PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's: No Deal To Announce

MacRumors
Nov 6, 2003, 12:58 PM
MacMinute (http://www.macminute.com/2003/11/06/mcdonalds2) notes a press release from McDonald's (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031106102327.shtml) which responds to today's rumor about the McDonald's and iTunes giveaway.

According to McDonalds, "There are no agreements to announce, so anything else is pure speculation."

McDonald's goes on to say that they are continuing to pursue "bold new initiatives in the areas of music, sports, fashion and entertainment" and that news can be expected in the coming weeks to months.

arn
Nov 6, 2003, 12:59 PM
This is very much a non-statement.

They don't say anything except there is no official deal announced yet.

arn

Jerry Spoon
Nov 6, 2003, 01:08 PM
I would like to announce that I'm not officially buying a lot of quarter pounders and I'm also not officially gaining ten pounds. This is all pure speculation.l

sethypoo
Nov 6, 2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by arn
This is very much a non-statement.

They don't say anything except there is no official deal announced yet.

arn

Shouldn't this have been on Page 2 rumors then? Since it was unconfirmed? Just curious. :)

jamesatzones
Nov 6, 2003, 01:12 PM
I would think this would be a boost for McDonald's biz. They may be pulling an Apple tactic and somehow this got released before they wanted to announce, isn't the Monoply thing still going on, why would they want to step on their own clown feet...

jamesatzones
Nov 6, 2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
I would like to announce that I'm not officially buying a lot of quarter pounders and I'm also not officially gaining ten pounds. This is all pure speculation.l

Sorry for the second reply to this but I fully announce that if Apple and McDonalds do this I will gain 15 pounds and eat all my meals there. I've got to maintain my belly and music somehow...

srobert
Nov 6, 2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Shouldn't this have been on Page 2 rumors then? Since it was unconfirmed? Just curious. :)

Is'nt a confirmed rumor not a rumor anymore? Just teasing :)

DGFan
Nov 6, 2003, 01:26 PM
Wasn't there a movie where someone said that you shouldn't believe a rumor until somebody denies it?

ITR 81
Nov 6, 2003, 01:29 PM
After posting that there's no deal on Yahoo. Yahoo posts this
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/031106/bw_leisure_mcdonalds_downloads_2.html

shortly after.

This says to me that it's about to be annouced but someone leaked the info.
Apples stock just went up with talk about this deal and so did McDonalds.

srobert
Nov 6, 2003, 01:35 PM
Ahah! Funny

http://ichart.yahoo.com/b?s=AAPL

1) 10:23 AM New York Post announces a 1000000000 McDonalds iTMS give avay Apple stocks go up.

2) 1:58 PM McDonals make non-statement statement Apple stocks go down.

3) 2:30 PM Yahoo says that the deal was about to be annonced when it was leaked Apple stock start going up again.

Might be just a coincidence but funny anyway.

edit: by the way, I love how this graph updates in real time. ^_^

Steamboatwillie
Nov 6, 2003, 01:37 PM
... Hamburgler wipes his brow and lets out a sigh of relief whilst firing up Kaaza again on his PC.

sethypoo
Nov 6, 2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by srobert
Is'nt a confirmed rumor not a rumor anymore? Just teasing :)

Well, I feel stupid. :)

I just remember reading somewhere that Page 2 was for unconfirmed stuff.....:confused:

krossfyter
Nov 6, 2003, 01:43 PM
so can someone state the obvious conclusion to all this?

100 million songs from apple at 99cents each?!!

srobert
Nov 6, 2003, 01:45 PM
Page two is for rumors of uncertain reliablity.

This rumor came form the New York Post.

In a way, you're right... New York Post is far from reliable ;) But this one was too juicy a rumor to let sink on page two I guess.

pb12
Nov 6, 2003, 01:45 PM
This is my first post on macrumors, but have been reading the boards for months now, I felt strongly about this issue, so decided to start writing.

Is anyone else concerned about the "integrity" of Apple's corporate image? Neither Pepsi nor McDonald's are known for their corporate liability, care for consumers or attempts to make the best products available.

