PDA

View Full Version : iPod AppleCare?


MacRumors
Nov 20, 2003, 04:23 AM
According to sources, Apple is planning on announcing the availability of the AppleCare Protection Plan for their iPod product line as early as Monday. AppleCare (http://www.apple.com/support/products/) is presently only offered for Apple's desktop, laptop and server computers.

AppleCare is Apple's extended repair coverage and extends both their Telephone Support (90 days) and Repairs (1 year) to a three year period from time of purchase.

As with many warranties, accident/abuse and normal wear and tear are not covered under the plan. Full details of Apple's present AppleCare plan are available in this Terms and Conditions PDF (http://a1456.g.akamai.net/7/1456/51/c48b382cf9b76e/www.apple.com/r/store/applecare/APPTermsConditions.pdf).

Sabenth
Nov 20, 2003, 04:38 AM
They were not covered in the first place i didnt know that. I thought all apple products were covered got to read up moe i think

simply258
Nov 20, 2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
offered for Apple's desktop and server computers.
Laptops too

jer2665
Nov 20, 2003, 06:06 AM
after hearing of so many problems with the ipod batteries and harddrives after a year or two, i wasn't about to pay $500 on something that could crap the bed in a year or two. I bought mine at best buy, and bought the extended service plan, I believe it was like $50 for 4 years or something like that. Depending on the price of applecare, that may still be a better idea. anyone thinking of getting one should definately check out best buy

MrMacMan
Nov 20, 2003, 06:21 AM
Sounds like a good idea.

:D

VicMacs
Nov 20, 2003, 06:50 AM
i just hope its not 300 dollars!

clonenode
Nov 20, 2003, 06:51 AM
The biggest misconception about AppleCare is that it provides insurance style "coverage" against accidental damage. It does not.

It covers manufacturing defects in year two and three of ownership. The better part of it is getting extended, free technical support phone calls. That normally runs out after the first 90 days. With an AppleCare Protection Plan, you get free phone support for the rest of the first year AND the next two years.

It's a good thing and Apple's pricing is amazingly reasonable... as little as $169 on the eMacs & iMacs.

Flowbee
Nov 20, 2003, 07:13 AM
Maybe this is the new $749 product that's been recently rumored. :D

Stella
Nov 20, 2003, 07:32 AM
Is this a US only service?

Until Apple confirms this, I suppose we will have to assume it is.

We all know what Apple are like when mixing services with countries outside the US borders.

:rolleyes:

backspinner
Nov 20, 2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Maybe this is the new $749 product that's been recently rumored. :D

LOL

Actually, a friend was looking for an iBook and was shocked to find out that AppleCare costs a quarter of the list price...

autrefois
Nov 20, 2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Maybe this is the new $749 product that's been recently rumored. :D

Good one! :D Yeh, I assume the prices for AppleCare will be different than for other products, but hopefully they will change in the OTHER direction!

srobert
Nov 20, 2003, 07:42 AM
You're absloutly right. AppleCare prices should be more scalable.

jcshas
Nov 20, 2003, 08:36 AM
I wonder if the iPod AppleCare program is better than Best Buy's own protection plan. I paid $40 for a 3 year extended warranty at Best Buy, and so far it has been well worth the extra expense. I've had 4 malfunctioning iPods, and Best Buy has replaced them all with a brand new unit. It's hard to beat a service plan like that, especially for the price. I've told everyone I know that is planning to purchase an iPod to get it from Best Buy, and buy the extended warranty coverage!

m.r.m.
Nov 20, 2003, 08:38 AM
looks like apple are vying for a piece of the extended warranty pie compusa and best buy are holding at the moment. i expect apple care to be less benevolent in handing out replacements. some compusa´s and best buy´s even let you upgrade when the next model comes out. :eek:

yoman
Nov 20, 2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by jcshas
I wonder if the iPod AppleCare program is better than Best Buy's own protection plan. I paid $40 for a 3 year extended warranty at Best Buy, and so far it has been well worth the extra expense. I've had 4 malfunctioning iPods, and Best Buy has replaced them all with a brand new unit. It's hard to beat a service plan like that, especially for the price. I've told everyone I know that is planning to purchase an iPod to get it from Best Buy, and buy the extended warranty coverage!

