PDA

View Full Version : New Mouse at WWDC?


arn
May 4, 2002, 11:37 AM
YourDailyMac (http://www.yourdailymac.com/wwdcbluetoothmouse.html) claims that Apple will introduce a new mouse at WWDC (on Monday).

In a suprise move where software rules the headlines, Steve Jobs will on Monday unveil during his keynote speech at the World Wide Developers Conference WWDC, Apples first two button bluetooth mouse.

They provide some other limited details including two buttons and a scroll wheel. Interesting if true... we only have to wait a few days.

imspace2
May 4, 2002, 11:49 AM
If this is true I'm interested in how they plan to power and recharge the unit also what about bluetooth bandwidth My usb camera freezes up on me when I usb-sync my sony clie. Say I have a blue tooth cellphone I'm syncing with entourage when I do that is it going to freeze my mouse for a second?

whfsdude
May 4, 2002, 11:54 AM
If this is true, is there anykind of lag with bluetooth. I know with my airport my sister will get higher pings than me. I don't like wireless because of this. I'm a gamer hehe, so good old Cat5e :D

Wes
May 4, 2002, 11:54 AM
If this is true my future g4 666mhz ibook better have built in bluetooth ;-)

dricci
May 4, 2002, 11:57 AM
If this is true, I hope it's optional.

They need to keep the one button goodness for new users.

trinitishwar
May 4, 2002, 11:57 AM
It makes sense. Techies and geeks are going to be the ones who will really be thrilled by this, so it's a good place to unveil it. I know I'll be getting one if Apple does release a blutooth multi-button mouse.

icetraxxg5
May 4, 2002, 12:02 PM
Maybe they could put the new 2 button bluetooth mouse on Apples Pro Macs and leave the 1 button
mouse on their consumer Macs.

teabgs
May 4, 2002, 12:11 PM
If it's true they will definately cost more then the current mice. So, it'll be a BTO option and probably cost 10-20 dollars more IMO.

This would be good for pro users and to get new converts. I know many people that WOULD get a mac if they had a 2 button mouse. I try to explain that they can buy one, but they dont want to HAVE to do that. if only apple would give this to them...

cleo
May 4, 2002, 12:20 PM
I don't buy it. Sure, Apple wants to show off its technology, but who's going to buy a Bluetooth adapter just to use a MOUSE? I would love to see an Apple two-button scroll mouse, yes. But I just don't think it makes sense for them to introduce a Bluetooth one right now. Even if all new Macs come with Bluetooth, that would still be leaving out a huge population of users who aren't going to upgrade any time soon and sure as hell aren't going to spend money on an adapter just for a mouse - when they could buy a third-party two-button mouse sans adapter for 25% of the cost. Also, what about education? Wireless mice will not fly in schools - they'll all be gone overnight! I think the logic of the situation points in the direction of 1) Bluetooth fancy device that doesn't have competition in the "wired" category, and 2) (I hope) a USB two-button mouse.

unclepain
May 4, 2002, 12:24 PM
I have to say that this has been a long time coming. At first, I really didn't care about extra buttons or a scroll wheel... until I got a mouse that had a scroll wheel and extra buttons. Now I'm hooked and I can't imagine ever going back to 1 button. I NEED the scroll wheel too. It has become way too convenient. Also, when ever an Apple product has been reviewed online, every reviewer lamented the fact that the mouse was one button. They all said to plan on buying an extra mouse with more buttons and scroll wheel and just throw away the Apple mouse as soon as you open the box. Add Bluetooth to the mix and I think they'll have a winner, assuming it works as advertised. (and assuming this rumor is actually true.)

iGav
May 4, 2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by cleo
I don't buy it. Sure, Apple wants to show off its technology, but who's going to buy a Bluetooth adapter just to use a MOUSE? I would love to see an Apple two-button scroll mouse, yes. But I just don't think it makes sense for them to introduce a Bluetooth one right now. Even if all new Macs come with Bluetooth, that would still be leaving out a huge population of users who aren't going to upgrade any time soon and sure as hell aren't going to spend money on an adapter just for a mouse - when they could buy a third-party two-button mouse sans adapter for 25% of the cost. Also, what about education? Wireless mice will not fly in schools - they'll all be gone overnight! I think the logic of the situation points in the direction of 1) Bluetooth fancy device that doesn't have competition in the "wired" category, and 2) (I hope) a USB two-button mouse.