Does anyone else agree that Apple is "selling out" (definitely not in a serious way). For those that have loved Apple for years because of its promise not to act like Windoze/Microsoft and do anything to make money, whether or not it screws the customer.

After reading "Fast Food Nation", I cannot support McDonald's or any other fast food chain, and hope that Apple doesn't create a corporate "connection" with them.

Now I know this is all a relatively small matter - but it does show something about the changing face of Apple.

krossfyter
Nov 6, 2003, 01:53 PM
yeah apple wants switchers they have to change a bit to do that. old tactics dont apply here. by the way welcome to the boards pb12.

tsunake
Nov 6, 2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by pb12
Is anyone else concerned about the "integrity" of Apple's corporate image? Neither Pepsi nor McDonald's are known for their corporate liability, care for consumers or attempts to make the best products available.

No. Don't be stupid. Apple is a corporation. Their only goal is to make money.

macdrew
Nov 6, 2003, 01:56 PM
Steve Jobs to Mayor McCheese - Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling artery clogging hamburgers, or do you want a chance to change the world?

krossfyter
Nov 6, 2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by tsunake
No. Don't be stupid. Apple is a corporation. Their only goal is to make money.

of course. but just because of the money thing one shouldn't so easily equate them on the same level of microsoft. there is a big line between the two in terms of bringing in money.

arn
Nov 6, 2003, 02:00 PM

Is anyone else concerned about the "integrity" of Apple's corporate image?

Well, the question is... do these promotions really affect Apple's image?

I don't necessarily think so... these giveaways aren't really seen as an Apple-thing so much as a McDonald's or Pepsi thing. Sure, they are giving away Apple stuff... but there are tons of cheesy giveaways out there that give away "cool" stuff. It just means that "stuff" is in demand.

arn

pb12
Nov 6, 2003, 02:04 PM
Clearly they ARE "just a corporation" and that has become clearer through these deals with Pepsi and possibly McD's.

But I guess my question is what is happening to their corporate image - even if it isn't true that they would sacrifice money for "integrity" or whatever. I understand they want money, and I WANT Apple to be profitable... but at what cost?

Mac Fun Stuff
Nov 6, 2003, 02:10 PM
There's a small conflict of interest at play here too - remember, McD's has an exclusivity deal with Coke. Now, while both companies independently marketing the same thing (iTMS), I have no doubt the folks at Coke would be mighty upset to see the two companies in the same sentence. Although its a separate thing, it's sure going to come off as being a three way marketing agreement.

appleguy
Nov 6, 2003, 02:12 PM
This is getting sickening... we keep hereing about Music stores opening up.. free give aways but only to US residents... America is not the only country in the world.. How about sharing the love with some of the other people... After all we buy Apple Macs Too...

macdrew
Nov 6, 2003, 02:18 PM
the reason itunes, and all the others, has nothing to do with "america first", it's all about LEGAL AGREEMENTS to sell into other markets. Overtime that will be worked out, but until they solve it - limewire, poisoned are the only answers... they loose revenue until this is fixed.

iPC
Nov 6, 2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Mac Fun Stuff
There's a small conflict of interest at play here too - remember, McD's has an exclusivity deal with Coke. Now, while both companies independently marketing the same thing (iTMS), I have no doubt the folks at Coke would be mighty upset to see the two companies in the same sentence. Although its a separate thing, it's sure going to come off as being a three way marketing agreement.
Or Coke says "I see your dime, and raise you to a dollar." ;)

Not to mention www.cokemusic.com downloads are partnered with AOLMusic. Isn't AOL going to use Apple as a music provider?

MacFan26
Nov 6, 2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by macdrew
the reason itunes, and all the others, has nothing to do with "america first", it's all about LEGAL AGREEMENTS to sell into other markets. Overtime that will be worked out, but until they solve it - limewire, poisoned are the only answers... they loose revenue until this is fixed.

Speaking of Limewire, has anyone had any problems with that after installing Panther? Mine won't open :(

And on the McDonald's note, they sell hamburgers, they need to stay out of the music business.

