PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G4-did I kill it?

MacSkagit
Apr 28, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hi,
Was trying to set up an older (730GHz) G4 tower. It was running fine, but I wanted to put it on my wireless net, so I put in an Airport card, the original type is what fits. After installing it, the computer would not start up. Took it back out and it started fine.
Thinking I'd fool the computer, I did a very stupid thing-installed the card again while the computer was running. Now it won't start with or without the card. The startup button lights as long as I'm holding it, and the fan makes about 1/4 turn, but that's it. Took out the battery, card, pressed the kudo switch, left it unplugged overnight--all to no avail.
So, have I toasted the motherboard, or can anyone suggest something else to try?
And, can anyone shed light on why the Airport card would keep it from starting in the first place?
TIA,
MacSkagit

Firefly2002
Apr 28, 2008, 04:17 PM
I'm... moderately surprised you weren't electrocuted. Why would you do that?

Yes, it sounds like you've definitely destroyed your motherboard. Probably just the circuitry around the airport slot, but it looks like that might be enough. The computer shouldn't even be plugged in while you remove anything. *Sighs* The old Beige desktops wouldn't even let you open them while they were plugged in, as the cord blocked opening the case. I guess they did away with that with the B&W G3, but they obviously shouldn't have.

I'm kind of at a loss for words.

MacSkagit
Apr 28, 2008, 04:40 PM
Yes, I admit it was silly. However, I just got it running again by holding down the kudo while pressing the startup button. Amazing! OK, I won't try that again.

So, now back to the original problem--why doesn't it like the Airport Card? Is there more than one model, and if so, is there a wrong one for this machine?
This one says APN:630-2883. And of course the tower is 733MHz, not GHz.
Anyone?
...MacSkagit

vanmacguy
Apr 28, 2008, 04:43 PM
Damn! Sorry to hear that.

I did an almost identical thing to a lovely G$ tower too. Except my MB blew because of a Video card.

I have identical symptoms to you, power button lights while it's pressed, fans turn a bit, but then stop.

I was going to use mine as a kick-a$$ file server too. There goes that $600 I dropped on E-Bay.

Cheers.

Nermal
Apr 28, 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm... moderately surprised you weren't electrocuted. Why would you do that?

The motherboard only runs at 12 volts (I think), you can't get electrocuted from that :)

MacSkagit
Apr 28, 2008, 11:33 PM
Not really worried about electrocution.:eek: Just can't figure why the box runs fine, then when I plug in the Airport card, it won't start. Broken card, maybe? What?? It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm stuck. Any ideas? :confused:
...MacSkagit :apple:

MacSkagit
Apr 28, 2008, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE=vanmacguy;5372729]Damn! Sorry to hear that.

"I have identical symptoms to you, power button lights while it's pressed, fans turn a bit, but then stop."

Hey, take that card back out and try my fix--press the kudo keep it down, then the startup button. Of course the door has to be open to do that. That might at least give you the satisfaction that the box and CPU are still functional if it works for you.

Then you can try other video boards. Need one?

Good luck,
...MacSkagit :apple:

Firefly2002
Apr 28, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yes, I admit it was silly. However, I just got it running again by holding down the kudo while pressing the startup button. Amazing! OK, I won't try that again.

So, now back to the original problem--why doesn't it like the Airport Card? Is there more than one model, and if so, is there a wrong one for this machine?
This one says APN:630-2883. And of course the tower is 733MHz, not GHz.
Anyone?
...MacSkagit

That's good. I was about to suggest dismantling the whole thing and putting it back together to release any charge in any circuits like CUDA (it's not kudo), PRAM, etc.

Lol, my first intention was to reply that if you'd OC'd it to 730 GHz, then yeah, it was fried and I was surprised you hadn't melted a hole through your desk down to China. Then I saw what a stupid thing you did and forgot. LOL.

I don't know why. It might have to do with the Open Firmware. Maybe you're not seating it correctly. Try looking up instructions online.

he motherboard only runs at 12 volts (I think), you can't get electrocuted from that

Lol, I know you can't, I was being facetious.