PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch RF-52 *now with pics (in a link)*

Victor ch
Apr 6, 2008, 03:00 PM
Hi,

After several months pursuing to buy a decent stereo system I checked some audio brands available here in Costa Rica. I looked at Bose and almost bought the 301's (thank god I didn't) and now Im looking at Polkaudio, KEF and Klipsch. I fell in love with KEF and Klipsch and decided that Klipsch suited me better (music taste and budget, 610$ the pair) Their Reference 52 floorstanding speakers are awesome and Im actually buying them today. BTW I have a NAD C315BEE (40w per channel) amp to go with my future speakers. Thanks to all who posted!

Edit: Getting Klipsch in t-minus 3 hours :cool:
Victor

RedRedBlockhead
Apr 6, 2008, 03:25 PM
Sorry I haven't hear much on polkaudio. I have a pair of KEF reference 102s and they are beauties. You need the Kube 102 to go with. Very good value for money second hand. You could also ask over at head-fi.org or avforums.com.

Victor ch
Apr 6, 2008, 03:55 PM
Sorry I haven't hear much on polkaudio. I have a pair of KEF reference 102s and they are beauties. You need the Kube 102 to go with. Very good value for money second hand. You could also ask over at head-fi.org or avforums.com.

Thanks man, but I kinda get confused in those forums, MR is more orderly.

Also I forgot to mention, I don't want to buy a subwoofer, don't quite have the cash and my amp has no subwoofer output so... Also there is no much room in my bedroom for a subwoofer and I would like a 2 piece only system.

Victor

zimv20
Apr 6, 2008, 03:59 PM
I've got some Polk floor speakers hooked up to my stereo. Have had them for years and they're fine for casual listening. That's one of the systems I use to check my mixes.

Victor ch
Apr 6, 2008, 04:02 PM
I've got some Polk floor speakers hooked up to my stereo. Have had them for years and they're fine for casual listening. That's one of the systems I use to check my mixes.

Hmm interesting, what do you mean by casual listening?

Victor

benlee
Apr 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
I have some small Polk Audio speakers hooked up to my receiver for music and they sound great. I bought some outdoor Polk speakers for my girlfriend's father and they too have amazing sound.

I have definitely noticed that Polk speakers work better with highs than Bose, but Bose speakers handle lows better.

Victor ch
Apr 6, 2008, 04:08 PM
I have some small Polk Audio speakers hooked up to my receiver for music and they sound great. I bought some outdoor Polk speakers for my girlfriend's father and they too have amazing sound.

I have definitely noticed that Polk speakers work better with highs than Bose, but Bose speakers handle lows better.

Thanks for the input. Thats what Im worried... that I would need a sub since I listen to bass heavy music. I want to avoid the Bose at all costs, but if there is no other option... I'll go check the Polk ones either later today or during this week, I certainly don't want to buy a sub nor Bose.

Victor

RedRedBlockhead
Apr 6, 2008, 06:22 PM
A wise choice, neither bose or a cheap sub are going to help you much for monitoring! Have you considered phones? Very good for mono mixing and vital for tracking!

zimv20
Apr 6, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hmm interesting, what do you mean by casual listening?

as opposed to critical listening. i wouldn't mix on the polks, but i can check mixes on them as part of a consumer setup.

they're somewhat flattering; dunno if that's what you're looking for in your system. i like my stereo to make things sound good, and the polks work well in that role.

Victor ch
Apr 6, 2008, 10:57 PM
as opposed to critical listening. i wouldn't mix on the polks, but i can check mixes on them as part of a consumer setup.

they're somewhat flattering; dunno if that's what you're looking for in your system. i like my stereo to make things sound good, and the polks work well in that role.

Thanks for the input. I don't mix (well like once or twice but I use headphones and software so...)