According to the current pricing of applecare:

$169 is for the consumer desktops
$249 for the consumer laptop and pro desktop
$349 for pro laptop

Ipod which is a consumer product and is expected to take a lot of beating should be around ~$40-$60 range. IMHO.
Which could be similar to the best buy plan or a little worse. We'll just have to wait and see.
:D

Edit: fixed $349 to pro laptop not desktop my mistake. Sometimes my fingers just do thier own thing.

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 09:03 AM
I like the idea Apple will extend AppleCare to the iPod. I'm sure it's going to be priced around $40-60 bucks.

I'm sure batteries and case defects are the prime issues with the iPod.

For me I'll probably buy new iPod if it comes out with color screen this coming yr.

raiderz182
Nov 20, 2003, 09:11 AM
how long is original warranty with the ipod?

yoman
Nov 20, 2003, 09:13 AM
Best Buy 4 year (carry-in) coverage (CA)
: $39.99
"This Plan provides complete power surge protection from the date of purchase on the product covered.

This Plan provides coverage for product failures due to dust, heat, humidity and normal wear and tear."

Apple Care possible 3 yr coverage: $$ unknown.

"The plan does NOT cover:
b. Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect...improper environment (including lack of proper temperature and humidity), unusual physical or electrical stress or interference, failure of fluctuation of electrical power...

g.Repair or replacement or maintenance of items that have been subject to wear and tear such as cases, key caps, knobs, batteries, or mechanical parts. "

Hmmm... it looks as though best buy would be the better one already unless Apple offers a cheaper price or alters their current terms and conditions of coverage.

spaced
Nov 20, 2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by yoman
According to the current pricing of applecare:

$169 is for the consumer desktops
$249 for the consumer laptop and pro desktop
$349 for pro desktop


I think you mean $349 for pro laptop.

Also, keep in mind that the AppleCare for PowerBook and PowerMac also cover an Apple display when purchased with the machine. ;)

yoman
Nov 20, 2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by spaced
I think you mean $349 for pro laptop.

Also, keep in mind that the AppleCare for PowerBook and PowerMac also cover an Apple display when purchased with the machine. ;)

That is very true which warrants a higher price for the pro computers for some people. But I am unsure if an Ipod coverage will cover much more than the iPod.

P.S. thanks for the correction the bug has been eliminated. :)

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by raiderz182
how long is original warranty with the ipod?

1 yr. Basically same warranty they use on all their hardware products.


Hmm so if you can get new iPod from BB's from just normal wear and tear what keeps me from getting a new iPod for next 4 yrs?? Seems like BB's would lose money covering normal wear and tear issues.

yoman
Nov 20, 2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
1 yr. Basically same warranty they use on all their hardware products.


Hmm so if you can get new iPod from BB's from just normal wear and tear what keeps me from getting a new iPod for next 4 yrs?? Seems like BB's would lose money covering normal wear and tear issues.

Keep in mind that the product has to malfuntion within that time. If your ipod is working great you can't get it replaced. Another consideration is that the coverage I quoted was for California purchases I didn't feel like checking all the other states just the one I live in. So this aspect may vary from state to state. :)

rwintheiser
Nov 20, 2003, 09:30 AM
Well this is all very cool but my son bought a 10g iPod 1g, with a $50 care package from CompUSA. This covered defective or broken units (can't verify if you trashed it, would they honor the warranty but I think it was for "any" problem). Then the battery started crapping out, took it back, all they had was a 30g 3g, so they gave it to him, and we promptly dropped ANOTHER $50 to make sure we were covered again. My two pennies.

railthinner
Nov 20, 2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by rwintheiser
we promptly dropped ANOTHER $50 to make sure we were covered again. My two pennies.

