PDA

View Full Version : Team Macrumors

arn
May 5, 2002, 10:36 AM
For those who asked...

MacRumors.com SETI team (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_139691.html) is up. We're a bit behind... so do your best! :)

What is SETI? (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4595) thread.

eyelikeart
May 5, 2002, 10:53 AM
I may have to start looking into it...I've seen other people running this thing on their computers...but didn't think about actually using it myself...hadn't been interested enough...

but I may change my mind a bit?

congrats on getting a team together...I'm sure the guys around here are going to be quite pleased! ;) :p

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 10:53 AM
First to join.

Throwing the gauntlet down!

I'm on to ET...

arn
May 5, 2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by pc_convert?
First to join.

Throwing the gauntlet down!

I'm on to ET...

heh... :)

I've got a 350mhz G4 sitting here next to me that isn't doing much... it's seti'd up... and my dual 800 will do it as it can....

arn

Ensign Paris
May 5, 2002, 10:57 AM
When I rebuilt my mac I forgot to put this on I have done now, and I have added myself to the team. I think I had around 40 units done :)

Ensign

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 11:03 AM
A bit a friendly competetion between macrumors regulars will soon see us catch the other groups.

I'm still leading with 155 units...

Ensign Paris
May 5, 2002, 11:10 AM
I have a few machines at work (about 23) that I can put Seti on and nobody would notice. I might do this, I think it would be a real boost!

I used to use a Centris and I have Seti on that, its was soooooo much slower that now!

Ensign

al256
May 5, 2002, 11:13 AM
I have an old iMac 233 running 10.1 with seti. I 3435 hr 54 min of running time, and I started doing seti on an old performa 6200CD with 75mhz. I'm going to add my pismo to the computers, since it has a cracked screen. I hope more people join this club.

britboy
May 5, 2002, 11:21 AM
Just joined. I'll see if i can catch up on the leaders :p

My tibook is on virtually 24/7, so with any luck i'll be able to get a few units done a week.

Ensign Paris
May 5, 2002, 11:30 AM
Looks like we have quite a few users now, thats good!

We need more! Anybody out there have a server farm?

Ensign

bobindashadows
May 5, 2002, 11:34 AM
I've had my 867 Mhz G4 running seti for a while, i've got like 18 units done. But i'm leading with 11 hours each unit :-D nyah

Anyone know how much it would slow down the units by running the darwin client along with the gui one? I think it's slowing me down... *shrugs*

pimentoLoaf
May 5, 2002, 11:42 AM
As one of the first people to sign-up for SETI when first released in non-Beta form, I willingly join your esteemed group and add my...

800+ units to the cause.

(And I fixed my "name link" so it no longer connects to the group I founded once -- Handspring Visor Crunchers Society -- but to this discussion.)

buffsldr
May 5, 2002, 11:43 AM
No disrespect intended to the SETI team, but I would really like to see a macrumors folding@home team. That is something that interests me a little more. What about it, Arn?

http://folding.stanford.edu/

GeeYouEye
May 5, 2002, 11:43 AM
I've signed up, glad to add my 260 units.

Ensign Paris
May 5, 2002, 11:46 AM
dang, my 40 units looks even smaller now, I am really going to have to use to machines at work to catch up!

Anyone know what the biggest team it?

Ensign

kevin49093
May 5, 2002, 11:54 AM
Just joined the team with 572. That puts me in third!

CountZero
May 5, 2002, 11:59 AM
Just join the team with 1005 units. Was running Folding@home but now that I have a team to join I am back to SETI@home. I am still waiting for my new TiBook 800 to arrive next week. Whe it does I will run SETI on that and Folding on my PC laptop:)

Mr. Anderson
May 5, 2002, 12:07 PM
I can't seem to find my old work units, I did it a while ago. Not much but I'll join later. Great to see we're up and running!

Ensign Paris
May 5, 2002, 12:14 PM
I wonder how many people we will get signed up!

MacAddict has many thousands :(

Ensign

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 12:18 PM
Not bad so far!

20 members in under 2 hours contributing

5290 work units and 10.622 years of CPU time!

Bring IT (or ET) on!

Falleron
May 5, 2002, 12:25 PM
I am thinking about joining. Only problem is that I am already in a group that I am happy with. I have about 300 units.

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 12:29 PM
Falleron what group are you with?

oldMac
May 5, 2002, 12:30 PM
da*m...

You guys must have slow computers. :)

Falleron
May 5, 2002, 12:32 PM
Falleron what group are you with?