I was just about to ramble on about something else.... then read your post, and PING..... I completely agree with you...... completely different to what I was going to say.... but u'r logic is spot on......

It'll be a 2 button USB mouse with scroll, but please Apple, don't make it standard, have it as an option..... a no cost option.... but and option all the same.....:)

TyleRomeo
May 4, 2002, 12:42 PM
its about time apple. one button is nice but let us have the option of a two button mouse especially for us who need to speed up our creative efforts.

you single button mouse people can stick with just one if you like but i highly recomend seeing how easier it is.

good job jobs

oldMac
May 4, 2002, 01:01 PM
WWDC is the only event where Apple would get good mileage out of a ho-hum announcement like a 2-button mouse. Bluetooth is cool, too, but the mouse better come bundled with the bluetooth dongle.

A good mouse + a $50 bluetooth dongle ain't going to be a cheap package. Esp considering that Apple already charges something like $70 for their one button mouse.

Assuming this rumor is true and the numbers are what I think they would be (ie, a $100 mouse), I think I'll stick with my Logitech Cordless two-button scroll wheel.

lucs
May 4, 2002, 01:02 PM
I don't think Apple should release a bluetooth mouse so soon....I mean, you still have to buy that USB bluetooth receptor to have wireless peripherals, and most people are not willing to worry about buying more gadgets....i think Apple should wait till they have built in bluetooth in their machines

iGav
May 4, 2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
its about time apple. one button is nice but let us have the option of a two button mouse especially for us who need to speed up our creative efforts.

you single button mouse people can stick with just one if you like but i highly recomend seeing how easier it is.

good job jobs

Yep I tried a 2 button mouse..... did nothing for me........... One button and left hand does fine........

However when I'm creatively really on it...... I use my friend....... it's called WACOM and it it kicks the mouse into touch........ ;)

djx18
May 4, 2002, 02:50 PM
I read somewhere that Bluetooth interferes with 802.11b networks and some places have restricted the use of any Bluetooth devices in their 802.11b-networked offices. If this were true wouldn't the wireless Bluetooth mouse interfere with the airport?

eyelikeart
May 4, 2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by dricci
If this is true, I hope it's optional.

They need to keep the one button goodness for new users.

why new users?

if anything...I'd feel it would be the ones who have grown up with the 1-button mouse...or who just have a love for it...would be the ones to least want this?

I still stand behind the 1-button Apple Pro...but I'm open-minded to the idea of something "different" ;)

jg3
May 4, 2002, 05:16 PM
I hear the "but schools won't want them because kids will steal them" reasoning all the time. But what's stopping kids from taking wired mice? It's not like anybody goes to the trouble of locking a mouse down. Kids steal mouse balls all the time, and that takes a little effort. It's not like it's hard to glance down the row and see that a mouse is missing before the kids file out.

The bigger issues in lab settings, grade school or university, are swapping and interference. How many wireless mice can you have in a single room (and how closely spaced) before they start screwing each other up? How does each computer know which mouse goes with it? If kids run up and down the aisles swapping mice that are each programmed to control a specific computer, then you have a real problem. Or if the computers just listen to the mouse with the strongest signal, what's to stop kids from fiddling with each others computers just by waving their mice near another kid's computer?

ennerseed
May 4, 2002, 05:33 PM
Raskin will be pulling his hair out. He's been so negative lately he deserves it.

Choppaface
May 4, 2002, 06:08 PM
hey this is pretty convenient seeing my mouse for my laptop just broke he he

but it better look nice >_<

jail
May 4, 2002, 06:38 PM
i agree that wireless is not a good idea for schools. it makes me laugh what the kids could do!! but the logitech wireless mice don't interfere with each other, it's not that hard to generate billions of unike id's man. however swapping mice is a problem. but a threat to the kid's `swap the mice and we get single-button ones!` MIGHT keep them inline :p . but as for older macs not supporting bluetooth, come on guys! unless you have to have an apple mouse, you can get amuch cheaper third party mouse. the new mouse will ship with new mac's (a bto option of course), if you don't want an apple mouse and it's price, get a third party one, put up with the price of a bluetooth addapter. i agree it should be a BTO option, but it shouldn't cost extra.
jail

alex_ant
May 4, 2002, 06:52 PM
I don't agree that a BTO 2-button mouse is a good idea. All that extra inventory overhead just for a mouse.

