PDA

View Full Version : Free hosting for 3 years

g808
Nov 11, 2003, 02:24 AM
1and1.com (https://order.1and1.com/xml/static/HostingProfessional)

couldn't hurt

edesignuk
Nov 11, 2003, 02:32 AM
there has top be a catch :confused:

edit: only seems to be available for US & Canada for one :mad:

g808
Nov 11, 2003, 02:48 AM
oops, sorry about that. well if you're in the US and Canada it seems alright. the fine print looks ok. the only pain is if you get hooked, and want to transfer hosts after 3 years. that may be a pain, but otherwise seems cool to me. i'm going to try it out.

Flowbee
Nov 11, 2003, 11:04 AM
What the heck, I'll give it a try.

FYI- You don't need to provide a credit card number to sign up, just a valid address, phone number, and email. It's a "pre-launch" promotion, so it's only available for a limited time.

g808
Nov 11, 2003, 11:51 AM
they say it's valid until they launch on 1/15/04, so the promo is good until 1/14/04.

after you sign-up they ask you to "enter a 10-digit phone number where our automated authentication
system will be able to reach you within the next 15 minutes."

kevin49093
Nov 11, 2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by g808
oops, sorry about that. well if you're in the US and Canada it seems alright. the fine print looks ok. the only pain is if you get hooked, and want to transfer hosts after 3 years. that may be a pain, but otherwise seems cool to me. i'm going to try it out.

Does anyone think it is difficult to switch to another company after three years? What does that involve?
My only concern is the price of their service after three years. They say it is from $5 to $29 a month. I wonder what you get for that lower price?

mnkeybsness
Nov 11, 2003, 01:09 PM
this sounds way too good to be true. has anyone ordered this yet? i'm just a little wary to finish filling stuff out.

Flowbee
Nov 11, 2003, 01:39 PM
So far, so good...

I signed up and received the automated phone call. I expected some sort of advertising pitch, but no, it was just a call to give me my pin number. I activated my account, but haven't logged in yet to check out how it works. Maybe this evening, when I have a little time. In any event, I won't be hosting any 'important' websites there until I'm sure the service is reliable.

My guess is that this free trial is akin to a beta program, just to make sure that they have all the kinks worked out before opening their doors to paying customers.

Flowbee
Nov 11, 2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by kevin49093
My only concern is the price of their service after three years. They say it is from $5 to $29 a month. I wonder what you get for that lower price?

In three years, the web hosting business will likely be quite different than it is today. I'd be very surprised if 1and1.com offers the same services and prices in 3 years as they do now.

g808
Nov 11, 2003, 02:15 PM
In any event, I won't be hosting any 'important' websites there until I'm sure the service is reliable.

i agree with this. i'm looking at this as free diskspace. can't expect much for free. just thought i'd try it out and see for fun. i'm going to activate my account and see how it is.

brianellisrules
Nov 11, 2003, 06:56 PM
do you need a domain name for this to work? or can you just use the IP?

g808
Nov 11, 2003, 07:47 PM
do you need a domain name for this to work? or can you just use the IP?

they give you a subdomain to play with if you don't have a domain.
Example: http://s89291836.onlinehome.us/

they do use cryptic usernames (numeric, not alpha) to log into their control panel, ftp accounts, etc. the control panel is a bit slow to me using a broadband connection. also after creating a new FTP account they prepend a cryptic number to the account name, and it says it takes about 30 minutes for the changes to take affect. So apparently it isn't realtime account changes.

i'll keep updating with my findings.

g808
Nov 11, 2003, 07:49 PM
fyi...the changes to my ftp account setting took about 5 minutes.

kevin49093
Nov 11, 2003, 11:20 PM
Thanks for your updates... keep them comming. I'll probably open a new site there for a friend within the week.

Flowbee
Nov 12, 2003, 12:58 AM
Playing around with the Control Panel tonight... and yes, it does seem to respond quite slowly as mentioned above. Not a big deal, though.

