Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
No, not likely. It wouldn't even be a bto option on the Mini - not until they offer it on the more expensive machines. Even now the Mini's max bto is 160, even though Apple sells larger drives on other machines.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Greate for my MacBook! Although I can get a WD Passport 250GB for $140 and use the enclosure for my 120GB drive so its not really value for money for me. Super size though and they use the same perpendicular technology as the "server grade" 1TB drives of the Time Capsule. Wonder how the speeds are?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
installing aftermarket hd equals bye bye applecare

I was looking into upgrading my core duo imac with a 7200 rpm notebook drive. An applecare rep told me that installing any hard drive not approved by apple for the mini would nullify my applecare, even if it was done by an apple certified service provider.

yeah, you could quote a couple of various federal laws that prohibit that sort of thing, especially if the problem you're trying to have fixed under warranty wasn't caused by the new hd, but i want coverage, not a potential lawsuit against apple.

honestly, i think this sort of strict big brother approach turns a lot of people off of buying macs.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
You could buy the drive by itself and stick it in a mini, however the drive won't work in an iMac because the iMac uses desktop drives (and not notebook drives)

Cave Man

macrumors 604
You could buy the drive by itself and stick it in a mini, however the drive won't work in an iMac because the iMac uses desktop drives (and not notebook drives)

You *could* put a 2.5" drive in an iMac. After all, it's a SATA interface. You'd have to also kill the 12V line to the drive. Unless you're wanting to make your iMac run cooler and have less capacity, there's no good reason to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.