Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
oops, sorry about that. well if you're in the US and Canada it seems alright. the fine print looks ok. the only pain is if you get hooked, and want to transfer hosts after 3 years. that may be a pain, but otherwise seems cool to me. i'm going to try it out.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
What the heck, I'll give it a try.

FYI- You don't need to provide a credit card number to sign up, just a valid address, phone number, and email. It's a "pre-launch" promotion, so it's only available for a limited time.

g808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
they say it's valid until they launch on 1/15/04, so the promo is good until 1/14/04.

after you sign-up they ask you to "enter a 10-digit phone number where our automated authentication
system will be able to reach you within the next 15 minutes."

kevin49093

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Originally posted by g808
oops, sorry about that. well if you're in the US and Canada it seems alright. the fine print looks ok. the only pain is if you get hooked, and want to transfer hosts after 3 years. that may be a pain, but otherwise seems cool to me. i'm going to try it out.

Does anyone think it is difficult to switch to another company after three years? What does that involve?
My only concern is the price of their service after three years. They say it is from $5 to $29 a month. I wonder what you get for that lower price?

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
So far, so good...

I signed up and received the automated phone call. I expected some sort of advertising pitch, but no, it was just a call to give me my pin number. I activated my account, but haven't logged in yet to check out how it works. Maybe this evening, when I have a little time. In any event, I won't be hosting any 'important' websites there until I'm sure the service is reliable.

My guess is that this free trial is akin to a beta program, just to make sure that they have all the kinks worked out before opening their doors to paying customers.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by kevin49093
My only concern is the price of their service after three years. They say it is from $5 to $29 a month. I wonder what you get for that lower price?

In three years, the web hosting business will likely be quite different than it is today. I'd be very surprised if 1and1.com offers the same services and prices in 3 years as they do now.

g808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
In any event, I won't be hosting any 'important' websites there until I'm sure the service is reliable.

i agree with this. i'm looking at this as free diskspace. can't expect much for free. just thought i'd try it out and see for fun. i'm going to activate my account and see how it is.

g808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
do you need a domain name for this to work? or can you just use the IP?

they give you a subdomain to play with if you don't have a domain.
Example: http://s89291836.onlinehome.us/

they do use cryptic usernames (numeric, not alpha) to log into their control panel, ftp accounts, etc. the control panel is a bit slow to me using a broadband connection. also after creating a new FTP account they prepend a cryptic number to the account name, and it says it takes about 30 minutes for the changes to take affect. So apparently it isn't realtime account changes.

i'll keep updating with my findings.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Playing around with the Control Panel tonight... and yes, it does seem to respond quite slowly as mentioned above. Not a big deal, though.

Found a FAQ link that I hadn't seen on their homepage:

http://faq.1and1.com/

It should help answer some specific questions you might have.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i went ahead and tried it. so far i am not satisfied at all because it took all night to be able to log into my ftp account. the domain that i paid for still does not work even though it says that it is now working.

the control panel is SOOOOO slow. honestly it takes anywhere from 10-60 seconds to load any page. this is the worst thing in a world where time=money.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i went ahead and tried it. so far i am not satisfied at all because it took all night to be able to log into my ftp account. the domain that i paid for still does not work even though it says that it is now working.

If you've set up a specific domain to be hosted on their server, it can take up to 72 hours for DNS change to register. I think this is due to various computers responsible for directing internet traffic around the world needing to receive the uptate. Often times this process takes less than 72 hours, but it's rarely less than 24 hours after you set up the domain.

g808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
the control panel is SOOOOO slow. honestly it takes anywhere from 10-60 seconds to load any page. this is the worst thing in a world where time=money.

looks like the control panel is MUCH faster today than it was yesterday. ftp transfer speeds are really good (at least for me using Transmit). i uploaded a photo gallery php script i created for my other site and it worked perfectly. processing and rendering of the html was very fast (using Safari). so far things are looking better speedwise, which was my only grip earlier. we'll see how things progress. i'm just using this as "play" space anyway.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
i just upped with them, too. i registered two new domains, and if all is well a month or two from now, i'll consider transfering my animal club site. everything seems kosher, but like everyone said, the control panel is awful slow and the jury is out on how long it takes to get the domains registered. we'll see.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
perhaps those of us that signed up should complain to them about the speed of the control panel... i know i'm going to... they need to get feedback since they are just starting this company.

they don't have a specific email for customer relations or something general, so i'm just sending to their info email here

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
perhaps those of us that signed up should complain to them about the speed of the control panel... i know i'm going to... they need to get feedback since they are just starting this company.[/URL]

According to their webpage they've been around for 11 years.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
ah you are right... from what i understand they've been around for that long, but this web hosting plan they are offering is new... perhaps also their control panel is new?

even if it isn't... it takes WAY to long to get at anything in the control panel.

g808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
they don't have a specific email for customer relations or something general, so i'm just sending to their info emailhere

or you can submit feedback or questions via their contact form located in the control panel under the Help and Contact tab. Click "write us an email".

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
perhaps those of us that signed up should complain to them about the speed of the control panel... i know i'm going to... they need to get feedback since they are just starting this company.

they don't have a specific email for customer relations or something general, so i'm just sending to their info email here

i sent a note to them today using the report button in my control panel. did anyone else notice the title for their control panel is in German?

mine reads: "1&1 Konfigurationmenü". how odd.

BTW: all of my domains are ready and accessable now. took about 12 hours for them to get in line.

kevin49093

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Has anyone else been able to configure mySQL for their site? I tried, but got a server error. Came back later and got the same thing.

An email to 1and1 hasn't gotten a return yet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.