Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xvrockerlouvx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Of course i'll unplug it 2-3 times a month and run the battery down to condition it, but other than that, is it bad to leave it plugged in 24/7, including when not using it and it's turned off? Thanks.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
Of course i'll unplug it 2-3 times a month and run the battery down to condition it, but other than that, is it bad to leave it plugged in 24/7, including when not using it and it's turned off? Thanks.

batteries will all die eventually. as long as you unplug and drain it once a week you are fine. when I bought my mbp used the battery health was 49%. I keep it plugged in all the time and use it as a desktop so I unplug it once a week. The health has gone back up to 54% now.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I wouldn't stress out about it. I mean, as long as you have it unplugged every once in a while, it should be fine. Then again, if you have it plugged in 24/7 why'd you get a laptop :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :D :apple:

EB66

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I don't think it will hurt it, i believe apple reccommends draining the battery at least once a month though

im pretty sure it trickle charges itself when its plugged in

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I just recalibrated my battery by running it down to 0%. As soon as it hit zero health jumped from 54% to 89% and the battery percentage jumped back up. To over 30 and gave me another hour of battery life! I highly recommend recalibratong once per month.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I haven't seen any ill effects from having my laptop plugged for weeks at a time. I do calibrate once a month and the battery health stays pretty decent.

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Te Wai Pounamu, New Zealand
My MB (late 2006 model) is plugged in and running pretty much all the time (day and night) and generally only unplugged to give a lecture (about four times a week for an our or two duration) during regular semester time (26 weeks a year in total). The odd time I'll have it on battery in our lounge or a meeting, but not that often.

I hardly ever recycle. 60 cycles and health is 100% according to iStat.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I had my 17" Macbook Pro on my dek for a year. I used it as a desktop attached to a cinema display. It was plugged in 24/7. I too let the battery cycle properly in the event I would use it as a lapop, which I never did.

When I did eventually take the laptop of the desk to sell it on eBay I discovered that the aluminum battery backing had warped/bowed from heat/lack of airflow. So make sure that there is proper airflow under the unit. Maybe gett a laptop cooler.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I wouldn't stress out about it. I mean, as long as you have it unplugged every once in a while, it should be fine. Then again, if you have it plugged in 24/7 why'd you get a laptop :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :D :apple:

I for one wanted a desktop, but wanted a 30" Cinema Display too. The Mac Pro being too expensive at the time, I opted for the cheaper Macbook Pro. Also, I certainly couldn't afford both, so If I went on vaction or to someone's house, I'd maybe want to bring a laptop along. So I understand people using laptops for desktop replacement.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I keep my MBP plugged in 24x7, except when I am traveling, and my battery health and charge time is still very good. You have a fixed number of charge/discharge cycles, so why waste them if you don't need to, except for maybe conditioning the battery once in a while...

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I keep my MacBook plugged in all the time as well. I have used 3 battery cycles in 2 months. My health is 100%. I am due for a cycling soon.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
My MacBook sits for weeks on end at times, plugged in and running BOINC.

I am at 100% health with 23 cycles.

As long as you drain it every once in a while, I don't think there's any need to worry.

kluckste

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
response to battery question

I'm at 158 cycles on my mb and i'm still at 100% health. I attribute that to letting it drain down once per week. However, seeing some of the testimonials above makes me question whether or not i have to do so. thanks for all the feedback...

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
sooner or later it will have to be plug-in

my computer:

according to coconutBattery 2.5.1

MacBook Core Duo, black
Age of your mac: 43 months ~3.5 years
Battery-Loadcycles: 341

Original Battery Capacity: 5200 mAh
Current Battery Capacity: 743 mAh (14% of original)

It barely last 15 minutes on battery now. This is the original battery. The first year I had my macbook, on frequent occasions I would use it without wire, but since year two plugin was the only viable way to use the computer. I don't have a problem with this. I've always thought a laptop was more of a light computer that you can move about easily, not necessary a wireless computer on your lap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.