No major team, just a couple people. I do have a Dual 1Ghz though, quite good for SETI.

al256
May 5, 2002, 12:33 PM
If you look at the page now we only have 2 results with like 30 hours of work.

edesignuk
May 5, 2002, 12:33 PM
I only downloaded SETI@home today.
I have just joined the group, I'm running it on my DP 1Ghz so maybe I'll catch up, I'm also running it on my PC, when I get back home and can get the password for the e-mail address I used I'll join under that one as well.

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 12:35 PM
the script that generates the page has gone wrong, arn can fix it by regenerating the page as per the instructions.

We only need about 170000 units to get in the top 200 teams.

Can we do it before 2003? Can you say G5!

Ensign Paris
May 5, 2002, 12:38 PM
Yes something strange has bappened there!

Ensign

Falleron
May 5, 2002, 12:38 PM
the script that generates the page has gone wrong, arn can fix it by regenerating the page as per the instructions.

We only need about 170000 units to get in the top 200 teams.

Can we do it before 2003? Can you say G5!
Thats a lot of units!!! Just imagine a G5 + SETI that is optimised for use with altivec!!! That would rock!

Ensign Paris
May 5, 2002, 12:43 PM
I might try to get my schools it manager to let me put it on all 268 PCs there, and at work I will get my boss to put it on any machines I can get my hands on (Mostly Macs over 800mhz)

Ensign

menoinjun
May 5, 2002, 12:47 PM
I'm in now. I am in 9th place with my dual 533. Hope this sparks some competition! Let's find some aliens!

Btw- I just graduated college!! Wo hoo!!

-Pete

Ensign Paris
May 5, 2002, 12:52 PM
Hey, well done on graduating college.

I am about a year and a quater from finishing high school, can't wait!

Ensign

Dr. Distortion
May 5, 2002, 01:14 PM
What about a Macrumors Folding@home team? By joining that distributed computing project it's:
1) easier to get in the top 50
2) you really help science with this... expected results are cures for BSE and other deseases

Well, I've recently joined the MacAddict folding@home team, and I'm not going to switch back to seti anymore. I've got 4 macs and 15 pcs crunching on folding now :P

Oh yeah, the MacAddict folding team has created a very nice utility, called Folding Control, to automate the entire installation: it installs the cli version and adds it to the CRONTAB, so it starts automatically and it runs even if you're not logged on.

Well, enough rant for now...

-Dr. D.

buffsldr
May 5, 2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion
What about a Macrumors Folding@home team? By joining that distributed computing project it's:
1) easier to get in the top 50
2) you really help science with this... expected results are cures for BSE and other deseases

Well, I've recently joined the MacAddict folding@home team, and I'm not going to switch back to seti anymore. I've got 4 macs and 15 pcs crunching on folding now :P

Oh yeah, the MacAddict folding team has created a very nice utility, called Folding Control, to automate the entire installation: it installs the cli version and adds it to the CRONTAB, so it starts automatically and it runs even if you're not logged on.

Well, enough rant for now...

-Dr. D.

I asked Arn about this on an early thread in this same post. I agree with you. No offense to the seti team, but I see this making more of a difference to the peeps on this planet. Not as glamorous as the search for ET, but it could save your bacon one day.

Dr. Distortion
May 5, 2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by buffsldr

I asked Arn about this on an early thread in this same post. I agree with you. No offense to the seti team, but I see this making more of a difference to the peeps on this planet. Not as glamorous as the search for ET, but it could save your bacon one day.

Indeed, and I think we can get to a higher place in the top teams with folding than with seti, because with seti we would have to catch up on teams which have been crunching data for years...

lucs
May 5, 2002, 01:47 PM
Hey hey, now i joined too contributing with an amazing 0 units!!! Lets keep up the good work!!

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 02:03 PM
lucs love the signature :D

usa4jer
May 5, 2002, 02:18 PM
just joined up and i'm number #21, should be up in the top 20 by the end of today. here come's jer. the dual ghz is chugging away on the alien number crunching. Booyah grandma, booyah.

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 02:57 PM
Average seti work unit processing time 16hrs 55 mins

4806 macrumors members

if each member processes 1 WU each day

=4,806 units/day
=33,642 units/week
=1,754,190 units/year

hmmm.....

arn
May 5, 2002, 02:59 PM

I must not read well... instructions? Where?

arn

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 03:01 PM
top of group page...

says
Note: Occasionally the daily scripts that create this file fail to generate each page correctly. If you think this has happened, then the founder of this team can regenerate this file at any time by doing the following:

Click on "Edit this Group".
Enter the founder's SETI@home email address and password.
Click on the "Edit Group" button at the bottom of that page.