That sounds like some shady dealings. You shouldn't have to buy a new protection plan. Your new replacement ipod should now be covered for the duration of the original plan. eh?

yoman
Nov 20, 2003, 09:49 AM
Has anyone heard about an ipod battery replacement plan for $99? Will this still be available if an Apple Care coverage is available? It is true though that currently batteries are not covered in Apple Care as quoted above. So if you have an ipod and were to pay $40-60 on the 3 yr coverage would you still have to pay $99 every time your battery decided to give up? Hmm...

simply258
Nov 20, 2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by raiderz182
how long is original warranty with the ipod?
1 year .. like all Apple hardware ..

simply258
Nov 20, 2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Stella
Is this a US only service?
All Apple portable products (iBook, iPod, PowerBook) are covered worldwide, no matter where you buy them from.

docpsycho
Nov 20, 2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by jer2665
after hearing of so many problems with the ipod batteries and harddrives

extended service plan, I believe it was like $50 for 4 years

depending on the price of applecare,


its 4 years for 40 bucks.

Covers the battery and...... covers wear and tear. just does NOT cover obvious misuse and abuse. so don't throw it at the anoying kid sitting in the row in front of you on the plane.

the_dalex
Nov 20, 2003, 10:10 AM
Applecare is significantly cheaper in the educational market, something like a third off. I know that the Powerbook Applecare is only $239, which as someone pointed out also covers an Apple display.

All in all, it's not a bad idea, but it's really a personal decision. The main advantage for average consumers is the three-year phone support, because Apple handles both the OS and the hardware. Try to troubleshoot a Windows driver problem... call Microsoft, call Dell, call the third-party hardware manufacturer... good luck getting them to help you. Laptops can easily cost $400 plus for relatively minor repairs, but I cycle my computer every two years or less so I'm not concerned. I'd rather use that money to buy a new system.

Just a note on extended warranties, but it's pretty common knowledge: those companies make 50% or better margins on warranties, which is why they can afford to pay their salesmen large commissions on those sales, and that's why you get bugged to buy it every time. I've only seen it work out for a few people, most never end up using the warranty at all. It's like gambling or insurance, it can really pay off sometimes if they have to give you a newer/better model.

yoman
Nov 20, 2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by the_dalex
Applecare is significantly cheaper in the educational market, something like a third off. I know that the Powerbook Applecare is only $239, which as someone pointed out also covers an Apple display.

Education prices for Apple Care
$119 consumer desktops
$183 consumer laptop
$199 pro desktop
$239 pro laptop

ncbill
Nov 20, 2003, 10:37 AM
mainly because Applecare (in its latest iteration) specifically excludes batteries as a wear and tear item, while those retail extended service contracts appear not to specifically exclude batteries.

And given my personal experiences with Applecare for the 3 new iBook logic boards I've had, you are likely to have less hassle with a Best Buy where you can walk in and get an immediate replacement.

Apple really gives you the third degree now - asks you time and again are there any scratches or other evidence of damage to your portable?

Well, of course there are scratches - you can't breathe on the iBook's polycarbonate case without generating superficial surface scratches.

But I'm sure not going to tell that to the Applecare rep who is obviously looking for any excuse to deny a valid in-warranty repair.

Expect the same third degree from Apple if you buy Applecare for the iPod.

I'm going to sell my (direct from Apple) iPod before the warranty is up and buy the next one from Best Buy, along with their $50 or less extended service contract

If you are in the market for a new iPod you should do the same.

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 10:49 AM
We do not know if it will cover batteries but it will probably like they do on bad battery on my laptop.

As for getting logic boards replaced...a friend of mine that bought the $999 iBook at CompUSA got both AppleCare and CompUSA insurance for his son.

When the logicboard went out on the first time it took CompUSA here 3 weeks to do something about it. When it happen again he took it to AppleCare and it was replaced in 1 week. He said he wouldn't recommend CompUSA insurance because it just takes them too long to do anything. I met him as I was buying my 15inch PB there.

