PDA

View Full Version : In I can have a 3GHZ PC laptop, Why cant I have a powerbook G5?


Vlade
Nov 3, 2003, 10:15 PM
What's hotter, a Intel 3.0GHZ CPU in a laptop, or a G5 in a laptop. Intel uses well over double the power than the G5's, so why can't we get one in a laptop case and they can? Am I missing something here?

:confused:

Rezet
Nov 3, 2003, 10:22 PM
Am I missing something?
Are you pro or anti apple?

chibianh
Nov 3, 2003, 10:44 PM
would u buy a powerbook G5 if it was thrown into a 3" thick enclosure? ;)

Wyrm
Nov 3, 2003, 10:53 PM
Apple doesn't play by the same rules as the other manufacturers.

I have come to conclude that Apple believes:
a) A laptop should be low power.
b) A laptop's weight should be minimal for the form it provides.
c) A laptop should be portable.
d) A laptop should be quiet.

None of these seems to apply to a Desktop chip P4, massive fan, heavy, luggable 3.06 PC.

Putting a G5 in a laptop form, while technically feasible, violates Apple beliefs... and therefore is not Thinking terribly Different. :D

-Wyrm

stoid
Nov 3, 2003, 10:59 PM
Apple is still warming up their Godly Massive Shoehorn of Processor Laptopage™ it takes awhile, and they shut it off after they got the G4 wedged in there because it was too costly to keeping running while they waited for a next generation chip. They should have it fully charged and running by the end of 2004 I would imagine.

Counterfit
Nov 3, 2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Wyrm
d) A laptop should be quiet. That is one of the things I love about Apple laptops, so freakin quiet! When I'm in English class, the loudest part of my PB are the keys (loudest in the class too I think). But my keys are almost drowned out by the five or so PeeC laptops' fans! I hear them and think "Is that mine?" Then I put ear a little closer and realize "Oh yeah, it's near silent :)"

stoid
Nov 3, 2003, 11:15 PM
Yeah, my roommates laptop whirrs so loud it keeps me up at night. And he STILL has problems with it over heating!

QCassidy352
Nov 3, 2003, 11:20 PM
what's up with that avatar vlade? pretty anti-mac, no? Just wondering...

leet1
Nov 3, 2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by stoid
Yeah, my roommates laptop whirrs so loud it keeps me up at night. And he STILL has problems with it over heating!

If he has a laptop thats overheating, he should take it to get serviced, theres no reason for it to be doing that.


If you want a quiet x86 laptop, IBM makes some great ones, my dad's is silent as can be. My compaq isn't too quiet, but can't be heard 3 people away while in class and the fan doesn't even kick on when the processor is in mobile mode.

jefhatfield
Nov 3, 2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by chibianh
would u buy a powerbook G5 if it was thrown into a 3" thick enclosure? ;)

as a techie i would get one as a curiosity if i just happened to have the money then

but as an everyday user- let's say a junior high school student, frail senior citizen, or small teenage girl, i would not want to throw my back out !!:)

lightwieght is now expected of any apple portable and i suspect there will be a G5 laptop next spring and it will be under 7 pounds...maybe under 6 pounds...that would be sweet:D

stoid
Nov 3, 2003, 11:44 PM
That's what hurts Apple. In some ways, Apple has raised the bar so high that if they produce a product that is anything less than stellar and perfect, they get flamed for it.

cr2sh
Nov 3, 2003, 11:45 PM
The 3GHz pentium chip was released ~last october (i think) - they've had a year to get them into laptops. The g5 has been out for 2months.... this time next year we'll have a g5 powerbook. (crosses fingers) :)

stoid
Nov 3, 2003, 11:54 PM
If you look at www.applehistory.com you will see that Apple took just over a year after the initial G4 release to get it into a laptop, I am guessing the same will happen here, I'm placing my better on the July MacWorld.

If the hamsters pedal really had they might get that ol' shoehorn powered up faster, but you know how reliable little furry rodents are.

lewdvig
Nov 4, 2003, 12:06 AM
The 3.06GHz P4 in laptops is a standard P4. Not a P4M.

Any laptop that has one is refered to as a portable. They are not really made for travel unless 1hr battery life and a carry weight of over ten pounds (including power brick) is considered managable.

My (rather harsh) opinion on these things is that they are essentially cheap SFF PCs for people with poor taste and a desire to own commodity junk. These things are good for LAN parties. A few higher profile companies make these things now - Alienware, Voodoo, etc. Its sad to think that anyone would pay $3k for a $700 ECS desknote with a $50 paint job and $100 MAGP upgrade.