I like the idea of a 2-button mouse. Why couldn't Apple just ship a 2-button mouse with every Mac and have both buttons set to do the same thing? Then, more "advanced" users could open up the mouse prefs pane and enable the separate second button function if they liked. Beginner or basic users would still be perfectly content with their 2 buttons functioning as one.

Alex

TyleRomeo
May 4, 2002, 07:08 PM
I like the idea of a 2-button mouse. Why couldn't Apple just ship a 2-button mouse with every Mac and have both buttons set to do the same thing? Then, more "advanced" users could open up the mouse prefs pane and enable the separate second button function if they liked. Beginner or basic users would still be perfectly content with their 2 buttons functioning as one.

way to go alex, forget bluetooth. lets first have it in the powermacs before we get all fancy with some space aged mouse. 2 botton is fine, and maybe throw in a simple scroll wheel but thats it. and make sure it looks simple and classy

tyler

rdhazrd
May 4, 2002, 07:19 PM
How 'bout this? Instead of a right and left button, take the Apple Pro mouse and add a scroll wheel in the middle. It's clickable, hense 2 buttons, and scrolls. That sounds more like an Apple touch to me. P.S. When you see the new mice, just remember who told you about them :cool:

Rower_CPU
May 4, 2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by jg3
I hear the "but schools won't want them because kids will steal them" reasoning all the time. But what's stopping kids from taking wired mice? It's not like anybody goes to the trouble of locking a mouse down. Kids steal mouse balls all the time, and that takes a little effort. It's not like it's hard to glance down the row and see that a mouse is missing before the kids file out.

The bigger issues in lab settings, grade school or university, are swapping and interference. How many wireless mice can you have in a single room (and how closely spaced) before they start screwing each other up? How does each computer know which mouse goes with it? If kids run up and down the aisles swapping mice that are each programmed to control a specific computer, then you have a real problem. Or if the computers just listen to the mouse with the strongest signal, what's to stop kids from fiddling with each others computers just by waving their mice near another kid's computer?

Funny you should bring up mouse theft...we had one stolen from our lab, along with 2 USB webcams. We're an open lab at the university level, so no teachers inspecting all the stations and wiping kids asses for them. We use cable ties to lock down the equipment, but all they needed to do was cut the tie to steal the mouse and webcam.

I agree that wireless mice don't belong in a lab setting just yet, but don't go shooting your mouth off about what happens in lab settings unless you know what you're talking about.

Mr. Anderson
May 4, 2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

I agree that wireless mice don't belong in a lab setting just yet, but don't go shooting your mouth off about what happens in lab settings unless you know what you're talking about.

This is silly, there's a very simple solution that will end up being implemented as soon as people start using wireless mice.

You walk into the lab, hand the lab monitor your id, he gives you a mouse, you get to work on a machine. Simple, easy and no mice get stolen.

Rower_CPU
May 4, 2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
This is silly, there's a very simple solution that will end up being implemented as soon as people start using wireless mice.

You walk into the lab, hand the lab monitor your id, he gives you a mouse, you get to work on a machine. Simple, easy and no mice get stolen.

That's a good idea, but it would require one of two things:

1) If wireless mice only work with their specific receiver, you need to id each mouse for each station. If they get mixed up you would need to go back and find out which machine the mouse belongs to.

or, 2) If wireless mice work with any station, then you have to watch out for interference/crossover between machines. In a room with 30 stations, that could get hairy.

To be honest, I don't know enough about this technology to tell you definitively what its limits are. But as a lab administrator, I know it would require some new methods of theft prevention.

jg3
May 4, 2002, 08:25 PM
Rower - I'm not saying theft isn't a problem, it's just that it's not an issue that significantly distinguishes wireless mice from wired mice. Interference and swapping are issues that come up with wireless mice, but not with wired mice. Hence, those are the things worth talking about when weighing the pros and cons of wired vs. wireless mice. That is all.