Im looking for a hi-fi system. My NAD amp should arrive within this week and its hi-fi labeled. I would watch movies, listen to my awesome electronic music cds (compilations) and play some PS3 games. I've "moded" my room so its "acoustically friendly" and I would just like a nice pair of loud speakers for my music/movies. I won't go Bose nor can I afford B&W... KEF isn't available here (not the consumer ones at least) So Polk is the safest bet.

Victor

benlee
Apr 6, 2008, 11:08 PM
I would suggest going and giving them a listen at the store.

I don't listen to very heavy bass music so I can't comment on that but I can comment on the high quality of Polk Audio.

IMO Bose are not all they are cracked up to be, they are good for bass though.

Victor ch
Apr 6, 2008, 11:36 PM

I don't listen to very heavy bass music so I can't comment on that but I can comment on the high quality of Polk Audio.

Yup, I would definitely go and listen to them before buying. I'll take some electronic CD's to test the speakers as well as other kind of music CD's. Bose is a tad overrated, they aren't crap as many self-proclaimed audiophiles say, but they aren't exactly the best sounding speakers for their price tag. Thanks again for the input.

Victor

QuarterSwede
Apr 6, 2008, 11:49 PM

snipped

Bose is good for midrange to lower midrange. The highs aren't that good and the sub frequencies are pretty weak, if there at all, in my opinion.

I've only heard Polk Momo's in a car setting where they performed very well. I'd imagine their floor or bookshelf speakers are equally good.

I'd also suggest you go and listen to them if you can. Everyone hears differently and you may like something else better.

zimv20
Apr 6, 2008, 11:52 PM
The problem with listening in a store is that their room is different from yours. Whatever you take home will sound different.

Victor ch
Apr 7, 2008, 03:37 AM
Bose is good for midrange to lower midrange. The highs aren't that good and the sub frequencies are pretty weak, if there at all, in my opinion.

I've only heard Polk Momo's in a car setting where they performed very well. I'd imagine their floor or bookshelf speakers are equally good.

I'd also suggest you go and listen to them if you can. Everyone hears differently and you may like something else better.

Thanks for the input man. I would go one day this week to test them and next weekend I'll go buy them (if I like them that is). I will ask the guy at the store to test all the sub $500 speakers available and see what happens.

Victor

Victor ch
Apr 7, 2008, 03:52 AM
The problem with listening in a store is that their room is different from yours. Whatever you take home will sound different.

Im aware of that, but my room is quite "acoustically friendly". I followed Kyllp's advice and hung a thick rug on the back wall so that it would make the room "sound" better. Here's a quick sketch of the part of my room where my system would be; the yellow thing is where the rug is, the green things are where I would place the speakers and the measurements are just quick guesses, I have no idea how much they really are, but the room isn't that small. Thanks again for all the input.
Victor

zimv20
Apr 7, 2008, 09:53 PM
hung a thick rug on the back wall so that it would make the room "sound" better.

that rug will kill some of your mid and high frequencies, but do nothing to tame the bass frequencies. it's those lower freqs which tend to be more problematic in smaller rooms.

i recommend throwing some cheap basstraps in there (i get mine from realtraps.com and gikacoustics.com) and then spot-treating higher freqs as needed. if you do that, i suspect you won't end up using that rug.

Victor ch
Apr 7, 2008, 10:51 PM
that rug will kill some of your mid and high frequencies, but do nothing to tame the bass frequencies. it's those lower freqs which tend to be more problematic in smaller rooms.

i recommend throwing some cheap basstraps in there (i get mine from realtraps.com and gikacoustics.com) and then spot-treating higher freqs as needed. if you do that, i suspect you won't end up using that rug.

The rug did remove the eco it had. If I went to one corner and snapped my fingers the sound will come from everywhere and wasn't 'pleasant' now if I do the same thing the sound won't 'bounce' as much; mission accomplished.

Hey and thanks for all the input... But Im gonna go KEF after all. Their iQ series are just plain awesome and the price isn't shabby at all. Thanks again for the input. At first the only KEF I saw at the store was the utterly expensive (and awesome) XQ series (all are $1K+) but apparently they do have the iQ series.

