Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I have the Terminal client on my iMac. I'm trying to delete it from my hard drive, as I don't run it anymore, and it keeps coming up as "in use." I've checked Terminal, and don't see it showing up there.

Any thoughts?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
When you say "checked" are you running the 'top' command and looking for FAHcore or OSX-3.24 or something?

You can kill a process by typing 'kill' and then the process number you see to the left of it in top.

For example:
kill 242

After that, you should be able to trash it.

But that begs the question, why? ;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
But that begs the question, why? ;)

I haven't run it in a long while, or so I didn't think. I checked the files in the F@H folder, and they're updated thru today actually. I wanted to start over with it, and reinstall.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Yeah, the script adds that command to your aliases and will remove F@H for you. You might need to type 'stop' first, to quit the process.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Last login: Thu Nov 20 10:24:10 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
[eyelikeart:~] frank% stop
stop: Too few arguments.
[eyelikeart:~] frank% rid
rid: Command not found.
[eyelikeart:~] frank%

So now what? Could I just reinstall & have it replace whatever is there?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
yeah, reinstall and do the rid command

that will get rid of everything

thats prob the easiest way

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
This may be another case of bash being in charge, don't you think?

That's the second time I've seen stop used in something other than to stop folding.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
sh*t why did Apple have to change the default shell to a scripting shell? :mad:

oh well…

vannote

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by mc68k
sh*t why did Apple have to change the default shell to a scripting shell? :mad:

oh well…

They probably changed it out of popular demand. bash is king outside of the OS X world. Have to keep all those Linux converts happy.

Just as a heads up, as I mentioned in another thread, stop is also a csh and tcsh built-in for job control.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
So, is there any way to actually remove everything with a command, or does it have to be removed manually (if I installed it from the script.)

I can delete the FAH folder in my home directory but what about the crontab that starts it up at startup?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by G4scott
So, is there any way to actually remove everything with a command, or does it have to be removed manually (if I installed it from the script.)

I can delete the FAH folder in my home directory but what about the crontab that starts it up at startup?
the rid script/command basically deletes some dot-files in your home dir, removes the F@H dir, removes the crontab, and kills the running folding processes

if u wanted to do it manually, it's just some kill, rm, and crontab -r commands

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by mc68k
the rid script/command basically deletes some dot-files in your home dir, removes the F@H dir, removes the crontab, and kills the running folding processes

if u wanted to do it manually, it's just some kill, rm, and crontab -r commands

I try the rid command, and it says "tcsh: rid: command not found"

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
something is not right. either:

it didnt install
it is installed but doesnt have an alias refernce

open a terminal and see if u have a .login file
Code:
cat login
and if so...what does it say

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
I'm not the original poster, but I found this thread helpful until it came to its current end....

I installed your script about a week ago. Since then the dnetc process has shown in the activity monitor. I have not gained any results yet. I am familiar with pretty well the entire UI of OS X, but no next to nothing of unix/terminal.

I would like either:
to know how to tell how far along a work unit is (monitor its progress)
make sure specs such as name, team number, etc. are correct

or: to completely remove all traces of the console version and the script version, and to install nFoldMan, as I am much more confortable with graphical interfaces.

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
you might want to cd ~ first to make sure you're in your user directory. is that a typo or isn't it "cat .login"?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
jimjiminyjim said:
I'm not the original poster, but I found this thread helpful until it came to its current end....

I installed your script about a week ago. Since then the dnetc process has shown in the activity monitor. I have not gained any results yet. I am familiar with pretty well the entire UI of OS X, but no next to nothing of unix/terminal.

I would like either:
to know how to tell how far along a work unit is (monitor its progress)
make sure specs such as name, team number, etc. are correct

or: to completely remove all traces of the console version and the script version, and to install nFoldMan, as I am much more confortable with graphical interfaces.
dnetc is the distributed.net client for RC5-72-- not folding@home. u must have DLed the wrong thing from my site

i don't have an "easy" way to deinstall this, so u'll have to do it manually. but it is only a couple commands in the Terminal:
Code:
rm -r ~/Documents/.dnetc
crontab -r

just download the right setup this time ;)

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
errr... now I'm looking and when I type "work" it comes back with F@H2 "no such file or directory" (Process 1 is working fine though).

Is that just carry over from the DP script, and I can just ignore it, or could I get more WU out of the script if I did anything about this?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
jimjiminyjim said:
errr... now I'm looking and when I type "work" it comes back with F@H2 "no such file or directory" (Process 1 is working fine though).

Is that just carry over from the DP script, and I can just ignore it, or could I get more WU out of the script if I did anything about this?
did u install the DP or SP script?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I have the same with my G3 B&W after installing the single processor script from you mc68k. Installed it again (after getting rid of it) but the same story. I think it is something in X.3. In X.2 this was't happening!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.