Found a FAQ link that I hadn't seen on their homepage:

http://faq.1and1.com/

It should help answer some specific questions you might have.

mnkeybsness
Nov 12, 2003, 09:31 AM
i went ahead and tried it. so far i am not satisfied at all because it took all night to be able to log into my ftp account. the domain that i paid for still does not work even though it says that it is now working.

the control panel is SOOOOO slow. honestly it takes anywhere from 10-60 seconds to load any page. this is the worst thing in a world where time=money.

Flowbee
Nov 12, 2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i went ahead and tried it. so far i am not satisfied at all because it took all night to be able to log into my ftp account. the domain that i paid for still does not work even though it says that it is now working.

If you've set up a specific domain to be hosted on their server, it can take up to 72 hours for DNS change to register. I think this is due to various computers responsible for directing internet traffic around the world needing to receive the uptate. Often times this process takes less than 72 hours, but it's rarely less than 24 hours after you set up the domain.

g808
Nov 12, 2003, 09:53 PM
the control panel is SOOOOO slow. honestly it takes anywhere from 10-60 seconds to load any page. this is the worst thing in a world where time=money.

looks like the control panel is MUCH faster today than it was yesterday. ftp transfer speeds are really good (at least for me using Transmit). i uploaded a photo gallery php script i created for my other site and it worked perfectly. processing and rendering of the html was very fast (using Safari). so far things are looking better speedwise, which was my only grip earlier. we'll see how things progress. i'm just using this as "play" space anyway.

trebblekicked
Nov 12, 2003, 11:31 PM
i just upped with them, too. i registered two new domains, and if all is well a month or two from now, i'll consider transfering my animal club site. everything seems kosher, but like everyone said, the control panel is awful slow and the jury is out on how long it takes to get the domains registered. we'll see.

mnkeybsness
Nov 13, 2003, 09:27 AM
perhaps those of us that signed up should complain to them about the speed of the control panel... i know i'm going to... they need to get feedback since they are just starting this company.

they don't have a specific email for customer relations or something general, so i'm just sending to their info email here (mailto:info@1and1.com)

SilentPanda
Nov 13, 2003, 09:38 AM
perhaps those of us that signed up should complain to them about the speed of the control panel... i know i'm going to... they need to get feedback since they are just starting this company.[/URL]

According to their webpage they've been around for 11 years.

mnkeybsness
Nov 13, 2003, 10:24 AM
ah you are right... from what i understand they've been around for that long, but this web hosting plan they are offering is new... perhaps also their control panel is new?

even if it isn't... it takes WAY to long to get at anything in the control panel.

g808
Nov 13, 2003, 02:44 PM
they don't have a specific email for customer relations or something general, so i'm just sending to their info emailhere

or you can submit feedback or questions via their contact form located in the control panel under the Help and Contact tab. Click "write us an email".

trebblekicked
Nov 13, 2003, 03:38 PM
perhaps those of us that signed up should complain to them about the speed of the control panel... i know i'm going to... they need to get feedback since they are just starting this company.

they don't have a specific email for customer relations or something general, so i'm just sending to their info email here (mailto:info@1and1.com)

i sent a note to them today using the report button in my control panel. did anyone else notice the title for their control panel is in German?

mine reads: "1&1 Konfigurationmenü". how odd.

BTW: all of my domains are ready and accessable now. took about 12 hours for them to get in line.

kevin49093
Nov 16, 2003, 12:21 PM
Has anyone else been able to configure mySQL for their site? I tried, but got a server error. Came back later and got the same thing.

An email to 1and1 hasn't gotten a return yet...