Gizmotoy
Nov 20, 2003, 11:08 AM
I've traded up numerous broken devices through Best Buy's protection plans. I'm not a big fan of the store itself, but they are extremely lenient about those plans.

A friend of mine (who used to work there) would get a new PDA every 6 months because he'd give the thing a good whack on a desk and trade up to the new model. Definately not the most honest thing to do, for sure, but does show that you'll get very little resistance if you want a new unit to replace your broken one.

gwuMACaddict
Nov 20, 2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Gimzotoy

A friend of mine (who used to work there) would get a new PDA every 6 months because he'd give the thing a good whack on a desk and trade up to the new model. Definately not the most honest thing to do, for sure, but does show that you'll get very little resistance if you want a new unit to replace your broken one.

'my friend' ;) has also had similar results at circuit city and best buy. ;)

that being said, i think apple care for an ipod is sorta worthless. unless they price it reasonably.

hunterhalcomb
Nov 20, 2003, 11:11 AM
I work at compusa, and while there may be problems with the tap plans on computers, the replacement plans on ipods are a steal. Actually, according to company policy, were not supposed to sell it on ipods, but we do anyway. It covers everything, even accidental damage like a drop, and we'll replace it with a new one when you bring it in. I think it's fair to have to buy coverage with every replacement, because of the anything-goes policy. That's just my opinion.

Shadey
Nov 20, 2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by railthinner
That sounds like some shady dealings. You shouldn't have to buy a new protection plan. Your new replacement ipod should now be covered for the duration of the original plan. eh?

It does work that way, but if your iPod breaks 2 years into the extended coverage, then you only have one year on the new iPod, which really does you no good anymore, you've already got the manufacturer's warranty from Apple now. (on the new one)

Think of it this way. You buy the first iPod, get the extra warranty ($50), and say every three years it breaks. You're spending $50 every three years to get a newer, updated iPod model. You will get a new model too, because the middle man (CC & BB) won't have refurbs, they only carry the new stock. Very nice deal on small electronics. When I used to work at BB, people would take advantage of this and say, drop their PDA in water and take it in to get a newer model... :D

If the AppleCare is going to be the same on the iPod, I would say CC & BB's plans are WAY better.

P.S. And keep me out of your dealings... ;)

coumerelli
Nov 20, 2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by spaced
I think you mean $349 for pro laptop.

Also, keep in mind that the AppleCare for PowerBook and PowerMac also cover an Apple display when purchased with the machine. ;)

AND my airport base station I bought with my laptop...all covered

victoras
Nov 20, 2003, 11:35 AM
I had once heard that you can actually purchase a CompUSA extended warranty on a product even if you didn't buy the product from CompUSA. Anyone know if that's true? (it's not easy to find such info on the web site)

SiliconAddict
Nov 20, 2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 1macker1
What a rip. It's not insurance so accidental problems **like drops** are not covered. Just make the damn thing work right and improve your quality control.


OK I can easily see why they don't do this.
Imagine if you will "

hmmm a new iPod model is coming out. Oops I broke the hard drive. (Which has since that time been discontinued.) I guess Apple will have to give me a brand new iPod.

This type of behavior is all too common with PDA's. I'm guessing Apple doesn't want to start dealing with dishonest people and to be fair I think a standard extended warantee is good enough. If you abuse it or **** it up its your fault not Apple's.
Plus you can bet that Apple would jack up the price to an unreasonable level if they did do this. This is a good deal. Don’t complain. Would you prefer they didn’t offer Applecare at all?