MM2270
Nov 6, 2003, 02:47 PM
This is my first post on macrumors, but have been reading the boards for months now, I felt strongly about this issue, so decided to start writing.

Does anyone else agree that Apple is "selling out" (definitely not in a serious way). For those that have loved Apple for years because of its promise not to act like Windoze/Microsoft and do anything to make money, whether or not it screws the customer.

After reading "Fast Food Nation", I cannot support McDonald's or any other fast food chain, and hope that Apple doesn't create a corporate "connection" with them.

Now I know this is all a relatively small matter - but it does show something about the changing face of Apple.

Yes, I agree with you.
I'm concerned about Apple "cheapening" themselves with a deal like this. They've always represented class and style, and being a bit off the beaten path to me. Joining with McDonalds (if it even happens) means they aren't as concerned about that, and are just doing what they can to go after average Joe Blow to buy their products. I don't care for this strategy, because it seems like the easy way out IMHO. I would think Apple could come up with more classy partnerships to continue to target the more discriminating customer. Take a look at the VW Beatle and iPod "Pods Unite" promotion they had a little while back as an example of what I mean.

But then again, "discriminating customer" does not describe a HUGE portion of America these days, sadly enough. In a society dominated by cheap Walmart goods, caffeine drinks from Starbucks, sugar water from Pepsi, Coca-Cola, etc. and fatburgers from McD's and the rest, what else can we expect Apple to do?

ITR 81
Nov 6, 2003, 02:52 PM
Apple isn't going to lose it's image. If Apple doesn't use this they will lose market ground to folks like Napster eck....

If cokemusic goes through AOL Music then they will be getting their music from iTunes Music Store.

greenstork
Nov 6, 2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
of course. but just because of the money thing one shouldn't so easily equate them on the same level of microsoft. there is a big line between the two in terms of bringing in money.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Most of the time on these forums, you here people griping about how Apple could do 'this or that' better and that they don't market themselves well enough to the masses. It's ironic that you're complaining about exactly the opposite issue. Can't please them all I suppose.

SeaFox
Nov 6, 2003, 03:01 PM
Ahah! Funny

1) 10:23 AM New York Post announces a 1000000000 McDonalds iTMS give avay Apple stocks go up.

3) 2:30 PM Yahoo says that the deal was about to be annonced when it was leaked Apple stock start going up again.

I really don't find it that funny, actually. Little bits of news seem to have a lot more impact on Apple than on other companies. But only the bad news. When something good happens, Wall Street just seems to shrug its shoulders. But on the slightest twinge of bad news APPL drops two dollars and it takes weeks for it to climb back up to its old level.

Raid
Nov 6, 2003, 03:13 PM
Ahah! Funny

http://ichart.yahoo.com/b?s=AAPL

It might be more than just a coincidence. Note that the buying spree happened just before 2 in the afternoon when the Yahoo annoucement came out at 2:30... Do we have psychic stock brokers, or a little "prior warning"? ;) With a stock climb of about 20 cents in about 40 minutes before the annoucement that's some pretty steady buying going on before any reputible information.

But this is just speculation on my part... :cool:

Raid

greenstork
Nov 6, 2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SeaFox
I really don't find it that funny, actually. Little bits of news seem to have a lot more impact on Apple than on other companies. But only the bad news. When something good happens, Wall Street just seems to shrug its shoulders. But on the slightest twinge of bad news APPL drops two dollars and it takes weeks for it to climb back up to its old level.

Okay, I think you're a little off base here; little bits of news affect all companies. The reason that they don't affect them in the way you anticipate is probably because stock market insiders probably knew the news already. If you think we get news fast here on the MacRumors network, you haven't seen anything yet.

For the most part, people tossing around millions of dollars are trying to turn a quick buck from someone who watches the market like you do. They're hoping to take advantage of short-term traders.

However, investing should always be looked at in terms of short-term and long-term outlook. Apple's stock has nearly doubled in the past 6 months. Say what you will but this is nothing to sneeze at and certainly not affected by $2 swings (which rarely happen BTW, maybe once or twice every few months for Apple).

