PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates as Morpheus? Steve Ballmer as Neo?

MacRumors
Nov 17, 2003, 09:15 PM
Silicon.com (http://www.silicon.com/hardware/pdas/0,39024643,39116928,00.htm) reports on Bill Gates' keynote speech at this years Comdex.

The highlight of the speech, however, appears to be a Matrix Spoof (http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_18-11-2003_pg9_11) with Bill Gates as Morpheus and Steve Ballmer as Neo.

http://www.macrumors.com/downloads/pills.jpg

ďTake the Big Blue pill and this story ends,Ē Gates says to Ballmer, referring to a pivotal scene in the movie and also to IBMís nickname, ďAnd armies of consultants are running around the IT world. Take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland.Ē

More images available at msmobiles.com (http://msmobiles.com/news.php/1652.html)

dho
Nov 17, 2003, 09:19 PM
BS

go away Bill

Wash!!
Nov 17, 2003, 09:22 PM
They can't even get that right.... god bill gates really sucks he wants to be soooo cool but he nver will...:D

arn
Nov 17, 2003, 09:25 PM
it was pretty well done

Image from: http://www.tabletpctalk.com/pictures/comdex2003billg2.shtml (slow)

techne
Nov 17, 2003, 09:28 PM
can't wait to heard about the next troyan/virus causing havoc and ruining windozeheads endless fields: "red pill virus".. hehehe

eromitlab
Nov 17, 2003, 09:29 PM
it sucked. it was in poor taste. it isn't even close to being accurate.

This is one nerd that obviously spent way too much time in front of an old CRT... he's just plain retarded, his brain has been fried.

Ballmer... well he's just an escaped circus geek. He was never smart to begin with.

JereIC
Nov 17, 2003, 09:31 PM
What do you bet this was produced on a Mac?

vwcruisn
Nov 17, 2003, 09:32 PM
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame :rolleyes:

leet1
Nov 17, 2003, 09:33 PM
Oh come on yall, this is pretty funny looking. I want to see the video lol :D

dho
Nov 17, 2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by JereIC
What do you bet this was produced on a Mac?

shhhhh

ryan
Nov 17, 2003, 09:34 PM
Say what you will about Bill and MS (and believe, me I'm no fan) but their spoofs have typically been pretty funny. The VW, "dah, dah, dah" one in particular was a lot of fun to watch.

arn
Nov 17, 2003, 09:36 PM
You guys remember the Volkswagen commercial that they spoofed a whileback? The "Da da da..." one?

arn

mohaukachi
Nov 17, 2003, 09:37 PM
BLAH! bill gates is a waste of my life

MrMacMan
Nov 17, 2003, 09:39 PM
YYOOOUUUU SSUUCCKK BIILL!

Can't you understand Open Source Has A Place!

Linux and other Free OS will always have a backing.

And IBM (also a major supplyer of Windows computers) should be parodied.

You want to lose IBM's Desktops?

Way to go.

Anyway doesn't Neo take the Pill that leads him to the Matrix... and um the whole thing.

But in this they stay in MS land... and wham. Stay in their pittiful perfection.

Tell me when a video comes... SAD

ZildjianKX
Nov 17, 2003, 09:39 PM
I love it how you guys rate everything negative if anything to do with Apple's competition is mentioned, lol.

I'd like to see Steve Jobs do that :)

gwuMACaddict
Nov 17, 2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by eromitlab

This is one nerd that obviously spent way too much time in front of an old CRT...

hahaha!

agreed

Photorun
Nov 17, 2003, 09:40 PM
If Gates was Morpheus and Ballmer Neo god the world would have been screwed. I mean, can you picture any of those pasty loser geeks dodging a punch or a bullet? They wouldn't have mad it out of the first first movie, let alone a sequel.

And as far as what they're saying, all BS! I can give you horror stories, MAJOR data loss disaster horror stories regarding M$ and they're totally crappy, not secure, very weak server system on even weaker hardware. Conversely I can rattle off nothing but success stories regarding IBM and Linux. M$/Bill/Ballmer are just scared, and should be, their incredibly sucktacular product has a very real contender in IBM/Linux.

G4scott
Nov 17, 2003, 09:44 PM
OK, in the matrix, morpheus and neo were on the side of the under-dogs. The small guy. They represented more of an 'open source', command line, techno, geek, hacker persona. Microsoft represents the Matrix... As much as they'd like it to be, Microsoft is the bad guy here... Yet another example of Microsoft trying to blind millions with it's ad campaigns...

IBM should release an add. "The Matrix has you", and then flash a microsoft logo...

deejemon
Nov 17, 2003, 09:44 PM

avus
Nov 17, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
I love it how you guys rate everything negative if anything to do with Apple's competition is mentioned, lol.

No, we can honestly tell an uber-geeks' desperate attempt at being perceived as "cool" (and they fail miserably) when we see one, that's all.

Edited: spelling

MrMacMan
Nov 17, 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by arn
You guys remember the Volkswagen commercial that they spoofed a whileback? The "Da da da..." one?

arn

No... I don't remember.

I remember that they had a iPod and VW Beetle ad... but never a spoof, can you link us?

punter
Nov 17, 2003, 09:54 PM
wonderland indeed.

cesar
Nov 17, 2003, 09:54 PM
Steve Jobs should be Morpheus and Ellen Feiss should be Neo or Trinity !! :D

superfunkomatic
Nov 17, 2003, 09:56 PM
typical MS crappola. don't they have a single original idea - "oh, bill let's capitalize on the popularity of this new matrix movie thingy- the kids will eat this up".

oh yeah, and the mention of a search function for documents, the harddrive and email -hmmm, sounds like a function from 10.2 from a about 1.5 years ago - the search function. doi!

crappy software imitating/parodying a crappy overrated movie. striking similarities though - slick production, candy shell and very little substance - they are a perfect match.

is it hot in here, oh just the flames from those about to defend the matrix as a zen-like apocalyptic experience - bunk.

cesar
Nov 17, 2003, 09:59 PM
anyone got a mirror with the movie?

I want to see the movie...!!!!!

ITR 81
Nov 17, 2003, 10:01 PM
Hmm if I recalled in the Matrix they did not use any OS like MS but it did look like a version of Linux or Unix.

In Matrix Reloaded they actually used command line commands when Trinity tries to hack the sys.

If the red pill means being in MS wonderland then I take the big blue pill any day and just chop it up!

mustang_dvs
Nov 17, 2003, 10:03 PM
Actually, this "take the red pill" business is rather ironic...

Remember, in "The Matrix," the red pill was a traceroute program which allowed Morpheus and crew to exploit a security vulnerability and perform a denial of service attack against Neo's connection to the matrix.

rjwill246
Nov 17, 2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by deejemon
That could very well be the most lame-a$$ parody I've ever heard of. Microsoft and Bill aside, parodies only work if they're actually funny.

Did you ever nail that one! This example is sort of an incestuous humour where you have to be "in" to be "in"-- if you catch my drift. Bill and Ball-mer would be a good name for a sit-com but, by its very nature, it could not possibly be funny except in a melodramatic "Windoze sucks" sort of way. And that overly used statement is not really funny, nor is it entirey accurate, as the verb, in this case, could be quite positive. Still, only Windows paramours would get the humour and all the rest of us would be left shaking our heads in utter disbelief that so-called humans had reached such a level of cognitive impairment and pseudo-empathy --lower than any of our primate predecessors could have ever imagined.

stoid
Nov 17, 2003, 10:06 PM
Microsoft and the Matrix, hmmm... I made a post about that last week...

I'll be back...

