soon, hopefully Apple will be on the forefront this time and not trailing WAAAAAAYYYY behind the memory bandwidth again. :rolleyes:

Maybe I have to calm down all my spontantious ideas running around and around my head but we in the Apple world need to kick some serious butt. I want Apple to drop the "beautiful" image in the PRO line and push a truely beautiful and beautifully blazingly fast image. 133MHz is getting on and is being readied for all consumer machines.

Mr. Anderson
May 2, 2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion
Hi,

I want to clear up a thing here: there's nothing weird about the 28 volts power supply: it's necessary for powering an AGP video card with ADC connector on it. (28 volts, 4A). The lucky ones who have downloaded the picture can verify this: in front of the AGP slot there's a small brown connector, similar to the one on my own G4/500 motherboard. It's being used by my Rage 128 for supplying the ADC with power.

Nice first post.

Why then was there a big flag on the ebay page saying make sure your system is compatible with the 28v. I guess it doesn't matter now that the board has been taken off ebay. I wonder if someone is feeling undue pressure right now from Apple?

blakespot
May 2, 2002, 07:12 PM

Nice first post.

Why then was there a big flag on the ebay page saying make sure your system is compatible with the 28v. I guess it doesn't matter now that the board has been taken off ebay. I wonder if someone is feeling undue pressure right now from Apple?

Undue? If someone was trying to sell an Apple prototype motherboard, I'd say the pressure was due!

blakespot

bobindashadows
May 2, 2002, 07:12 PM
I kept the picture and its on my web server, http://www.scotiasoft.net/G4Quicksilver2002MLB.jpg
for all the late comers who didn't get a chance to see it :D

TwitchOSX
May 2, 2002, 07:14 PM
Before the auction closed, I made a PDF of that page from the Print / Preview --> PDF in IE on OSX. If anybody wants it, check it out at:

http://www.snowcrest.net/baham/prototype_apple_server_motherboard.pdf

There u all go. Enjoy!

madamimadam
May 2, 2002, 07:20 PM
I say we give a HUGE shout out to bobindashadows and TwitchOSX, that is a champion effort

mischief
May 2, 2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by iH8Quark
heh...they took it off ebay.

apple legal and mischief tag-team i suppose. ;)

That sounds like an admission that it's real, to me. :D

Not Precisely that directly...........but close. Now you know. :D

3rdpath
May 2, 2002, 07:29 PM
this is the reply i got today:

Hi all,

This board was sent to a friend of mine and was issued as a test board. I

have been notified by Apple and eBay that this board was never intended for

sale and the auction was cancelled at Apple's request. I apologize to all

that this turned out to be a problem.

To all that were interested, this board runs GREAT. The DDR memory really

improves the performance. I hope I am able to offer similar boards in the

near future.

Sea

mc68k
May 2, 2002, 07:34 PM
… the auction was cancelled at Apple's request.

He makes it sound so uneventful. eBay and Apple both saying "what were you thinking" seems like more than just a "request" to me.

Cool that you heard from him though. Good work.

JiveTurkey
May 2, 2002, 07:34 PM
Straight from www.xlr8yourmac.com...

Ebay DDR G4 Motherboard Pulled - Comments from Seller -
The Ebay auction link to the Prototype G4/DDR motherboard posted earlier today is no longer valid. I suspect the mothership spotted it and put an end to the auction. (Update - here's an email from the reader that wrote the seller about the item:)

"Hi Mike, I read your piece on the G4 DDR MB and paid a visit to the auction. I inquired about the MB and here is his response:

" On Thursday, May 2, 2002, at 04:42 PM, Sean C. wrote:
Subject: RE: Question for seller -- Item #2020903080
Hi all,
This board was sent to a friend of mine and was issued as a test board. I have been notified by Apple and eBay that this board was never intended for sale and the auction was cancelled at Apple's request. I apologize to all that this turned out to be a problem.

To all that were interested, this board runs GREAT. The DDR memory really improves the performance. I hope I am able to offer similar boards in the near future. "

Best regards,
Roland "

I find it hard to believe that an avid Mac user who could truly appreciate the performance increase and would have been granted access to such a piece of hardware would be inept enough to attempt to sell this board on eBay... Something is rotten in the state of Denmark... An Apple plant to whet our appetites, maybe?

mcrain
May 2, 2002, 07:37 PM
this is the reply i got today:

Hi all,

This board was sent to a friend of mine and was issued as a test board. I

have been notified by Apple and eBay that this board was never intended for

sale and the auction was cancelled at Apple's request. I apologize to all

that this turned out to be a problem.