Mr. Anderson
May 4, 2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
If wireless mice only work with their specific receiver, you need to id each mouse for each station. If they get mixed up you would need to go back and find out which machine the mouse belongs to.

This would just be a minor logistical issue. Computer #1 would have a big #1 on it, and the mouse that went with that computer would have a #1 right on the top, no problem figuring that out. All the lab would need is a nice storage system, simple again, and it would be like getting size 12 shoes at the bowling alley.

Rower_CPU
May 4, 2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
This would just be a minor logistical issue. Computer #1 would have a big #1 on it, and the mouse that went with that computer would have a #1 right on the top, no problem figuring that out. All the lab would need is a nice storage system, simple again, and it would be like getting size 12 shoes at the bowling alley.

And then a smartass kid whips out a marker and adds a 2 and now you've got 2 12s and you need to see which is which.

The administration at my school is very anti-policing, so our hands are tied when it comes to taking some proactive steps. But duke, your suggestions are definitely good ones.

G4scott
May 4, 2002, 11:00 PM
ahh, stop bitchin about wireless mice in classrooms. You know that they're going to stick with wired...

A 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel that uses bluetooth would be great with pro machines, and here's why...

1. If you use a 1 button mouse, and are happy with it, try out 2 buttons, or just stick with your current mouse. I'm almost sure that you'll like the 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel...

2. If you bought a Mac, but use a different mouse, because you didn't like the 1 button, good for you! Now, you can use an Apple mouse when you buy a new Mac. Just because Apple introduces something new doesn't mean that you have to rush out and buy it.

3. Laptop users, Have you ever wanted to play a game, or do something where a track-pad just doesn't cut it, or when you want a scroll wheel? If you've tried a regular USB mouse, you'll know that that wire can get annoying, especially if you're right-handed and have an iBook (like me), because you have that wire going across the computer. The bluetooth option (whether built in, or external, although built in would be better), would allow for laptop users to easialy carry around a mouse to use instead of the trackpad.

Now, I know that people have their own reasons for loving/hating a 2 button, wireless mouse. That's nice. You can either get a new mouse, get a new Mac with a new mouse, or stick with your current mouse if you like it. I'm just saying that I believe that many people would benefit from a 2 button wireless mouse. No more restrictive cable (although there's bluetooth's range...), and no more having to use the keyboard to do simple tasks, like make a new folder, or get info...

I do agree, though, that Apple should keep the new mouse to the PowerMacs, but make it a bto option on iMacs, iBooks, and PowerBooks. I don't think that schools will want wireless, so the eMac stays with wired... They should also make the 1 button wired mouse a bto option on the PowerMacs, just for the stubborn people.

How the mouse would charge, I'm not sure, but I expect for it to be something like a cell phone. A little cradle (notice, little, it doesn't have to hold the whole mouse) that serves as the bluetooth controler, and the charger, that plugs into either firewire, or USB (if USB has enough power. If not, then definately FireWire...)

Anyways, that's what I think...

Billicus
May 5, 2002, 12:35 PM
If Apple makes two-button mice, isn't it breaking with it's first slogan, (referring to the GUI) "It's so easy you only need one button." I don't care about two button mice, and will stay away from them as long as possible. I don't think Apple will go with Bluetooth yet - still many things to be worked out. Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but maybe I'm right.

-- My 2 cents! :( :) :|

Macpoops
May 5, 2002, 01:07 PM
Isn't the range on bluetooth like 30 ft or something like that? If there are id problems. Then in a lab setting that would be a major problem. Then again it would also have advantages

BeerDrinker29
May 8, 2002, 01:07 AM
Looks like YourDailymac was majorly wrong -- again.

j763
May 8, 2002, 01:19 AM
well, no suprises there...

Inhale420
May 8, 2002, 10:44 PM
i want that ****.

Inhale420
May 8, 2002, 10:47 PM
i have a bluetooth. not my tooth is really blue