Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I have a Nikon D40. What 3rd party lens company's could I buy from and have the lens work with my camera?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, and Zeiss make Nikon mount lenses.

Only Sigma has now lenses with motors that autofocus on the D40, D40x, and D60. The ones that say are HSM also for Nikon.

Tamron is going to release a couple of lenses with motors, too.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
your question is a little too unspecific.

the big 3rd party lens makers (i.e. sigma, tamron) all produce lenses for the nikon mount.

as you have a d40 you have to remember this:
your body can only autofocus with lenses that have the focus motor built into them.
that would be nikon lenses with 'af-s' or sigma lenses with 'hsm' in their name. As for tamron, they do have at least one lens (18-250) that does autofocus with the d40, but it has no special designation.

if you want the forum members to help you in a more precise way, please provide the following information:
+what focal length do you want
+your budget would also help

also these things can also help the forum members to help you:
+what lenses do you already have?
+what do you need the new lens for?

have a nice day.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It's not enough that a Sigma lens have HSM in the generic description. It must say specifically that it is HSM in the Nikon version.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
your question is a little too unspecific.

if you want the forum members to help you in a more precise way, please provide the following information:
+what focal length do you want
+your budget would also help

+what lenses do you already have?
+what do you need the new lens for?

I already have kid 18-55 mm lens. Then the 55-200 mm lens. I am looking at a lens that would a good all around lens. The 18-250 mm sound like a lens that I would look into. Could you send me a link to where I could by that lens? My budget is like 200 - 450.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Your lenses already cover the range from 18 to 200 mm.
Therefore, and this is my opinion, I would not buy a lens that covers almost the identical range.

The only thing you would gain is that you wouldn't have to swap lenses.
All-around lenses always have drawbacks, replacing your two lens setup by one superzoom, would probably only hurt image quality.

Concentrate on your style of photography and see where the real limitations are for you. Those could be: limited range, low-light shots, macro, etc.

I hope that somone else can comment in here too.

Side note:
The Tamron 18-250 is about 500 us dollars i think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.