PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with a Performa?

sethypoo
Nov 11, 2003, 11:25 PM
Hey everyone, I have a Performa 6360 sitting at home that I'd like to put to use. We bought it back in late 1995, I think it's running OS 7.5. I'm in college, it's back home, so I can't boot it up and see.

Also, does anyone know of the old Oregon Trail game we all used to play in elementary school? Is there a place we could download/buy it?

Powerbook G5
Nov 11, 2003, 11:35 PM
You can download the original Oregon Trail from here (http://mac.the-underdogs.org/). It has all kinds of classic Macintosh games for when you want a retro game fix. Only problem I've noticed is that Oregon Trail leaves my screen looking blurry for a while unless I restart a couple of times for whatever reason.

sethypoo
Nov 11, 2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
You can download the original Oregon Trail from here (http://mac.the-underdogs.org/). It has all kinds of classic Macintosh games for when you want a retro game fix. Only problem I've noticed is that Oregon Trail leaves my screen looking blurry for a while unless I restart a couple of times for whatever reason.

Hmm, thanks, by the way, I love your Avatar.

What's with the 6502, the 68000 and so on in the status line? I totally don't get that.....

Powerbook G5
Nov 11, 2003, 11:47 PM
They are old Apple processor models which are used on these forums as "status" symbols designating how much we post. You start as a newbie, then move up to member, then regular, and so on as you reach a certain number of posts. They really don't mean anything at all besides an ego boosting pissing contest. ;)

sethypoo
Nov 12, 2003, 12:39 AM
What's the order to them?
When do I get an avatar? 500 posts?
How can eventually become a moderator, just be extra helpful and a long time member?
Where's a good place to look for avatars?

I know this is off topic, but hey, it's my thread!

Powerbook G5
Nov 12, 2003, 12:46 AM
I have no clue how you become a moderator and I don't remember how many posts to get an avatar but I believe it is 500. I am not sure where you'd find an avatar, I just made mine like I am sure most people do. You could ask someone who has more artistic ability to make one for you, too, if you need help. That's about all I know on the subject.

sethypoo
Nov 12, 2003, 12:51 AM
All right!

Well, enough said off topic, so anyone know or have any ideas as to what I could do with that Performa 6360?

Powerbook G5
Nov 12, 2003, 12:57 AM
You could play classic games on it, set it up as a file server/firewall, turn it into an aquarium, try to upgrade it, try to sell it, or just keep it as a part of your collection to add to the decor of your room. Besides that, I am not sure. My first Mac was a PowerBook G3 I got in 1999 so I am not too familiar with the older stuff from Apple.

sethypoo
Nov 12, 2003, 12:58 AM
Where could I go to get more info on how to set it up as a firewall/file server?

Powerbook G5
Nov 12, 2003, 01:03 AM
Try doing a search on here, asking someone else on this forum, or read a book at Barnes and Noble on it (that helps a lot for me). I am not too up to speed on networking beyond simple setup, so I am not sure what you'll have to do.

sethypoo
Nov 12, 2003, 01:19 AM
Try doing a search on here, asking someone else on this forum, or read a book at Barnes and Noble on it (that helps a lot for me). I am not too up to speed on networking beyond simple setup, so I am not sure what you'll have to do.

Ok, that's what I've been doing lately.

I'm going to Borders tomorrow.

I was just being lazy, hoping people would flock to the thread like flies to a windows recylce bin.

Heh heh heh.....:rolleyes:

sethypoo
Nov 12, 2003, 11:12 AM
So, does anyone reading this thread have any info on how I can turn my Performa 6360 into a file server or a firewall? I don't think the hard drive is that big.....what could I do?

Spock
Nov 13, 2003, 04:15 PM
The 6360 has IDE so You can replace the aging Hard Disk BUT You do not have PCi Slots so adding more than one ethernet card for a firewall is going to be hard and unless you have more older macs a file server would be pointless. I have a 6400/200 I use it to check my E-mail and play classic games The 6360 is the same logic board as the 6400 minus the PCI slots.

alset
Nov 13, 2003, 04:36 PM
I think you can find a build of Linux that will crunch numbers pretty well on that machine. I don't really know anything about it, but someone once told me I could run Linux on and old LC and turn it into a web server. I just didn't want to put the research into it. I really should....