Victor

RedRedBlockhead
Apr 8, 2008, 04:37 AM
IMO you'd be better off with something second hand from the reference series.

Victor ch
Apr 8, 2008, 12:09 PM
IMO you'd be better off with something second hand from the reference series.

Hmm I'll ask if the store has second hand ones, if not I won't search my whole country for them (and I highly doubt I'll find them since Costa Ricans give a **** about sound quality; they're happy with their iPod headphones and 10$ computer speakers). Thanks for the input though.

Victor

RedRedBlockhead
Apr 8, 2008, 12:21 PM
Ah fair enough then. Over here in England there are loads floating around on ebay for about the 150 mark.

Victor ch
Apr 8, 2008, 12:28 PM
Ah fair enough then. Over here in England there are loads floating around on ebay for about the 150 mark.

Lucky you... seriously. You can get Rotel, B&W, KEF easily. I can get genious 14.99$ speakers :D:D And there are few high-end audio stores here, not more than 5 really.

Victor

Victor ch
Apr 9, 2008, 03:04 AM
KEF... no one??? :confused:

Victor

Victor ch
Apr 12, 2008, 04:57 PM
Well, after testing KEF and Klipsch I decided to go Klipsch... KEF is more high-end than Klipsch but Klipsch went better with my musical tastes and wallet :p Their iQ5's and 7 were awesome but less "bassy" than the Klipsch. Im not going to get their consumer lineup, I can get one of their Reference Series for less money; I get dual Cerametallic (special material developed by Klipsch) woofers and a much better tweeter than in their synergy line and very sensitive speakers (96dB). I tested both brands and both are awesome, but due mainly to my music tastes Im going Klipsch, that is unless my dad decides to buy me the iQ9's that are bassy enough but at $1.4K; highly doubt it.. Anyway thanks for all the input.

Victor

Victor ch
Apr 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
Well, after I went Klipsch and Im getting their Reference 52's floorstanders in a couple of hours :D:D After I get them and hopefully get the amp too (should've arrived this weekend) I will write a 'review' and anyone with doubts please don't hesitate to ask :).

Victor

gloss
Apr 15, 2008, 09:41 PM
Well, after I went Klipsch and Im getting their Reference 52's floorstanders in a couple of hours :D:D After I get them and hopefully get the amp too (should've arrived this weekend) I will write a 'review' and anyone with doubts please don't hesitate to ask :).

Victor

The Reference Series is quite good. I'm running RC-3 and RS-3 center and surround channels, which are the predecessors of the newer reference models. Remember to give it 12-24 hours worth of music at a decent volume in order to break in the tweeters - this will smooth out the high-end a bit, since they tend to come in a bit harsh to begin with.

Victor ch
Apr 15, 2008, 09:57 PM
The Reference Series is quite good. I'm running RC-3 and RS-3 center and surround channels, which are the predecessors of the newer reference models. Remember to give it 12-24 hours worth of music at a decent volume in order to break in the tweeters - this will smooth out the high-end a bit, since they tend to come in a bit harsh to begin with.

Thanks man! Awesome advice BTW. The pair I currently own were the ones on display so they have been used a bit (they weren't connected, they only had the Synergy series with the amp, but few poeple before me had the poor guy hook up the 20kg speakers :p) I'll definitely lay back and enjoy the speakers for a while at a decent volume to break them in.

The funny thing is that I have these awesome speakers just standing there... I HAVE NO AMP!:mad::eek::mad: The customs agency decided to keep my NAD amplifier a bit longer than expected! Lesson learned: avoid importing things to a country with the most inefficient/stupid customs agency. Thanks for the input bro; and if someone wants pics just ask me and I'll post them :D

Victor

gloss
Apr 15, 2008, 10:39 PM
Another thing about the Reference Series in particular is that the floorstanding mains (like the RF-52s) are slightly light on the low-end bass relative to some older Klipsch standalones - this is because the Reference series were designed more to function as a system than as simply a pair of stereo speakers. It's not something that's likely to bother you all that much unless you listen to your music at outrageous volumes (which are something that Klipsch speakers excel at, by the way), but if you do plan on giving your speakers a real workout at some point, a matching subwoofer will do wonders to fill out the low end.

