PDA

View Full Version : Current Mac Mini Discontinued: CONFIRMED

MacSA
Apr 23, 2008, 10:12 AM
The Mac Mini seems to have disappeared from a lot of UK shops that did sell them. It's no longer on the PC World website or John Lewis. I emailed John Lewis, a major supplier of Apple in the UK regarding the availability of the Mini. Here is the response I received.

Dear Mr ****,

Thank you for your email regarding the Apple mac mini desktop computer.

I can confirm that I have contacted our buying office who have confirmed that the Apple mac mini desktop computer (product code: 82702306) has been discontinued.

They have confirmed that there are others in stock which will be available for order from the Website soon.

We trust this information will be of use to you. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate in contacting us on the telephone number below.

The 82702306 product code refers to the 2ghz SuperDrive version. Now, they also say that they have others in stock which should be available on the website, so whether that refers to the 1.8ghz ComboDrive version, i'm not sure.

CWallace
Apr 23, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hopefully this means a new Mac Mini will be on the docket for the near future.

sushi
Apr 23, 2008, 10:15 AM
Agree.

My bet is that new ones will be released soon and the current inventory is being closed out.

Clive At Five
Apr 23, 2008, 10:23 AM

One can pray...

tjohanne
Apr 23, 2008, 10:33 AM
One can pray...

Yeah, I just wonder for how long we'll have to pray. I'm getting a bit fed up of waiting, to be honest... :(

Petoz
Apr 23, 2008, 10:51 AM
I'm getting a bit fed up of waiting, to be honest... :(

Isn't everyone?! I'll keep on praying though.

jeremy.king
Apr 23, 2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I just wonder for how long we'll have to pray. I'm getting a bit fed up of waiting, to be honest... :(

waiting for what? If you need one now, buy one now.

Le Big Mac
Apr 23, 2008, 11:13 AM
waiting for what? If you need one now, buy one now.

And we're within 10 days of next Tuesday, so don't open and return as is if they have a faster one.

snberk103
Apr 23, 2008, 01:16 PM
And we're within 10 days of next Tuesday, so don't open and return as is if they have a faster one.

Aren't we always within 6 days of next tuesday? :rolleyes: :)

Mythrid12
Apr 23, 2008, 02:31 PM
I've been thinking about getting a mac mini for a while now and I've decided today is the day. I'm going to order one... but now that I'm reading this I'm afraid they will release the new one right after I get it.

Should I wait? Or should I keep good care of it and just exchange if a new one is released?

(buying from Best Buy because I have a credit card there and my local best buy has a mini mac store. the return policy is 30 days)

What do you guys/gals think?

ValinS
Apr 23, 2008, 04:39 PM
C2D Penryn maybe 2.0 & 2.4, Hopefully X4500 HDMI/DVI output 2Gb RAM standard. And 5400RPM 250GB drive. Hopefully this will come and I can hook it up to the bravia for some media center heaven.

Personally I would wait Best Buy returns policies are dodgy at best.

Gordy
Apr 23, 2008, 04:43 PM
Apple never tell people they supply to info like this added to the fact that they are 24hrs shipping on the UK store website I'm skeptical.

youthcyber
Apr 23, 2008, 09:21 PM
I'm sure that will release the new Mac Mini. Although the market for Mac Mini is small, I would assume they do not want lost the market for low end user like me who want to try out mac desktop before purchasing higher end mac pro.

Mythrid12
Apr 23, 2008, 10:06 PM
C2D Penryn maybe 2.0 & 2.4, Hopefully X4500 HDMI/DVI output 2Gb RAM standard. And 5400RPM 250GB drive. Hopefully this will come and I can hook it up to the bravia for some media center heaven.

Personally I would wait Best Buy returns policies are dodgy at best.

Yeah that sounds really good. Turns out they are sold out anyways... also online. For the lower end model anyways... I worked at the Best Buy I would be buying from so the return wouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully this Tues will be a good day! :P

Shen Long
Apr 24, 2008, 01:09 AM
Not sure if this makes any difference howver you can still purchase mac-mini in Australia. Dont want to burst anyone's bubble.

