Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
do you have any experience with the XTI? if so, did you find it was predisposed to underexpose a lot of shots?

i have an xti and am thinking of exchanging it for an XSI bc i find so many shots are underexposed (imo). I have read that this may be on purpose bc it is easier to adjust exposure higher in post processing, but that doesnt help me much...

cheers.

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Very nice. Are they all taken with the same lens? I am considering getting the XTi

Thanks. All the pics so far were taken with a 70-300mm IS and the 100mm Macro f2.8. I have noted such on some pics. The EXIF data is there if you download the original pic.

do you have any experience with the XTI? if so, did you find it was predisposed to underexpose a lot of shots?

i have an xti and am thinking of exchanging it for an XSI bc i find so many shots are underexposed (imo). I have read that this may be on purpose bc it is easier to adjust exposure higher in post processing, but that doesnt help me much...

cheers.

This is my first DSLR. I feel it meters pretty well. I look at my histogram on every pic and adjust EC if need be.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Hey, great photos. I'm glad you're enjoying your camera. You seem to really be enjoying that macro lens. ;)

cheers.

Do you know when to use exposure compensation? Sometimes, before I take the shot, I already know that it's going to under or overexpose simply due to what I'm photographing. Lots of white objects, or bright blue sky, can trick a camera.

Very nice. Are they all taken with the same lens? I am considering getting the XTi

If you look at the caption underneath each photo, it doesn't appear to be.

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
I just got a Xsi today and I love it.

You can get 10% off from circuit city if you use the code FUAUTGVAUX.

It is a great camera for the price. I purchased mine from Henrys in Canada last week as I wanted one to take on my trip this weekend. I pay a little more but it was worth it!

Nice pictures, lots of saturation, but I like that , maybe one notch lower;) Bengal cat is gorgeous
Just my 2 cents:D

Thanks. I have been playing around with the adjustments in the picture styles.
to get the right combination.

I am headed to the Cincinnati Zoo/Botanical Garden today and then taking a day long Nature Photography seminar tomorrow. I hope to learn something! ;-)

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Wow, I wish I could take pictures like that. I just bought the XSi today, my first DSLR. I have VERY limited experience with photography. Are you using the Kit Lens that came with the camera, that is 18-55mm IS Canon zoom lens?

Any other important settings you use for the close ups that you did?

I received my XSi last week and have been playing with it. This is a very nice camera. For those that may be interested. Here is the link to my XSi pics. They are labeled as such.

Mark

http://www.flickr.com/photos/galloimages

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Wow, I wish I could take pictures like that. I just bought the XSi today, my first DSLR. I have VERY limited experience with photography. Are you using the Kit Lens that came with the camera, that is 18-55mm IS Canon zoom lens?

Any other important settings you use for the close ups that you did?

The only pic posted taken with the 18-55 IS is the Sunset pic. The Macros are with the Canon 100mm f2.8...while the balance is with the Canon 70-300mm IS. I will be posting more pics very soon.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
seems liek an amazing camera, i just got my XT so i m not even in the market for one, but i would liek to get my hands on one of those just to try it out..

Verist

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
South Florida
I picked up one the other day as well, but from Best Buy with a 10% of coupon from the Postal Service, also used some Reward Zone points, and through June, Reward Zone Points doubled on camera purchases. Jeez, I sound like a Best Buy add.. I'm a complete photo novice. I have really enjoyed the camera so far and took some pictures of my car. I look forward to learning more about the hobby..

http://gallery.mac.com/verist#100008

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
I picked up one the other day as well, but from Best Buy with a 10% of coupon from the Postal Service, also used some Reward Zone points, and through June, Reward Zone Points doubled on camera purchases. Jeez, I sound like a Best Buy add.. I'm a complete photo novice. I have really enjoyed the camera so far and took some pictures of my car. I look forward to learning more about the hobby..

http://gallery.mac.com/verist#100008

Congrats! You will enjoy it.

more pics from last night added to the flickr link in the original post.

A few pics added to my Flickr gallery taken with the "cheap kit lens" 18-55mm IS. One at 18mm and one at 55mm.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/galloimages

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
iPhoto seems not able to import the raw images from my xsi.

I guess I will have to go with .jpg until another update.

Correct. iPhoto does NOT support RAW, never did to my knowledge. Aperture supports RAW BUT Aperture needs to be updated as it does not support XSi RAW yet. I have both iPhoto and Aperture.

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
California
Correct. iPhoto does NOT support RAW, never did to my knowledge. Aperture supports RAW BUT Aperture needs to be updated as it does not support XSi RAW yet. I have both iPhoto and Aperture.

I am pretty sure it does support RAW.

I do not know much about RAW but I know that you could import stuff in RAW and change the exposure and iPhoto would say RAW in the corner.

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
RAW isn't a uniform file format, like psd, tif or jpg, all cameras (that support RAW shooting) has different RAW files (technically each sensor, but lets not go into details), so iPhoto can support RAW but maybe not your camera... is it on the list?

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
RAW isn't a uniform file format, like psd, tif or jpg, all cameras (that support RAW shooting) has different RAW files (technically each sensor, but lets not go into details), so iPhoto can support RAW but maybe not your camera... is it on the list?

Awe.. then that must be the case. Didnt realize that. The XSi is not on the list yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.