Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admiraldennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Boston, MA
I've had my iBook/500 (dual usb) for a few years now, and recently decided to get an AirPort card for it for use in school. I bought it used, but it was in very good condition (factory box), and the computer recognizes it fine.

Today I installed the card, but my reception seems to be horrible. I need to be within like a few feet of any base station for it to work! :confused:

My friend on his PowerBook (he has an airport extreme card, but our school only has 802.11b) can get 90% range when I don't get *any*? :confused:

Is something wrong here? A defective card? Antenna? Or is that was 'normal' airport is like, and somehow his card helps him in an 802.11b network?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Something is odd. The iBook is known for its range over a TiBook. Perhaps the antenna didn't get plugged in to the card when you installed it?

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Very odd. My iBook 700 Combo can get a full signal 50 feet away from the router. I get 3/4 on the Airport display when I'm standing in my driveway, about 75 feet way - and I still get reception around the corner from the house. Check to see if you plugged in the attenna cable into the card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.