Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
i just dont think thats possible...

think about it, the internet was created so that there really is no limit, because its created by the people, kinda.

i'm not an internet expert, but since the price of servers are dropping, and storage space is increasing, you could just go out and buy a huge amount of space for really cheap.

and i've read articles somewhere, that some scientists are trying to create internet 2.0, but i dont think that will happen, and it seems ridiculous.

point in case, internet will be here forever.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the internet is such a dynamic place that claiming these things is a bit ridiculous.

80% of all usage will be video? doubtful unless thats the delivery method for TV by that time, which it won't.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

think about it, the internet was created so that there really is no limit, because its created by the people, kinda.

i'm not an internet expert, but since the price of servers are dropping, and storage space is increasing, you could just go out and buy a huge amount of space for really cheap.

and i've read articles somewhere, that some scientists are trying to create internet 2.0, but i dont think that will happen, and it seems ridiculous.

storage and content aren't an issue. that will be there, and continually growing, yes.

the problem is with the bandwidth and infrastructure in place to deliver that content.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL

Storage space I don't think is the problem, I think he's referring to the lines that carry the data across the country/world. These will reach their capacity.

Edit: beat me to it, PlaceofDis

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
from what i know the speed of fiver optics are only growing, and i know for a fact that they can reach up to speeds of 400 mb/s, its just the hardware that can't handle it, and they will eventually fix that.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
from what i know the speed of fiver optics are only growing, and i know for a fact that they can reach up to speeds of 400 mb/s, its just the hardware that can't handle it, and they will eventually fix that.

It's not so much that, it's the limitation of the number of addresses which can be assigned, as well as the issue of actually implementing the hardware.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

yes, fiber optics would be great. the problem, though, is getting it laid out and running throughout the whole country since it requires new lines.

this is actually a very real problem in the US where broadbrand speeds are slower than most everywhere else, which i think is due in part to how spread out we are and just how much line is actually needed to run.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
As long as there's pr0n, the internet will find a way to survive.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sounds to me that since it will take $55billion to upgrade the infrastructure that they will try to start putting taxes on the internet. There has been talk for some time on how to tax ppl for surfing the web.

Another way for big corporate to get more money.

Peace:cool:

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
Sounds to me that since it will take $55billion to upgrade the infrastructure that they will try to start putting taxes on the internet. There has been talk for some time on how to tax ppl for surfing the web.

Another way for big corporate to get more money.

Peace:cool:

it would be impossible, there would be so many flaws

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.