PDA

View Full Version : My Mac has two Firewire ports...a Firewire 800 and 400 so.....

theapex
Mar 21, 2008, 12:03 AM
Could I connect two different firewire interfaces at the same time? And access both through logic (or whatever daw I am using)

If so what would be another nice interface to couple with the Tascam 1082?

thanks you all are really a great help to the audio community and help people like me (with lots of questions) out tremendously.

Cycom
Mar 21, 2008, 05:06 PM
Are you talking about FW audio interfaces? Why do you want to use 2 different audio interfaces at the same time? Seems like a silly idea. Why not just invest in a high quality one that has all of the i/o's that you need? Look at MOTU, Apogee, and Metric Halo.

Besides, the firewire bus is shared, so you wouldn't be getting 800 speeds on either.

theapex
Mar 21, 2008, 05:16 PM
Are you talking about FW audio interfaces? Why do you want to use 2 different audio interfaces at the same time? Seems like a silly idea. Why not just invest in a high quality one that has all of the i/o's that you need? Look at MOTU, Apogee, and Metric Halo.

Besides, the firewire bus is shared, so you wouldn't be getting 800 speeds on either.

I just said why...cause I have the Tascam already. I was wondering if down the road I wanted to add more inputs or outputs could I do that by using the other firewire port.

The speed of the firewire port is irrelevant. I just brought that out to show that there were two different ones. And just for the record I was told that there 800 ports does have 800 speed.

OttawaGuy
Mar 21, 2008, 05:22 PM
connect FireWire 400 devices to a FireWire 800 port

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw_adapter.html

killmoms
Mar 21, 2008, 05:24 PM
And just for the record I was told that there 800 ports does have 800 speed.

It does, but both are on one Firewire bus, so if you're utilizing both, you will not get full speed on both.

theapex
Mar 21, 2008, 08:29 PM
oh yeah I knew that. I thought he was talking about all the time...I was thinking "why would the make a firewire 800 port that would only get 400 speeds"

Tarkovsky
Mar 21, 2008, 10:32 PM
It's only sensible to do on devices of a similar type because of differences in latency.

theapex
Mar 22, 2008, 12:59 AM
yeah I understand all that, but does it work...that is what I am mainly concerned with.