Chundles
Apr 24, 2008, 01:15 AM
Hey hang on a sec, the Mac mini part numbers start with MB138 and MB139.

As of a couple of hours ago both models were in stock in channel.

timestoby
Apr 24, 2008, 01:23 AM
how can you say confirmed,its just a department store that was selling the minis.that likes sayn you got the info from a jcpenny in the states lol and pcworld online are still selling the minis along with other onlines stores. unless you ment john lewis is stopt selling the current cause of the newer versions coming out.

would be nice if they did come with the x4500 and 2gb standard,then id get that instead of a macbook

fuzzy76
Apr 24, 2008, 02:26 AM
I can semi-confirm this. Here in Tromsų a new Apple reseller opened 28th march. I ordered the smallest Mac Mini on the opening day (they had a $200 rebate on all Macs), but I am still waiting for it to be delivered.

The store informed me that the entire stock order for Mac Minis for the store had been placed "on hold" by Apple with no further explanation as to why. And the only situations they had experienced this earlier was when new models was on the way. :)

Luckily they still accepted my order with the rebated price, so I'm just waiting for the delivery of my upgraded Mac Mini now.

MacSA
Apr 24, 2008, 02:55 AM
how can you say confirmed,its just a department store that was selling the minis.that likes sayn you got the info from a jcpenny in the states lol and pcworld online are still selling the minis along with other onlines stores. unless you ment john lewis is stopt selling the current cause of the newer versions coming out.

would be nice if they did come with the x4500 and 2gb standard,then id get that instead of a macbook

The person who responded to my email contacted the buying office who confirmed that the 2ghz Mini had been discontinued.

email them yourself and see what they say. http://www.johnlewis.com/

MacMuppet
Apr 25, 2008, 08:47 AM
The person who responded to my email contacted the buying office who confirmed that the 2ghz Mini had been discontinued.

email them yourself and see what they say. http://www.johnlewis.com/

Don't know if anything should be read into this
but they have no 2.4ghz/24" iMacs left on their
website either. Updates very soon?

iknowyourider
Apr 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
I can semi-confirm this. Here in Tromsų a new Apple reseller opened 28th march. I ordered the smallest Mac Mini on the opening day (they had a $200 rebate on all Macs), but I am still waiting for it to be delivered.

The store informed me that the entire stock order for Mac Minis for the store had been placed "on hold" by Apple with no further explanation as to why. And the only situations they had experienced this earlier was when new models was on the way. :)

Luckily they still accepted my order with the rebated price, so I'm just waiting for the delivery of my upgraded Mac Mini now.

Fuzzy, That would be totally sweet if you get one way better than you thought for the best price ever.

Cheffy Dave
Apr 25, 2008, 09:11 AM
I've been thinking about getting a mac mini for a while now and I've decided today is the day. I'm going to order one... but now that I'm reading this I'm afraid they will release the new one right after I get it.

Should I wait? Or should I keep good care of it and just exchange if a new one is released?

(buying from Best Buy because I have a credit card there and my local best buy has a mini mac store. the return policy is 30 days)

What do you guys/gals think?

why don't you just wait, and save yourself and the sales people the aggravation. I mean if they are on commission, they get their commission,then it's taken away in the next check because of the return, etc

Mythrid12
Apr 25, 2008, 10:00 AM
Best buy is non-commision. I wouldn't do that to people who were. I wouldn't be doing a return either... just an exchange so even if they were commision it wouldn't take any money from them.

I'll probably wait until tuesday and if no news is out on the mini's I'll just go buy one.

Also I would like to say I talked to my friend who still works at best buy and there are new iMacs in best buy's inventory. New skus and all. So we should expect those soon. As for minis... no news as of yet.

