PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar Reviewed...

arn
May 9, 2002, 06:29 AM
foniksonik provided this MacThis (http://macthis.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=1&page=1) link which has a review of Jaguar with screenshots.

And Cyril lets us know that MacGeneration (http://www.macgeneration.com/mgnews/depeche.php?aIdDepeche=6673) has a screenshot and description of scanner support in Jaguar.

peterjhill
May 9, 2002, 06:59 AM
MacThis 467 guests, 0 registered users. Looks like their site is getting slashdotted (or Macrumor'd).

j763
May 9, 2002, 07:00 AM
I was at SpyMac.com earlier and noticed that these are the exact same screenshots as part of their WWDC 'coverage'... I don't have much doubt about who copied who...

Spymac sucks!

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 08:03 AM
I've tried twice now to connect to the site and its not worked both times, anyone else have this problem?

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I've tried twice now to connect to the site and its not worked both times, anyone else have this problem?

I cannot get their either Duke. If anyone can get there, try to post info here about description pics, etc.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet

no dice here either...

are the shots anything like the Jaguar movies that came out about 3-4 months ago??

nero007
May 9, 2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by j763
I was at SpyMac.com earlier and noticed that these are the exact same screenshots as part of their WWDC 'coverage'... I don't have much doubt about who copied who...

Spymac sucks!

As much as you don't care for this site, it has become one of the two biggest Mac Rumors®©™ sites. Too bad they had to start off being shady.

---------
Jason

"Long live ARN!"

britboy
May 9, 2002, 09:18 AM
odd. I can get the pages with no problem. It takes a heck of a long time to load, but it does eventually. I'll post the images if you like.

The first excerpt:
Wow, was my first impression as I installed and booted up into Jaguar OS X 10.2 tonight. I was truly astonished on its power and speed, and most of all, its incredible new features. Through this review I will show you most of the new features of OS X. There are more than 50 images in this review, and they are not small, so bandwith users: beware. I wish I could show everyone every feature of OS X, but that review would be incredibly long, and I don't think I want to spend that much time taking screenshots of everything thats new in the wonderful operating system, but I hope everyone will be satisfied with all that is shown here so far.

edit: scratch the pictures. They've got them (and more) at spymac.

deejemon
May 9, 2002, 11:35 AM

BeerDrinker29
May 9, 2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by deejemon
The website is overloaded, and the images were being hosted on an iTools/Mac.com account, which enables Apple to pull them, and it looks like they have.

Obviously not very bright putting them on an Apple server.

And it says they published the report on May 5th!? Really; so a report about iChat came out a day before anyone knew and no one took notice. Whatever

BeerDrinker29
May 9, 2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by j763

Spymac sucks!

Why do they suck?????? They have had BY FAR the best WWDC coverage. If the images are the same, who cares, they still have many of their "own".

cleo
May 9, 2002, 12:21 PM
Spymac has a ton of screenshots up.

All I can say is, based on what I've seen so far, the speed of 10.2 better be fricking incredible, because the added features (especially iChat... what a joke compared to Adium) don't seem all that remarkable.

Grokgod
May 9, 2002, 12:49 PM
Well, Mac this, gives it a WOW for speed but not in a ny worthwhile context!

Is he on a g4 400 or sitting in Jobs office playing ona G6?

Personally I think that he is on Pamela Andersons special dual boob machine.
Of course it would be fast on that, I mean who wouldnt?

p03
May 9, 2002, 01:44 PM
Okay, guys, I've just seen an early build of Jaguar. I think it was called 6-something-35. It ran on a 800 MHz iMac.

Speed was exactly the same as Puma, so no news there, though the guy who showed me said that he thought it was perhaps a little bit faster. Obviously, there was no sign of Quartz Extreme: that would probably come later; I'm not sure if anyone outside Apple has seen that. Did SJ even demo it? That feature had better be huge...!

