Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slammiam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
3rd day since owning. I made the mistake of taking it to work. Everyone wants to pick it up. It's dear to me. I don't like strangers fondling it...

Lol :eek:

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
3rd day since owning. I made the mistake of taking it to work. Everyone wants to pick it up. It's dear to me. I don't like strangers fondling it...

You made made a thread about how much other people want your computer? Did you buy the macbook air because you thought people would be interested in it too?

slammiam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
That really wasn't my intention at all. I genuinely am annoyed when co-workers want to pick it up. If your question is as to why, then well my reasons were portability and usability. As a frequent traveler, the MBA is the solution to a long-standing problem. I'm quite satisfied, and am not the person you may be looking to judge.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire

And when I bought my first roadster I never expected people to want to sit in the drivers seat!!:rolleyes:

Enjoy the MBA my friend! I am virtually picking it up as we speak!!:D

Crossbone

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008

same thing happen to me when i took my MacBook and MacBook Pro to school.

People :rolleyes:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
You made made a thread about how much other people want your computer? Did you buy the macbook air because you thought people would be interested in it too?

Strange thing is, you actually managed to put this poor guy on the defensive with your nasty remark.

jlbrown23

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Lol

It is so true. I am not the sort of person who seeks attention from other people(in fact I sort of dislike it), but I am frequently approached by strangers about my Air. I think part of the problem is that the thing is so portable that you take it along with you to more places than you normally would. And I have had several people ask to look at it and pick it up.

However I am happy to be a Mac advocate, so whatever discomfort I feel from having strangers fondle my computer is compensated for by the fact that I might turn someone else in to a Mac fan.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I just had a brilliant idea. Someone needs to gut out an old thinkpad or a dell and make it into an MBA hard case. I'd use it in those situations in public where I don't want to be bothered.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Happened to us with early iPhones. Not that bothersome if you ask me, as long as they don't drop it...

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
I just had a brilliant idea. Someone needs to gut out an old thinkpad or a dell and make it into an MBA hard case. I'd use it in those situations in public where I don't want to be bothered.

Hah that is briliant, i would defenatly do that. taht actually would be amazing now that i think about it. If any of you guys have blackberries, there is hardsheel caled ottorbox, if something like that was made for MBA that would tottally rock.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Happened to us with early iPhones. Not that bothersome if you ask me, as long as they don't drop it...

And some did :mad:.....

Anyway, thats the same reason I install no fancy apps in my phone anymore so people won't find interesting use on it, aside from what they have already experienced. I only lend my computer to Luis and thats it, everyone else is a potential harm to my computer and/or iPhone. Simple answer to your "problem" Mr. Coworker: "May I see your MBA" You: NO.

Victor

TravisReynolds

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle
I know exactly what you mean my man, when I'm with people I always keep my iPhone in my pocket, because once I pull it out, BAM "oh man let me play with it"

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Over in this country, macs aren't quite as common as they are in the states. I brought my regular macbook into college and everyone wanted to go on it. I was close to ****ting one of them. All I wanted was to do my work.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

nick9191 said:
Over in this country, macs aren't quite as common as they are in the states. I brought my regular macbook into college and everyone wanted to go on it. I was close to ****ting one of them. All I wanted was to do my work.

In my country, when someone (esp. a girl) ****s you, you say thank you. :)

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Yeh, it's like when the iPhone first came out. You'd take it to work and every man and his dog wants to hold it and wave it around. Putting their dirty, greasy hands all over it. Sorry, the MBA is a $1800 laptop, I don't need anyone scratching it up with their rings, and touching the screen, and waving it around. People are brutes.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Yeh, it's like when the iPhone first came out. You'd take it to work and every man and his dog wants to hold it and wave it around. Putting their dirty, greasy hands all over it. Sorry, the MBA is a $1800 laptop, I don't need anyone scratching it up with their rings, and touching the screen, and waving it around. People are brutes.

Sorry but thats 25% of the reason i Bought an iPhone.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

Last week I was sitting at work, minding my own business, when one of the girls from the next department comes in. "I'd like to ask you a question … (glances at desk) … IS THAT AN IPHONE?"

She spent the next 10 minutes fiddling with it and showing it to the other girls next door :rolleyes:

I never did figure out whether it was a "scripted question" or whether she completely forgot to ask her original question :p

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Last week I was sitting at work, minding my own business, when one of the girls from the next department comes in. "I'd like to ask you a question … (glances at desk) … IS THAT AN IPHONE?"

She spent the next 10 minutes fiddling with it and showing it to the other girls next door :rolleyes:

I never did figure out whether it was a "scripted question" or whether she completely forgot to ask her original question :p

Haha, typical scenario! The first day I went to school with it, random people I seldomly talk to just came by and were like "Umm, umm, yeah... hi. IS THAT AN IPHONE?" :D

I can relate to the feeling though, you can imagine how pathetic I looked when I asked a pair of tourists if I could see the phone when they visited here like a week after launch. I almost died. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.