No the 3.06 GHz P4 has not been out a year, just a few months.

The P3M, P4M, Centrino were/are nice technologies. But these portable monsters are horrible.

I don't think that Apple users want all these compromises in a laptop. 1.33Ghz and an ATI 9600 is enough for almost any task.

I think the G5 could be used in a PB today. It would be a little hot and would have a short battery life. I don't buy the G5 is too hot claim either. My P4 is overclocked to 3.36 and it needs almost 100 watts. That is a lot of heat. I can't imagine that the G5 is as hot.

My guess is that the PB will use the same chip that is going into XBox 2. Cheap, less power hungry and cooler. It will be out when the G6 is announced - january 2005.

tazo
Nov 4, 2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Vlade
What's hotter, a Intel 3.0GHZ CPU in a laptop, or a G5 in a laptop. Intel uses well over double the power than the G5's, so why can't we get one in a laptop case and they can? Am I missing something here?

:confused:

Because Apple does stuff right, and if ya dont want a 5 inch thick laptop you will have to wait until this summer for a G5 laptop

cr2sh
Nov 4, 2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by lewdvig
No the 3.06 GHz P4 has not been out a year, just a few months.

I mispoke, the 2.8GHz p4 has been out a year, while the 3GHz p4 shipped nearly 7 months ago.

Either way, his complaint is invalid.

mac15
Nov 4, 2003, 01:33 AM
yeah apple could bundle G5s into the powerbooks but who the hell wants 45mins battery life like on the P4s

leet1
Nov 4, 2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by mac15
yeah apple could bundle G5s into the powerbooks but who the hell wants 45mins battery life like on the P4s


alienware 3.0 gets 2 hours, not 45 ;)

manitoubalck
Nov 4, 2003, 02:18 AM
It will happen, and probably sooner than you think. There seems to be a misconception thta the heat sink must be of a fantastic size:rolleyes: The fact that the heatsink's in the desktop models are extremly large is to allow for a larger surface area, therefor a more passive approach can be taken to cooling, hence quieter.

The G5 laptop chips will no doubt be clocked around 1.2 or 1.4 GHz or maybe even as low as 1GHz to begin with with gradual speed increases as technology permits.

solvs
Nov 4, 2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by leet1
alienware 3.0 gets 2 hours, not 45 ;)

Funny, my Stepmom's Dell also claims to get around 2 hours. It actually get about an hour (if she's lucky). It also cuts the CPU speed nearly in 1/2, dimms the screen way down, is as heavy as a brick, hot enough to not be called a "Laptop" (let's just say, don't put it on a glass surface), etc.

I've seen the Alienwares. They ain't cheap, and I ain't impressed. But if that's what floats your boat, go ahead and buy it.

There's a reason Apple doesn't do this, not many would buy it.

leet1
Nov 4, 2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by solvs
Funny, my Stepmom's Dell also claims to get around 2 hours. It actually get about an hour (if she's lucky). It also cuts the CPU speed nearly in 1/2, dimms the screen way down, is as heavy as a brick, hot enough to not be called a "Laptop" (let's just say, don't put it on a glass surface), etc.

I've seen the Alienwares. They ain't cheap, and I ain't impressed. But if that's what floats your boat, go ahead and buy it.

There's a reason Apple doesn't do this, not many would buy it.


My $900 compaq amd 2400M gets 3h with power management off. What kind of Dell does she have?

I would take a Sager notebook over Alienware though, they are cheeper. 3Ghz/UXGA/dvd/cdwr/ect, for less than $2,000.

I guess 9 pounds is kind of heavy, but its not bad when your getting top of the line performance.

jefhatfield
Nov 4, 2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by stoid
That's what hurts Apple. In some ways, Apple has raised the bar so high that if they produce a product that is anything less than stellar and perfect, they get flamed for it.

so we are a year behind in the clock speed for portables

really, who cares?

the quality of mac portables speak for themselves and for most of us, they are plenty fast enough

jxyama
Nov 4, 2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by leet1
I guess 9 pounds is kind of heavy, but its not bad when your getting top of the line performance.

goodness, 9 lbs! that's twice as heavy as the 12" PB. most of it is probably the battery as it would take a very large one to get a decent battery life...