CWallace
Apr 25, 2008, 10:33 AM
Well now we're hearing rumors that a new iMac ships on Tueday, so perhaps a new Mac Mini is coming, as well, though since both would precede Montevina and therefore continue to use current systemboards, only the CPU speed and HDD capacity would change.

willcodejavafor
Apr 25, 2008, 11:01 AM
Well now we're hearing rumors that a new iMac ships on Tueday, so perhaps a new Mac Mini is coming, as well, though since both would precede Montevina and therefore continue to use current systemboards, only the CPU speed and HDD capacity would change.

That would be horrible but it is likely :(

ADent
Apr 25, 2008, 11:26 AM
It may be discontinued at all those places, but the (US) Apple Store will sell you one.

cube
Apr 25, 2008, 11:30 AM
Kill it and make a real computer, finally.

rfruth
Apr 25, 2008, 12:02 PM
Come on Apple, an honest-to-goodness low cost Mac :)

akm3
Apr 25, 2008, 12:40 PM
The mini is awesome (AWESOME) for HTPC. I hope they don't kill it. However with the obvious push towards AppleTV being that (imperfect but very good) solution, I don't see a reason for Mini to fit into Apple's line up anymore.

That is very sad because I wouldn't have gotten into or tried Mac if it wasn't for the mini.

gkarris
Apr 25, 2008, 01:36 PM
Supposedly the processors are no longer (going to be?) available from Intel...

New versions? :p

amac4me
Apr 25, 2008, 02:31 PM
The last time the Mac mini was updated it occurred on the same day the iMac was updated (August 2007). I think there's a good chance that Apple will release updates to both the iMac and Mac mini on the same date in the near future.

Tallest Skil
Apr 25, 2008, 02:48 PM
It may be discontinued at all those places, but the (US) Apple Store will sell you one.

They don't sell us iSights anymore, and those were only banned by the EU.

MacSA
Apr 28, 2008, 05:36 AM
The store is down... hopefuly new Mini's to go along with iMacs

yoyo5280
Apr 28, 2008, 05:38 AM
If they kill it , that would really suk. I don't have the money for anyother macs

phatspider
Apr 28, 2008, 06:21 AM
The store is down... hopefuly new Mini's to go along with iMacs

Would be grand :)

But we've had no leaked product nujmbers for Mini - just iMac :(

MacSA
Apr 28, 2008, 07:44 AM
argggggggghhh :mad:

i still cant believe Apple are still flogging that POS Mini at that price.

macenforcer
Apr 28, 2008, 08:08 AM
argggggggghhh :mad:

i still cant believe Apple are still flogging that POS Mini at that price.

I know. The mac min is like 3 generations OLD. Time to drop price or release a new one. I want mac mini but am not a sucker.

ralnar
Apr 28, 2008, 09:21 AM
Prices for the Minis were dropped in the Swedish store by around 10% (from 5495 SEK to 4995 SEK on the low end), probably a currency adjustment as the dollar to SEK ratio has changed dramatically.
However, this makes you think: why adjust price today if there is an update around the corner? Unless there isnt one... :eek:

Edit: Also, if there really is an update, a guess is that the price point is the same in USD. It wouldn't make sense to lower the SEK price today and raise it tomorrow.

MacSA
Apr 28, 2008, 09:29 AM
Prices for the Minis were dropped in the Swedish store by around 10% (from 5495 SEK to 4995 SEK on the low end), probably a currency adjustment as the dollar to SEK ratio has changed dramatically.
However, this makes you think: why adjust price today if there is an update around the corner? Unless there isnt one... :eek:

No price adjustment here in the UK, it really is outrageous to be selling technology that old at that kind of price.

Cave Man
Apr 28, 2008, 09:56 AM
No price adjustment here in the UK, it really is outrageous to be selling technology that old at that kind of price.

If the market allows such a price, Apple will charge it. It's really that simple. Also explains their profit margins from last week...

fuzzy76
Apr 28, 2008, 01:51 PM
An update from me... My Mac Mini arrived today, of all days... The old smallest model. I still think I got an incredible versatile and nice Mac, though. I just hope there won't be an update tomorrow or next week.

ADent
Apr 28, 2008, 02:09 PM
So you guys in the UK, where the Mac mini was CONFIRMED to be discontinued, what is the plan?

