PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook trackpad

gundam
Nov 4, 2003, 10:11 AM
I am a new Powerbook owner running Jaguar. I've noticed that when I activate the clicking option in my trackpad preferences, the trackpad sometimes behaves oddly. The pointer becomes less accurate and sometimes goes off in other directions. Also, when i'm typing in some programs (like yahoo! messenger), the cursor sometimes relocates to another part of the text by itself. In general, the Powerbook trackpad seems less accurate than what I'm used to on PC laptops. What is going on here?

switchingGeek
Nov 4, 2003, 10:18 AM
Haven't used other laptops much. But make sure you download and use SideTrack - www.ragingmenace.com . It allows you to setup a scroll bar, and change your button to right-click if you want.

Once you use it you will NEVER go back!!

rickvanr
Nov 4, 2003, 10:48 AM
i had a similar problem in jag too, and i hated it... so much! i had a mouse plugged in, but the trackpad still was active even when i clicked the box saying disable trackpad when mouse is present... i never got a fix for it, but in panther, the trackpad doesnt work when the mouse is plugged in, and i love it!

cr2sh
Nov 4, 2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by gundam
Also, when i'm typing in some programs the cursor sometimes relocates to another part of the text by itself. In general, the Powerbook trackpad seems less accurate than what I'm used to on PC laptops.

Funny, but I've had the exact opposite experience. My Dell Latitude jumps all over the place when I'm typing and seems to be way too sensitive to my movements... the powerbook gets it right though. I'm sure it has more to do with the way each of us types, and less to do with a mechincal problem. Sorry I can't offer a better piece fo advice. One option might be to turn the "tap" feature off on the trackpad and use only the button.

Good luck!

gundam
Nov 4, 2003, 10:56 AM
So will this problem go away after I get my Panther upgrade? Is there no hardware problem?

mactastic
Nov 4, 2003, 11:31 AM
I've never noticed a problem with my TiBook running Jagwire. Mouse pad works fine. Did you try checking the option to disable the mousepad while you are typing?

rueyeet
Nov 4, 2003, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a classic case of touching at more than one point on the trackpad, or your hands brushing the trackpad as you type. Every time my trackpad's behaved like that, I've frozen in panic thinking something's wrong with the TiBook, only to realize an instant later that I'm touching the pad somewhere I'm not intending to. Easier to do than I'd thought.

Essentially that's your trackpad's way of saying "stop touching me there!" ;)

Frisco
Nov 4, 2003, 11:48 AM
My Ti PB trackpad is the best one i ever used. Before I used this one I hated laptop trackpads. Now i don't use an external mouse anymore. The one on my Vaio was terrible.

Once you get used to it--you'll love it!

gundam
Nov 4, 2003, 08:55 PM
I guess I'm used to using the Thinkpad pointy thing, and using a trackpad just seems to make my blood pressure go up.
But I also had a Samsung laptop and its trackpad seemed a lot less troublesome than the Powerbook's. Upon closer examination, I suspect that my resting my wrists against the base of the laptop may be exacerbating the problem - but what am I supposed to do? Suspend my hands above the keyboard when using the trackpad?