*searches high and low*

ahhh yes here he is :D

The thread... (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47248)

and Mr. Funk-o-matic, just because you didn't understand or appreciate the immense symbolism and have no respect for religion, don't bash the Matrix. But let's PLEASE not turn this into a thread of "I like the Matrix"/"It blew" I'm tired of that cheap whinny bull-****. It's a ****ing movie, either you liked it or you didn't, so what!

Abstract
Nov 17, 2003, 10:07 PM
This give "Kill Bill" a whole new meaning.... :mad:

Originally posted by techne
can't wait to heard about the next troyan/virus causing havoc and ruining windozeheads endless fields: "red pill virus".. hehehe

Yeah, "maybe" the next big virus should be named the "Red Pill", or maybe, "Big Blue Pill". But hopefully that won't happen. *wink wink*

Note: If the Matrix ran on a MS product, it would have crashed long ago, and the Architect would have been some poor, overworked IT techie. ;)

cesar
Nov 17, 2003, 10:08 PM
if you see pic http://images.tabletpctalk.com/pictures/comdex2003/billgkey/01280044%20(Small).JPG there are some big macs :D

stoid
Nov 17, 2003, 10:09 PM
The "Mr. Smith" would be the best. It writes itself over every file in your drive turning them into copies of itself.

mustang_dvs
Nov 17, 2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Hmm if I recalled in the Matrix they did not use any OS like MS but it did look like a version of Linux or Unix.

In Matrix Reloaded they actually used command line commands when Trinity tries to hack the sys.

The command line environment in the matrix is, in fact *NIX, but which flavor is unknown. The hack Trinity performs is real. She uses Nmap version 2.54BETA25 to find a vulnerable SSH server, and then proceeds to exploit it using the SSH1 CRC32 vulnerability (http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-2001-12.html), which was discovered in November 2001.

SlowX
Nov 17, 2003, 10:14 PM
Developers, developers...
(repeat)

HA!

mustang_dvs
Nov 17, 2003, 10:21 PM
How utterly lame:

http://images.tabletpctalk.com/pictures/comdex2003/billgkey/IMG_0787%20(Small).JPG

Give it up for MEEEEEE!!!!
(Dance Monkey Boy, Dance!) (http://www.ntk.net/ballmer/mirrors.html)

techne
Nov 17, 2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
Yeah, "maybe" the next big virus should be named the "Red Pill", or maybe, "Big Blue Pill". But hopefully that won't happen.

Sure. With at least a malware item (virus, troyan, exploit, etc.) surfacing almost weekly in Winderland, that won't never happen. Sorry to disturb your sleep but that (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/index.html) had happened since a long time ago, buddy.

DDMaKeeg
Nov 17, 2003, 10:25 PM
Yeah great comparison:
Matrix- 6 months between sequels
Windows- 5 maybe 6 years between sequels (er, upgrades)

Yea I see the resemblance.
Go Away Bill!

idea_hamster
Nov 17, 2003, 10:30 PM
The chumps at MS can't even figure out one original thing.

[100% apolitical]
And Bill Gates revelling in the Matrix fantasy is a bit like how Western society adopted the moniker of "capitalism" even though that was coined by Marx as a derisive term.
[/100% apolitical]

Tux Kapono
Nov 17, 2003, 10:32 PM
Is it any coincidence that Microsoft is trying to be as 'cool' as The Matrix at the same time the third movie is flopping so bad they're already talking about sending it to DVD? (See below) They may as well do a mock video of "Who Let the Dogs Out" while they're at it. Nothing's more pitiful then watching fundamentally uncool people trying to be cool, especially when what they think is cool has become a joke for anything but.

According to FilmForce sources, The Matrix Revolutions may be released to DVD earlier than expected. If the reports are true then we could possibly see a release before this Christmas.

Worried that the time to make money from the franchise may be running out faster than expected, representatives for Warner Home Video contacted some of the major video retailers and rental outlets on Monday to let them know that Revolutions may be coming home a lot sooner than expected. Early January was mentioned but if the box office continues to drop at its current pace, Matrix Revolutions could hit DVD before Christmas.

Adding insult to injury, a possibility was mentioned to one video dealer that the studio may try putting together a 3-movie boxed set for Christmas if Revolutions is released in time to show up in your holiday stocking. According to one video dealer that spoke to IGN FilmForce on condition of anonymity, "Warners is afraid that Revolutions won't sell very well because of the word of mouth on the movie. The only way to make the money on sell-through is to package it with the other two." The retailer went on to say that the number of requests for the film have dropped significantly since the film's opening day.

~Shard~
Nov 17, 2003, 10:40 PM
LOL - you have got to be kidding me... :D :) :D

dombi
Nov 17, 2003, 10:41 PM
OMG!

That is so original!
Wow!
Bill is the man (of bunch of loosers)!

:P

From Win to Mac
Nov 17, 2003, 10:54 PM
for Microsoft.

I'm a student in Software Engineering and almost no one is using Server 2003 or any high-end Microsoft products for their work (Ya, some Computer Engineering people actually have to set up complete networks with about 500 computers as "homework").

And the development we Software people do is on Linux, or using jGrasp. Of course, it's all tested on Visual Studio before deployment...
I don't know too much about it though, since we do most of our work on paper and on drawing boards ( for flow charts and class lists )... After all, we're engineers.
Any programming or Computer Science students in these forums ?? What do you guys use ??

And "nobody" in our generation (if you're 20 or younger hehe) is not knowledgable in computers. I think times will get rougher by the year for Microsoft, since more and more people will be able to use something else.

Marble
Nov 17, 2003, 11:01 PM
I can't wait to see a parody of the pardoy (ala Steve Ballmer). I feel there is something terribly, terribly pathetic in this. Something that makes me feel very dirty. Ugh.
Maybe if what they were saying made sense, or made me look at things differently - but gosh Bill, you're calling the kettle black.

stoid
Nov 17, 2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by From Win to Mac

Any programming or Computer Science students in these forums ?? What do you guys use ??

I am an Interactive Digital Media - Computer Science concentration here at Northwest Missouri State University, "The electronic campus since 1987" and we have 2500 Gateways POS boxes bought in 2001, and like 4 macs in the video department. It seems to me that Windows is a shriveling dying breed. Like it was a great thing and the only option, but now it's just a shell and we use it only because that's what we have and that's what the business world is clinging to. I think that the only sinking ship today is MS. However they are so bloated that they have a great deal of bouancy (sp?) and it'll be quite awhile before they go down, but I have not heard any tales of "latest and greatest" anything from the Windows world. They seem to be a stagnant giant with no forward energy left, coasting on years of dominance until they collapse from the inside.

SlowX
Nov 17, 2003, 11:05 PM
http://www.macboy.com/cartoons/ballmer/index.html

HA!

stoid
Nov 17, 2003, 11:17 PM
I always pictured Steve Ballmer as a good fill in for that monkey in 2001: A Space Odyssey. You know the one at the beginning with the music blaring smashing a skeleton with a bone. Yeah, the monkey is Ballmer, the bone is MS, and the skeleton are smaller companies.

Trowaman
Nov 17, 2003, 11:23 PM
As though the computing world needed anymore proof that Bill Gates is the king of nerds.

Remember Apple owns the integration of movies and computers but even though you will never see Steve Jobs dressed as a 2' tall muppet with a lightsaber. This is more sad than anything.

BTW, they keep mentioning the Microsoft smart phone, where's apple going with the iPhone? We copyrighted that name, didn't we?

deejemon
Nov 17, 2003, 11:23 PM

hokka
Nov 17, 2003, 11:34 PM
These ramblin' fits the whole situ' very well, now I'm laughing so hard I need airrrrr

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=matrix3

and

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=matrix2

(I hope you all have some sarcastic humour)

;)

Phatpat
Nov 17, 2003, 11:34 PM
haven't seen it yet? you better get on that :) Personally, I liked it. But the general consensus seems to be that it wasn't worth the time, much less the money.

