Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
...look-wise. I finally got a chance to see a Mac Mini in person, and it looked kind of ugly...It looked really cheaply made, like it was all made out of plastic (I believe the top was, maybe the sides, too?). It was a 1st generation, though, to be fair..Do the Mac Minis look better now than they did originally? This one belonged to our computer guy at school and he bought it only to use iTunes on, because he won't use iTunes in Windows :confused: Anyways, just sharing my thoughts. Feel free to delete this if it's heretical :p

Edit: I should clarify..It didn't look like a high-quality plastic, like the Macbooks, it looked like it was some plastic you'd make like a burger king toy out of.

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
It is in deed made of brushed aluminum and quite beautiful I might add. I know zig is a regular here but it sure seems like a troll. His sig implies he that he has a plastic computer.:)

Mythrid12

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2008
Quote from Apple.com
"More Mac per square inch.
Inside its petite 2-inch-tall, 6.5-inch-square anodized aluminum enclosure..."

So, no it's not plastic. Maybe the older one is... I wouldn't know I've never seen an older mini.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
Quote from Apple.com

So, no it's not plastic. Maybe the older one is... I wouldn't know I've never seen an older mini.

The mac mini has never had a design change, the mini we know now is the mini we had when they first released it.

Some speculate that the next big update will give it a new look.. maybe. of course they may just swap to white plastic to black, and say 'lol, matches imac now'

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Quote from Apple.com

Oh, I just realized, maybe he was talking about the old G4 Cube?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4_Cube
That indeed was made out of plastic, and looked pretty bad. but it was a beautiful design.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I would have to say that the mini is made of pretty high grade mats I have taken mine apart like 5 times and it's pretty heavy duty aluminum like 1/16" thick prob. Has some nice weight to it too as far as the outer casing goes.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I would have to say that the mini is made of pretty high grade mats I have taken mine apart like 5 times and it's pretty heavy duty aluminum like 1/16" thick prob. Has some nice weight to it too as far as the outer casing goes.

Now if Apple would just stuff it with an update, the inners would match the beauty of the outers:D

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
No, I'm not trolling...The Mac Mini is fine, it's just look-wise, I didn't find it to be quite that great looking. I also said it looked like plastic, not it was..the top definitely was, but I was just wondering whether it had gotten a design change. Like I said, it was one of the original ones, but, to be fair to it, it was really scuffed up, so that might've had an impact on my thoughts. Maybe if I saw one newer...Anyways, wasn't trying to troll, just saying it was less than up to my expectations...

Also, I know I have a plastic computer, I was saying it just looked kind of cheap to me. Not trolling, just saying..

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
No, I'm not trolling... but I was just wondering whether it had gotten a design change.

Did they ever release iMacs in any other colors besides that weird bondi blue?
I'd check on apple.com, but I thought it would be easier to post here and ask you guys.:rolleyes:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'm just coming to come out at say it.

If you can't remember what parts of it were made with plastic, then you really shouldn't comment on the way the plastic looks.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
All right, well, sorry for offending everybody. Mods can close this thread now.

Edit reply into this post so I don't up my post count with an unneeded post: Thanks :) People should know by now I'm not here to flame..I love my Macbook :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.