Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
My only annoyance with the MBA is that it no longer has a second enter key like my PowerBook used to have, all it has is another option key between the command and arrow keys.

How can I remap the option key on the right side to work as an enter key?

Why I would need two option keys is beyond me, but I didn't realize how useful that extra enter key really was.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I really never saw the use in having two enter keys. Before I got a Mac, my Dell lappy had a forward-delete key next to the arrows which I really liked. So when I got my MacBook, I had to live without it for a while, but then I stumbled upon DoubleCommand. It let me remap my little enter key to forward delete.

Hmm... After checking the PrefPane, it assumes that you want your 2nd enter to be mapped to something else... I don't know how it'll react to there being an option key there, so I guess it's up to you whether you wanna give it a try or not.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
It wasn't a *second* enter key, it was a dedicated enter key. The other key on the right is a carriage return. Most applications don't treat them differently, but for those that do (eg Mathematica) this new set up is a pain.

You now have to press fn + carriage return to get the behaviour of the enter key.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
It wasn't a *second* enter key, it was a dedicated enter key. The other key on the right is a carriage return. Most applications don't treat them differently, but for those that do (eg Mathematica) this new set up is a pain.

You now have to press fn + carriage return to get the behaviour of the enter key.

Mathematica is mostly what I used that enter key for.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Wow, I have had an iBook laptop for four years now and never really noticed the second smaller enter key...never! :eek: And I am usually very observant of everything tech!

I now see the benefit of having it I guess, but don't know how much I will actually use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.