Dan

edit: this should get you started

Google: Linux Mac Performa (http://www.google.com/search?q=Linux+Mac+Performa&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

edit 2: you got me thinking about my old 7200 and now i'm making a linux server out of it. here's a link for YDL

Yellow Dog Linux (ftp://phyppro1.phy.bnl.gov/pub/YellowDog/iso/yellowdog-3.0-sirius-20030325-install3.iso)

also, Debian 2.1 will run on 68k machines

applemacdude
Nov 16, 2003, 12:58 AM
THE 6360 does have a pci slot. don't run 9 on it its slow, run 8.6 if you can but 7.6.1 is ok. put more ram in it. (max 128), that things runs older games great and itll be a good mp3 server or a file server. I have no idea how to set it up as firewall....

Nermal
Dec 2, 2003, 10:30 PM
They are old Apple processor models which are used on these forums as "status" symbols designating how much we post. You start as a newbie, then move up to member, then regular, and so on as you reach a certain number of posts. They really don't mean anything at all besides an ego boosting pissing contest. ;)

I'm just amazed that you managed to clock up over 2500 posts in just 6 months :eek:

bousozoku
Dec 2, 2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
What's the order to them?
When do I get an avatar? 500 posts?
How can eventually become a moderator, just be extra helpful and a long time member?
Where's a good place to look for avatars?

I know this is off topic, but hey, it's my thread!

Don't fight with the demi-gods. :D That will help.

You should load Linux on the thing or you could do what I've done with my old Performa--put it in the other room with stuff stacked on top of it. :eek:

sethypoo
Dec 3, 2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Don't fight with the demi-gods. :D That will help.

I am not afraid of demi-gods. You just have more posts, that doesn't make you better than me or anyone else on this site.

I wasn't fighting, to set the record straight,

I have a right to my opinion, IMHO, lol.

Ooook, let's let that horse die.

bousozoku
Dec 3, 2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
I am not afraid of demi-gods. You just have more posts, that doesn't make you better than me or anyone else on this site.

I wasn't fighting, to set the record straight,

I have a right to my opinion, IMHO, lol.

Ooook, let's let that horse die.

Actually, for $20, you too could be a demi-god. It has nothing to do with post count. ;)

You didn't like my idea about stacking stuff on that Performa? It looks really, ummm, nice.

vannote
Dec 3, 2003, 11:38 PM
There is Sonnet Crescendo/L2 Upgrade that will turn your 160MHz PowerPC into a G3 at 400MHz. for $200, or 500MHz for $250.

You can then Max out the RAM and (as previously mentioned) drop your favorite Linux distro on it.

Should be more than capable for file/print serving if not only for novelty.

Tulsaboyw
Oct 24, 2005, 11:38 AM
If the mac is suffienctly old enough as it is in the case of my 6400.

Its much better to go buy mac than to upgrade the 6400.
And at least locally for me, its actually cheaper.

For me any & all upgdades are toward a goal of having os10.3x (10.4 really) at a minimum........anything less is a waste of my time & money.
10.4 is a rqmt for my client support that I do.

Due to that, the remaining goal is to 'network the mac' on my home net as a linux box. And prefereably only linux though currently its os922 & linux both.

If I could I would wipe my current setup and go 100% linux.

It comes down to costs for me.
I will likely buy a good enough mac to get 10.4 and be done with the need to upgrade...

When that happens this old 6400 will be either scrapped or fully linux'd.
Unlike most computer users, I dont bother keeping ancient equipment around unless there is a chance of collectable value..

Ie; I kept my old Apple I until I sold it for megabucks to a museum.
I sold it for 100 times what I paid for it too.

I also had a old "PET" turned into a fish tank.

Never do I keep old pc's or other (though I might keep the cards,etc..)

I never understand why somebody bothers keeping a dead pc (dead in capability or hardware) around collecting dust.
I for one dont have the space to do that.

topgunn
Oct 24, 2005, 12:15 PM
I am sure that the original poster will be very excited to see that you have posted your very informed opinion to aid in his situation...2 YEARS LATER!

Patmian212
Oct 24, 2005, 12:43 PM
HAHAHAH I just noticed, how random yet deliciously halarious:rolleyes: Damn now I'm hungry.

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 01:12 PM
I am sure that the original poster will be very excited to see that you have posted your very informed opinion to aid in his situation...2 YEARS LATER!

Better late than never. :)

That said, If I had an old performa; I would install Doom 3. :D ;)

Lord Blackadder
Oct 24, 2005, 01:21 PM
Better late than never. :)

That said, If I had an old performa; I would install Doom 3. :D ;)

I don't think it would performa well, I'd stick to Doom 2, since even my old Quadra 610 could handle that OK.