if you want "top of the line performance," wouldn't a desktop make more sense? at least to me, 9 lbs is not compatible with mobile computing. are there that many people who are so power/performance hungry that they'd tolerate lugging a 9lbs "laptop" around to do some work on the road? amazing...

p.s. my gf's dell gets 1 1/2 hours. it's a year old and the battery says it will last 3 hours, but doesn't.

jefhatfield
Nov 4, 2003, 08:35 AM
my antiquated PC laptop is over 7 1/2 pounds and it hurts carrying that thing around

i would hate to add 1 1/2 more pounds to my luggable computer load

leet1
Nov 4, 2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
my antiquated PC laptop is over 7 1/2 pounds and it hurts carrying that thing around

i would hate to add 1 1/2 more pounds to my luggable computer load


It hurts to carry 7 1/2 pounds around? :rolleyes: lol

jefhatfield
Nov 4, 2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by leet1
It hurts to carry 7 1/2 pounds around? :rolleyes: lol

i know, i know

really i do

i am getting old

i have gray in my stubble, i can't name all the rockstars on vh1 or mtv, and my ding a ling needs to stand closer to the urinal to avoid dripping on myself...and when mr ding a ling gets excited, the angle of that dangle and duration aint so great anymore

he he

so yeah, 7 1/2 pounds is heavy:p

beefcake
Nov 4, 2003, 09:28 AM
You really can't look at things in terms of laptop/desktop anymore. Within the laptop spectrum, there are portable notebooks and desktop replacements. A Powerbook, iBook, Thinkpad, or any Centrino falls into the portable notebook category, whereas some of the larger Dells and certainly Alienware laptops are nothing but desktop replacements.

You can't compare a Thinkpad to an Alienware laptop as there is a fundamental difference between the intended uses of the two. A thinkpad is a mobile computing platform and emphasizes battery life and low weight over power. Alienware desktop replacements are basically compact, light desktops. Battery life is poor at best, and although 9 lbs. may not sounds like much, its not something you want hanging from your shoulders all day. There isn't anything wrong with wanting an Alienware, I'd personally love to be able to shrink my desktop down to 9 compact pounds.

However, you can't compare them with Powerbooks. A Powerbook may be slower at individual tasks, but after an hour or two of intense use, the powerbook is 100% faster than the desktop replacement.

howard
Nov 4, 2003, 10:11 AM
i think the 17inch is a desktop replacement...i mean imagine moving that from room to room and having it on your lap....can't be nearly as comfortable as 12...15 is a tad big in my tastes but still works.

anyway, what if they beefed up the 17 inch a bit more...made it a little thicker and put in a g5. i think it would work pretty well...17 inch users i would guess are users who really tax there computer...and just want a laptop so they can movie place to place every once and awhile. so why not make it more powerful and sacrifice some of the portability..after all it is 17 inches!!

Thirteenva
Nov 4, 2003, 10:19 AM
I think its hilarious that everyone is still carrying on and the original poster has never returned. Obviously a troll.

rueyeet
Nov 4, 2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
my ding a ling needs to stand closer to the urinal to avoid dripping on myself...and when mr ding a ling gets excited, the angle of that dangle and duration aint so great anymore

Whoa there, hon....TMI! :o ;)

Vlade
Nov 4, 2003, 03:16 PM
First, my avatar is just to make apple fanatics mad, I smile every time someone gets mad about it (I know, I'm evil... :p )

I don't know what type of PC laptops you guys use, but the ones I have seen are alot nicer than you make it out to be. I should have reworded my question. Basically I mean to say that a 2GHZ pentium (or something still hotter than a G5) can get into a NICE laptop, so why can't a G5 which uses less heat. I'm pro apple, I just wonder why PEOPLE, not apple, make it sound like a G5 at the same wattage is way hotter than a G4 at the same wattage, and how people think just because the G5 has a BIG ASS heat sink, that it needs it (apple could have used a PC sized one, but they wanted it to be less reliant on fan speed)

beefcake
Nov 4, 2003, 03:24 PM
I don't think its a question of whether or not its possible to stick a G5 into a laptop casing and make it run reliably. It seems to me that with every PB update, people expect the notebook to become thinner and lighter, yet as the processor becomes more powerful, its an improvement to keep the notebook the same size. Add to that the complaints Apple would get if powerbooks were loud and hot, and there's your reason. Apple doesn't just have to slap a G5 chipset into the PB, they have to make it run like a dream.