This build also didn't have Sherlock 3 due to some screwup.

But what it did have is a few niceties. Here's my list.

Docked documents
This was rumored before, but no reports I've read confirmed it, so I had to try myself. After you minimize a document to the Dock, you can drag it out of the Dock, and it will float on your screen, on top of everything. It will still have the miniature application icon superimposed over it. You'll be able to move the minimized document, and also close it by CTRL-clicking or clicking and holding (a contextual menu will come up). (You can close a Docked document the same way.) Double-clicking a minimized document will restore it to its original size.
I hoped there would be a way to minimize a document in-place directly, but looks like you need to dock it first, and drag from there. I couldn't find a preference anywhere to change that behavior, hopefully a Terminal trick will at least be available. Minimization in place would be a great replacement for window shades.

Find File is back!
Those of you who think Sherlock is quickly evolving into bloatware, and becoming largely useless for searching local volumes, should rejoice: pressing Command + F in the Finder now brings up a streamlined, simple Find File dialog, similar to what Mac OS 8 had! Sherlock is now an Internet search utility (though I couldn't test it myself). You can also enter search criteria in a Finder window, but you'll need to press Return to begin the search (unlike in iTunes or Mail). If you click on the word "Search" below the search box, the Find File dialog will appear. These two are the ways to look for files -- and I love both, especially compared to the bloated and stupid Sherlock.

Get Info changes
As seen on screen shots, Get Info can now display all of its panes simultaneously, you can control that with disclosure triangles. You can also open multiple Get Info windows, just like in OS 9 and before: changing your selection in the Finder won't change any open Get Info windows. There are some other subtle changes I didn't memorize -- go look at the screen shots.

ZoomRects everywhere
Actually, they are opaque zooms; I think you can hack Puma to have them as well?? Anyway, whether you open or close a folder, you'll see this animation. Spring-loaded folders have them too.

There were some other subtle changes too, most of them have been documented elsewhere. There are big things as well, like network protocols and such. I looked for interface changes mostly, and never connected to the Internet, so I don't know anything about that.

Feel free to ask questions, I must have forgotten a lot of stuff. I played with Jaguar for about an hour and a half, will go back tomorrow.

McFreggle
May 9, 2002, 03:28 PM
I saw the screenshots, and I must say: it all looks very neat!

k.

Kid Red
May 9, 2002, 07:15 PM
Not sure about the quartz extreme, but resizing windows and DEFINATELY scale effect is alot faster. Scale effect is so fast I barely see it go (dual gig) as for other notes-

-Dock is now line-less, smooth and clean
-Minimized windows get app icon, drag the mini window to the desktop to play tennis
-Midi Audio Setup utility
-System Profiler is different layout
-Digital Hub prefs like-
When disk is inserted <choose to open with iTunes>
When camera is connected <choose to open with iPhoto>
You have different options, scanner options, etc for music, disks, movies, photos, etc.
-Energy saver can set sleep for 3 hours now
-Spring loaded folders rock, they use scale effect. In column view, dragging from one window to another slides over a new column. However, if you are dragging within the same window, it will scale effect a new window. So new spring columns in same window.
-Change fonts from 12, 11, or 10pt. This doesn't work well on the desktop icons tho. In the finder it works fine although no space is gained as icons spacing remains the same.
-Icons on desktop can have name under or to the right as option
-Is a little faster, resizing is smooth, menus are fast, (on a dual gig so hard to say how fast)
-Sys prefs for scrolling (speed setting)
-No inkwell
-Contextual Menus are still slow
-IE still sucks (b&w beachball)
-Have only seen the new aqua drop twice for a split second. It's a aqua drop with 2 opposing arrows facing each other and spins.
-Can no longer copy and paste icons thru get info window
-New info windows with collapsable panes
-Open and closing files is all with scale effect. It flies to and from where its opened from (like springloaded folders)
-Alert and dialog windows expand downwards from the title bar now (quickly but smoothly)
-Stable so far, but I haven't done much.
-Mail.app now has junk filters and hiliting
-Mail.app has small icons or large icons
-New mail inbox icons
-Mail.app now has a progress bar where it shows "connecting, receiving file :title" etc at the top
-More options for downloading mail off server
-New mouse cursor. It has white outline with slight drop shadow. Doesn't work in all apps, maybe cocoa apps only? Reverts to old cursor with iTunes i.e.