The main downside there is that the subwoofers are the most expensive single components that Klipsch sells. :)

Victor ch
Apr 15, 2008, 11:15 PM
Another thing about the Reference Series in particular is that the floorstanding mains (like the RF-52s) are slightly light on the low-end bass relative to some older Klipsch standalones - this is because the Reference series were designed more to function as a system than as simply a pair of stereo speakers. It's not something that's likely to bother you all that much unless you listen to your music at outrageous volumes (which are something that Klipsch speakers excel at, by the way), but if you do plan on giving your speakers a real workout at some point, a matching subwoofer will do wonders to fill out the low end.

The main downside there is that the subwoofers are the most expensive single components that Klipsch sells. :)

Yeah I kinda noticed this lack of bass, yet they managed perfectly my electronic music (not that it can use a bit more 'thump' :p) If I get one (probably will for my b-day or something) their cheapest active one (from the reference series) was sub $500 so it isn't that big a deal and its well worth it. Thanks for the input.

Victor

Victor ch
Apr 16, 2008, 08:24 PM
I..I.II.III CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER :mad::mad::mad: LOL, seriously, Im gonna go berserk if the stupid customs agency decides to keep my amp longer than expected... I already paid them $20 so the item (due to being under $500) can avoid taxes and well, its still sitting there on a shelf while the probably obese(and lazy) customs officer is sipping on his coffee waiting for a motivation to approve the paper stuff and send my amp home... I hate customs

Victor

Victor ch
Apr 28, 2008, 06:56 PM
Wooot!!!:):):) Well, finally the amp arrived and holy bejesus.... The sound is incredible, so clear yet so "live". Its kinda hard to explain the sound they produce, and thank god they're sensitive (96dB @ 2.83V / 1m) cause they work so effing good with my 40w NAD C315BEE amplifier. I'll post this on the Bose love/hate thread too. Their running at 1/4 of the volume and yet they manage to produce large amounts of sound, can't wait till they are already "break in" in a few hours so I can blast them up :D I will recommend these speakers to anyone looking for an awesome hi-fi setup and have a spare $600 :p; as many reviewers say, the sound from these ones is something to be expected from much much more expensive speakers. Thanks to everyone who posted. Peace out.

Edit: Linkety linky (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5373404#post5373404)to the Bose thread.
Victor

Victor ch
May 3, 2008, 09:42 PM
Well... After owning them properly for a week i can only say they're plain awesome. The one thing though is kinda of a good/bad thing: the tweeter is horn-loaded which makes them effortlessly reproduce complex notes with a sweet "clarity" to them, but, at the same time, makes certain very high-pitched notes seem kinda harsh and make your ears bleed cause of the volumes they reach (metaphorically ofc). The bass is kind of a weird thing, they reproduce the notes as they're meant to be played, but have this "dry" in it like if they could use a tad more "definition" (coming from a sub) but its not something that bothers me. Extremely well sounding and can reach extreme volumes without causing more than temporary deafness :p; beats the ***** out of the Bose 901s ($1.3K) in both sound quality and volume. As soon as I can get hands on my sisters D80 I'll post good photos of them and might even throw in a video of them in action.

Here's a link (http://www.klipsch.com/media/news-center/reviews-press-pdfs/33239_eprint.pdf) to a more professional review (inclds the whole 5.1 setup in the review)

Victor

Victor ch
May 14, 2008, 11:05 PM
Well I took the time to take the pics and uploading them to my .mac.

HERE IS THE LINKETY LINK (http://web.mac.com/victorch/Site/Photos.html)

Victor