toughboy
Nov 4, 2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by leet1
If he has a laptop thats overheating, he should take it to get serviced, theres no reason for it to be doing that.If you want a quiet x86 laptop, IBM makes some great ones, my dad's is silent as can be. My compaq isn't too quiet, but can't be heard 3 people away while in class and the fan doesn't even kick on when the processor is in mobile mode.

but the point is, IBM usually makes the "ugliest" notebooks ever.. nothing compares to the design of my 12"PB (maybe 15"PB would, I don't know! :))

leet1
Nov 4, 2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by toughboy
but the point is, IBM usually makes the "ugliest" notebooks ever.. nothing compares to the design of my 12"PB (maybe 15"PB would, I don't know! :))

IBM makes business laptops. I'm sure they could make it look just as good, if not better<yes, the PBs do look nice, can't go against that.>

plinkoman
Nov 4, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by stoid
If you look at www.applehistory.com you will see that Apple took just over a year after the initial G4 release to get it into a laptop, I am guessing the same will happen here, I'm placing my better on the July MacWorld.

If the hamsters pedal really had they might get that ol' shoehorn powered up faster, but you know how reliable little furry rodents are.

what makes you think that what happened with previous powerbooks will determine what will happen with these? how long it took the G4 has nothing to do with it.

latergator116
Nov 4, 2003, 05:48 PM
Kind of off topic but today our school got some new dell lattitude laptops for the science department and I had to use one. I love how they have those stupid color coded ports on the back. You must be realy stupid if you cant figure out that the usb port doesnt go into the parallel port. Also, didnt parrallel ports become obsolete like 5 years ago?

revenuee
Nov 4, 2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by plinkoman
what makes you think that what happened with previous powerbooks will determine what will happen with these? how long it took the G4 has nothing to do with it.


well it took almost 2 years not just over a year to do it

and the G4 suffered the same limitation that the G5 did, Hot extremely hot, i believe in early developments the G4 would crack the enclosure, thats why it went Ti in the first place.

"The 1.8 gigahertz version -- only the second-fastest -- of the PowerMac G5 microchip processor series sucks up a huge amount of power and puts out enough heat to burn toast." - macobserver

ya heat it an issue

latergator116
Nov 4, 2003, 06:19 PM
No.

It was an exxagertaion.

psycho bob
Nov 4, 2003, 08:09 PM
Lets face it though whatever your personal preferences PC or MAC there can be little doubt which laptop 'shape' machine is the most desirable. Look in any style magazine and you see a G4 powerbook. The 17in is without doubt the most most drool worthy machine ever. I know someone who has one of the new 17in Toshiba's but even he looks on enviously at the powerbook. Its beautiful, it's quiet, it doesn't get hot although everyone seems to love to say they do. Apart from the ATI 9600 in the updated model I wouldn't swap my 1st gen 17in for anything even 3gHz pentiums with flashy paint jobs and colour coded parallel ports!
The battery life is not even close to the iBooks but will wipe any PC under the table. Alienware may claim 2 hour battery life but lets face it thats with logging in and then initialising the screen saver for the remaining 119 minutes.
The new 15in powerbooks are without doubt the real portable choice. There maybe some screen issues but that's the LCD manufacturers fault and in my eyes doesn't diminish apples design job at all. The 12in is the ultimate travellers choice as a designer who does a lot of travelling I must admit to being tempted to buy a one despite the ownership of a new desktop and the PB on which I write this. Think I'll wait to see what nxt year brings though!
The reason apple take time to release products is because they get it right and its not like the PC world where a manufacturer brings a new model out week after week simply to force geeks to upgrade. I meant geek in a nice way so don't roast me please!:)
I still have a LC475 which gets regular use. Try using a PC over 11 years old!

Counterfit
Nov 4, 2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by psycho bob
There maybe some screen issues but that's the LCD manufacturers fault and in my eyes doesn't diminish apples design job at all. Actually, I think it's either design or manufacture of the PowerBooks. I'm leaning slightly more towards manufacture because not every machine (not mine either thankfully) has this problem.

Rezet
Nov 5, 2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Vlade
First, my avatar is just to make apple fanatics mad, I smile every time someone gets mad about it (I know, I'm evil... :p )



Heh, I kinda figured that. Why would one get mad about this? As long as you are not bashing Macs for no reason...
I actually like costructive criticism of Macs.
That avatar is pretty funny actually...

leet1
Nov 5, 2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by psycho bob
Lets face it though whatever your personal preferences PC or MAC there can be little doubt which laptop 'shape' machine is the most desirable. Look in any style magazine and you see a G4 powerbook. The 17in is without doubt the most most drool worthy machine ever.