Gabriel
Nov 17, 2003, 11:40 PM
This is really funny, just in a sad and ironic sort of way.

If anybody in the computer industry is imprisoning our minds while they turn us into their tools its Microsoft. The fact that Gates and Balmer would have the chutzpah to paint themselves as subversives fighting the machine and looking out for the fate of humanity is just sad.

However, this does say something very interesting about Microsoft. First rule of marketing, if you're competitor is trying to steal marketshare away from you you don't make them look like a serious threat and make yourself look like you're scared, especially in front of thousands of your customers and the rest of the industry. Either Gates, Ballmer & co. are just absurdly arrogant, which will hopefully lead to their downfall, or they really are desperate and do see themselves losing to Linux.

Very Interesting.

leet1
Nov 17, 2003, 11:45 PM
Dang! yall are getting into this waaaaaaaay too much. Its just a freaking parody, for ****s and giggles. lol

SeaFox
Nov 17, 2003, 11:59 PM
Why, what's wrong with Revolutions? I haven't seen it yet (so don't spoil it for me), but I thought it was described as having a very satisfying ending.

No exactly the opposite. The ending was very dissatisfying. We're all built up for this final battle and conclusion during the last two movies and it all gets screwed up.

I never really got the Neo-Smith thing. Shouldn't Smith have been thankful to Neo for freeing him from the Matrix?

Ja Di ksw
Nov 18, 2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by cesar

That would be hysterical! I can completely see Ellen saying "whoa" with her pothead voice after Morpheus (Steve) jumps over the building.

SeaFox
Nov 18, 2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Gabriel
This is really funny, just in a sad and ironic sort of way.

If anybody in the computer industry is imprisoning our minds while they turn us into their tools its Microsoft. The fact that Gates and Balmer would have the chutzpah to paint themselves as subversives fighting the machine and looking out for the fate of humanity is just sad.

Maybe that's why Bill isn't a geek. He obviously never went to see the Matrix (or is too stupid to understand it) and doesn't realize that his company is the Matrix and simply doesn't fit into the movie any other way.

I'm gonna go see if this is on Slashdot. I wanna see what the Linux heads had to say about it. :D

SeaFox
Nov 18, 2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
That would be hysterical! I can completely see Ellen saying "whoa" with her pothead voice after Morpheus (Steve) jumps over the building.

and then when she realizes she's "the One" during the fight with the agents she'll go "beep bop beep beep" and make them self-distruct! :D

chewbaccapits
Nov 18, 2003, 12:14 AM
Why is this in the front page of the news?

LethalWolfe
Nov 18, 2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by DDMaKeeg
Yeah great comparison:
Matrix- 6 months between sequels
Windows- 5 maybe 6 years between sequels (er, upgrades)

Yea I see the resemblance.
Go Away Bill!

Well, it was a lot longer than 6 months between The Matrix, and Reloaded, and Revolutions wasn't a sequal to Reloaded but the 2nd half of a single story. So yer anti-MS out lash kinda falls flat. ;)

Lethal

etoiles
Nov 18, 2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Abstract
This give "Kill Bill" a whole new meaning....

LOL, Steve Jobs wearing a blonde wig, cutting off arms and legs off M$ agents, and then at the end of the first episode shortening Ballmer by a few inches.

Now THAT would be something.

stoid
Nov 18, 2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Well, it was a lot longer than 6 months between The Matrix, and Reloaded, and Revolutions wasn't a sequal to Reloaded but the 2nd half of a single story. So yer anti-MS out lash kinda falls flat. ;)

Lethal

Actually May to November... 6 months

and I would consider the service pack to be a continuation of the same ****ty story...

so it look like your attempt to prop up that flaming pile of dog **** (a.k.a. MS) has fallen even flatter. Sorry. :eek:

tYNS
Nov 18, 2003, 12:38 AM
This is a little off topic, but I just discovered today an easter egg in VirtualPC 6.

You can bring up a picture of (I assume) the develop(nerd)s.

Put in the VPC6 disk. let it mount.. then double click to open the VPC disk.. This should open in a new finder window.
It will have the big picture made out of icons of a PC with 3 windows screens inside the finder window..

If you double click on the Icon piece that makes up the green XP start button of the front foremost Windows screen it will open a picture of the developers.

nifty.

LimeiBook86
Nov 18, 2003, 12:57 AM
Ok I got mad and then I laughed because the screenshots I saw made this movie look very cheesy. This is what you didn't see behind the scences!! Enjoy!

http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/gates_matrix.jpg

:p

Wombatronic
Nov 18, 2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by stoid
Actually May to November... 6 months

and I would consider the service pack to be a continuation of the same ****ty story...

so it look like your attempt to prop up that flaming pile of dog **** (a.k.a. MS) has fallen even flatter. Sorry. :eek:

And flattest of them all:

your parsing of the nice L. Wolfe's post :)

The second comma should not exist, and once it is removed the post becomes inarguably accurate.

cheers, though

faustofernos
Nov 18, 2003, 01:02 AM
Um, the Wachowski brothers HATE Microsoft. They are big time MAC lovers...

I need to ask a personal friend, but those guys do NOT like Bill Gates, or what M$ represents. They either got paid a TON of money (they hardly made anything from the first Matrix film) or they are going to be suing M$ for using their stuff.

IT will be very funny if a big settlement comes out of this.

AmigoMac
Nov 18, 2003, 01:03 AM
No way... Should that be humor? Should that impress the crowd?... "Take the blue one, and you'll be fired" "Take the red one and you will stay as CEO a bit longer"

Pretty embarrassing...:( :o :mad: :confused:

:) :D :p

MorganX
Nov 18, 2003, 01:07 AM
>>When you're having a go at something as monumental as The Matrix, it's going to have to be brilliant or you're better off just not doing it. <<

You mean like the two sequels? Yeah, brilliant is the word I was looking for.

MorganX
Nov 18, 2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by faustofernos

I need to ask a personal friend, but those guys do NOT like Bill Gates, or what M$ represents.

That would be the same Wachowski brothers that released Reloaded and Revolutions this year. Rushing them out, destroying the story, to cash in on DVD sales?

Excuse me while I go puke.

stoid
Nov 18, 2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Wombatronic
And flattest of them all:

your parsing of the nice L. Wolfe's post :)

The second comma should not exist, and once it is removed the post becomes inarguably accurate.

cheers, though

Ahh yes. When people completely misuse punctuation and sentence structure (no offense Mr. Wolfe) the meanings become a bit confused.

Originally posted by Wombatronic
Well, it was a lot longer than 6 months between The Matrix, and Reloaded, and Revolutions wasn't a sequal to Reloaded but the 2nd half of a single story. So yer anti-MS out lash kinda falls flat.

My translation based on closest approximation of punctuation.

Well, it was a lot longer than 6 months between The Matrix (Original) and Reloaded. Revolutions wasn't a sequel but the second half of a single story. So your statement bashing Microsoft has no bearing.

This translation also actually makes sense, however it does not support his claim. I would agree that Microsoft has been releasing new versions more frequently than the 5-6 years as stated by DDMaKeeg, so I am thinking that this whole train of thought is utterly flawed from it's conception and should be altogether dropped. If a moderator feels so I think they would be completely justified in wiping all record of this conversation out of existence entirely.

zync
Nov 18, 2003, 01:37 AM
That could very well be the most lame-a$$ parody I've ever heard of. Microsoft and Bill aside, parodies only work if they're actually funny.

When you're having a go at something as monumental as The Matrix, it's going to have to be brilliant or you're better off just not doing it. About the only parody I've seen recently that actually worked was Jack Black and Sarah Michelle Gellar's performances in a take-off of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.