LoopHoles
Nov 20, 2003, 05:01 AM
call me a sucker, but i'd rather pay for hosting.

krossfyter
Dec 7, 2003, 02:45 AM
if im using dot5hosting now and i registered or purchased a domain through them... can i have this domain name redirected so my site can be hosted here?

so let me get this straight here. i sign up before that jan date and i get 3 years of free hosting and i can cancel anytime.... anytime... are we sure? no obligations it says.

how many domain names can one have hosted on thier set up?

trebblekicked
Dec 7, 2003, 03:09 AM
you can have 100 domains pointed to yr webspace.

the deal appears to be legit. looks like it's a european (german) company making an entry into the hosting market stateside. the fine print seems to check out.

i think you can transfer registration or just point yr domain to yr webspace. yr choice.

radhak
Dec 7, 2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter
if im using dot5hosting now and i registered or purchased a domain through them... can i have this domain name redirected so my site can be hosted here?

so let me get this straight here. i sign up before that jan date and i get 3 years of free hosting and i can cancel anytime.... anytime... are we sure? no obligations it says.

how many domain names can one have hosted on thier set up?

i transferred my domain from elsewhere to 1and1 and it went smoothly. there cannot be any obligations, seeing that they don't even take your credit card number, and their terms of conditions don't have any. i have a feeling that if i am able to use them as my host for 3 years without any major problem, i might feel so happy about it that i'd pay to stay later. and thats what they are counting on. ;)

mnkeybsness
Dec 7, 2003, 08:59 PM
1and1 hosting is an affiliate of perfora.net ... they've been around for years and are actually one of the top hosting providers in the world. their servers are located in New York....

they just re-vamped their hosting packages and the only one that you can sign up for at this time is the free service.

i'm actually starting to use their service since i get a lot more disk space.

the only quarrel that i have with them is that the admin control panel runs so incredibly slow for safari. other browsers like mozilla firebird load the pages in a decent time frame... oh yeah... and they won't install Image::Magick because it's "uses too many resources"

brianellisrules
Dec 7, 2003, 09:28 PM
Is there any catch like, "you're now obligated to pay for X years of hosting after these 3 free years run out"??

mnkeybsness
Dec 8, 2003, 12:15 AM
nope...

i actually read through the ENTIRE terms of service contract.

krossfyter
Dec 8, 2003, 01:38 AM
good stff man. thanks for the info.

brianellisrules
Dec 8, 2003, 05:38 AM
nope...

i actually read through the ENTIRE terms of service contract.
wow, you're a better person than I am... I tried and after the first 2-3 sections I started to go nuts. :D

Thanks.

krossfyter
Dec 9, 2003, 01:21 AM
so what do i need from my original hosters to be able to use the same domain name i have on the new host?...redirect or whatever one calls it.

krossfyter
Dec 9, 2003, 02:53 PM
hmmm i just emailed both 1and1 and dot5 and i got an email from dot5 but still havent recieved one from 1and1.

g808
Dec 9, 2003, 04:14 PM
so what do i need from my original hosters to be able to use the same domain name i have on the new host?...redirect or whatever one calls it

all you need to do is change the name servers your domain is currently pointing to, so they point to 1and1's name servers. 1and1 will tell you what those name servers are when you add a domain via their Control Panel.

your domain registrar can do this for you or should have an admin tool to let you do this yourself.

GeeYouEye
Dec 9, 2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ber.com
Is there any catch like, "you're now obligated to pay for X years of hosting after these 3 free years run out"??

That's what I wondered, since it said that fees "will be waived for 36 months"

Flowbee
Dec 9, 2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by ber.com

The service agreement mentions no obligation to continue service after the 3 years are up, as someone noted above. Additionally, they don't take any credit card info from you when you sign up, so they have no way to charge you.

idkew
Dec 9, 2003, 11:16 PM
space.

krossfyter
Dec 10, 2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by g808
all you need to do is change the name servers your domain is currently pointing to, so they point to 1and1's name servers. 1and1 will tell you what those name servers are when you add a domain via their Control Panel.

your domain registrar can do this for you or should have an admin tool to let you do this yourself.

thanks man. i just tried contacting 1and1 and they STILL havent responded. everyone says they respond quickly but they don't with me... i wonder whats goin on.

edesignuk
Dec 11, 2003, 08:46 AM
Just got my 1and1 space setup, domain name(s) still "applying" :) It will be (guess what!?!)...edesignuk.net! :D
I hope to be able to setup phpbb on it, may need some help from some of you php/mysql guys ;)

edit: and BTW, control panel speed is fine for me, no problems heer!

brianellisrules
Dec 11, 2003, 09:12 AM
Do other web servers/hosts use this same control panel? My current server uses cpanelx and that seems a lot better to me - everything is right there. With 1and1.com's control panel, it seems to be a lot of menus and whatnot... not quite as handy.

