PDA

View Full Version : CD and Disk Image won't mount

chris_j_noble
Nov 7, 2003, 04:09 AM
Hey all. I seem to have a problem mounting cd's and Disk Images on my G4 running OS X 10.1.5. It seems to suddenly have stopped loading cd's and I'm not sure what I have loaded recently or done to have caused this. When I insert a cd into the drive (not SuperDrive) it comes up with the following error:

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To use the unreadable volumes, click Initialize. To continue with the disk inserted, click Continue."

Any ideas what has changed to have caused this? I have cleaned the lens by the way . . .

Chris

fortgreen1
Feb 26, 2004, 05:24 PM
I had a similar problem with my I book g3 white with combo drive.
In my case this particular cd mounted fine on other macs (panther) but not on mine (also panther). and it says "you Inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read"
on my machine I booted on os 9 and disk mounted but contained nothing in it. it was burned as mac standard according to other macs that read the disk.

I thought it was a hardware problem,

but I ran disc utility and repair the permissions on my machine and Uninstalled my toast , deleted everything that has to do with toast and re installed it.

but this time, I installed in such way like below

I booted from panther, ran installer (5.0) in classic mode then in diskutility and unmounted everything but the boot volume. then did the 5.2.3 upgrade. I restarted it and the CD disk came up just fine.

so you could try that as well I guess

ebuddy889
Mar 23, 2004, 02:44 AM
Hey all. I seem to have a problem mounting cd's and Disk Images on my G4 running OS X 10.1.5. It seems to suddenly have stopped loading cd's and I'm not sure what I have loaded recently or done to have caused this. When I insert a cd into the drive (not SuperDrive) it comes up with the following error:

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To use the unreadable volumes, click Initialize. To continue with the disk inserted, click Continue."

Any ideas what has changed to have caused this? I have cleaned the lens by the way . . .

Chris
Sounds like you need to update the disk drivers using disk utiltiy. As for the disk images not mounting it's and issue with "disc copy." I think if you updated to 10.2.8 you will find answers to a lot of your problems.

I'd buy a G5 if I were rich....

Sol
Mar 23, 2004, 04:42 AM
I have had this problem on a 733MHz G4 PowerMac and a dual 800MHz G4 PowerMac, both running OS X 10.2. Sometimes any discs that are not internal hard drives will not mount and the only way to get around this is to log out and re-log into my account. I am not sure what causes the problem but it has nothing to do with the integrity of the discs that do not mount.