PDA

View Full Version : 2.0ghz mini fan running.

onereelbigfishy
Mar 29, 2008, 01:32 PM
Hey All,

I have a mini I just bought. Apple hardware test shows it has something wrong with it and clean installs never finish. The installer always gives an error. But otherwise it seems to run fine. BUT.... I've noticed that it is quite noisy sitting here on the desk with the fan running constantly. This is my first intel Mini so im wondering if this is normal or not. I really dont want to have to send it back to the AASP to get worked on if nothing is wrong with it but when hardware test says there is something wrong I tempted to believe it.

So. If there is no disc in the drive and the computer is basically sitting idle.. Should the fan be running constantly? Or is that a sign of a bigger issue?

Thanks!

-M

PNW
Mar 29, 2008, 01:54 PM
Did someone just up the RAM?
There is a cable that needs to be unplugged to access the RAM. If you forget to plug it back in the fan will run.

ewilson6
Mar 30, 2008, 04:59 AM
:(

EvanLugh
Mar 30, 2008, 06:22 AM
goto

system preferences-->energysaver-->options-->processor performance.

highest fan will run constantly. automatic about 50% of the time.

least only about 25% of the time.

--Eric
:eek::eek::eek:

There is no processor performance area. ;)

ewilson6
Mar 30, 2008, 11:14 AM

alphaod
Mar 30, 2008, 01:28 PM
I use SMC FanControl to throttle the fans. I set the threshold temps higher to so it spins up later. Also I replaced the thermal paste and temps dropped by 20 degrees Celsius.

EvanLugh
Mar 30, 2008, 02:12 PM
My fan is go-ing like the clappers, installed the Fan jobby but doesn't show up in prefpane. :cool: