Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mvaj92

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Hi, just got a macbook on April 6th, and ive been noticing gltching when trying to play world of warcraft. It shows colored lines and boxes in random places each time i play, and the screen flickers occasionally.

On another note, the Bar at the very top of the screen, (the name escapes me), was moved about 1 inch to the right, along with everything else with it. It wouldn't correct itself until i restarted the computer. Thought these two problems might be related.

Does anyone have any ideas that might help? any help is appreciated.

PIC-
ifyeyv.png

Slothapotamus

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
UK
I'd say it was probably because the of the shared graphics in the MacBook. The MacBook wasn't really designed as a gaming machine. It gets its graphics memory from the main RAM rather than having an independent graphics card (which the MacBook Pro has). If you bought the lowest end MacBook (with 1GB RAM) then you really should bump it up to 2GB (preferably 4GB). Warcraft should play better with higher RAM. But ultimately, if you wanted a gaming machine, you should have gone for a MacBook Pro.

mvaj92

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I dont know, ive heard of people being able to run it w/o problems. It's not a game that takes a lot of requirements to run, or at least i think. I also thought heat may be an issue...

I looked at iStat while running, it said that CPU A was running at 81 Degrees, with the fan spinning at 4000 rpm.

TygerMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
New Hampshire
Make sure your graphics settings are turned down as low as they can go. Make sure you uncheck all of the buttons at the bottom of the graphics windows (ie, glow effect, death effect, etc) With everything turned down as low as it can go you should be running the game fine. Which MacBook do you have?

mvaj92

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I dont think turning down the settings helped, and my comp is a 2.0 ghz w/ 1 gb of ram

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
I don't play the game myself, but it seems to me that a sophisticated game like that would really benefit from maxing out your RAM. I'd do that first thing and then see how it runs. RAM is so cheap now that using the maximum is not that costly. Let us know if that helps you out.

Mick

TygerMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
New Hampshire
Then it's because you only have 1GB of RAM, as others have said the MacBook isn't really a gaming machine, I can run WoW no problem with the 2GB RAM. Just make sure all your settings and resolution are down to the lowest settings, plus try playing in windowed mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.