And computer jokes are just really not funny; even in a room full of computer geeks, they have a sad pathetic quality, coupled with a dismal realization that very few people outside the room would understand the (so-called) joke, and those who didn't wouldn't care enough to have it explained to them.

I know this is probably like ten pages too late and someone else has probably said it already but check out Justin Timberlake, Sean William Scott, and Will Ferrell on the Reloaded DVD :D oh and that "Wanda at large" lady....where did that show come from BTW? It was so left field...

stoid
Nov 18, 2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by zync
I know this is probably like ten pages too late and someone else has probably said it already but check out Justin Timberlake, Sean William Scott, and Will Ferrell on the Reloaded DVD :D oh and that "Wanda at large" lady....where did that show come from BTW? It was so left field...

Actually, and surprisingly no one mentioned it yet, I enjoyed that parody a great deal. They even got the guy who player the Keymaker to come back. Great stuff!!:D :D :D

zync
Nov 18, 2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81

If the red pill means being in MS wonderland then I take the big blue pill any day and just chop it up!

Technically Microsoft really took off when Gates purchased DOS (bet that guy killed himself...can't remember his name now though) which was command line...granted they don't use it now, but they have used command line before...

tychay
Nov 18, 2003, 01:42 AM
I saw nothing wrong with the internal VW parody (http://www.informationweek.com/705/05olsg.htm) which they eventually showed at PDC (note to Mac users: think of PDC as Microsoft's version of Apple Developer's Conference). The target of the ribbing that time was Sun and there is no intersection between Sun and MS, especially at the time.

This one is in poor taste. In fact, it's borderline taunting.

Look at how Microsoft portrays Linux in the movie and how the CEO now calls it open-source "insecure" (pot-kettle-black) changing from his previous tact that open-source was "un-American". At the same time, Microsoft sends their reps to open-source conferences all the time saying things like, "Tell us how open source and us can work together" and tries to form a nascent "community" around some releases of code examples built on their platform. Also, they start handing out copies of their OS, or Visual Studio and other multi-thousand dollar software.* This stuff is believable? The disconnect between upper management and these MS reps is amazing.

Or maybe it isn't a disconnect. At large technology conferences, I've seen people being badgered about various products by a person concealing their badges. Invariably that person turns out to be from Microsoft. *sigh*

IBM is a business partner. In fact, it's hard-impossible to get their ThinkPads without the (Microsoft) OS installed. They also support a lot Microsoft products from their mobile devices all the way up to their servers and enterprise. Taunting them is not just unamusing, it's immature.

My perspective can be summed up in this parable:

Once upon a time a certain young co-founder of a Hot Browser Company told the press and the world how they'd crush the Big Bad Monopoly using the Internet as a tool to end the nascent GUI monopoly.

Big Bad Monopoly read the article and realized that it had used this GUI in the same manner to establish an Operating System monopoly just a few years earlier by ending all competition in the Operating System--including the guys who actually invented the Operating System and later sticking it to their former friend, Big Blue Business Partner.

So, Big Bad Monopoly reversed it's position about the Internet and conned a third party who had access to Hot Browser's original source code, which they then bundled with the GUI/Operating System. After doing so, a vice president of Big Bad Monopoly sent to Hot Browser Company's board the following e-mail: Boy waves large red flag in front of herd of charging bulls and is surprised to wake up gored (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/14214.html).

And Big Bad Company continued to extract monopoly rents happily ever after.

The difference is nobody, not even IBM, is in the position to "gore" these two taunting boys.

Therein lies my problem with this video.

On another note, I don't vote about the articles because I'm not too sure what voting means: Does it mean how believable the rumor is? Does it mean how happy I am that it was reported? Does it mean how good this is for Apple? Does it mean how happy does it make me feel?

But, consider this a vote for being happy that MacRumors is reporting this. It's interesting and many might find it amusing.

* On a side note, one should look at the lastest quarterlies from Microsoft. Especially their OS division. $2 billion profit on revenue of $3 billion?? That's printing money. Get me some of that action!

LethalWolfe
Nov 18, 2003, 01:44 AM
Ahh yes. When people completely misuse punctuation and sentence structure (no offense Mr. Wolfe) the meanings become a bit confused.

My translation based on closest approximation of punctuation.

Well, it was a lot longer than 6 months between The Matrix (Original) and Reloaded. Revolutions wasn't a sequel but the second half of a single story. So your statement bashing Microsoft has no bearing.

This translation also actually makes sense, however it does not support his claim. I would agree that Microsoft has been releasing new versions more frequently than the 5-6 years as stated by DDMaKeeg, so I am thinking that this whole train of thought is utterly flawed from it's conception and should be altogether dropped. If a moderator feels so I think they would be completely justified in wiping all record of this conversation out of existence entirely.

It's late, and I'm a bit confused, but I think my sucking at grammar created a temporary problem...

I didn't intend for my post to have anyting to do w/MS. I just wanted to be a PITA , split hairs, and point out that Revolutions wasn't a sequel to, but a continuation of, Reloaded. Any meaning beyond that was unintended.

Lethal

zync
Nov 18, 2003, 01:45 AM
and Mr. Funk-o-matic, just because you didn't understand or appreciate the immense symbolism and have no respect for religion, don't bash the Matrix. But let's PLEASE not turn this into a thread of "I like the Matrix"/"It blew" I'm tired of that cheap whinny bull-****. It's a ****ing movie, either you liked it or you didn't, so what!

I wholeheartedly agree...hell, I'm even agnostic...though I kinda found an irony in the multiplicity of the religions presented...so I took it with an agnostic slant in that they present so much and let you decide...if effect they're saying "we don't know"....just my view...posted it on some matrix forum previously...though it is mostly christian...

zync
Nov 18, 2003, 01:52 AM
The "Mr. Smith" would be the best. It writes itself over every file in your drive turning them into copies of itself.

That would be cool....lol....

BTW, Steve Ballmer looks exactly like my World Religions teacher from High School three years ago....

zync
Nov 18, 2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by mustang_dvs
The command line environment in the matrix is, in fact *NIX, but which flavor is unknown. The hack Trinity performs is real. She uses Nmap version 2.54BETA25 to find a vulnerable SSH server, and then proceeds to exploit it using the SSH1 CRC32 vulnerability (http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-2001-12.html), which was discovered in November 2001.

I noticed that....I randomly paused looking to see the screen and what she was typing...

beefstu01
Nov 18, 2003, 01:56 AM
Heh... guys, we all may dislike Microsoft with a passion, but when all is said and done, Bill Gates is still richer than you. He's one smart guy, ya know, and though we may hate his tactics, they've worked...

That said, let Microsoft die a firey death. I'm all about Linux and our [linux] mail servers. Even their secure mail server can be easily compromised (front page /. article, check it out).

tychay
Nov 18, 2003, 02:13 AM
Technically Microsoft really took off when Gates purchased DOS (bet that guy killed himself...can't remember his name now though) which was command line...granted they don't use it now, but they have used command line before...

The guy was Tim Patterson and it was QDOS which itself was a clone of CP/M (the de-facto operating system of the time and the original OS that IBM wanted before going to Microsoft). Here is a history. (http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa033099.htm).

Microsoft was already an established company at the time else IBM wouldn't have approached them. (Many us "old foggies" remember that at one time Microsoft Corp. made CP/M enabling hardware for the Apple ][+.) In fact, outside of IBM, they were the first company to sell software. It is hard to point to a single incident that caused Microsoft to take off. While the events you describe was one of them, so was licensing Mac OS from Apple, and a number of other "dumb luck" events.

Windows used to run on top of DOS, but it now runs on the "New Technology" (NT) microkernel (sort of like Mac OS X runs on Darwin). In fact, many parts of the NT kernel were lifted from the Berkeley Unix operating system (TCP stack, zip compression, etc.) also before developing NT, their programmers needed to learn how to write a real OS so they made a clone of the Unix OS which was eventually sold to SCO.