deejemon
May 9, 2002, 09:36 PM

Kid Red
May 9, 2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by deejemon
>Have only seen the new aqua drop twice for a split second.
>It's a aqua drop with 2 opposing arrows facing each other and spins.

Pardon my ignorance; what do you mean by "aqua drop"?

The colored beach ball (cursor) is gone. Replaced by an 'aqua' style circluar drop. However, you don't see it very often which is a good thing, when you do, it's not as bad to watch as the beachball was.

j763
May 10, 2002, 01:06 AM
SpyMac sucks because they rip stuff off other websites and say it's their own.... They don't give the website any credit. The only thing they did do on their own was the whole iWalk fake...

foniks2020
May 10, 2002, 01:58 AM
Despite an earlier problem with the graphics not loading or something, they are back to normal now and it appears that Apple has not pulled access or requested any pull of them.

"
Notice: Apple has removed the screenshots from my iDisk. Because of the fact that I don't want a major lawsuit against myself any time soon, I'm going to just live with it. I'm sorry about this, but spymac will still have their images up, I believe. So, even though they stole my images, it's better that they can actually keep letting people view them. See you all next beta seed!

Update: looks like the images weren't removed, just weren't being displayed earlier. Don't ask me what happened, because I have no idea what was going on. Anyways, keep viewing the images!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"

The Bender
May 10, 2002, 04:40 AM
Images loading instantaniously over here. How come I've never run across MacThis before?

The Bender is pretty chufffed by what he sees. It really seems that they have been listening to the users! X has certainly been very rough around the edges, particularly following on from Classic, with it's many years of optimization. The frills don't interest The Bender much, but he feels that simple stuff like the HD search, pop-ups, and window minimization, etc. will make a big difference.

It is a bit confusing that while M$ are being ripped for lashing too much to the OS, Apple are getting dangerously close to the same situation. The Bender doesn't have an opinion on that at the moment.

Longey Nowze
May 10, 2002, 07:59 AM
I haven't seen anyone talk about this... maybe cuz it doesn't affect you much... but what languages are supported by jaguar? there are many many missing languages in OS X which is what is keeping a lot of people from upgrading and if they have to upgrade.. some of them are buying wintels... so anyone who's tried a copy can you please tell me if they have new languages? or if they are just the same old ones?

THANK YOU
MaT

Remus
May 10, 2002, 10:03 AM
It looks like he is using a 500 MHZ G-4 with a Rage 128 video card. :)
So it looks like 10.2 will be very useful even on older macs.

Remus
May 10, 2002, 10:06 AM
Correct that he has a dual 500

mywar2000
May 10, 2002, 02:33 PM
Did anyone notice under the MOUSE PREF'S:

Tracking Speed
Double-click Speed

AND

SCROLLING SPEED!

2 button mouse W/ SCROLL wheel here we come!!

Check it out:
http://macthis.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=1&page=13

pascalpp
May 10, 2002, 07:31 PM
could someone kindly post a direct link to the screenshots of jaguar, on spymac or elsewhere? all i can seem to find in spymac's gallery are photos of the keynote itself.

thanks in advance,

-p

Kid Red
May 10, 2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by mywar2000
Did anyone notice under the MOUSE PREF'S:

Tracking Speed
Double-click Speed

AND

SCROLLING SPEED!

2 button mouse W/ SCROLL wheel here we come!!