Also, is it possible to FTP stuff without a domain name setup? I couldn't find anything about an ftp address to get that running.

SilentPanda
Dec 11, 2003, 09:20 AM
I might mention that the day after I signed up for this service I started getting literally 4-5 telemarketer calls per day for about 3 weeks... on my cell phone (the number I registered with). It could totally be a coincidence. About three weeks into it I informed the telemarketer that I was placing a complaint with the FCC as they should not be calling my cell phone and I have not recieved *any* telemarketing calls since. It could be total coincidence but I don't think it is.

mnkeybsness
Dec 11, 2003, 10:17 AM
I haven't received any more than I normally do. Perhaps it is just a coincidence.

SilentPanda
Dec 11, 2003, 10:58 AM
I haven't received any more than I normally do. Perhaps it is just a coincidence.

True... could be.. it's just that I went from literally none to 4 or 5 a day after I gave that company my cell phone number. Seems odd to me... more of an FYI (just in case) instead of a don't use their service... something to possibly be aware of.

Flowbee
Dec 11, 2003, 08:00 PM
I haven't received any telemarketing calls on the phone I used to register. (I registered the day this thread started.)

edesignuk
Dec 12, 2003, 03:31 AM
As I said, I registered the domain name edesignuk.net yesterday, the status says "ready" on 1and1 but I still cannot get to the site via it. How long did it take anyone elses domain names to replicate through out gobal DNS servers?

mnkeybsness
Dec 12, 2003, 09:22 AM
it took mine about 21 hours. i was getting really angry at the wait.

whooleytoo
Dec 12, 2003, 10:12 AM
it took mine about 21 hours. i was getting really angry at the wait.

21 hours isn't that bad, I've seen people having to wait over a week for the new domains to propagate.

edesignuk
Dec 12, 2003, 10:23 AM
yay! it's just started working :D

trebblekicked
Dec 16, 2003, 02:26 PM
anyone played with the website creator yet? it's buggy as south florida. i'm trying to set up a chat room now.

mangoman
Dec 16, 2003, 03:37 PM
I'm skeptical. So I'm looking into www.mediatemple.net as my next host.

filmcutter
Dec 21, 2003, 07:54 PM
it seems that there is a problem with the control panel and Macs. It is horribly slow using any browser on my Mac, yet my partner accessing our control panel from his PC is blazingly fast.

Has anyone been able to get a response from their customer service?

Anyone have a better hosting alternative - best price/features/service combo??

thx

filmcutter
Dec 21, 2003, 08:10 PM
OK, now this is really weird. After posting my comments here, I also sent an email to 1and1 about the slowness.

I then logged into my account again, and now the control panel is acting normally and loads quickly.

Maybe they noticed that I was checking out other hosting services :rolleyes:

very weird...

mangoman
Dec 21, 2003, 08:35 PM
I do appreciate all you guys weighing in on this free service. However, I'm still not getting a good impression of this provider.

GovornorPhatt
Dec 22, 2003, 01:12 PM
The list of features in the package is very impressive. I might finally get to move my site off my earthlink free hosting! But this seems too good to be true. Has anybody had slow ftp, slow site speed, or any other problems that come with free hosting? I'm still not entirely convinced. by their site.

filmcutter
Dec 22, 2003, 01:23 PM
I've returned to having slow control panel problems. Also, I tried uploading a basic page thru GoLive FTP and it shows up on the server, but when I go to it via the browser (any browser) I get a 404 error.