Windows (NT, 2000, XP) still has a command line. In fact, it even has a shell--the shell is a clone of Korn Shell from AT&T Unix. (There is an interesting story where a guy once corrected the Microsoft product manager that it wasn't really Korn Shell. The product manager got angry and insistent until someone in the audience pointed out that he was arguing with David Korn (http://wigner.cped.ornl.gov/the-gang/1999-01/1396.html) himself.)

In fact, Microsoft sells Windows Services for Unix (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp) which is a misnomer because what it mostly does is allow you to make your Windows system more unix like on the command line. It's just hard to find information because their website is littered with "migrate from Unix to Windows" stuff.

I know this is off topic, but some of the readers might find it fascinating. After all, it seems many people's recounting of the events seem to come from movies such as "Pirates of Silicon Valley."

I noticed that....I randomly paused looking to see the screen and what she was typing...

You know when you're a geek when you knew instantly what she was typing when you saw it in the movie theatre.

Much better than the "This is a unix system... I know this." from Jurassic Park.

Megaquad
Nov 18, 2003, 02:22 AM
No comment.:rolleyes:
What's worst, now millions of people who will find this 'cool' will go out and buy more Microsoft products.

Sailfish
Nov 18, 2003, 02:24 AM
Yea I remember when the Apple GUI first came out and all the DOS addicts said real computer users don't use GUI.

Then the windows shell came out and then....

By the way I'll take that BIG BLUE PILL instead of the red pill and a trip into wonderland thank you, I got better things to do with my time than finding out how far Microshaft can yank me around.

zync
Nov 18, 2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe

Lethal

Actually neither are sequels...it's a trilogy yes, but it's a single story in three volumes...just like LotR...

stoid
Nov 18, 2003, 02:28 AM
Kinda like Cipher said...

If he'd told me the truth (i.e. Blue Screens of Death, Swiss Cheese Securityô, and that GODDAMNED PAPERCLIP!!!!!) I woulda told him to cram that red pill right up his ass!

Brent Turbo
Nov 18, 2003, 02:34 AM
Who cares?

zync
Nov 18, 2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by tychay
The guy was Tim Patterson and it was QDOS which itself was a clone of CP/M (the de-facto operating system of the time and the original OS that IBM wanted before going to Microsoft). Here is a history. (http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa033099.htm).

Microsoft was already an established company at the time else IBM wouldn't have approached them. (Many us "old foggies" remember that at one time Microsoft Corp. made CP/M enabling hardware for the Apple ][+.) In fact, outside of IBM, they were the first company to sell software. It is hard to point to a single incident that caused Microsoft to take off. While the events you describe was one of them, so was licensing Mac OS from Apple, and a number of other "dumb luck" events.

Windows used to run on top of DOS, but it now runs on the "New Technology" (NT) microkernel (sort of like Mac OS X runs on Darwin). In fact, many parts of the NT kernel were lifted from the Berkeley Unix operating system (TCP stack, zip compression, etc.) also before developing NT, their programmers needed to learn how to write a real OS so they made a clone of the Unix OS which was eventually sold to SCO.

Windows (NT, 2000, XP) still has a command line. In fact, it even has a shell--the shell is a clone of Korn Shell from AT&T Unix. (There is an interesting story where a guy once corrected the Microsoft product manager that it wasn't really Korn Shell. The product manager got angry and insistent until someone in the audience pointed out that he was arguing with David Korn (http://wigner.cped.ornl.gov/the-gang/1999-01/1396.html) himself.)

In fact, Microsoft sells Windows Services for Unix (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp) which is a misnomer because what it mostly does is allow you to make your Windows system more unix like on the command line. It's just hard to find information because their website is littered with "migrate from Unix to Windows" stuff.

I know this is off topic, but some of the readers might find it fascinating. After all, it seems many people's recounting of the events seem to come from movies such as "Pirates of Silicon Valley."

You know when you're a geek when you knew instantly what she was typing when you saw it in the movie theatre.

Much better than the "This is a unix system... I know this." from Jurassic Park.

I know it still has a command line though I wasn't aware of all the trials and tribulations that MS went through to develop NT. That was interesting. I wish I would've known what she was doing as she did it...I saw it while watching the DVD....I'm not that up on my *NIX yet...

stoid
Nov 18, 2003, 02:40 AM
Actually neither are sequels...it's a trilogy yes, but it's a single story in three volumes...just like LotR...

YAY! Someone finally gets it! The only thing I can't stand more than people mindlessly bashing the Matrix (not that all Matrix bashing is mindless), is mindlessly bashing the Matrix Revolutions or Reloaded as stand alone works of film. They are all the same piece of art divided over three films, cause 7 hours would give you a serious butt cramp!

Originally posted by Brent Turbo
Who cares?

Thank you for being descriptive, such lavish use of explanation is rare these days. Your post is so deep, that it's meaning has totally escaped me. ;)

zync
Nov 18, 2003, 02:46 AM
Actually, and surprisingly no one mentioned it yet, I enjoyed that parody a great deal. They even got the guy who player the Keymaker to come back. Great stuff!!:D :D :D

Yeah I knew I liked him...but after I saw him there, I liked him even more....

"I invented several popular video games including Q*Bert and Dig Dug. I didn't invent Frogger but I came up with the name for it. Can you believe they wanted to call it 'Highway Crossing Frog'?"

reyesmac
Nov 18, 2003, 02:55 AM
This just proves to me that even with all the money these guys have, they are still huge nerds. I guess money can't make someone cool.

Brent Turbo
Nov 18, 2003, 03:03 AM
Thank you for being descriptive, such lavish use of explanation is rare these days. Your post is so deep, that it's meaning has totally escaped me. ;)

It's more a "read between the lines," kinda post. Microsoft produced a video about themselves, praising themselves! And lo, the world keeps turning. It's not a Mac Rumor, nor is it particularly interesting in any way. That's what I meant by, "Who cares?"

deejemon
Nov 18, 2003, 03:10 AM

zync
Nov 18, 2003, 03:12 AM
YAY! Someone finally gets it! The only thing I can't stand more than people mindlessly bashing the Matrix (not that all Matrix bashing is mindless), is mindlessly bashing the Matrix Revolutions or Reloaded as stand alone works of film. They are all the same piece of art divided over three films, cause 7 hours would give you a serious butt cramp!

Yeah I had to say it cause no one ever does...it's like that psychological problem humans have...the more people that see an accident, or anything else wrong like power being out or something, occur the less people are likely to help, which really sucks....yes that's actually a psychological problem...and you just figured somebody else would do it didn't you! didn't you! :D

deejemon
Nov 18, 2003, 03:16 AM

Nipsy
Nov 18, 2003, 03:19 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but MS has chosen IBM PPC chips for upcoming consoles...PS3 just gained some market edge due to mysterious delivery problems from IBM to M$.

displaced
Nov 18, 2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by mustang_dvs
Actually, this "take the red pill" business is rather ironic...

Remember, in "The Matrix," the red pill was a traceroute program which allowed Morpheus and crew to exploit a security vulnerability and perform a denial of service attack against Neo's connection to the matrix.

'Course, being Windows, it'd be a tracert.exe program (still 8-char filename compliant after all these years). The vulnerability would be Certificate Validation Flaw Could Enable Identity Spoofing (329115) (an advisory for which is in my MS Security Bulletins mailbox, dated 13/11/03). The denial of service bit would be the MSBlaster worm, which crashes the RPC service.

Incidentally, the thing which made the Blaster worm such a pain for most users wasn't actually the fact that the RPC service crashed. It was due to the fact that Windows is configured to roll over and die with a mandatory reboot if the RPC service shut down. The crash itself wasn't annoying -- it was Windows' response to the crash that led to the reboot..