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 01:26 PM
I don't think it would performa well,

Ha, good one. :D

I'd stick to Doom 2, since even my old Quadra 610 could handle that OK.

Well, at least its Doom. :)

Tulsaboyw
Oct 27, 2005, 07:19 AM
Whatever.
I wasnt paying attention to the posting date.

But then what I said was still relevant.

Besides, my post was more of a statement of my hopes/plans anyway.
And it was for new mac people Ive brought into the macworld, more so than the original poster.

MacNut
Oct 27, 2005, 11:36 AM
Performa's make great paper weights or door stops. No other real use for them anymore.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 27, 2005, 12:05 PM
Perhaps play catch with a performa? since paperweight is taken;)

Raid
Oct 27, 2005, 12:14 PM
I actualy rescued a Performa 6320 CD recently and I'm currently setting it up as a kiddie computer for my 4 and 3 year old nieces ...well and my 11 month old nephew when he learns the mouse is not for eating! ;)

If my sister-in law doesn't want the computer I can wipe the drive, install 9.2 on it and give it to the Toronto Public Library. I hear they will either use it or donate it where it can be put to good use.

Just because it isn't bleeding edge doesn't mean it's not usefull. Heck I was using one 6 years ago for school.

BTW anybody know of some classic education games for the Kindergarden to 3rd grade crowd? I've only got a few and I'm looking for some more freeware.

Tulsaboyw
Oct 31, 2005, 09:20 PM
true enough about leading edge,but:

One of my primary computers is even older than the 6400/180 (by two years).

Yet it is 100% current except for mhz.
Its gone from 32meg to 784meg ram.
From 40gig to two 250gig HD's.
Upgraded video card... with dual monitor options.
From Win98 to XP/Linux dual boot.

JUST because a computer is old, doesnt mean it shouldnt be upgradable.

But also, just because its ancient doesnt mean it can be used.

I still have a very old cpm-based dual processor that is now running linux.
And it was actually even more updatable than the 6400/180.

Dane D.
Nov 5, 2005, 08:37 AM
Performa's make great paper weights or door stops. No other real use for them anymore.

It's this mentality that pisses me off. I'm one who doesn't buy computers every 6 months. I like the old computers, in their day it was leading edge. My kids as soon as they could sit up were in front the Performas listed in my sig. They withstood hard key pounding, constant use and still work. Plus their relatively quiet compared to some dual PPC units I've been around. I'm always looking at garage sales, schools and flea markets for a usable Macintosh no matter what vintage. Besides when was the last time anyone used a vintage PC? Now that is a paperweight. :D

Dopeyman
Nov 14, 2005, 08:37 PM
It's this mentality that pisses me off. I'm one who doesn't buy computers every 6 months. I like the old computers, in their day it was leading edge. My kids as soon as they could sit up were in front the Performas listed in my sig. They withstood hard key pounding, constant use and still work. Plus their relatively quiet compared to some dual PPC units I've been around. I'm always looking at garage sales, schools and flea markets for a usable Macintosh no matter what vintage. Besides when was the last time anyone used a vintage PC? Now that is a paperweight. :D

Well... with that said.... You wanna buy my fully loaded Performa 6360??

Coheebuzz
Nov 15, 2005, 09:28 AM

I will have to agree with Dane D. I have a Performa 630, the one with the remote and the tv tuner which i only use it to play Hellcats once every six months. Thats only because i find it hard to adjust after working with the G5, but i am the one who has changed, not the machine. I have greater expectations now and the performa is still the same machine, with the same performance as the day i bought it. Why do people have the idea that a computer slows with time as cars do?
An uncle of mine uses his Performa 475 for organising his financial stuff with Filemaker and it does the job 100% well. His kids use KidPix on it and the original KidPix is a reason alone to keep an old mac around ;).
Heck, give me a 1000 old macs and i can find a special use for each one of them! (i'll invite the town and organise a Hellcats tournament!) :D

Will Cheyney
Nov 15, 2005, 11:28 AM
I too have an old Performa 5200. It refuses to accept Mac OS 8 though. It gets 98% of the way through installation and then errors.
Vague I know, but anyone know why this might be?

jadekitty24
Nov 19, 2005, 08:42 PM
Hey man, I just spent an hour on the Oregon Trail game (mentioned earlier in the thread...about 2 years ago). What a classic!! Brought back SO many memories...
*sigh*