;)

arn
May 5, 2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion
What about a Macrumors Folding@home team?

Folding might be a good idea... this (Macrumors Seti) was mostly pushed by user interest... so let's get this one established, and we can talk about Folding @ Home....

arn

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 03:03 PM
How about some forums for the macrumors seti/folding/other distributed efforts...

Mr. Anderson
May 5, 2002, 03:06 PM
We're already talking about going on to something else?

I found my old account with a whopping 8 units. I joined and I'll have one machine working on it pretty much full time. Not very fast though, its a 450 MHz G4. But as of my joining we now have 38 members.

arn
May 5, 2002, 03:10 PM
How about some forums for the macrumors seti/folding/other distributed efforts...

It's always one more thing with you all.... :)

new forum: http://www.macrumors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php3?forumid=19

arn

jelloshotsrule
May 5, 2002, 03:11 PM
it's amazing that someone has devoted over 7 years processing time to this on their own. and that's only the top of the macrumors group. i haven't even looked at the top overall, but i can't fathom how high it must be.

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 03:15 PM
dukestreet said,

We're already talking about going on to something else?

Some people want to hunt for ET and some want to search for cures for diseases so why not have two teams, they are not mutally exclusive.

Folding@home is a good project but my only concern is what happens to the research? Will this make treatments/drugs cheaper for those that need them or will we just be doing the research for the drug companies and be getting charged the same?

The folding@home site is not clear on this issue. Anyone know?

jelloshotsrule
May 5, 2002, 03:18 PM
sorry for being dumb but...

i have the gui version going, but which version should i download to use the command line?

on the download page it has 3.03 version for macintosh

and the gui os x version

and a command line version, but it says "os x server"...?

once i get it i can utilize both processors... thanks

Ensign Paris
May 5, 2002, 03:22 PM
We could make a automatic system that automaticly distributed data units and then each mac of macrumors.com would come up with a different date for the g5 release!

Ensign

pc_convert?
May 5, 2002, 03:23 PM
go here (http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/unix.html)

scroll down and get the command-line client

powerpc-apple-darwin1.2:

Set up 2 directories eg SetiCPU0 Seti CPU1 and your away..

Command line client much faster:D

arn
May 5, 2002, 03:38 PM

Some people want to hunt for ET and some want to search for cures for diseases so why not have two teams, they are not mutally exclusive.

You are correct... they aren't mutually exclusive. It may split efforts amongst those who want to be #1. (we have a long way to go at any rate)

But I guess the real point of these teams are personal bragging rights amongst each other and to promote these projects... which have at least some scientific/research value.

folding@home Macrumors team:

http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=3446

arn

Falleron
May 5, 2002, 03:39 PM
Just joined the team, 300 units or so added to the total!

How about trying to promote the group on other forums?

Choppaface
May 5, 2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
sorry for being dumb but...

i have the gui version going, but which version should i download to use the command line?

on the download page it has 3.03 version for macintosh

and the gui os x version

and a command line version, but it says "os x server"...?

once i get it i can utilize both processors... thanks

1)download the file here and decompress it: ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/setiathome/setiathome-3.03.powerpc-apple-darwin1.2.tar

#you can put the app anywhere but for this demonstration we will be using
#one in the applications folder.

2) create a folder in the apps folder for setiathome, lets call it SETI
3) put the setiathome file that you decompressed in step 1 in the folder you made in step 2
4) ONLY if you have a dual processor machine, duplicate the folder the folder with setiathome in it that you just made in step 3, lets call it SETI2
5) open the terminal
6) cd to the directory where seti lies by typing:

cd /Applications/SETI

7) run setiathome by typing

./setiathome

8) you will get some instructions then that are pretty self explanitory
9) while it's running, don't close the terminal window.... but you CAN hide the terminal. closing the terminal window ends the seti process for some reason

10) if you have a dp machine, open a second terminal window
11) cd to the second setiathome directory by typing:

cd /Applications/SETI2

12) run it by typing:

./setiathome

################
if you want setiathome to tell you what its doing while its crunching,
run it by typing "./setiathome -verbose" instead lf just "./setiathome"
I've found that it costs somwhere around 15 to 30 minutes a unit, so no biggie

you can also symlink the clients if you have a dp machine, but I'm not sure how to do that

always remember to cd to the directory that stores it before running it. if you dont and just type in its fully path to run it (e.g. typing "/Applications/SETI/setiathome"), then it will dump all its files in whatever the current directory is (usually your home directory if you just opened the terminal). this is why you have to have each copy in its own directory if you want to run 2 copies

Falleron
May 5, 2002, 03:48 PM
I suggest that when you have cli version installed you use a program called SETICNTL or SetiDockling to monitor their progres. Both programs will keep the terminals out of view + will give you a continuous progress bars. Goto www.versiontracker.com/macosx to find it.