... oops, OT. Sorry :)

Mac Kiwi
Nov 18, 2003, 03:46 AM
Looks like Bill has finally found something he cannot have,he cant pull off cool.The reason he cant pull off some style is because millions of people if asked what their first thoughts were on hearing the name Bill Gates,would be somethng like that rich nerd who owns MS,its subconscious,hes screwed he will never get rid of that image.

ipiloot
Nov 18, 2003, 04:07 AM
Did it include the scene where Neo woke up in the cocoon after eating the pill with nasty slime all around him?

aethier
Nov 18, 2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by SeaFox

I never really got the Neo-Smith thing. Shouldn't Smith have been thankful to Neo for freeing him from the Matrix?

Neo did not free them from the matrix, given that the Agent Smith is a prgram. and really neo didn't really destroy the agent smith program either, it was the machines who, when neo was "assimilated" they gave him like a turbo boost of power and then all the smiths died...

aethier

Sabenth
Nov 18, 2003, 05:22 AM
all i can add to this is 3 years too late. dont know if anyone else gives a rats ass about all of this looks like a funny spoof and well with there money who can blame them.

TRY HAAAAARRRRRRDDDDDSSSSSSS...

Nerds vile
etc etc

<insert your feelings here>

mproud
Nov 18, 2003, 05:24 AM
I'd just like to say

HELLO??!!

Bill Gates, and Steve Ballmer and Microsoft are really the agents! Linux and the open sourcers are Morpheus, Neo, Trinity, and the like. They're the one's rebelling from the ever-pursuing agents that change forms (like entering into new markets), hacking into the "Matrix" run by robots (or maybe, Windows riddled with bugs and viruses [like the one that was planted into Neo - remember?], run by souless individuals).

They got it all wrong and totally misunderstood what the movie The Matrix is all about!

pcdoctor
Nov 18, 2003, 05:36 AM
Ballmer should have been Morpheus because he is bald.
Gates should have been Neo.

codemother
Nov 18, 2003, 06:14 AM
wankers

sausages
Nov 18, 2003, 06:20 AM
does anyone know of a like that actually has the VIDEO of this matrix video. why is it i cannot find anything but pictures? why has it been edited out? :mad:

rt_brained
Nov 18, 2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX

I'd like to see Steve Jobs do that :) Not so much criticizing when anything to do with Apple's competition is mentioned as much as criticizing how often stupid people use "lol" as a substitute for "Ha, ha"...when in reality the statement isn't the least bit funny, nor is the author likely actually making themself laugh at that very moment.

Besides, if you haven't already noticed, Steve Jobs typically reserves his creative energy for innovation.

We'll leave the bland rehashes of great works to Bill Gates and his ilk.

Counterfit
Nov 18, 2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by codemother
wankers Couldn't have said it better myself :D

iLilana
Nov 18, 2003, 06:48 AM
He will never be as cool as he wants to be. Or is it he will just never be cool.

side note about the matrix revolutions. I loved them all. All three movies were different movies with different tones. they were far from rushed and hardly destroyed. I really love the visual representation and comic book flavor in revolutions. I held my breath in suspense for the whole dock fight. Hats off Wachowskis. Its also why I loved Kill Bill. Its a story told well and visually effective.

Bill however has no entertainment value. He's dry with no wit. No innovation. No passion about anything but his own efforts to consume the world. There in representing a symbolic presence of the matrix. Sucking the wallets of thier consumers while they don't even notice the apathetic stagnation known as windows consuming and controling everything around them. For that matter... they don't even care.

wow.. deja vu

macmax
Nov 18, 2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by arn
it was pretty well done

Image from: http://www.tabletpctalk.com/pictures/comdex2003billg2.shtml (slow)

bill's head is shrinking, hehehhehehe:D it looks too small compared to his body, hehehhhe

man , if the whole world would use a mac for a week, it would know what heaven is!!!

DillHarris
Nov 18, 2003, 07:05 AM
Why, what's wrong with Revolutions? I haven't seen it yet (so don't spoil it for me), but I thought it was described as having a very satisfying ending.

I really enjoyed the third one... Reloaded was definately the weakest of the three, but Revolutions was quite satisfying.

gothamac
Nov 18, 2003, 07:09 AM
Apple Store is down. Looks like we're in for new stuff.

the_mole1314
Nov 18, 2003, 07:19 AM
Hey guys, does this kinda remind you of something?

Plus, the 'da-da-da' commerical made them just look really stupid, which isn't really hard to do.

macmax
Nov 18, 2003, 07:29 AM

It's not because they had to recast the old lady when the original actress died is it (or so I heard)? I knew she was carrying the whole movie, but nobody believed me.... :D

another holywood stupidity!!!

i hope next year the movie world reruns all of kubrick's movies and then select a one year festival of only good foreign movies to clean up the mind of the young viewers.

SiliconAddict
Nov 18, 2003, 07:36 AM
Once again Billy boy tries to be cool and fails like the idiot he is. If Morpheus was a small thin whiny guy I think everyone would have been doomed from day one.

FYI - The entire tril will go down as a set of brilliant movies. Just because people are so narrow minded and can't see the scope being offered by the tril of movies doesn't make it any less brilliant. The fact of the matter is the movies do have a complex plotline and I can't tell you how many times I've had someone complain to me about how hard it was to follow revolutions. If you have a problem with the matrix go see a spongebob movie and stop your complaining. In 5 years Matrix will have a following = or greater to Star Wars or Star Trek. Someday I expect some prequels to be made. There is a whole back-story there that deserves to be told and while Animatrix did a decent job of this deserves more.

ColdZero
Nov 18, 2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by faustofernos

I need to ask a personal friend, but those guys do NOT like Bill Gates, or what M$ represents. They either got paid a TON of money (they hardly made anything from the first Matrix film) or they are going to be suing M$ for using their stuff.

IT will be very funny if a big settlement comes out of this.

Internet Connection to read mac rumors, $49/month

Mac to read forums with, $2000

Mac user who doesn't know about the copyright law that covers parody....priceless

macmax
Nov 18, 2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Once again Billy boy tries to be cool and fails like the idiot he is. If Morpheus was a small thin whiny guy I think everyone would have been doomed from day one.

FYI - The entire tril will go down as a set of brilliant movies. Just because people are so narrow minded and can't see the scope being offered by the tril of movies doesn't make it any less brilliant. The fact of the matter is the movies do have a complex plotline and I can't tell you how many times I've had someone complain to me about how hard it was to follow revolutions. If you have a problem with the matrix go see a spongebob movie and stop your complaining. In 5 years Matrix will have a following = or greater to Star Wars or Star Trek. Someday I expect some prequels to be made. There is a whole back-story there that deserves to be told and while Animatrix did a decent job of this deserves more.

i said kubrick, proly as 2001, lolita, dr strangelove...., a clockwork orange, and believe me,
i could jump to Bunuel,bergman and too many others , that i will ignore someone that doesn't love the industry as a form of art.

if you believe that what holywood is putting out should be called art, then , well my friend, we have nothing else to discuss

vanillamike
Nov 18, 2003, 08:43 AM
I could just see the matrix running on a windows machine.

"woa deja vu"
"oh there must be a glitch in the ma......"

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Seriously though, if I was the CEO of a major corporation I wouldn't be caught dead making low rate crappy parodies. There is a certain point were I would decide hmmm we could hire somone for that. Bill and company lose a lot of face by not only promoting but starring in such a lame parody.

Now if they had gotten the real actors I would have been impressed ;)

Mike

Mr. Anderson
Nov 18, 2003, 08:56 AM
What about the fact that MS is planning on putting and IBM chip in their next XBox?