No low end stand alone model or a special UK only upgraded Mac mini?

MacSA
Apr 28, 2008, 02:44 PM
So you guys in the UK, where the Mac mini was CONFIRMED to be discontinued, what is the plan?

No low end stand alone model or a special UK only upgraded Mac mini?

I'll probably be buying a Dell

bluedoggiant
Apr 28, 2008, 03:21 PM
They are still in the Online Apple Store.

I'll probably be buying a Dell

I cant tell if your joking

aafuss1
Apr 28, 2008, 08:36 PM
The last time the Mac mini was updated it occurred on the same day the iMac was updated (August 2007). I think there's a good chance that Apple will release updates to both the iMac and Mac mini on the same date in the near future.

Not this time around-only the iMac was updated.

Perhaps Apple will update the minis at a later date.

Zygon Gambit
Apr 29, 2008, 01:56 AM
Not this time around-only the iMac was updated.

Perhaps Apple will update the minis at a later date.
Well, it certainly won't be an earlier one!

My theory with Apple is that they like to update the most expensive machines first, encouraging people to 'break' and buy a more expensive machine than they intended. That's what they're doing with the Mini - the tempting route is the MacBook or low-end iMac, and they want you to get one of those instead.

It seems likely to me that the Mac Mini will be upgraded (a bit) within the next two weeks, but I wouldn't put it past Apple to drag it out another month or so.

Chundles
Apr 29, 2008, 02:02 AM
No price change in the mini here. The iMacs dropped from between $100 to $250 dollars but no change on the mini.

MacSA
Apr 29, 2008, 02:24 AM
Apple need to cut £100 - £150 off the price of the Mini to make it a reasonable buy. It's OBSCENELY overpriced right now, from Dell I can buy a Quad core Core 2 with Keyboard and mouse for £40 less than the ComboDrive Mini.

Gee4orce
Apr 29, 2008, 03:28 AM
The Mini is a incredibly well engineered quality piece of kit. The Dell you're talking about, well ... isn't.

I've had my Mini (home upgraded) for a couple of years and it's still a fantastic machine. Incredibly quiet, and surprisingly fast too. Does it need an update ? Yes, indeed. Is it somehow not a great piece of kit because it's a bit long in the tooth ? Not at all.

Here's hoping for a proper mid-range Mac to replace it though. Did you notice that the iMac was updated on a MONDAY (almost unique as far as I can remember), leaving TUESDAY clear for the new Mini... :)

ralnar
Apr 29, 2008, 05:00 AM
Just realized that the Mini price cut in the Swedish store is not symmetrical:

1.83: New price 4995 SEK (500 SEK price cut from 5495 SEK)
2.0: New price 6895 SEK (400 SEK price cut from 7295 SEK)

A bit odd that they cut the price more on the cheapest set? Maybe an acknowledgement that it is an outdated piece of HW. Or the new price points for an coming update. Or both? Well, this is Macrumors

batistuta
Apr 29, 2008, 06:33 AM
Well, here in Denmark the price reduction on the Mini is as follows:

1,83: 4499 -> 3999 (~11%)
2,0: 5999 -> 5399 (10%)

So the base mini is exactly half the price of the base iMac.
And yes, the dollar has tumbled vs the Euro lately, but this is the only Apple product to receive a price cut so far. I guess the iMacs, MB and MBPs are seeing good sales with the current pricing :(

ralnar
Apr 29, 2008, 06:58 AM
Well, here in Denmark the price reduction on the Mini is as follows:

1,83: 4499 -> 3999 (~11%)
2,0: 5999 -> 5399 (10%)

So the base mini is exactly half the price of the base iMac.
And yes, the dollar has tumbled vs the Euro lately, but this is the only Apple product to receive a price cut so far. I guess the iMacs, MB and MBPs are seeing good sales with the current pricing :(
Converting DKK to SEK the Swedish and Danish prices seem to be in line now for both models.

