PDA

View Full Version : How to convert DRM-protected WMA files

Brianstorm91
Apr 18, 2008, 09:39 AM
I just bought a new album described on the site to be in an "easy to use, open format", so I went ahead, bought, and promptly ended up with a load of DRM-protected WMA files.
I can't convert them, to the best of my knowledge, as only WMA files without DRM can be.

Does anybody know what I can do? I've a nasty feeling that my claim for a refund shalln't be accepted.

:mad:

oban14
Apr 18, 2008, 09:58 AM
This is why I refuse to buy anything from iTMS or frankly anything digital with DRM whatsoever.

You have access to windows? Try this:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/25/fairuse4wm-strips-windows-media-drm/
http://www.dvd-tool.com/remove-drm/wma.html

You can always go the lossy route and simply record the tracks as they're playing and re-rip them.

Good luck, DRM sucks.

Brianstorm91
Apr 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks, I'll try that out in a bit.
It's only £3 or so but my gosh DRM irritates me.
That and Windows Media Player 10 for mac…

Brianstorm91
Apr 18, 2008, 03:25 PM
Well the second link doesn't work, what it doesn't tell you is that the trial version only converts the first 60 seconds (and also I couldn't get the right codec on windows media player because apparently it doesn't exist).

Let's try link 1.

I. Hate. Windows.

:mad:

Brianstorm91
Apr 18, 2008, 03:42 PM
Link 1's a no as well.
Looks like that's the end of that then.
:o

MALCX
Apr 12, 2011, 10:59 AM
[I have spent at least 6 hours fruitlessly trying to download programs and convert my protected wma files. I had a cd and copied it to my pc(:mad:) in this stupid wma format, then lost said cd! Now I want to listen to my dear cd on my :apple:(s) (which I always use) but not in this one, mistaken, action.]
THE only way is on a PC!:mad: to burn a music cd and then import it into iTunes, ha long lesson! M:p

blevins321
Apr 12, 2011, 02:54 PM
This is why I refuse to buy anything from iTMS or frankly anything digital with DRM whatsoever.

You do know that all iTunes music is DRM-free, right? TV Shows and Movies are still protected, but music not anymore :)