Pretty silly if you ask me - however, I can only imagine how much funnier it would have been to actually have been working on this little project with these two 'stars'.

Its just one more thing that we can use to make fun of MS - and don't be that harsh, if there wasn't an MS and Billy-boy, who would we have to make fun of?

D :p

SiliconAddict
Nov 18, 2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by macmax
i said kubrick, proly as 2001, lolita, dr strangelove...., a clockwork orange, and believe me,
i could jump to Bunuel,bergman and too many others , that i will ignore someone that doesn't love the industry as a form of art.

if you believe that what holywood is putting out should be called art, then , well my friend, we have nothing else to discuss

Your definition of art and mine may very because art is defined by taste. There is no set in stone criteria, look at the Emmys and Oscars for God sake, that defines what good art is. Take for example Kubrick. I canít stand his movies. Iíve watched more then a few of them (Can't get past the first 1/4 of Clockwork Orange and walked out of Eyes Wide Shut.) Most boring, incomprehensible, over the top, junk I've ever watched. ( A few exceptions: Shining and 2001. I actually liked these movies though 2001 you needed to be high to enjoy the ending :p ) Iím of the opinion that a movie should do one thing. Entertain. If a movie can accomplish this one goal everything else is canon fodder. Only the snootiest of society needs some artsy POC to justify seeing something. The rest of us just want a good movie we can sink our teeth into. If it has some higher meaning behind it while entertaining use so much the better. Do I think 90% of what Hollywood puts out is art? Hell no. I point you to last summerís The Core. (Or as I call it Armageddon II: The Core) *Vomits*
But Matrix is one of those movies that has a fantastic plot, has good visuals, has good character dynamics, and most importantly keeps you, at least it did with me, entertained.
Please do us all a favor and take your I-know-art attitude and go talk it out at some hotsy totsy trendy cafť somewhere.

Kid Red
Nov 18, 2003, 10:47 AM
ot- But Matrix 3 did have some flaws, not nearly as many have said tho. However, there is NOTHING on this planet even close to the sentinel battle sequence in Zion. NOTHING. Simply gorgeously amazing stunning visuals. That is half of the Matrix, stunning visuals and the final does not disappoint.

amnesiac1984
Nov 18, 2003, 11:10 AM
To those of you saying Microsoft is The Matrix and Linux etc are Neo and his buddies, have you not seen the animatrix? Its the humans who started the war. Its the human who persecuted the machines. Even when the machines moved to their own country and tried to live in peace with the humans. Well the americans got a little nervous about "national security". And look where that attitude got them!!

So if you want microsoft to be the Matrix then that means microsoft is a good company who just isn't liked by lots of people because of their bad image!

Sounds like The Matrix is more like Apple, Too good for most people to understand. (although you should prpbably leave out the killing humans part if it were apple.)

MorganX
Nov 18, 2003, 11:16 AM
>>IBM is a business partner. In fact, it's hard-impossible to get their ThinkPads without the (Microsoft) OS installed. <<

While they smile sealing an XBOX2 CPU deal with one hand, they make a pretty big public deal about removing all Microsoft software inside IBM, replacing it with Linux.

Business at this level is not for the meek.

SeaFox
Nov 18, 2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by pcdoctor
Ballmer should have been Morpheus because he is bald.
Gates should have been Neo.

Yeah, that would have made more sense, except we can't have Windows-God Gates being taken to school by second-banana Ballmer.

SeaFox
Nov 18, 2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by aethier
Neo did not free them from the matrix, given that the Agent Smith is a prgram. and really neo didn't really destroy the agent smith program either, it was the machines who, when neo was "assimilated" they gave him like a turbo boost of power and then all the smiths died...
aethier

Yeah. That's how I saw it, too.

The mainframe couldn't enter the Matrix itself to get Smith. So when Neo jacked into the Matrix through the Mainframe and not on the pirate signals of the Matrix the Mainframe had a conduit in that was more than all the other human wetware.

Neo let Smith assimilate him so the Mainframe would be able to get at him.

SeaFox
Nov 18, 2003, 01:54 PM
Where would the Mac have been in this whole thing?

Are we the anamolis programs? Trapped in the Matrix world but functioning outside its rules?

MorganX
Nov 18, 2003, 02:01 PM

2. What I've seen of the parody seemed to be based on the original "The Matrix", not the other 2 parts. Maybe I didn't see enough of it.

The point I was trying to make was, why would a "parody" of "The Matrix" have to be brilliant, when the two following films were not brilliant.

In other words, the seriousness being given to The Matrix Trilogy and the MS Matrix parody is somewhat disturbing.

cr2sh
Nov 18, 2003, 02:20 PM
I couldn't get the SUCK off me for hours after seeing the new matrix film... so this, makes sense.
Damnit Bill! That movie sucked! You didn't even notice? Try harder next time!

Java
Nov 18, 2003, 02:30 PM
Ok, is it just me, or did anyone realize that this link is from the "Daily Times; A new Voice for a new Pakistan ".

For the record, I have nothing against Pakistan.

I'm just wondering why, say, the New York Times, Wired, or any large newspapers (such as local ones covering the event) haven't posted any articles?

Just my $.02

mvc
Nov 18, 2003, 03:47 PM
I should have taken the blue pill.

mustang_dvs
Nov 18, 2003, 04:32 PM
Yeah. That's how I saw it, too.

The mainframe couldn't enter the Matrix itself to get Smith. So when Neo jacked into the Matrix through the Mainframe and not on the pirate signals of the Matrix the Mainframe had a conduit in that was more than all the other human wetware.

Neo let Smith assimilate him so the Mainframe would be able to get at him.

*** SPOILER WARNING ***

Not to threadjack this forum for meaningless drivel, but the reason the Smiths exploded was not because of Neo, but the lack of Neo. Remember, the Oracle told Neo that Smith grew more powerful as the Matrix attempted to "balance the equation." If the reality of the Matrix can be seen as (Neo) = X*(Smith), where X is Smith's power, if Neo = 0, then X must also equal 0, thus, without Neo, Smith cannot exist.

*** END SPOILERS ***

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that this parody doubtlessly sucks and that Microsoft, Gates and Balmer envision themselves as such shows just how out of touch they are...

cr2sh
Nov 18, 2003, 04:45 PM
Hahah... I'm not down enough with the Matrix to conclude this... but could someone please throw down an analogy on viruses, in the matrix, attacking windows... i dunno... seems like there outta be something there.

ipot
Nov 18, 2003, 05:21 PM
Nobody noticed? Longhorn IS the Matrix! You can see it in the very last pictures!!

Anybody a link to the video? I would realy like to see this one! And be honest, that video MUST be funny...I think MS got it all totally wrong and made an amusement about itself.

manitoubalck
Nov 18, 2003, 06:59 PM
AGENT SMITH: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I've realized that you are not actually mammals.

AGENT SMITH: Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment. But you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area.

AGENT SMITH: There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus.

AGENT SMITH: Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague. And we are... the cure.

See what you can do with that.

manitoubalck
Nov 18, 2003, 07:01 PM
Or this

AGENT SMITH: Have you ever stood and stared at it, Morpheus? Marveled at its beauty. Its genius. Billions of people just living out their lives... oblivious.

AGENT SMITH: Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost.

AGENT SMITH: Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery.

AGENT SMITH: The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was re-designed to this: the peak of your civilization.

AGENT SMITH: I say 'your civilization' because as soon as we start thinking for you, it really becomes our civilization, which is, of course, what this is all about.

AGENT SMITH: Evolution, Morpheus. Evolution.

AGENT SMITH: Like the dinosaur. Look out that window. You had your time.

