PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I have a noob question about audio interfaces.

Sir Tony
May 9, 2008, 09:04 AM
I have starting mixing a little bit on my iMac. I just picked up a pair of M-Audio BX5a's. I am currently running them out of the audio out with a y splitter (yuck I know!). I am looking for an inexpensive audio interface with 1/4 outputs. I really do not need any midi inputs and such right now, but wouldn't mind having them for the future. What are my options?

Thanks!

WinterMute
May 10, 2008, 06:24 AM
The Griffiin iMic is a solid and cheap interface, it doesn't have 1/4" outs, but has a 1/8" stereo to Phono adapter.

It is significantly better than the native output, without spending serious wedge.

BCains
May 10, 2008, 06:59 AM
Will you be doing any recording...? the below options include xlr & 1/4" inputs.

Apogee Duet - $495
2x XLR 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
2x 1/4" Line Inputs
2x 1/4" Line Out (speakers)
Headphone

PreSonus FireBox - $300
2x XLR at 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
2x 1/4" On back panel
6x 1/4" Line Outs (speakers)
MIDI I/O
Headphone

M-Audio FireWire Solo - $165
1x XLR 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
2x 1/4" Line Input
2x 1/4" Line Outs (speakers)
Heaphone

Sir Tony
May 12, 2008, 10:56 AM
I went ahead and purchased a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface for $30. I read some reviews on it and found that it is much better than the iMac internal sound card and I have a little bit more control over it. I am looking to upgrade in the future but this should work in the meantime. Thank you for your help!

Wakakanada
Aug 22, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hi, I'm thinking about picking up a UCA202 by Behringer, and was wondering how your purchase worked out.

ChrisA
Aug 22, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hi, I'm thinking about picking up a UCA202 by Behringer, and was wondering how your purchase worked out.

Maybe it is OK for your use but Behringer has a reputation for not making the best gear. Their stuff is mostly low end but a decent value for what it is. But if that is what you need then it's a bargin.

I bought a Behringer mixer. It is certainly not good enough to record with but All I wanted it for was to mix iPod with my Roland keyboard to run into headphones for practice. The Behringer unit was 1/2 the price of a good pro level mixer.

Wakakanada
Aug 22, 2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks ChrisA. I just want a glorified toy to try out low quality recording with Garageband. If I ever got into serious recording where sound quality mattered I'd upgrade. Sounds like your basically saying, "you get what you paid for" which is what I'm after [and not paying a lot ;)]

Liquorpuki
Aug 25, 2009, 01:13 PM
Maybe it is OK for your use but Behringer has a reputation for not making the best gear. Their stuff is mostly low end but a decent value for what it is. But if that is what you need then it's a bargin.

I bought a Behringer mixer. It is certainly not good enough to record with but All I wanted it for was to mix iPod with my Roland keyboard to run into headphones for practice. The Behringer unit was 1/2 the price of a good pro level mixer.

the preamps on those Behringer mixers are surprisingly good for their price though

I used them to record vocals through them when I was on a budget. I still carry around a cheap 4 track Behringer for sessions and I know a few club DJ's who use them in their setups

Behringer audio interfaces though, I don't know anyone who uses them. I didn't even know they made interfaces