As for working right and quality control. Ya right. These devices are thrown in backpacks. Throw in pockets. Overheated in cars. Frozen in cars. And to top it off have a high speed spinning disk that can get messed up. (Imagine jogging with an iPod.)
The warrantee is there to cover hardware defects from everyday use not the occasional drop down the stairs.

mrsebastian
Nov 20, 2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by yoman
Has anyone heard about an ipod battery replacement plan for $99? Will this still be available if an Apple Care coverage is available? It is true though that currently batteries are not covered in Apple Care as quoted above. So if you have an ipod and were to pay $40-60 on the 3 yr coverage would you still have to pay $99 every time your battery decided to give up? Hmm...

that's exactly what pisses me off! it sucks that i'm going to give apple $500 for an mp3 player and $50 (guessing) for applecare. then in a year or so, i gotta dish out another $100, all because apple used a faulty battery in the first place and it's not covered under applercare... wtf!

ubadojw1
Nov 20, 2003, 12:18 PM
The iPod warranty has now been updated to cover the product for one year, however after the first 90 days have passed if your iPod requires service you must pay $30 to send the unit in for warranty repair. If Applecare comes out for the iPod $40-60 seems like a reasonable price range, but most likely it will not cover battery replacement since they just announced a $99 battery replacement program. And to those complaining about AppleCare not covering "dropped" products. NO WARRANTY, extended or not covers physical damage.

Dippo
Nov 20, 2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
This type of behavior is all too common with PDA's. I'm guessing Apple doesn't want to start dealing with dishonest people and to be fair I think a standard extended warantee is good enough. If you abuse it or **** it up its your fault not Apple's.


I had this happen to me when I broke the screen on my PDA. I bought the Bestbuy extended warranty, and the guy who sold it to me said that it covered broken screens. Boy was he a LIAR! Not only could I not get back the $50 I spent on the warranty, I had to buy a new screen.

Of course I had a laptop that I snapped the power jack off the motherboard and I took it in for service and they fixed it for free.

Except for things that are clearly abuse or damage caused by the user, I think that it will be covered.

MacFan26
Nov 20, 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by clonenode
The biggest misconception about AppleCare is that it provides insurance style "coverage" against accidental damage. It does not.


Yeah, I think people need to remember that. My mom tripped on her ethernet cord and ripped the entire side panel of ports out of her iBook. And she thought some of it should have been taken care of with AppleCare, but she ended up spending some $400 to fix everything. AppleCare doesn't cover accidents!

Dippo
Nov 20, 2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by MacFan26
Yeah, I think people need to remember that. My mom tripped on her ethernet cord and ripped the entire side panel of ports out of her iBook. And she thought some of it should have been taken care of with AppleCare, but she ended up spending some $400 to fix everything. AppleCare doesn't cover accidents!

I would think that Apple should cover manufacturing defects for free for life!

That being said, I am sure that you can buy actual insurance somewhere that covers accidental damage. They have it for cars, and some Macs cost more than some cars!

peterjhill
Nov 20, 2003, 12:54 PM
Dell allows you to get coverage similar to the current AppleCare, but also has an optional Complete Care program. It is more expensive but covers any damage or problems. You could take a sledge to your Dell Laptop and the next day they would come and replace it so it was as good as new (or at least as good as refurbished).

Apple needs to offer similar options for their machines, at least for laptops.

As for iPod coverage, I think that 40 dollars would be the most anyone would spend, any more than that and no one would purchase the coverage.

I do think that Apple should extend AppleCare to iPods purchased with a CPU, as the do with Displays. I got applecare for my new G5. If I never use, i will be a happy camper.

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 01:15 PM
The battery replacement program will be probably phased out as soon as the AppleCare program comes out.

Apple only started the battery replacement program is the cure folks with defective battery issues.

Like all AppleCare on Laptops it will also cover the battery.

If CC and BB have programs like that..all it will mean is that Apple will sell more and more iPods because if folks bring one in every 6 months and it gets replaced by new one..so no matter what Apple will make more profits because of this.
Talk to a friend at CompUSA and he said they sold 100 iPods over last week. He said they are having problems now keeping them in stock.

johnnyjibbs
Nov 20, 2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Dippo
I would think that Apple should cover manufacturing defects for free for life!
If they did that, they would have gone bust years ago. In 4 years I could take my worn out PB 12" 1GHz and get it replaced with a PB12" G6 8GHz for free. Then in another few years...:D

That being said, I am sure that you can buy actual insurance somewhere that covers accidental damage. They have it for cars, and some Macs cost more than some cars!
You may even be covered on your house insurance, although it's a bit of a grey area when you are out and about with a laptop or iPod! (All credit card purchases have limited cover also - you may not get it replaced, but they may cough up something if it gets nicked).

