PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5, 3GB Ram is running super slow and memory usage is almost maxed!

BigMac77
Apr 27, 2008, 09:27 PM
I recently bought a Power Mac G5 with 3 20" cinema displays, each with their own video card. I've since stopped using one and it sped up some. But even with the most simple tasks, it is hella slow and freezes sometimes. If I just have Firefox and iTunes open, it runs slow and the fans kick in overdrive. The main video card is an ATI Radeon x800 with 256 RAM and the other is a 9200 with 128 RAM. Does anyone have any ideas on how to free up my RAM and speed it up?

zap2
Apr 27, 2008, 09:28 PM
Have you restarted recently?

I'd try that first !

BigMac77
Apr 28, 2008, 01:22 AM
Yeah, tried that. I think I'm just going to have to format it. I noticed the guy that had it before downloaded quite a bit.

Firefly2002
Apr 28, 2008, 09:25 AM
It might be spotlight doing its thing. Especially if software was recently installed, leave it alone for a few hours and see how its doing. Actually, go to the activity manager and see if it's not spotlight taking up all the RAM... and if it's not that, see what is.

If it's spotlight, reinstalling will only start over the process.

BigMac77
Apr 29, 2008, 09:15 PM
It's not spotlight. Part of the problem was the two 1GB sticks weren't in good, so it was running on 1 GB. It's a little faster now, but not as fast as it should be. Also, the audio drops out when several things are running at the same time.

BigMac77
May 8, 2008, 03:52 AM
I figured out that I only get these problems with both monitors running. If I unhook one, it runs fine. Any ideas? More memory perhaps?