Sesshi
Apr 29, 2008, 07:20 AM
I have a feeling that with Apple's going for the tail end of any trend with the Mini with all of it's iterations, I doubt it'll feature any adaptation of Intel's 'Flying Creek'. It's more likely to feature an X3100/3500.

The Mini is a incredibly well engineered quality piece of kit. The Dell you're talking about, well ... isn't.

The Dell XPS 420 is $999 with 3Gb of RAM and a Core 2 Quad vs $899 for a 2Gb 2Ghz Mini. Powerwise, no contest - it's not just got two more cores but is a proper desktop. Noisewise, as far as it's under-desk performance goes it's definitely audible but hardly worse than a Mini being given a workout, at least not for me. Build quality? Sure - the single-sheet-metal access panel doesn't feel as substantial as the Pro but it's well engineered, and more importantly everything is properly cooled, unlike the Apples. It may not be as well designed for looks, but in terms of engineering there are no problems.

It's more configurable, has more upgrade paths and therefore a better future, and has far, far better HTPC-aligned and general entertainment possibilities. With both to hand, I certainly know which I'd go for if I had to choose.

fuzzy76
Apr 29, 2008, 07:52 AM
The Dell XPS 420 is $999 with 3Gb of RAM and a Core 2 Quad vs $899 for a 2Gb 2Ghz Mini. ...

How on earth can you compare a 2268 cubic inch 31 pound Dell XPS to a 84.5 cubic inch 3 pound Mac Mini? Seriously, I fail to see how these two would appeal to the same market under any circumstances... Good luck fitting that Dell inside your existing TV bench for HTPC use. :rolleyes:

Sesshi
Apr 29, 2008, 08:11 AM
My Silverstone-case-based HTPC is about the same size, maybe thinner, but horizontal. It fits in an A/V rack space.

I would say that if you're even slightly serious about HTPC duties you're going to need to move up from what the Mini offers.

Zygon Gambit
Apr 29, 2008, 08:18 AM
What's HTPC?

And I would certainly be tempted by the dell, if it were not for the Operating System and iLife. That's what I'm paying for, nothing else.

Bubba Satori
Apr 29, 2008, 08:36 AM
I dreamt about a new mini last night. It was aluminium and slightly bigger. When I went to touch it, the side panel slowly lowered and the mobo chasis slid out, glowing a faint blue. Cool. I saw a Penryn quad core cpu and an ATI 3870-X2 video card, 1TB HD and 4-2GB sticks of 6400 Mhz DDR3 memory before the chasis slid back into the case. It was dark suddenly and I couldn't see anything when I heard a faint spinning noise and a dim blue light illuminating the other side of the mini. I saw the letters Blu-ray, and truly, I was amazed. As I looked around, the back of the softly glistening mini I saw e-sata, HDMI, FW3200 and USB 3 ports galore. To the side of the mini was a sign. $999 it said.

I heard a voice behind me as I was reaching to pick up the faboolous mini and take it home. I woke up screaming as Britney Spears rolled over next to me in bed and asked me to take off her staight jacket. :eek:

Cave Man
Apr 29, 2008, 08:54 AM
What's HTPC?

Home theater PC.

Cave Man
Apr 29, 2008, 08:55 AM
I would say that if you're even slightly serious about HTPC duties you're going to need to move up from what the Mini offers.

Hardware-wise, the Mini's just about perfect. The biggest limitation is the software.

Zygon Gambit
Apr 29, 2008, 09:13 AM
Home theater PC.
Thanks. Not what I want from a Mini.

Of course, what I want is a iMac without the screen. But as we all know, that 'ain't gonna happen!

Cave Man
Apr 29, 2008, 09:16 AM
What do you want from a Mini?

Zygon Gambit
Apr 29, 2008, 09:56 AM
What do you want from a Mini?
Assuming no mid-range 'headless' iMac, from a Mini I just want a 2.4Ghz speed, max 4GB RAM, not awful graphics card system with a 250GB hard drive.

Best of all: if the RAM and Hard Drive could be user-replaceable like they are in a Mac Book.