PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Problem

Domenic182
Mar 11, 2008, 08:22 PM
So I go to routers in WiFi settings and my router is definitely there, I click it, and put in the password and it connects perfect and everything. The iPod Touch is showing full bars for WiFi, but when I go to Safari, and every other application that needs internet the server cannot be found. Now I've tried restoring the iPod, I've tried taking all security off the router, I've done a lot of stuff. What's wrong?

I'm on a 16gig iPod Touch, 1.1.4 with the software update.
Linksys Router WRT45G

McGiord
Mar 11, 2008, 08:24 PM
Try a reset to factory settings and test it again.
________
volcano digital vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/volcano-vaporizer)

Domenic182
Mar 11, 2008, 08:30 PM
Try a reset to factory settings and test it again.
I've tried that, with no results :[

y0jeremy
Mar 11, 2008, 09:18 PM
Verify your touch has an ip/subnet/router/dns

Home > Settings > Wi-Fi > (Your Network) >

Verify the IP/Subnet/Router & DNS are correct.

Domenic182
Mar 11, 2008, 09:26 PM
Verify your touch has an ip/subnet/router/dns

Home > Settings > Wi-Fi > (Your Network) >

Verify the IP/Subnet/Router & DNS are correct.Yessir I checked all that and it's all the same.
This is a doozy!

y0jeremy
Mar 11, 2008, 09:33 PM
have you tried multiple sites? yahoo/google/msn/apple ? has it ever worked online ? what type of wireless router is it?

kde82.Linux
Mar 20, 2008, 09:24 AM
So I go to routers in WiFi settings and my router is definitely there, I click it, and put in the password and it connects perfect and everything. The iPod Touch is showing full bars for WiFi, but when I go to Safari, and every other application that needs internet the server cannot be found. Now I've tried restoring the iPod, I've tried taking all security off the router, I've done a lot of stuff. What's wrong?

I'm on a 16gig iPod Touch, 1.1.4 with the software update.
Linksys Router WRT45G

so I am guessing you have other PC or mac's at home that connect to the router. do thay have the same problem?

bonnybilly
Mar 20, 2008, 09:37 AM
I had this problem - just make sure you are typing in the password correctly.

McGiord
Mar 20, 2008, 09:57 AM
Update the router firmware, are you sure it's 45 and not 54 ?

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859841396&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4139637314B03

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859837401&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=3740141396B07
________
Corvette C6.R (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C6.R)

keysersoze
Mar 21, 2008, 10:52 AM
Yes, update the router firmware, which I had to do with my crappy Netgear. Additionally, if that doesn't work, unplug the router, count to 10, pray, plug it in, let it cycle and try connecting again.

I found unplugging and cycling an Airport Express enabled me to connect my iPod touch to it. Good luck. :)

Domenic182
Mar 22, 2008, 03:31 PM
Updating the router accompanied with switching from a WPA to WEP worked like magic! Thanks fans!

huvanile
Mar 24, 2008, 11:50 PM
I had the same problem as described running a 2wire router. I changed the wep password from a 13 character ascii one to a 5 character ascii one (reducing encryption from 128bit to 64bit). works like a charm now.

kde82.Linux
Mar 25, 2008, 11:56 AM
Updating the router accompanied with switching from a WPA to WEP worked like magic! Thanks fans!

NOW I first want to say this is my Personal mind set of how it should work. Please take it for face vaul.

I personally would never very use WEP. it like inviting people to hack your Network.

I have the 32gb Touch, Wii, Two Tvio's, two Laptop, and a HTC Mogule WM6, that all connect to my NETGEAR router. and I have a 15 chart Password for my WPA TKA code, plus locking down the Device to the MAC Address and hiding my SSH.

I begging you to try to find my router and then hack pass my three Firewall configure house.

long shorty for you DUD I am advising you to please DO NOT again DO NOT used WEP unless you want to turn into a "starbucks" where everyone can get your internet.

thanks
TUX

crazzyeddie
Mar 25, 2008, 02:29 PM
... and I have a 15 chart Password for my WPA TKA code, plus locking down the Device to the MAC Address and hiding my SSH.

I begging you to try to find my router and then hack pass my three Firewall configure house.

Honestly, if someone wanted to hack your network it wouldn't be terribly difficult. Finding the "hidden" SSID and duplicating a MAC address of one of your devices can be done in 30 seconds or less with a very simple wifi scanning tool.

Cracking the WPA(1 or 2) password can be done, although it might take some time, but honestly who the heck cares about hacking into your wireless network? Whether you use WPA or WEP, someone would likely need a reason to hack into your network rather than use an open network a few houses away.

The only reason to use wireless security is to deter casual access to your network. If someone really wants in, ANY wireless network is a huge security risk. Whats much, much more important is the security on each device you're using.

iSheahan
Mar 25, 2008, 04:30 PM
....someone would likely need a reason to hack into your network rather than use an open network a few houses away.

The only reason to use wireless security is to deter casual access to your network. If someone really wants in, ANY wireless network is a huge security risk. Whats much, much more important is the security on each device you're using.

Well said - the only reason to really use encryption anyway. Unless you're a gov spy and have secret docs to far off lands and know many ppl you've had to 'off' cuz they knew too much... mwahahahahaha! okay, sorry. couldn't resist that one. :D

kde82.Linux
Mar 25, 2008, 07:19 PM
Well said - the only reason to really use encryption anyway. Unless you're a gov spy and have secret docs to far off lands and know many ppl you've had to 'off' cuz they knew too much... mwahahahahaha! okay, sorry. couldn't resist that one. :D

WOW thanks

Domenic182
Mar 25, 2008, 11:49 PM
WOW thanksI'm not really worried about anyone taking my internet. I live in a place where everyone has internet!