PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Logic board advice & help

OrangeSVTguy
May 8, 2008, 01:18 AM
Hey I'm looking to get this titanium powerbook but it has a broken screen, possibly bad backlight? I can get it for a good price and I would love to have it to replace my ibook. I don't know the specs for sure but I am positive I think it's the DVI version since it has the keyboard that looks like the ibooks(same placement for the keyboard release latches).

The guy said it worked fine on an external monitor but just recently he said it won't boot now and it now makes a high-pitched whining sound. Anyone know what that is? I'd like to use it as a headless mac until I locate a new screen for it.

So I'm just wanting to get the advice if it's something major or something minor as I've never had a PB before.

OrangeSVTguy
May 8, 2008, 05:49 PM
So anyone know what the problem could be? Faulty DC in board or optical drive keeping it from booting up? I think I'm gonna buy it anyways and just tinker around with it :D. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky ;)

tonybeyondo
May 9, 2008, 12:55 PM
What are the specs? My mom has a Ti-book that she's run for years, but I've got to say it's getting a little long in the tooth...

OrangeSVTguy
May 9, 2008, 01:23 PM
I don't know yet until I get it maybe later tonight or this weekend. I know it's not the lower end one because it has the later keyboard with the right release latch between the F11 & F12 keys.

I got it off ebay, here's a link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290228444445&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019
I'm hoping for the 1ghz one because I'd like superdrive and such and possibly 64mb vram.

OrangeSVTguy
May 10, 2008, 04:10 PM
Ok I picked it up this morning. It's a 550mhz gigabit ethernet model. It has 512mb memory (2x256mb) 20gb hdd and a DVD-rom.

I guess the logic board is shot because it doesn't have separate DC in board like the later models and it's emitting a high pitched buzzing sound when I press the power button and it won't boot.

The buzzing is actually come from this part in the circled area in the picture.

I think I'll need to buy a screen for it too since the guy said it didn't work. For less the $150 I can get a 667 VGA model logic board and screen for it so I'm thinking of just fixing it...