PDA

View Full Version : Record Audio Tapes to CDs ... ???

vjmacaddict
Mar 17, 2008, 06:38 PM
What would be the cheapest, easiest, and best way to record music from our audio tapes onto CDs? I would be using my G4 iBook, running OS X 10.4.11. Thanks.

CanadaRAM
Mar 17, 2008, 06:42 PM
Life's Rulebook: Cheap, Easy, Best -- if you're lucky, you'll get 2 of the three

The cheapest way is with a headphone-plug to 2 x RCA plug splitter cable - hook that to the playback output of your cassette deck or the record out of your receiver, and then into the Line In jack on your iBook.

Use GarageBand if you have it or the free Audacity (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15063) program to capture the audio to AIFF files.

Use iTunes to import those AIFF files, make a playlist out of them, and then burn a CD

DJJONES
Mar 17, 2008, 06:47 PM
make sure u record them into wav or aiff files so u know your getting the best quality out of them. then convert them to mp3 or what ever format u use.
dont record them over 0db in audacity either that will distort and damage the sound quality as well

JeanE
Mar 18, 2008, 09:11 AM
Well, it depends whether your ibook has an Audio-in for the Minijack plug...or not.

Also, not knowing the quality of your headphone output of your Casetterecorder, I recommend to use an USB Audio interface of the lowcost-area like you can buy for ca 50-80.
It has Cinch inputs and (or not) an Line-Mic switch. Power works via USB.

There is also an application called Vinyl which has an CCIR correction for turntables, I presume it's for free.
But, as you has Garageband 3 at least, take it for recording your casettes.

Check at EDIROL.com for "USB Audio interface UA-1EX"

or similar

vjmacaddict
Mar 18, 2008, 09:52 PM
Life's Rulebook: Cheap, Easy, Best -- if you're lucky, you'll get 2 of the three

The cheapest way is with a headphone-plug to 2 x RCA plug splitter cable - hook that to the playback output of your cassette deck or the record out of your receiver, and then into the Line In jack on your iBook.

Use GarageBand if you have it or the free Audacity (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15063) program to capture the audio to AIFF files.

Use iTunes to import those AIFF files, make a playlist out of them, and then burn a CD

When I installed Tiger (erased HD) I didn't know that Tiger doesn't have Garage Band, so now I don't have Garage Band. Seems like the only way to get it back is to erase the HD, then reinstall Panther, then reinstall Tiger .... Can't do that ....

Is there any way to get back Garage Band without having to pay for it again? I already paid for OS X 10.0, then paid for OS X Panther, then paid for OS X Tiger ... Do I have to buy OS X Leopard, just to get Garage Band? Also need iMovie, and probably several other applications ....