To all that were interested, this board runs GREAT. The DDR memory really

improves the performance. I hope I am able to offer similar boards in the

near future.

Sea

All I can say is wow. Totally wow. I'm excited now. I bet there's some pissed off people at Apple if this is really real. :D

theranch
May 2, 2002, 07:42 PM
I find it hard to believe that an avid Mac user who could truly appreciate the performance increase and would have been granted access to such a piece of hardware would be inept enough to attempt to sell this board on eBay... Something is rotten in the state of Denmark... An Apple plant to whet our appetites, maybe?

I agree...something doesn't seem right about this. If a friend of mine gave me this board I wouldn't even think of putting it on ebay.

madamimadam
May 2, 2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by theranch

I agree...something doesn't seem right about this. If a friend of mine gave me this board I wouldn't even think of putting it on ebay.

You might if it was bugged

mywar2000
May 2, 2002, 07:58 PM
Bugged? I don't know about that but... Seriously! Is this guy a complete freakin' moron?!

#1 Duh! It's Apple's property. Who would think they could get away with selling it?!
#2 If it runs so great, why get rid of it?
#3 Why get rid of it anyway???
#4 Why does this guy sign his letter SEA in one version, and Roland in another? Is that his company?
#5 What an anticlimatic end to the best Apple drama this year!

It all sounds WAY too fishy for me. It's got to be some Apple disinformation trickery.

(however, It was a GREAT way to spend the afternoon!!)

Jeremy

barkmonster
May 2, 2002, 08:03 PM
I wish the guy had run a few benchmarks on the prototype before he sold it. I imagine memory bandwidth hungry stuff like photoshop and audio plug-ins would have run quite a bit faster than current models can, even if the CPUs were exactly the same.

I was reading something on the Pentium 4 the other day and at 2 Ghz, it's got a 20 x multiplier, the bus speed is rated at 100 x 4.

This would probably mean with a custom memory controller a G4 could easily run DDR RAM at 133 x 2. As far as I know the maximum multiplier on a PPC7455 is 10, if so we could have a 1.33Ghz G4 with 2Gb of DDR Ram later in the year if this prototype isn't scrapped in favour of something even better.

mc68k
May 2, 2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by mywar2000
It all sounds WAY too fishy for me. It's got to be some Apple disinformation trickery.

I can't remember any time where Apple has deliberately tried to fool us and waste our time. It's probably a developer close to Apple that wnted to get the word out that Apple has something in the works.

If the guy is for real, he is a moron. He says he hopes to do it again if he gets the oppurtunity. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't say or do these things. So his words are not to be believed, but the image is IMO.

madamimadam
May 2, 2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by mywar2000
Bugged? I don't know about that but... Seriously! Is this guy a complete freakin' moron?!

#1 Duh! It's Apple's property. Who would think they could get away with selling it?!
#2 If it runs so great, why get rid of it?
#3 Why get rid of it anyway???
#4 Why does this guy sign his letter SEA in one version, and Roland in another? Is that his company?
#5 What an anticlimatic end to the best Apple drama this year!

(however, It was a GREAT way to spend the afternoon!!)

Jeremy

What I am saying is that if you have a product like that and you sell it, the chances are that it is not as good as it is sounds due to bugs because it is only a prototype. Remember, prototypes are made because it is almost 100% impossible to make a new technology with no problems the first time. The guy who gave him that board probably found problems with it and since then Apple has probably had a new Prototype.

The thing is, PLENTY of people would buy this board for what it is not thinking about the fact that if it was totally working it would not be a prototype

3rdpath
May 2, 2002, 08:16 PM
the email reply was signed "sean". it got clipped in my copying haste.

dongmin
May 2, 2002, 08:20 PM
Even if this thing is an actual prototype board by made Apple, it doesn't tell us much about what's actually coming our way in the near future. I am sure, and as others have pointed out, Apple's been testing DDR Ram, firewire 2, and other goodies for while now--these aren't new technologies. The fact that these things are being tested doesn't mean much to me as a consumer.

The only potential new information this gives us is that Apple could be playing with a rack-mount server design. But again, this is pure speculation. And again, this is a prototype, at best, so it may never see the light of day.

