PDA

View Full Version : mkv (and other formats) screenshot thumbnails in Finder

kanketsu
Mar 16, 2008, 08:32 PM
Hello,

I have Perian 1.1 installed. As you can see in the attached screenshots, the .avi files now show their respective screencaps in Finder. But the .mkv only show as VLC icons. Is there a way to make it appear naturally like the avi files?
(actual screenshots instead of generic icons)

P.S. It should be mentioned that the .mkv can be played in Quicklook (although it somehow strains my Macbook).

Krafty
Mar 16, 2008, 08:44 PM
Quicklook or Quicktime?

kanketsu
Mar 16, 2008, 08:59 PM
Both quicktime player & quicklook.

The .mp4 files which show as generic icons won't play in QL/QT, though.

TheStu
Mar 16, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hello,

I have Perian 1.1 installed. As you can see in the attached screenshots, the .avi files now show their respective screencaps in Finder. But the .mkv only show as VLC icons. Is there a way to make it appear naturally like the avi files?
(actual screenshots instead of generic icons)

P.S. It should be mentioned that the .mkv can be played in Quicklook (although it somehow strains my Macbook).

Quicklook or Quicktime? I can play MKVs in Quicktime, but they need to fully load before i can play them, and even then, they are a little stuttery, they play much better in VLC.

kanketsu
Mar 16, 2008, 09:24 PM
Quicklook or Quicktime? I can play MKVs in Quicktime, but they need to fully load before i can play them, and even then, they are a little stuttery, they play much better in VLC.

Both. No thumbnails in Finder, though - just generic icons.

richard.mac
Mar 16, 2008, 10:11 PM
download Perian (perian.org) and install it. then set your mkvs to always open with QuickTime Player in their get info window. then download Perian Type Installer (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25243) and install.

kanketsu
Mar 16, 2008, 11:03 PM
download Perian (perian.org) and install it. then set your mkvs to always open with QuickTime Player in their get info window. then download Perian Type Installer (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25243) and install.

richthomas, I've already installed Perian 1.1. But I followed what you said anyway (the second & third step, although when I opened Peian Type Installer, it said that .mkv is already installed). Unfortunately the result is not very pretty: some generic icons, albeit different ones.

richard.mac
Mar 17, 2008, 01:54 AM
richthomas, I've already installed Perian 1.1. But I followed what you said anyway (the second & third step, although when I opened Peian Type Installer, it said that .mkv is already installed). Unfortunately the result is not very pretty: some generic icons, albeit different ones.

hold the option key and right click on the mkv files and choose "Always open with -> QuickTime Player". if QuickTime Player isnt in the list click "Other…" and choose it in the window that opens.

kanketsu
Mar 17, 2008, 02:51 AM
hold the option key and right click on the mkv files and choose "Always open with -> QuickTime Player". if QuickTime Player isnt in the list click "Other…" and choose it in the window that opens.

That's exactly what I did. I'm afraid the result is what I posted in previous post's attachment. I restarted the Macbook twice to see if they would somehow"refresh" their thumbnails.. alas, no such luck.

richard.mac
Mar 17, 2008, 03:06 AM
That's exactly what I did. I'm afraid the result is what I posted in previous post's attachment. I restarted the Macbook twice to see if they would somehow"refresh" their thumbnails.. alas, no such luck.

do they play with QuickTime? i dont have any mkvs atm but when i did some had Quick Look previews and some had an MKV QuickTime icon from the Perian Type Installer. try removing mkv from the Perian Type Installer and just use VLC to open it or QuickTime using open with.

ill backup one of my DVDs to mkv using HandBrake now and report back to tell you if they have an icon.

CrashRay
Mar 18, 2008, 07:20 AM
That doesn't work in my Mac also.
But it will be great :D
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8299/picture1ue7.png

richard.mac
Mar 18, 2008, 08:43 AM
yeah my mkv file doesnt have an icon preview but it opens in QuickTime Player fine. i recall that flvs and avis have icon previews.

kanketsu
Mar 22, 2008, 09:24 PM
So there is no working solution yet.. :(

muitommy
Mar 24, 2008, 11:32 PM
same here,
i can't even got proper icon preview, got some "white document" or "exec" icons ... :mad:

richard.mac
Mar 24, 2008, 11:45 PM
So there is no working solution yet.. :(

i found this (http://www.quicklookplugins.com/2007/12/16/mkv-matroska-video-files/) guide which tells you how to get mkvs to play in Quick Look. but apparently theres currently no way to make mkvs have icon previews.

same here,
i can't even got proper icon preview, got some "white document" or "exec" icons ... :mad:

have you followed the steps above to make mkvs have a QuickTime icon?

muitommy
Mar 25, 2008, 12:02 AM
oh:D, i missed the perian's type installer, thanks!
hmm, that's left me the thumbnails fix and it's all i want:)

richard.mac
Mar 25, 2008, 12:10 AM
… that's left me the thumbnails fix and it's all i want

read my last post :)

muitommy
Mar 25, 2008, 12:18 AM
i have gone through that post :)
i really insist that Apple should put more effort to develop Quick Look ...

richard.mac
Mar 25, 2008, 12:29 AM
i have gone through that post :)
i really insist that Apple should put more effort to develop Quick Look ...