GeeYouEye
May 5, 2002, 03:50 PM
I've signed up, glad to add my 260 units.

pimentoLoaf
May 5, 2002, 04:51 PM
If you want to run the GUI client faster, keep it in the Dock (or, if os9, minimize the window).

And yup! Don't run it as a screensaver. Run it in the background. (Though, in os9, it barely runs at all in that capacity if you're playing a game or running anything processor intensive. Turn it off, then.)

Will probably switch to the command-line osX version soon. No reason to slow-up processing: under os9, I'm averaging 13 hours-something, but osX takes 19 hours-something...

...On an iceBook 500 dual-USB 12".

edesignuk
May 5, 2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks Choppaface to the guide for how to run the app under the terminal, I'm now running it twice! 1 per Ghz CPU...sweet :D

edesignuk
May 5, 2002, 05:07 PM
Holy crap! Both CPU's are maxing out at 100% usage with the terminal running setiathome twice! Some serious number crunching! :cool:

Choppaface
May 5, 2002, 05:28 PM
I've treid SETICNTL and although its great for storing units (I used to use SUM) I can't get it to upload and I end up having to do all the uploads manually

dunno why

and ya for some reason in top on dp machines you can have 200% cpu time....guess its supposed to be that way but its kinda wierd

Falleron
May 5, 2002, 05:32 PM
I have in the past had problems sending units back with SETICNTL. However, if it does not send the units just close the program + reload it, + press send again. That seems to sort it out for me.

Rower_CPU
May 5, 2002, 06:59 PM
I'm in with my 2 cents, err, units. :D

Choppaface
May 5, 2002, 07:09 PM
I have in the past had problems sending units back with SETICNTL. However, if it does not send the units just close the program + reload it, + press send again. That seems to sort it out for me.

I've tried that too and it doesnt always seem to work for me. i dont think its really the app's fault, i think its just that the seti servers are slow. the app is prolly just trying to send them too quickly. cuz i never had a problem with SUM in OS 9 and they do essentially the same thing, accept sum seems to wait till it starts to dl a new unit. it seems SETICNTL waits until the unit is completely downloaded, which sometimes doesnt happen.

well i just checked my numbers and my G4 and PC combined are indeed pushing more than 100 units/week :D :D
guess I need to use them more he he

Rower_CPU
May 5, 2002, 07:12 PM
Who the **** is solipsys?!?!?!

Results: 11199
CPU TIme: 14.246 years

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Beej
May 5, 2002, 07:41 PM
w00t! 50th member! w00t for me! :D

I'm in with my 26 units. You'll be seeing that number shooting up pretty quickly...

I just saw that I have the longest processing time per unit = 54 hours! Damn! My 933 cranks them out in about 9 hours! I guess that's what you get for running SETI on a 7200/120 :) You'll see that number coming down pretty quickly, too...

pc_convert?
May 6, 2002, 01:17 AM
who is klaxon?

5hrs 41min /unit what system?

oldMac
May 6, 2002, 01:24 AM
Klaxon must be running an Alpha or MIPS to get those kind of number (5 hours 41 minutes).

Choppaface
May 6, 2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by oldMac
Klaxon must be running an Alpha or MIPS to get those kind of number (5 hours 41 minutes).

or perhaps some sort of PC. i get 4 hours to 4.5 hours per unit per client (running 2 clients) on my dual athlon 1900 XP. i've heard a dual Ghz G4 can do one in 6 hours, 5h 41m might be possible though

whoever solipsys*is, they must have a server farm or something :D
SETI@home has only been around for a few years

j763
May 6, 2002, 02:25 AM
I don't think that you could achieve that on ONE PC. I'd suggest he's got a frickin' big server with a MIPS processor!

Solipsys
May 6, 2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Choppaface

whoever solipsys*is, they must have a server farm or something :D
SETI@home has only been around for a few years

actually, a couple years ago i worked as a sys admin at the san francisco art institute. we had just gotten our new shipment of about 50 dual 450 g4s and it seemed like i good idea to put seti on them for the screensavers... and they ran around the clock.
i had totally forgotten about all those units until i saw the new macrumors seti group today so i put them towards that and installed seti on all my home machines again.

we'll catch up with macaddict soon enough :)

Dr. Distortion
May 6, 2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by j763
I don't think that you could achieve that on ONE PC. I'd suggest he's got a frickin' big server with a MIPS processor!