Shadey
Nov 20, 2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
The battery replacement program will be probably phased out as soon as the AppleCare program comes out.

I thought the battery replacement was for people who purchased their iPod without the opportunity to purchase the extended AppleCare...

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Shadey
I thought the battery replacement was for people who purchased their iPod without the opportunity to purchase the extended AppleCare...

You know I didn't think about 1,2 gen users...with that standing then I bet the AppleCare program probably will only cover new sells and folks that bought gen 3 that are still under their 1 yr warranties.

crazytom
Nov 20, 2003, 01:56 PM
AppleCare specifically says that it only covers 'Apple branded' items. Who knows what is Apple branded inside an iPod? I've always 'burned in' my electronic gear when I get it (run it constantly for at least a week)...if anything is going to break, it most likely will be in that initial period.

I bring this up because I had a bad video card in my G4 Dual MDD...Apple wouldn't replace it, I had to contact ATI (and ATI didn't send me a loaner while my card was being fixed). I haven't had very good experiences dealing with Apple (especially with my MDD). I never get the extended coverage either, Apple gets enough of my money as it is.

tex210
Nov 20, 2003, 02:25 PM
For the iPod to get Applecare, I am hoping it has entered a new phase, capable of text input I hope.... let's just call it the newton II. I know you are all sick of it, but come on!

humangod
Nov 20, 2003, 02:36 PM
hello.

what applecare covers:

if hardware that "ships" with the computer, out of the factory, fails under normal conditions, that part will be replaced, fixed, or a comparable part will be put in its place. all the hardware, such as hdd's, video cards, etc that are put into the computer at the factory are "apple branded." i.e. the hdd may be made by toshiba, but it bears the apple logo on it. that is what apple branded means. everything inside an ipod is apple branded.

in regards to batteries: batteries are just covered if there is a defect, or if it malfunctions. i.e. if the battery is not recognized by the computer, it will not charge, etc. i'm not talking about lasting 5 min, i'm talking about not charging. the battery is a "consumable part." it will be used up. just like your car battery, when it is used up, your warranty does not cover it. you will have to buy a new one. on all apple portable computers and ipods, if the battery exibits signs of defects or if it is malfunctioning, it will be covered under the applecare or warranty. if it is just "used up," it's time for you to buy a new battery.

the applecare also covers something that compusa and best buy does not offer: unlimited telephone support.

compusa's plan is like this: you have a 12 inch powerbook, 1g. it is 7 months old. you have compusa's warranty. you get a flashing mark when your computer starts up. this can be the cause of many different things. but let's say you don't know much about computers. you call compusa to get your computer serviced under their warranty. they will refer you to apple because your computer is still covered under the apple warranty. when you call apple, you are outside of your 90 days phone support, but within your 1 yr warranty. if they fix it over the phone, "you" are charged for the phone call because it was not a hardware failure. compusa will not reimburse you for that. you just paid twice for service on your computer

now let's say you have the applecare. same situation as above. you call up apple, and they can fix it over the phone. i.e. no hw failure. you're not charged extra, because the applecare already covers the phone support.

don't think i know what i'm talking about? look at my profile.

itsbetteronamac
Nov 20, 2003, 05:09 PM
I am probaly going to get an ipod for x-mas and I would love to have an extended warrenty. But, what I really want is some "insurance" for when I acidently drop it and it goes comppoey.

CompUSAMacNerd
Nov 20, 2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by hunterhalcomb
I work at compusa, and while there may be problems with the tap plans on computers, the replacement plans on ipods are a steal. Actually, according to company policy, were not supposed to sell it on ipods, but we do anyway. It covers everything, even accidental damage like a drop, and we'll replace it with a new one when you bring it in. I think it's fair to have to buy coverage with every replacement, because of the anything-goes policy. That's just my opinion.