Well don't get me wrong, the PB is nice and all, but there is better on the windows side, considering all the different choices in shapes, sizes you have to choose from on high end models. I like tablet PCs, as well as those Clamshell ones<think thats the name for them>

The battery life is not even close to the iBooks but will wipe any PC under the table. Alienware may claim 2 hour battery life but lets face it thats with logging in and then initialising the screen saver for the remaining 119 minutes.

Cnet tested it as 2 hours, that numbers not from their site, just fyi.

Counterfit
Nov 5, 2003, 01:04 AM
from Cnet's review of the Alienware Area 51m (http://reviews.cnet.com/Alienware_Area_51m/4505-3122_7-20857400-5.html?tag=review) (I assume this is the one you guys are referring to). The Area 51m was not able to complete this test with just its standard battery, a scenario that is not unheard of for this class of Pentium 4 notebooks. So, CNET Labs tested the Area 51m with two batteries in place: a 14.8V, 3,400mAh cell and a 14.8V, 4,000mAh cell. Even with two cells, the Area 51m proved to have lackluster battery life. Reaching just more than two hours, it comes nowhere near the nearly five hours achieved by the Acer TravelMate 803LCi. The TravelMate 803LCi, with its 14.8V, 4,400mAh battery--not to mention its power-efficient Pentium M processor--had no problem coming out on top. If you plan on using the Alienware Area 51m for extended periods of time, keep it plugged in.
So it needs two batteries to get two hours? Hmmm...

psycho bob
Nov 5, 2003, 08:35 AM
give me two batteries and I'll get 6-7 hours out my powerbook. I quite agree some wintel machines are nice but tablets are not notebooks I was strictly talking bout those.
If you put a powerbook in front of someone with out discussing spec platform etc I bet the average joe in the street would choose the powerbook everytime. This is kinda pointless discussion because pc users will always back their corner just as mac users will theirs. Next time I'm in a bar tho and the lady comes up to admire my handsome chunk of aluminium I'll remember to point out its a mac. Although the big white glowing apple may be kind of a hint.
As far as which is better I know which I would choose every time and yes I do own a pc as well so I have seen both sides of the arguement. All the professionals I know use macs all my business is conducted on them. They aren't the fastest machines certainly not on paper but as people on this forum have pointed out before you don't buy a mac for that reason. To the vast majority of professional mac buyers (certainly in the design/print side of things) quoted gHz is irrelevant. A mac is far more powerful then the sum of its parts.

Actually, I think it's either design or manufacture of the PowerBooks. I'm leaning slightly more towards manufacture because not every machine (not mine either thankfully) has this problem.

I was referring purely to the aesthetics not the technical design and hardware.

Counterfit
Nov 5, 2003, 11:03 AM
Well, you were laying the blame on the LCD manufacturer when it is more likely to be the manufacture or design of the PowerBook itself. SO if you took the LCD and changed the spacers around inside a different housing, the problem wouldn't occur. That's assuming, though, that the LCD manufacturer had nothing to do with the placement of the spacers.


Man, I love this backlit keyboard!

jefhatfield
Nov 5, 2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by psycho bob
Next time I'm in a bar tho and the lady comes up to admire my handsome chunk of aluminium I'll remember to point out its a mac. Although the big white glowing apple may be kind of a hint.




speaking about bars, cafeterias, and coffee houses, it would be great if apple made their keyboards spillproof like the panasonic toughbook so the laptop could withstand a coffee, soda, beer, or even vodka on the rocks spill

a wet drink pouring into the motherboard will often spell the end of the laptop

if you do spill something on your laptop, shut it down, let it dry completely and maybe you may stand a chance as i have read this in macworld regarding their original sturdy ibook model

psycho bob
Nov 5, 2003, 12:45 PM
the spacers are built into the screens aren't they? I assume that while these screens may have been made specifically for apple's 15in PB (please correct me if they are used else where!) they won't be manufactured to apple's design only their chosen resolution and dimensions. The LCD manufacturer will do that. And even if it was apple's fault of the thousands of 15in PB they ship only a small percentage must be effected other wise the outcry would be far greater and they would be forced to do something. Not saying its particularly nice for those who are effected by it mind. Are there any really clear photos of these white marks in everyday use (ie; normal screen shots with say an iapp open)?

lewdvig
Nov 6, 2003, 11:15 AM
Anyone who buys a 3GHz P4 laptop for Alienware prices is a retard (I meant that in the clinical sense - make them take a test, you'll see). Pure and simple. I have a 3+ GHz P4 desktop and a nice P4M laptop. I am not a troller or zealot (despite my sig).