Or, maybe he's running it on an Apple G5 prototype!!!

mmmdreg
May 6, 2002, 03:59 AM
why dont we just run folding and seti on the same computers...i mean i got the seti screensaver and folding client going...and Beej, do you think you could drop by the thread in Mac help about Optusnet customers? its here (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4651)

Falleron
May 6, 2002, 05:16 AM
Choppaface. Not sure about SUM! Is it a free program????? I always thought that it made you donate some work units to the creators??

Why dont we all try and promote the group + forum?? Maybe post messages on other forums + on the seti boards?

The team stats are still a bit messed!

pc_convert?
May 6, 2002, 09:16 AM
I've started a new thread (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4656) so people can get idea of how many work units they can contribute.

You can also brag about how fast (or slow) you machine is...

P.S. arn could you try and rectify the SETI stats page

pimentoLoaf
May 6, 2002, 11:25 PM
Okay, I'm now running the CLI version and I have a Stickie with instructions of what to do stuck on my desktop.

Was wondering... if an AppleScript could fire up Terminal and type the CD and ./seti... instructions?

peterjhill
May 7, 2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by oldMac

It is funny, but Cisco is replacing the MIPS chips in there equipment with G5's. I think that MIPS chip development does not exist anymore.

As for team MacRumors.com, I have been a member of Team MacAddict for a long time (just got my 500 work unit cert.) and it would be hard for me to leave them. Though, I do enjoy this group much more than that one.

Maybe I'll switch...

Falleron
May 7, 2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by peterjhill

It is funny, but Cisco is replacing the MIPS chips in there equipment with G5's. I think that MIPS chip development does not exist anymore.

As for team MacRumors.com, I have been a member of Team MacAddict for a long time (just got my 500 work unit cert.) and it would be hard for me to leave them. Though, I do enjoy this group much more than that one.

Maybe I'll switch...

Come over and join! Help make it a really good team - plus try and bring others with you!!

Mr. Anderson
May 7, 2002, 09:25 AM
We've already had a few converts so far, myself included, and with their number of units you won't even make a dent. We need all we can get and it would make a bigger difference.

Falleron
May 7, 2002, 09:28 AM
Promotion is the key!!! Arn, can we get the stats for the team sorted.

peterjhill
May 7, 2002, 10:51 AM
Okay, I joined today. 514 WU's. It is kind of cool actually being near the top of the group. Let's kick some ass!

alex_ant
May 11, 2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by peterjhill

OK, this (my) whole post is off-topic, but only MIPS's high-end chips are languishing at the moment (although the R14K is still holding its own)... their embedded chips, which comprise most of what they are responsible for, are doing very well.

I think that MIPS probably has the coolest-sounding name of any CPU maker. Just say it. "MIPS." One syllable of greatness. Likewise, I think the "Rx000" names are among the coolest sounding model names as well. I mean, would you rather have an R14000, which sounds all high-tech and space-age, or would you rather have an Itanium, Opteron, Pentium, Athlon, or Celeron, all of which simply sound... lame? "PowerPC" is cool, too, but it's quite easy to change the spelling of that to "SlowerPC"... :)

Alex

alex_ant
May 11, 2002, 01:44 AM
Now to be on-topic, I would join SETI@home if there were a way for me to run the software without my TiBook fan coming on high. I ran it briefly the other day just to see how fast it was - I multiplied the time it took to finish 1% of a WU by 100 to estimate approximately how fast I could complete the whole thing (on a 550MHz G4) and I figured about 10 hours. The last time I ran SETI@home was on a 350MHz AMD K6-2... and each WU took about 26 hours.

10 hours! Vroom! (Mimic TiBook hairdryer noise)

Alex

Falleron
May 11, 2002, 04:53 AM
There is probably no way to stop the fan coming on unfortunatly. Crunching units is a processor intensive task. If you are running the CLI version in OSX you could try lowering the priorty? This will slow the work unit down + MAY stop your fan coming on so frequently. However, if you are not using your computer + seti is running then fan will most likely come on because no other programs have a higher priority.

Not sure if that made sense!

pimentoLoaf
Jun 2, 2002, 11:48 AM
Gee... we only have 80 members; think we could do better?

Falleron
Jun 2, 2002, 12:20 PM
Unless we can have a page which tells us general info such as rank, whether we are progressing then I think it will be hard! Check this teams page out;

http://team.macnn.com/seti/index.phtml

A joint Folding / SETI page would do great even if it is quite simple.

wake up Jobs!!!
Jun 2, 2002, 02:38 PM
Thats great. I cant wait to use my mac to find a cone-head living on mars!