Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
I have a friend who told me that he read that Apple is going to charge $129 a year to keep all the updates for Panther, is there any truth to this? If there is, i will be really disapointed, and kinda upset too... I'm dunno if he was just kidding, cause I do work at a PC store, (to be unnamed), and I am made fun of cause I'm a mac user, but he didn't seem to be kidding.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Re: $130 subscription a year for Panther?

Originally posted by mgargan1
I have a friend who told me that he read that Apple is going to charge $129 a year to keep all the updates for Panther, is there any truth to this? If there is, i will be really disapointed, and kinda upset too... I'm dunno if he was just kidding, cause I do work at a PC store, (to be unnamed), and I am made fun of cause I'm a mac user, but he didn't seem to be kidding.

Can you ask him where he read that Apple is going to charge $129 a year to keep all the updates for Panther? I would like to read that for myself. Thanx.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
BS

Maybe he is just alluding to the fact that OS X gets a major update each year (so far), and we pay $129 to upgrade. This would go along with the prevailing opinion among uninformed PC folks who think 10.2 -> 10.3 is a "minor" revision because the "10" didn't change. Or perhaps they figure since MS can't update their OS more frequently than 3 years or so, that it would be impossible for Apple to do so every 15 months.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Dang, I dont think theres ever been a thread that hasn't had the words microsoft, ms, or windows it it, lol.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Re: Re: $130 subscription a year for Panther?

Originally posted by j33pd0g
Can you ask him where he read that Apple is going to charge $129 a year to keep all the updates for Panther? I would like to read that for myself. Thanx.

Do you have to quote the entire thing specially when you are the first one in doing a reply?

Macco

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
Not only will this not happen, but it would be illegal for Apple to charge you to keep your software. The software was licensed to you under specific terms, and unless you were to sign a document allowing Apple to change those terms, they can't change the license. And I'm pretty sure we would have heard by now if someone had found something in the license allowing Apple to take away your software.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: $130 subscription a year for Panther?

Originally posted by mgargan1
Apple has some "Software Maintenance" Programs available for Final Cut, Keynote, Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server and Sountrack...

Still up to a company to opt in, or out. And you need to buy at least 10 seats.
In a nutshell, the Apple Maintenance Program enables organizations like yours to subscribe to software upgrades instead of purchasing them each time they are released, and to benefit from substantial savings over time.

A three-year, non-cancelable agreement that entitles your organization to receive every major upgrade release to Mac OS X Server, the Apple Maintenance Program is designed to protect your software investment and reduce your total cost of ownership. The program's affordable one-time fee simplifies budget management, reduces your administrative overhead, and puts a lid on IT maintenance and software distribution costs. Upgrades are shipped automatically, so all of your computers can be standardized with the latest server software. And, naturally, the more servers you've licensed, the more you'll save.

Mac OS X Maintenance Agreements
Code:
Mac OS X Maintenance 36 Mths 10-99 seats, price per seat D2088LL/A 	Add 	$207.00
Mac OS X Maintenance 36 Mths 100-999 seats, price per seat D2089LL/A 	Add 	$177.00
Mac OS X Maintenance 36 Mths 1000+ seats, price per seat D2090LL/A 	Add 	$147.00

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Steve Jobs, i believe, said that OS X is the OS for the next 15 years. If that's the case....what happens after they get to 10.9? That makes me think that maybe the trend of a major update per year is not as likely to continue as previously thought. I think Panther was a slightly different update than Jaguar, in that it has more of a sense of wholeness than Jaguar did. Perhaps, because of that reason, major revisions will begin to slow down a bit. Or if not now, certainly by 10.4.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
What's the problem with 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12?!...

Originally posted by LimeLite
Steve Jobs, i believe, said that OS X is the OS for the next 15 years. If that's the case....what happens after they get to 10.9?

There is no spoon ... ehm ... problem here. After 10.9 comes 10.10 and then 10.11 and 10.12. What's the big deal there? It's not like the OS version-numbering scheme is decimal or something. Or is it?!

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with those 'weird' OS version-numbers. Would you?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm pretty sure the person must've been referring, intentionally or not, to the fact that Apple is apparently only issuing continuing updates (security, mostly) to the current version (or maybe one past) of OSX--10.1 users, so far as I know, aren't getting any security updates, though to be honest I'm not positive they need any, either.

That would indirecly imply you'll have to pay Apple $130 a year for ongoing security fixes, so to speak, even if that's not technically what's going on, which is what mgargan1 said.

And since we're bringing MS into this, how about their charging people $10 a month to use IE version 6 on the Mac? Not much cheaper than Apple's OS upgrades, and you can't keep using whatever you've got if you stop paying for it. To a degree, you could say the same about .Mac, but in any case Apple couldn't switch to a monthly/annual licencing aggreement for existing users, but if you start it that way from the begining....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.