TwitchOSX
May 2, 2002, 08:20 PM
I took screenshots of the eBay sale page for this item (i still have it on my browser window) and put all the pages together. Check it out:

http://www.snowcrest.net/baham/prototypeboardpages.gif

Hope you all enjoy:)

GeeYouEye
May 2, 2002, 08:37 PM
I say its an early prototype, that Apple never released because they weren't ready to release enough products with DDR RAM; it they did, it could seriouly have hurt iMac and iBook sales.

mc68k
May 2, 2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by dongmin
I am sure, and as others have pointed out, Apple's been testing DDR Ram, firewire 2, and other goodies for while now--these aren't new technologies. The fact that these things are being tested doesn't mean much to me as a consumer.

The mere fact that this now-famed board has on it what we have all been specualting about in a concrete, semi-legit picture is just mind-blowing. We're all consumers here, but with allegations like these, we throw consumerism out the window and crank the drool factor to 10.

Screw all speculation, this is what we've all been waiting for. Even if it is just a prototype, it gives us more reassurance to further our suspicions/hopes. I guess this little episode epitomizes what this site is all about.

Backtothemac
May 2, 2002, 08:39 PM
Hey, the picture is still on the first page of the forum in one of my posts. I flipped it hoiz. so that it would match the current case config.

nero007
May 2, 2002, 08:42 PM
Maybe the guy is a Spymac mole and pulled the Auction himself to make it look like Apple pulled it so we would think it was real?

That's almost as believable as some guy selling this board on eBay.

G4scott
May 2, 2002, 08:42 PM
I still think that it's a conspiracy created by Apple to get us excited, and to see what we say about it in forums like these. In that case:D :

Just 133mhz bus? Where is RapidIO?
Only support for 2 processors?
That thing better support up to 2Gb of RAM
Nice RAID support. I hope it takes advantages of many advanced RAID features...
The case in store for this beast better have 2 front end accessible drive bays, and up to 4 HD's inside...
Give it all the cooling you want so you can stuff as much into it as possible! Pro users are usually more concerned about what their machine can do, not how quiet they are. If they want peace quiet, they can get an iMac...
Firewire 2, nice...
If it is for a rack, how about hot-swappable hard drives? eh?

If anyone else has anything to add, please, contribute. Apple may have their associates here at macrumors...

Remember, you won't get it until you ask for it. Apple may be a great company with certain powers, but they can't read our minds (90% of the time, that is, but there is much unknown about Steve's RDF...)

arn
May 2, 2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
I still think that it's a conspiracy created by Apple to get us excited, and to see what we say about it in forums like these.

I can't believe how often this comes up...

Apple's got a lot better things to do than to spoof the rumor sites with fake rumors and images...

arn

G4scott
May 2, 2002, 08:52 PM
Even if it isn't a conspiracy, I still believe that you won't get anything until you ask for it. And I do believe that Apple visits these forums regularly... How else do you explain Apple's amazing ability to force sites to take down stuff that Apple doesn't want them to show...

I wonder if the Apple legal department has counters in their offices that say: "***** number of pictures removed", "**** numbers of articles removed", "number of times they were right: **", "Number of times SpyMac was right: 0" :)

arn
May 2, 2002, 08:58 PM
Even if it isn't a conspiracy, I still believe that you won't get anything until you ask for it. And I do believe that Apple visits these forums regularly... How else do you explain Apple's amazing ability to force sites to take down stuff that Apple doesn't want them to show...

I wonder if the Apple legal department has counters in their offices that say: "***** number of pictures removed", "**** numbers of articles removed", "number of times they were right: **", "Number of times SpyMac was right: 0" :)

heh...

Oh yeah - I'm sure they read the major mac publications etc... but the "it must be an Apple-created hoax to throw us off" reasoning happens with every major leak/rumor - which I personally find ridiculous.

arn

bobindashadows
May 2, 2002, 09:21 PM

Just 133mhz bus? Where is RapidIO?

Arrrghh....

Have you guys who keep begging for RapidI/O even read the PowerPC Roadmap? Take one look at it, i'm too lazy to link but just go to motorola's page (www.motorola.com). There will be no RapidI/O until the G5. They don't plan on including it. It will never happen.