AGENT SMITH: The future is our world, Morpheus. The future is our time

manitoubalck
Nov 18, 2003, 07:04 PM
Why were there no great speaches like this in the second two movies?, There are others but these two fit with what cr2sh was trying to get @.

techne
Nov 18, 2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by manitoubalck
Why were there no great speaches like this in the second two movies?, There are others but these two fit with what cr2sh was trying to get @.

Are you kidding me? Nihilism and Hope had never battled like this:

* possible spoilers ahead *

Agent Smith: Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more that your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Yes? No? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?
Neo: Because I choose to.

LimeiBook86
Nov 18, 2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by the_mole1314
Hey guys, does this kinda remind you of something?

Plus, the 'da-da-da' commerical made them just look really stupid, which isn't really hard to do.

are those cheeseburgers? they look like'em

daveL
Nov 18, 2003, 08:47 PM
Well, MS has never innovated in the past, why start now? Take a success by someone else (regardless of your opinion of the movie series) and play off it - that's the Bill Gates Way. He couldn't even figure out the appeal of the LAN, giving rise to Novell. Missed the 'Net altogether and had to use the WinDoze monopoly to recover. What a waste. What a jerk. Imagine where we would be ... At this point, I think MS is the ultimate example of where capitalism fails. God, I hope I live long enough to see MS go down the tubes and reason prevail.

MasterMac
Nov 18, 2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
To those of you saying Microsoft is The Matrix and Linux etc are Neo and his buddies, have you not seen the animatrix? Its the humans who started the war. Its the human who persecuted the machines. Even when the machines moved to their own country and tried to live in peace with the humans. Well the americans got a little nervous about "national security". And look where that attitude got them!!

Huh? Where in the Animatrix did they say it was just the Americans? Last time I watched the Animatrix, it was the UN who was getting all "nervous" :rolleyes:

Sabenth
Nov 19, 2003, 12:43 AM
think the spoof worked then got people talking

PaisanoMan
Nov 19, 2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by tychay

You know what's even funnier? That's real (http://www.sgi.com/fun/freeware/3d_navigator.html), too. :)

chanoc
Nov 19, 2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by cesar

Yeah Ellen!!!!!!!

BTW, that Microcrap sucked. It really looked corny and poorly edited. WTG Bill and Steve-- not!:rolleyes:

stoid
Nov 19, 2003, 02:59 AM
Where would the Mac have been in this whole thing?

Are we the anamolis programs? Trapped in the Matrix world but functioning outside its rules?

Mac users are those trapped inside the Matrix that know that the Matrix is a fat pile of horse ****, but we are stuck in an ignorant and blind world. Like "The Kid" and Neo before he was freed. We realize that something is not right, but we can't do anything but wait and hope that the ignorant become less ignorant.

edit: WHOA, that's a bit more zealot-o-rific than I wanted to be. Sorry.

cr2sh
Nov 19, 2003, 06:57 AM
I hope this video spawns legions of Linux/Mac junkies producing videos that blow the star wars kid away..... Oh man, the possibilities.

the_mole1314
Nov 19, 2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
are those cheeseburgers? they look like'em

What type? Big Mac mabey? Big Macs in racks?

amnesiac1984
Nov 19, 2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by MasterMac
Huh? Where in the Animatrix did they say it was just the Americans? Last time I watched the Animatrix, it was the UN who was getting all "nervous" :rolleyes:

I stand corrected, but my point still remains.
Hopefully is something similar actually happens in the future the Matrix could be a lesson to us all. I mean what will happen when we invent AI? The machines only got nasty after being rejected by the humans.

Glixx
Nov 19, 2003, 09:24 AM
Hey,

Bill, come on, you are not credible...

Buddies, visit the following link, and watch the movie till it ends... Then you will know exactly who is the owner of the Matrix.

http://www.matrix-xp.com/

davesag
Nov 19, 2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
ot- But Matrix 3 did have some flaws, not nearly as many have said tho. However, there is NOTHING on this planet even close to the sentinel battle sequence in Zion. NOTHING. Simply gorgeously amazing stunning visuals. That is half of the Matrix, stunning visuals and the final does not disappoint.

Why did those 'sentinals', which were so intimidating and seemingly so smart in 'The Matrix' just stupidly zoom around and around like so much connon fodder, instead of just getting in and killing people like they are meant to.

It was just galaga for the cinema. or I am just too old. (old enough to remember galaga anway).

I've seen many a panel van with 'sumptious visuals', but that doesn't make it a great car. Now 'Kill Bill' had sumptious visuals, made a lot more sense, and I stayed awake throughout the whole thing. Unlike MRev where i had to be nudged awake by my companion during the many overly long and boring bits of 'dialogue for stupid people, or kids'. No they should have just left the matrix as it was with no follow ups. they were both weaker than starwars, and man, that's weak.

Alex Rex
Nov 20, 2003, 12:15 AM
AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

People, where is that clip?

MasterMac
Nov 20, 2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by davesag
Why did those 'sentinals', which were so intimidating and seemingly so smart in 'The Matrix' just stupidly zoom around and around like so much connon fodder, instead of just getting in and killing people like they are meant to.

***Spoiler Warning -- Don't read if you haven't seen the movie***
Hmm, well in Matrix 1 the sentinals weren't under fire by hundreds of machines and guns like they were in Revolutions, were they? And they weren't "stupidly" zooming around, they were doing their best to avoid the gunfire. I believe the camera zoomed in on one of these sentinals soon after the dock was breached and you could see how it was avoiding all the gun shots. They also had some sentinals designed to protect those driller machines by flying all around them making sure that any missiles didn't hit the drillers, which seems pretty smart to me. Also in Reloaded you see that instead of going in themselves to attack the ship they send in a grenade-type weapon and go in once the ship is destroyed (basically, to get rid of any possibility that the humans would use their EMP). But in the Matrix 1 all they did was clamp onto the ship and start using their little lazer thing... Now it doesn't take a genius (IMO) to see that clearly they were acting smarter in Revolutions (and Reloaded) than they were in the original...

Also, did you actually watch Revolutions, or at least the dock battle? IIRC, they DID kill MOST of the people guarding the dock and they DID manage to destroy most everything in the dock, and they still had thousands of sentinals flying around there, and they were just about to destroy the rest of Zion before Neo struck a deal with the machines... so obviously those sentinals were effective.

Edit; spelling fixes

Counterfit
Nov 20, 2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by davesag
No they should have just left the matrix as it was with no follow ups. they were both weaker than starwars, and man, that's weak. But The Matrix, like Star Wars and Lord of The Rings (sorta), was designed from the beginning as a trilogy.

caquino
Nov 29, 2003, 07:30 AM
http://www.only4gurus.com/v2/preview.asp?ID=4551

This is only the first half of the video, showing Steve-O and the "agents". We are looking hard for the entire movie, so stay tunned!

syco
Nov 29, 2003, 07:32 PM
Ooh!

Must see!

Whole thing!

In HQ!

Counterfit
Nov 29, 2003, 11:05 PM
Wow, I can't believe people actually laughed at that...

aldo
Nov 30, 2003, 01:12 PM
I thought this was quite funny off that page: "We are hardly looking for the entire movie, so, stay tunned! "

When it should obviously be 'We are looking hard for the entire movie..' :D

caquino
Nov 30, 2003, 01:22 PM
Sorry for the bad English!! We are correcting this!

zync
Nov 30, 2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by aldo
I thought this was quite funny off that page: "We are hardly looking for the entire movie, so, stay tunned! "

When it should obviously be 'We are looking hard for the entire movie..' :D

I, too, found that odd. I also found it odd that it's in .wmv format...I already DLed WMP9 and deleted it and I don't feel like sitting here for another 16MBs on dialup after I DLed a 6MB movie...besides I don't want WMP9 on my mac :D...guess I'll just wait until I have to hook up to my win machine....