ECS makes the chasis for these things using an SiS chipset (OK, but not best for a P4 - i875 gets that honor). With a nice screen a barebones ECS machine can be had for less than $1000 CDN. Add any CPU, drive, and video you want (if you can find the mAGP part).

People who buy these things are paying a premium for commodity junk. There is no Jonathan Ivy at SiS making sure that you get a decent weight, battery life and low heat.

The original ECS 'portable' had AN EXTERNAL BATTERY!!!

When Centrino hits 1.8GHz it will smoke a 3Ghz P4 and offser 4 hours of battery.

Its sad when people buy WinTel boxes. More so when they buy $0 R&D clunkers liek most Dells and 'portable' desktop replacements.

Fellow Mac users, these people are beyond our help. Don't even argue with them. These are the people who bought 5lb. Archos Jukebox 'iPod killers.'

leet1
Nov 6, 2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by lewdvig
Anyone who buys a 3GHz P4 laptop for Alienware prices is a retard

Its sad when people buy WinTel boxes. More so when they buy $0 R&D clunkers liek most Dells and 'portable' desktop replacements.

Fellow Mac users, these people are beyond our help. Don't even argue with them. These are the people who bought 5lb. Archos Jukebox 'iPod killers.'

Sad? I bought a windows box and compaq laptop and I'm nothing but smiles :D

When people buy those power user laptops, they know what they are getting into. They know they are sacrificing battery life for extreme cpu power. Calling them retarded is moronic.

eyelikeart
Nov 6, 2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by leet1
Sad? I bought a windows box and compaq laptop and I'm nothing but smiles :D


just how many times do u plan on proclaiming how u are so happy with the windows box u bought? :rolleyes:

leet1
Nov 6, 2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
just how many times do u plan on proclaiming how u are so happy with the windows box u bought? :rolleyes:

Every time someone says its sad to buy a windows box. :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
Nov 6, 2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by leet1
Every time someone says its sad to buy a windows box. :rolleyes:

well u do realize this is a Mac users forum?

it's fine if u are happy with whatever u have...but maybe u would be better to share your joy with people on a windows user forum?

leet1
Nov 6, 2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
it's fine if u are happy with whatever u have...but maybe u would be better to share your joy with people on a windows user forum?

Nah, I'll stop, I like this place :D <except when it deletes my little tiny posts sometimes, lol>

eyelikeart
Nov 6, 2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by leet1
Nah, I'll stop, I like this place :D <except when it deletes my little tiny posts sometimes, lol>

ah...yeah...maybe u will read the PM that's been in your PM Box since yesterday. :rolleyes:

leet1
Nov 6, 2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
ah...yeah...maybe u will read the PM that's been in your PM Box since yesterday. :rolleyes:

Didnt have a clue I had one, was suppose to pop up when i had one.

beefcake
Nov 6, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by leet1
Didnt have a clue I had one, was suppose to pop up when i had one.
Maybe its your computer :p

The only reason someone should buy an Alienware notebook is if they're constantly moving back and forth between two or more permanent locations and don't feel like carting a desktop around. As was pointed out before, with one battery and any moderate use, they'll be spent in an hour. If you need a laptop to transfer date, it would be a lot lighter and easier to just buy an external drive and carry that around. Alienware laptops have a purpose for being, but you can't call them "mobile," when really they're just compact desktops.

Counterfit
Nov 6, 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by psycho bob
the spacers are built into the screens aren't they? I assume that while these screens may have been made specifically for apple's 15in PB (please correct me if they are used else where!) they won't be manufactured to apple's design only their chosen resolution and dimensions. The LCD manufacturer will do that. And even if it was apple's fault of the thousands of 15in PB they ship only a small percentage must be effected other wise the outcry would be far greater and they would be forced to do something. Not saying its particularly nice for those who are effected by it mind. Are there any really clear photos of these white marks in everyday use (ie; normal screen shots with say an iapp open)? I see no reason for the to be in the screen, but I suppose it's a possibility. And yes, there's a thread around about it and someone posted a pic where they are very apparent.