Sorry, need to vent, but seriously guys.... stop whining for the RapidI/O because it's not coming in a G4 :)

Mr. Anderson
May 2, 2002, 09:25 PM
I still think that it's a conspiracy created by Apple to get us excited, and to see what we say about it in forums like these. In that case:D :

Remember, you won't get it until you ask for it. Apple may be a great company with certain powers, but they can't read our minds (90% of the time, that is, but there is much unknown about Steve's RDF...)

I think you've got it all wrong. Its not even conceivable to believe the technology upgrades and R&D were even remotely based on what is said here and on other rumor sites. I am sure Apple knows what it needs to do, much better than most of the people hanging around the rumor boards.

Next you'll be telling us it was all an Apple conspiracy to have Time Canada circulate the magazine with the new LCD imac on its cover 1 day too soon?

Please:rolleyes:

3rdpath
May 2, 2002, 09:41 PM
based upon the following:

A) i tracked down this guy's location by looking thru his other auctions. he's located in Moorpark, CA. which is right outside of simi valley and not too far from thousand oaks.

B) his other auctions are OS9, X and FCP system cds-small easily nicked items

C) he states the DDR really speeds things up-so he's seen it run but c'mon, if he had it on his own system he'd NEVER sell it.

D) he's dumb enough to try and sell it.

i think he's an intern or a "tea-runner" for a post, FX or animation house--one of the biggies that gets beta units.

and since apple knows where EVERY one of their test boards go and is most likely accounting for them right now....

tomorrow, this guys out of a job( and probably out of the industry after a few phone calls ).

eirik
May 2, 2002, 10:09 PM

Next you'll be telling us it was all an Apple conspiracy to have Time Canada circulate the magazine with the new LCD imac on its cover 1 day too soon?

Please:rolleyes:

Who told you to say that ?!?!?!?!

:cool:

sjs
May 2, 2002, 10:54 PM
Other than Firewire 2, if this board represents what Apple is planning to come out with soon, won't they still be behind the technology curve?

You may be selling Apple short. Hopefully what they actually come out with will be BEYOND this.

It would be a bit embarrassing to not make a bigger leap. You introduce a new product that doesn't even catch up? Nah...this is just an old test mule.

rubikcube
May 2, 2002, 10:56 PM
Nah, the processor has to keep up. If it didn't, it would act just like the current system.

madamimadam
May 2, 2002, 11:05 PM
Looks like I got a bit excited in a previous post about the PCI. I thought it said 66MHz but it says 64-Bit.
:rolleyes:

I hope the PCI slot is faster.... if not, though, it would not be the end of the world.

jelloshotsrule
May 3, 2002, 12:23 AM
tomorrow, this guys out of a job( and probably out of the industry after a few phone calls ).

haha, i have a feeling he's already out of whatever job he had if it WAS related to how he got this (assuming it's real of course)... he's done. no need to wait til tomorrow to can his arse

A@ron
May 3, 2002, 12:29 AM
Let me say a few things that I've noticed.

The board is deffinately an Apple prototype because of its color and the circuit lines are visable. So that discounts the spray paint and super-glue theory.

The mysterious "1394b" connection is not that for one reason. Firewire 2 is ment to be able to accept normal firewire 1 connectors as well. In other words it is backwards compatable just only at the slower speed. The connector in the photo is more shallow then the normal firewire connections that are obvious. This would mean a firewire plug would not fit in it properly.

Rapid IO will not be around until the G5 and Apple is of course working on DDR compatability for the post Apallo G4 chips. What is a possibility is G4 chips with DDR for the consumer lines and G5 with Rapid IO for the pro line.

Since the birth of OS X Apple has realized that the market is there for rack mount designs and has had prototypes for well over a year and a half. So this board might be that old. But one thing is for sure that is a connection for a G4 daughter card on the mother board. Another small trend... red mother boards tend to be near their final design phases there have been pictures of red MB 6100 prototypes (just one example) that look exactly the same or very close to the final green MB. Some times I think Steve is like what they said about god in the movie dogma, I wonder what kind of laugh we give that guy sometimes... either that or grief lol.

A@ron
-------------------------------------
Please no more of this Apple messing with our heads ideas please!:cool:

gerardrj
May 3, 2002, 01:05 AM
USB would be used to communicate with most of todays UPS systems.

FW, expecially FW2 could be used as an out-of band intra-cluster network, and possibly a secondary network path for data. Not to mention the vast storage arrays one could connect to via FW.