Mac OS X's QuickTime layer only supports mpeg natively just like Windows only supports wmv natively.

mkv, divx etc are open source so Apple doesnt have to support them and either does Microsoft. codec packs like k-lite enable windows to play open source codecs and Perian allows these codecs to play in QuickTime in OS X. of course theres also VLC which is open source and plays all these codecs too.

for mkv icon previews its up to an open source developer to create a Quick Look plug-in. maybe Perian will develop a Quick Look plug-in in its next release?

kanketsu
Mar 26, 2008, 08:24 PM
Perhaps we should ask them then :)

paxman
Mar 30, 2008, 06:29 AM
http://www.quicklookplugins.com/2007/12/16/mkv-matroska-video-files/

this plist edit of quicktime shown above allows quicklook to view mkv files. there is a bit of a glitch when watching mkvs in finder coverflow but the video play fine.

however....

the icons still don't show with a preview of the file (thumbnail) like the other file formats such as .mpeg, .mov, .mp4 and even .avi. Is this because Perian has to load the entire mkv into memory?

muitommy
Apr 30, 2008, 09:03 PM
lately, i find that the icon preview can solved by simply convert the mkv to mov. but i wonder if there will be any disadvantages doing in this way?
afaik, it's just the change of container, but will the quality of video and audio, and the extend functions like subtitle be affected? i'm not quite familiar, please someone share, thanks!

richard.mac
May 1, 2008, 12:32 AM
http://www.quicklookplugins.com/2007/12/16/mkv-matroska-video-files/

this plist edit of quicktime shown above allows quicklook to view mkv files. there is a bit of a glitch when watching mkvs in finder coverflow but the video play fine.

however....

the icons still don't show with a preview of the file (thumbnail) like the other file formats such as .mpeg, .mov, .mp4 and even .avi. Is this because Perian has to load the entire mkv into memory?

um… i linked that same page and explained that icon previews for .mkv are still not possible in post #15.

lately, i find that the icon preview can solved by simply convert the mkv to mov. but i wonder if there will be any disadvantages doing in this way?
afaik, it's just the change of container, but will the quality of video and audio, and the extend functions like subtitle be affected? i'm not quite familiar, please someone share, thanks!

did you save it as a self-contained movie with QuickTime Pro or did you simply give it a ".mov" extension. if the later then there wont be any quality loss and this could be the "work-around" for giving .mkv an icon preview.

muitommy
May 2, 2008, 08:45 AM
i save it as self-contained mov with qtp :rolleyes:

stainlessliquid
May 2, 2008, 05:32 PM
Have you tried renaming the file to .avi? Im not in OSX right now so I cant try it, but it works fine in Windows when you have mkv or ogg's that wont create thumbnails despite playing fine in WMP. Quicktime might be more picky about file extensions unlike WMP which could care less, if the extension is not exactly right then it may just give an error, so I dont know if it works.
The disadvantage would be if you ever need to play it in Windows then you are **** out of luck. It will just give an error and theres no way to fix it afterwards. So I would never do that to files I want to keep for years, you never know what OS you might be using or have to use. I have one file I did that to that I wish I didnt. Quicktime for Windows has no third party codecs and probably never will, this is all Apple's fault for making Quicktime so closed off to the rest of the world and not using installed codecs that all the other players use.

muitommy
May 6, 2008, 04:23 AM
thanks.. but,
what do you mean cannot play?
the fact is i can play the mov in vista with media player classic,
maybe there're some problems with your installed codec :eek:

maclovin'
Sep 29, 2008, 03:09 PM
Any new news on this yet? I noticed this is kind of an old thread and I was wondering if there has been a solution since the last post. It's not a big deal, but my movies stack would look a whole lot nicer without this one mkv file.