As my user name states. I obviously work at compusa also, and there is no such thing as a rule saying that we can not sell replacement plans on iPods.

Who gave you that misleading information? :) An iPod, like any other peripherial, is covered under that Tap policy. :>

Jason-
Proud Apple Care seller at the #1 apple sales compusa in their region.

CompUSAMacNerd
Nov 20, 2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by humangod
hello.

what applecare covers:

compusa's plan is like this: you have a 12 inch powerbook, 1g. it is 7 months old. you have compusa's warranty. you get a flashing mark when your computer starts up. this can be the cause of many different things. but let's say you don't know much about computers. you call compusa to get your computer serviced under their warranty. they will refer you to apple because your computer is still covered under the apple warranty. when you call apple, you are outside of your 90 days phone support, but within your 1 yr warranty. if they fix it over the phone, "you" are charged for the phone call because it was not a hardware failure. compusa will not reimburse you for that. you just paid twice for service on your computer

don't think i know what i'm talking about? look at my profile.

CompUSA's Tap plan covers phone support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, regardless if its Apple or not. If you do decide to call CompUSA on a warranty issue, they won't make you call Apple, they'll tell you to take it to the local service center/store, which for you would be Sac Town or N. Sac (roseville), and then we ship it straight to Apple for that first year, under Apple care.

In my 5 years experience there, handling Apple sales and tech support, I never made any of my customers call Apple first, regardless if its in the first year of warranty. BTW. I'm in the next Compusa over from you :)

CompUSAMacNerd
Nov 20, 2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by victoras
I had once heard that you can actually purchase a CompUSA extended warranty on a product even if you didn't buy the product from CompUSA. Anyone know if that's true? (it's not easy to find such info on the web site)

This is true. Just bring your product in to any compusa with your receipt, and we do what we call a Tap modification form. Pretty much you pay for the warranty, and we fax the sheet and a copy of your receipt to our program, and.. ta da, its covered. Long as you got a serial number, its cool :)

coumerelli
Nov 20, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by CompUSAMacNerd
This is true. Just bring your product in to any compusa with your receipt, and we do what we call a Tap modification form. Pretty much you pay for the warranty, and we fax the sheet and a copy of your receipt to our program, and.. ta da, its covered. Long as you got a serial number, its cool :)

weird :confused: ........but cool! :cool: :D

crazytom
Nov 21, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by humangod
hello.

what applecare covers:

if hardware that "ships" with the computer, out of the factory, fails under normal conditions, that part will be replaced, fixed, or a comparable part will be put in its place. all the hardware, such as hdd's, video cards, etc that are put into the computer at the factory are "apple branded." i.e. the hdd may be made by toshiba, but it bears the apple logo on it. that is what apple branded means. everything inside an ipod is apple branded.

<snip>

don't think i know what i'm talking about? look at my profile.

Funny, I thought I just mentioned Apple NOT covering an ATI video card because it wasn't Apple Branded; and yes, it was installed at the factory. AFAIK, whatever part inside a machine must have an official Apple logo on it to be covered. I am curious to know if anyone has cracked open their iPod to see exactly what is Apple branded in it.

yoman
Nov 21, 2003, 10:33 AM
Go to

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9404LL/A


$59 and includes battery coverage for 2 yrs.

Hmmm

Edit: coverage is actually for 2 years not 3 years

crazytom
Nov 21, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by yoman
Go to

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9404LL/A


$59 and includes battery coverage for 2 yrs.

Hmmm

Edit: coverage is actually for 2 years not 3 years

That's not a bad deal, especially if you get heavy use out of your iPod.

I think it's interesting that they include software updates and web-based support files as part of the package---doesn't everyone have access to that anyway?

legion
Nov 21, 2003, 07:54 PM
That's two years total (including the original 1 year of the product) That is NOT a good deal at $60. So it's only the addition of 1 year.

Best Buy gives you 4 years at about $40.