Rower_CPU
May 3, 2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by A@ron
The mysterious "1934b" connection is not that for one reason. Firewire 2 is ment to be able to accept normal firewire 1 connectors as well. In other words it is backwards compatable just only at the slower speed. The connector in the photo is more shallow then the normal firewire connections that are obvious. This would mean a firewire plug would not fit in it properly.

Take a look at the PDF arn posted on Firewire2/1394b. It has a NEW plug architecture to manage the higher bandwidth. The ports shown in the PDF look exactly like the ones on the mobo.

If you look back at the picture, you can see that there are two standard Firewire ports on the mobo to accomodate 1394a.

A@ron
May 3, 2002, 01:32 AM
Alright I stand corrected on two things the 1934 is supposed to be 1394 damn numbers I need to just stick to firewire lol. And two yes the ports are not backwards compatable... I did a little photoshop overlay of the img of the MB and the outline of the new plug and they look a lot alike. I still think it is really shallow though not even USB 1.1 or 2 is that shallow a plug.

A@ron

Dr. Distortion
May 3, 2002, 01:49 AM

Nice first post.

Well, afaik there are no desktop computing processors with core voltages higher than 5 volts. Nowadays, most processors run with core voltages under 3.3V, often they run around 1.8-2.2V.
I've learnt this when I was trying to overclock a standard Apple 120 mhz 604 card to over 150 mhz with a faster crystal. On the card there was a special power supply to downstep from 5V to the core voltage.
So my bet is that the 28V will only be used for the ADC, and who knows, maybe it will be used for the FW2 port?

madamimadam
May 3, 2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion

Well, afaik there are no desktop computing processors with core voltages higher than 5 volts. Nowadays, most processors run with core voltages under 3.3V, often they run around 1.8-2.2V.
I've learnt this when I was trying to overclock a standard Apple 120 mhz 604 card to over 150 mhz with a faster crystal. On the card there was a special power supply to downstep from 5V to the core voltage.
So my bet is that the 28V will only be used for the ADC, and who knows, maybe it will be used for the FW2 port?

There is a LOT more power needed on the board than just the processor. There are, as you know, 2 USB ports, 2 Firewire ports, the USB, Video and power that goes into the ADC as well as a few other things.

MOST IMPORTANT, though, is that a 23" Apple LCD has a maximum voltage of **duh da duh da** 28V
Anyone suprised?

iH8Quark
May 3, 2002, 01:58 AM
It's my understanding that RapidI/O is a crosslink between two processor cores or the same chip. Of course, I could be dead wrong. But I DO know that the G5 is supposed to have two cores on the same chip, with a super fast crosslink.

I read it somewhere...i think IBM's site.

Dr. Distortion
May 3, 2002, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

There is a LOT more power needed on the board than just the processor. There are, as you know, 2 USB ports, 2 Firewire ports, the USB, Video and power that goes into the ADC as well as a few other things.

MOST IMPORTANT, though, is that a 23" Apple LCD has a maximum voltage of **duh da duh da** 28V
Anyone suprised?

Well, this may sound a little technical, but as you know the other parts on the mobo are all standard components, which means they can be put into a PC too. Therefore, they have to work on 5 or 12 volts. The only thing that might need a higher voltage might be an audio-amplifier (black heatsink on the red motherboard?).
And b.t.w., power is measured in Amps, not in Volts, and if you take a look at your power supply it will most probably have something like "... 5 volts 25 amperes ...".

-Dr. D.

engpjp
May 3, 2002, 06:35 AM
Being not only a newbie, but also an arts guy, I have little technical understanding of hardware. I have been trying to compare the by now infamous motherboard photo with the sketch of a QuickSilver motherboard, to identify the various connectors, but to little avail.

Perhaps some of you "in the know" could make a copy of the mb photo, with text identifying the various parts? - and post it, naturally

None of the comments here have touched upon the connectors that seem to be on the underside of the board (it being semi-opague, vague shapes can be discerned through it). Notice that the shadow of the board shows it to be slanting, indicating that there are connectors on its underside.

Isn't the brown connector in the corner for a modem?

Regards,

mcrain
May 3, 2002, 09:00 AM
From a purely consumer, non-techie standpoint, I have to say one thing...

Has anyone else noticed that everything that might be seen from the outside (internal parts of the plugs) is snow white?

A snow white rack mount?