I'm this close to giving up on them.

But free is hard to give up, and I'm not that excited about trying to find another reasonably priced host.

Any suggestions??

edesignuk
Dec 22, 2003, 01:33 PM
Mine is all working perfectly. Control panal is fast, uploading is fast and easy. PHP and MySQL is all working. No complaints here...and I'm across the pond, no where near the servers :confused:

GovornorPhatt
Dec 22, 2003, 02:32 PM
Once in the control panel, where do you go to set up FTP access? I'm not able to find it. I just got Dreamweaver MX 2004 and want to upload my new site.

brianellisrules
Dec 22, 2003, 04:58 PM
Login > "Select Contract" > "Webspace" (from left menu) > "FTP Account" (main window area)

I couldn't figure out how to FTP files until I registered a domain name. After that, I just used ftp.<site>.com and the username and password I setup from the previous menu clicks.

g808
Dec 22, 2003, 05:40 PM
I couldn't figure out how to FTP files until I registered a domain name.

You can use the default URL they give you (ex. http://s1234.onlinehome.us). Just use ftp.s1234.onlinehome.us as the host/sever name in your FTP client. Works fine for me, and the transfer speeds have been great.

As for the control panel speed, it's varied for me but what do you expect for free? In my opinion this a great service considering I pay nothing. I'm not planing on hosting a real site here. I just wanted some free hosting to play around with.

mnkeybsness
Dec 22, 2003, 11:09 PM
RE: control panel speed

I tried a few other browsers with the control panel and found Mozilla Firebird to be the fastest. It really WHOMPS Safari in page display time...

from login screen to contract selection page:
Safari: 46 seconds
Mozilla Firebird: 2 seconds

try for yourself... SAFARI IS SLOW!

littlejim
Jan 6, 2004, 08:52 AM
For what it's worth ...

I've been using one and one in the UK (oneandone.co.uk) for almost three years and I have honestly had no problems with their servers - and one of the sites I've got with them gets thousands of hits per day!

I now host about 10 web sites with them which use PHP, PERL, mySQL etc. I've installed phpBB, awstats and loads of other open source stuff with no problems.

Their control panel DOES work better in Firebird and it can take them ages to reply to email's ... but I've always had a decent experience over the 'phone.

And no ... I've got no connections with one and one - just thought the info might be useful.

iJon
Jan 6, 2004, 03:06 PM
well this is great news and im almost set up. i was going to go through dot5hosting, cause some members recommended them but their service has sucked majorly. i have called them numerous times just to get an indian who barely speaks english.

iJon

iJon
Jan 6, 2004, 04:21 PM
well this is great news and im almost set up. i was going to go through dot5hosting, cause some members recommended them but their service has sucked majorly. i have called them numerous times just to get an indian who barely speaks english.

iJon

Kwyjibo
Jan 8, 2004, 12:52 PM
well now smelkem.com is official hosted by 1and1. After iJon showed me this thread i read thru the tos with my comb ... and didn't see much that would infinge me. I went on the livechat thing with dot5
they repoitned my domain and then i cancelled my dot plan with them. It was pretty painless. As you can all see my site is up and ready for action :). This company doesn't really seem that shady i asked one of my friends and he says they are the same people that back netzero and things so they have stockholders to answer to and things like that. That made me feel secure enough and they don't have much informaiton to really bill me. Also i haven't gotten any increased calls on my cell phone since i used it to register. Good luck to everyone, i'm enjoying the new service i just got all my email addy's up and working after i finished off the reminents of dot5.

GovornorPhatt
Jan 10, 2004, 10:19 AM
It took a few days to be ready, but it works and my site is increddibly faster than my Earthlink host. Even with Quicktime movies! You have to try 1&1! I even have a 100MB mySQL database!

ExoticFish
Jan 15, 2004, 04:56 PM
well it's the 15th and i still got to sign up. i haven't tried anything yet. perhaps i will when i get home later tonight.