PDA

View Full Version : OS 9 on Xserve??

digiculture
Oct 31, 2003, 12:19 PM
Please don't tell me this is rediculous, I have my reasons. Does anyone know if the old Xserve (1GHz) would run OS 9.2 (not classic, just OS 9)?

Gústi

Sun Baked
Oct 31, 2003, 01:54 PM
Probably not...

While it is using the same chipset as the Rev A MDD PowerMac G4 -- Apple added 2 PCI-to-ATA bridges, some controll panel lights, controlled cooling, PCI changes, smart drives, etc.

These changes would not be reconized by the old OS 9 ROMs, and would problematic for booting -- since the only thing in the a MDD bootROM's OS 9 ROM file lookup sequence is the CD drive on the XServe.

---

People did take the old 9600 ROMs and put them into the Apple AIX server, but ran into a bunch of problems.

Most likely you'd have problems getting a MDD's bootROM hacked to boot OS 9 XServe, then more problems with the OS 9 ROM file recognizing the hardware changes.

[Edit -- You can however get Mac OS X Server (the software) running on a Rev. A MDD PowerMac, and buy the Legacy Mac new from Apple]

digiculture
Oct 31, 2003, 02:22 PM
Ah, well I didn't understand half of that but it sounds like you know what you're saying and I DID understand "propably not"

Ah well, thanks anyway.

Gústi

CMillerERAU
Oct 31, 2003, 02:58 PM
Just a while back I was wondering the same thing so I took my journalism office's Xserve offline (over the weekend) and threw in an OS 9 CD. It went to a white screen with black type, open firmware mode I think. So basically that's a negative, thankfully it booted up normally after restarting into OS X Server

G5orbust
Nov 1, 2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by digiculture
Ah, well I didn't understand half of that but it sounds like you know what you're saying and I DID understand "propably not"

Ah well, thanks anyway.

Gústi

Well, to simplify what he said:

The Xserve's hardware has changes that only OSX can use. In OS9, the changes wont work and wont let the xserve work.

To simplify even more:

No.