Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Who thinks it'll happen? Plus an alum Apple Remote now that they've made it an optional item to buy (with the laptops)

Tom McMahon

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Won't happen

Injection molds are expensive and as they're already built, they would be stupid to scrap them (aluminum would require either a stamping or casting). The remote is a possibility as it would require an extrusion and the remote is very close in cross section to the iPod Shuffle and previous gen Nano.

Senor360

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
plus...

If it were made out of aluminum, how could you destroy it when you get mad at it? :)

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
I wish they would make one, but I doubt they will.
The white mouse looks so out of place which is a big deal if one of the major reasons in getting an iMac is the design.

gorby

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
So how about black? It would match the "trim".

But then it would not match the keyboard, or remote (unless, as suggested an Alu remote surfaces)

They really only kinda took the design halfway there regarding the Alu iMacs and the accessories.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
New Keyboard Coming

But then it would not match the keyboard, or remote (unless, as suggested an Alu remote surfaces)

They really only kinda took the design halfway there regarding the Alu iMacs and the accessories.

I betcha we will see a ALuminum and Black keyboard -- much like the MBA. This will happen sooner than later. :D

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
I betcha we will see a ALuminum and Black keyboard -- much like the MBA. This will happen sooner than later. :D
I'd love that if the mouse matched it. Even more so if they bothered to be sensible and made a full size wireless keyboard!

/me grumbles about choosing between wireless and number of buttons :rolleyes:

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
As an option, plastic can be vacuplated to look like assorted metals. You can also find aluminum spray paint that will adhere to plastics pretty well. I use a Bluetooth dell mouse in black and silver with my iMac. Looks not bad as the iMac sits on a black topped desk. ;)

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I'd be happy if they want back to the clear plastic mouse of the early 2000's...with some BT and multi button updates like the MM. I always thought it was a great look.

499px-Apple_mouse_Pro_black.jpg

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I expect some type of bluetooth multi-touch trackpad is coming. or a Multitouch mouse.

I hope for black as well, but Apple has a nack for releasing white products with things that are aluminum and black. Like the Superdrive cable to the Macbook Air, the headphones to the iPhone, the power cable to the iMac, the Keyboard keys to the new keyboards and so forth.

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
I'd be happy if they want back to the clear plastic mouse of the early 2000's...with some BT and multi button updates like the MM. I always thought it was a great look.

I love that look as well,.. I doubt that apple would do this, but I have been wrong before.

I expect some type of bluetooth multi-touch trackpad is coming. or a Multitouch mouse.

Multi touch seems like a gimmick to me,.. on the iPhone it makes sense.. extra gestures (for the most part) on Macbook Pros make sense (the image rotation stuff looks like crap imo), but not on a desktop. I have seen a desktop keyboard w/ a built in track pad and it looked or functioned horribly.

treasurefinder

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
it'd be interesting if apple replaces the scroll ball with a touchpad. an alum mouse would be pretty sweet as well, but the shape would have to be very boxy.

Mikey-

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
England

I hope for black as well, but Apple has a nack for releasing white products with things that are aluminum and black. Like the Superdrive cable to the Macbook Air, the headphones to the iPhone, the power cable to the iMac, the Keyboard keys to the new keyboards and so forth.

A multi-touch mouse would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.