If you want to earn money in the stock market, pick good companies, buy them when the market is down and hang on to them for a few years. Trading over the short-term is a quick way to get your head handed to you. The average joe simply does not have access to the information of the million dollar players that affect stocks on a day-to-day basis.

srobert
Nov 6, 2003, 03:22 PM
Well, at least Apple closed higher than yesterday ^_^

macdrew
Nov 6, 2003, 03:31 PM
yeah, limewire is currently broken under panther... something about java is different, and limewire is waiting on apple to solve it... someone said you can remove java out of panther, reinstall, then it works again... but i haven't tried it... some people report it works fine under panther, but MANY can't get it to work...

srobert
Nov 6, 2003, 03:40 PM
yeah, limewire is currently broken under panther... something about java is different, and limewire is waiting on apple to solve it... someone said you can remove java out of panther, reinstall, then it works again... but i haven't tried it... some people report it works fine under panther, but MANY can't get it to work...

Maybe this has something to do with this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031028151229265&query=java+panther

a wild guess. might be worth checking

x86isslow
Nov 6, 2003, 03:53 PM
yanno.. apple and companies that are/have done bad things is nothing new... look at ibm

IBM lawsuit (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3189506.stm)
:eek: <shock of all shocks> but seriously, apple dealing with odious companies wont affect negatively affect buying patterns.

krossfyter
Nov 6, 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by greenstork
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Most of the time on these forums, you here people griping about how Apple could do 'this or that' better and that they don't market themselves well enough to the masses. It's ironic that you're complaining about exactly the opposite issue. Can't please them all I suppose.

im not complaining about apple marketing themselves too much here. im not sure where you got that idea. im just actively participating in whats called critical thinking even if its on a basic level. so again im not sure how you came to the conclusion about my post complaining about apple marketing itself too much... or for that matter complaining in general.

greenstork
Nov 6, 2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
im not complaining about apple marketing themselves too much here. im not sure where you got that idea. im just actively participating in whats called critical thinking even if its on a basic level. so again im not sure how you came to the conclusion about my post complaining about apple marketing itself too much... or for that matter complaining in general.

Clearly, I quoted the wrong post, my apologies krossfyter. My last statement was meant to repond to the integrity discussion on page one of this thread from the orginal poster and not to your response.

iPC
Nov 6, 2003, 04:20 PM
Mine works fine for me (upgraded 10.2.8 to 10.3 - LW was already installed).

Sun Baked
Nov 6, 2003, 04:33 PM
This size would probably be an International advertising campaign.

Simply silly numbers for the US alone...

Unless the RIAA was footing the bill.

Or it was another one of those win a billion iTunes downloads type things in your lifetime (on your computer), with Drew Carey and the Monkey once again doing the show.

My bet would be on the monkey (edit - making the announcement) ...

QuiteSure
Nov 6, 2003, 06:04 PM
The Macdonald's rumor is so great I can hardly stand it.

Apple teaming with Macdonald's and Pepsi confirms them as players in the big leagues, helping them clear a major hurdle to potential switchers who are concerned that Apple will go out of business any day.

The average public perception is that if Apple, Pepsi and Macdonald's are doing joint promotions, then Apple is a major player who must be taken seriously.

This is what we all really want. It is a significant hedge against the marginalization of Apple, which was very very real in the mid to late 1990's.

These promotions will absolutely increase market share.

And the Macdonald's premiums salads really aren't that bad ......:p

krossfyter
Nov 6, 2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by greenstork
Clearly, I quoted the wrong post, my apologies krossfyter. My last statement was meant to repond to the integrity discussion on page one of this thread from the orginal poster and not to your response.

ah okay makes sense now. apology accepted. you know i did think about you qouting the wrong person because ive done it before and others have also but i wasnt sure. carry on!

billyboy
Nov 6, 2003, 06:29 PM
During the conference I reckon he was probably trying very hard not to burst out laughing and belly wobbling in glee at the news he couldnt announce about iTunes and MacDough. No money in music downloads? haha, course not - unless you have a billion dollar advertising deal in the background to fuel sales of the machine that plays music downloads best.

rdowns
Nov 6, 2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by appleguy
This is getting sickening... we keep hereing about Music stores opening up.. free give aways but only to US residents... America is not the only country in the world.. How about sharing the love with some of the other people... After all we buy Apple Macs Too...

