PDA

View Full Version : iBook / AirPort - Horrid Range?

admiraldennis
Nov 7, 2003, 04:23 PM
I've had my iBook/500 (dual usb) for a few years now, and recently decided to get an AirPort card for it for use in school. I bought it used, but it was in very good condition (factory box), and the computer recognizes it fine.

Today I installed the card, but my reception seems to be horrible. I need to be within like a few feet of any base station for it to work! :confused:

My friend on his PowerBook (he has an airport extreme card, but our school only has 802.11b) can get 90% range when I don't get *any*? :confused:

Is something wrong here? A defective card? Antenna? Or is that was 'normal' airport is like, and somehow his card helps him in an 802.11b network?

mactastic
Nov 7, 2003, 05:26 PM
Something is odd. The iBook is known for its range over a TiBook. Perhaps the antenna didn't get plugged in to the card when you installed it?

Mr. MacPhisto
Nov 7, 2003, 09:48 PM
Very odd. My iBook 700 Combo can get a full signal 50 feet away from the router. I get 3/4 on the Airport display when I'm standing in my driveway, about 75 feet way - and I still get reception around the corner from the house. Check to see if you plugged in the attenna cable into the card.