PDA

View Full Version : G4 Tower Shut Down problems

lewdvig
Nov 2, 2003, 02:52 AM
I can not put my Mac to sleep or shut it down - it always wakes or restarts.

It seems to be related to my monitor, an 18" LCD using VGA connection with the Apple VGA to DVI adapter.

I can not start my Mac withour the monitor being physically disconnected.

Anyone ever hear of such a problem?

manitoubalck
Nov 2, 2003, 05:49 AM
I had similar issues with my PC not turning off, but that was related to a fauty PCI card, it's good that you've isolated the problem. If the screen or computer is under warrenty you shouldn't have any problems getting a repalacement, if not however a new screen or graphics card may be on the cards.

happy hunting;)

I was unaware that the P4 was avaliable in a 3.36GHz, I thought 3.2GHz was the current max, unless of course you've overclocked it? Just wondering.

lewdvig
Nov 2, 2003, 11:24 AM
I overclock everything!

Mine is a 2.4C running 275*4 FSB. It could do more but I like my machines quiet.

lewdvig
Nov 2, 2003, 02:31 PM
It was the Atec Monitor. Nice cheap 18" (made by LG) but it does not support the Mac. Strange.

I think its sending a signal through the VGA cable that causes the Mac to wake or restart.

Rezet
Nov 2, 2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by lewdvig
I can not put my Mac to sleep or shut it down - it always wakes or restarts.

It seems to be related to my monitor, an 18" LCD using VGA connection with the Apple VGA to DVI adapter.

I can not start my Mac withour the monitor being physically disconnected.

Anyone ever hear of such a problem?

It's probably the analog/digital convertion error. I had similar problem on my G5 with older Compaq monitor, when G5 boots up but monitor doesnt turn on. Or won't shutdown properly.
Once I got myself a brand new Apple flat panel LCD, havent seen this kinda problem after. I'd suggest selling your monitor (which i assume is Sony) and getting DVI or Apple monitor.