What is sickening is hearing all this belly-aching from outside the US. Do you really believe Apple is holding back on offering you iTMS? The problem is record companies and different licensing issues in the 20 or so European countries. Now quit belly-aching! :D

And yes, we do believe we are the only country in the world.

rdowns
Nov 6, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by MacFan26
Speaking of Limewire, has anyone had any problems with that after installing Panther? Mine won't open :(

And on the McDonald's note, they sell hamburgers, they need to stay out of the music business.

Yes, latest version wouldn't launch. I downgraded and it works fine. They have info on their FAQ page about Panther problems.

rdowns
Nov 6, 2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by MM2270
Yes, I agree with you.
I'm concerned about Apple "cheapening" themselves with a deal like this. They've always represented class and style, and being a bit off the beaten path to me. Joining with McDonalds (if it even happens) means they aren't as concerned about that, and are just doing what they can to go after average Joe Blow to buy their products. I don't care for this strategy, because it seems like the easy way out IMHO. I would think Apple could come up with more classy partnerships to continue to target the more discriminating customer. Take a look at the VW Beatle and iPod "Pods Unite" promotion they had a little while back as an example of what I mean.

But then again, "discriminating customer" does not describe a HUGE portion of America these days, sadly enough. In a society dominated by cheap Walmart goods, caffeine drinks from Starbucks, sugar water from Pepsi, Coca-Cola, etc. and fatburgers from McD's and the rest, what else can we expect Apple to do?

Do you really believe the Apple-VW promotion sold many iPods or VWs for that matter? It is exactly that type of promotion that Apple has used over the years that hasn't done ****** for their market share.

I don't drink Pepsi nor eat at McD but I am ecstatic over this level of promotion both as a long time Apple user and stockholder.

Seems no matter what Apple does, the bitching and moaning follows. Are you sure you are all Apple supporters or just frustrated people?

rjwill246
Nov 6, 2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by MM2270
In a society dominated by cheap Walmart goods, caffeine drinks from Starbucks, sugar water from Pepsi, Coca-Cola, etc. and fatburgers from McD's and the rest, what else can we expect Apple to do?

Now THAT is the point. If we sit too haughtily on our high horses, our fall(s) will be that much more painful.
Because, wouldn't it be great if Apple could keep on the strictest of "ethical" paths, lose all market share and just go away? Thanks, Bill, we needed that!
Apple has to live in the real world... you know, the one, WE have all created. There is no place here for "standards" that are to Apple's detriment. Anyone critical of Pepsi, McDs etc needs to get a real grip and decide whether or not it is better for Apple to make inroads into the black hole of the Wintel universe... or just fail, but be OOOHHHHH! so "principled."
Time out on this silliness. Go pick on gun control or universal health care... something that has REAL social implications, not the pseudo-intellectual P/C-ers 'tilting at windmills' rubbish that seems to besot the gutless... ( ie those who like to pick battles without usable substance) -yeah, those who spend their idle time having a go at McDs and Pepsi!

MasterMac
Nov 7, 2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by MacFan26

Clean install of Panther on my machine and limewire works fine for me.

My suggestion is the same as srobert's suggestion; look at this (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031028151229265)

scat999999
Nov 16, 2003, 09:26 PM
Not Apple. Apple may be giving them a significant discount off the 99 cents per song, but Mc Donalds and Pepsi are paying for the downloads. Win-win for Apple. They get paid by the vendors, iTunes is sampled by people that never would have even thought of going to the Apple website and hopefully Apple will make some converts or sell a truck load of iPods.

Originally posted by arn
Well, the question is... do these promotions really affect Apple's image?

I don't necessarily think so... these giveaways aren't really seen as an Apple-thing so much as a McDonald's or Pepsi thing. Sure, they are giving away Apple stuff... but there are tons of cheesy giveaways out there that give away "cool" stuff. It just means that "stuff" is in demand.

arn