Cave Man
Sep 29, 2008, 03:16 PM
The solution is to use Plex (although not for the Finder). :)

maclovin'
Sep 29, 2008, 03:43 PM
The solution is to use Plex (although not for the Finder). :)

How does that answer the question at all? I just downloaded it, and it doesn't seem like a bad alternative to Front Row, but it doesn't fix the problem of having no icon preview for mkv files.

ironjaw
Dec 13, 2008, 12:52 PM
Don't use quicktime to "save as a self contained movie".

I tried one mkv file and it couldn't play the audio, so I'm still doing the .mov reference only for iTunes so I can see all the organized movies I have - I still prefer and use Plex for watching though:D

muitommy
Dec 19, 2008, 06:42 AM
that could be a good idea to save a reference movie unless u don't move around the files. :D and that would be cool if i can batch to save it all, cus it's troublesome to open it one by one. cus i have quite a number of mkv files. :o

l0ckd0wn
Feb 24, 2009, 05:31 PM
a manual solution that worked for me: open *.mkv file in Quicktime Player ( with Perian installed) and let it load completely. Choose the screenshot via slider in Quicktime and Edit > Copy, switch to Finder > File Info and paste over existing thumbnail :)

ohkuipo
Jul 17, 2009, 09:42 PM
Raising an old thread for the curious..... is the best (and seemingly only) solution still what l0dockown posted above?

applejockey
Aug 27, 2009, 11:36 AM
I have the same problem with my .flv files....

a manual solution that worked for me: open *.mkv file in Quicktime Player ( with Perian installed) and let it load completely. Choose the screenshot via slider in Quicktime and Edit > Copy, switch to Finder > File Info and paste over existing thumbnail :)
So far this seems to be the only way.

I recently asked a similar question on another board and here was the most detailed reply
Someone posted this on another board though I have yet to try it though as im not very verse in automator and scripting

Aug 23, 2009, 05:13 PM

I created an Automator script that converted my movie from format [I]x[\I] to FLV then created a poster frame. Basically, it used ffmpeg, which is a free command line utility. You cannot find the binary to download, but if you download ffmpegx and look inside the package you can extract the pre-compiled ffmpeg binary which works without the shareware GUI wrapper (e.g. ffmpegx). I am in my BootCamp so I don't have access to my Automator script (to extract the command line to generate the poster frame) but it's easy to Google that part/.
Here's the arguments I use to generate a poster frame using ffmpeg in the command line (but called in Automator):

Code:

for f in "$@"
do
/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -i "$f" -an -ss 00:00:03 -t 00:00:01 -r 1 -y -s 320x240 /Users/craig/Desktop/video%d.jpg
done

Raising an old thread for the curious..... is the best (and seemingly only) solution still what l0dockown posted above?

Im resurrecting this thread too.It's hard to believe the only way to do this is thru copy past...
I have hundreds of files from youtube ...

section.echo
Feb 17, 2011, 07:56 PM
Problem Solved, this mill make *Most* avi, mkv, mov...Really doe's not matter if it is associated with quicktime, vlc..whatever....

You can find the codec here:
http://n.ethz.ch/student/naegelic/download/

jmh600cbr
Feb 14, 2012, 06:12 PM
Problem Solved, this mill make *Most* avi, mkv, mov...Really doe's not matter if it is associated with quicktime, vlc..whatever....

You can find the codec here:
http://n.ethz.ch/student/naegelic/download/

does this actually work to show thumbnails?

wikus
Mar 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
does this actually work to show thumbnails?

Its a link to download the XviD component. Which won't help for MKV thumbnail previews.

I'm pretty bummed about this for a few reasons;

I use Handbrake to encode all of my movies. If I set the container to .m4v with high profile (trellis off being the only modification) I am unable to fast forward using my Western Digital TV. If I use the same encoder settings but using the .mkv container, it works fine on my WDTV and the playback is quicker than in m4v when playing it back via VLC on the computer.

The trade off is that mkv shows no thumbnails in OS X 10.6.8, while all m4v files do. While the thumbnails are nice to have, the question is; is it really worth it? Most of the thumbnails display a frame thats a few seconds into the movie. Knowing what most of us use these formats for, this is what basically all the thumbnails end up looking like;

http://i41.tinypic.com/2mmxnxx.jpg

It's not very exciting or even helpful seeing either a black box of nothing or a preview of the studio's intro/logo.

I do have a question though;

If I install Perian to support MKV playback and set VLC as my default application to open all MKV files, will it at least enable 'Quick Look' ?

unl0cker
Jun 11, 2012, 10:13 PM
Works fine here under Lion .4

Sometimes is best to leave the icon size to 64. Dunno why always work here.

Also try to force the creation by downsizing the window and scrolling the icons up and down.