Check it out:
http://macthis.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=1&page=13

Yea it's cool. The digital hub prefs are better. Choose what action you want when certain devices are connected. A whole bunch of new stuff is in it:)

foniks2020
May 11, 2002, 05:57 AM
" If anyone is wondering exactly what Quartz Extreme could do, here's a screenshot [mycom.co.jp].

There's a DVD playing. The teacups are floating around from a different application. They are chrome.

They are reflecting in real time what the movie is playing.

(probably why it won't work on my Rage 128)"

Any Questions?

Tiauguinho
May 11, 2002, 07:45 AM
Do you have any more photos from Quartz Extreme?

The Bender
May 12, 2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Longey Nowze
I haven't seen anyone talk about this... maybe cuz it doesn't affect you much... but what languages are supported by jaguar? there are many many missing languages in OS X which is what is keeping a lot of people from upgrading and if they have to upgrade.. some of them are buying wintels... so anyone who's tried a copy can you please tell me if they have new languages? or if they are just the same old ones?

THANK YOU
MaT

It would be very, very nice to have Hebrew support at long last. And I guess Arabic is in the same boat. It's a big market that's being sent slowly over to the Dark Side. What's most frustrating is that all the nuts and bolts are already there in the system, even right-to-left text support. With Unicode support, X was practically built for the international market, but somewhere there's a road-block. As far as I know, even Cyrillic has only been made to work through user hacks.

It wouldn't be difficult, so how about it? Any news?

Wry Cooter
May 12, 2002, 10:38 AM
If there has been anything I have been waiting for from mac, its flying silver teacups reflecting my DVD movies in realtime! Why can't windows have anything this useful?;)

Find File is back? That is really my main concern a workable finder. For those of you that have played with jaguar... does command F bring up an EXTENDED find dialog as well, where I could find files by creator and type, etc...? That is ALL i ever used in sherlock. It is also vital that you be able to drag and drop a file to this dialog to fill in creator and type, etc..., which is a bit more difficult in OS X due to the way resource fork info is handled.

Considering that even with the forced filing discipline separating apps from docs that OS X will place on us, there are a lot of files due to their invisibility, that we cannot find so easily by locale, a good finder is fairly important, especially as HD sizes climb.

Q-bert
May 12, 2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Wry Cooter
If there has been anything I have been waiting for from mac, its flying silver teacups reflecting my DVD movies in realtime! Why can't windows have anything this useful?;)

Relax, that's just a demo that shows off what's possible in a OS X programmer's hands. It doesn't mean it's intended as an actual example of something people would do with their Macs in real life - remember, this was a DEVELOPER'S conference, they get jazzed over programming possibilities, so demos like that are more interesting to them than the rest of us. Wait and see what they end up doing with all that power, that's when the real excitement happens.

If I use my imagination, I can think of a lot of things to do with combining 2D windows and 3D elements like that.

Wry Cooter
May 12, 2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Q-bert

Relax, that's just a demo that shows off what's possible in a OS X programmer's hands.

I was relaxed. Heck, one of my eyes was practically asleep, see;)

I still want to know, can you find a file by resource fork info creator and type, in Jaguar?
That is ALL I ever used sherlock for. I don't remember if it was a function of find file before Sherlock, it probably was. Now that Sherlock is apparently Watson, I want to know if Find File was all it used to be. I need to create custom search criteria on more than mere name of file.

Sherlock wasn't that bad early on, despite the unwindowshadable chrome frame, if you had a fast web connection. It could pull up multiple searches fast. Then the search engines stopped playing along as well.. they didn't want meta tools bypassing their banner ads, so any sherlock search soon became pretty much of a joke.

cleo
May 12, 2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red

-New mouse cursor. It has white outline with slight drop shadow. Doesn't work in all apps, maybe cocoa apps only? Reverts to old cursor with iTunes i.e.

How frickin' annoying will that be?! It's bad enough to get the old-school B&W spinning watch here and there, but having my cursor shift every time I switch apps seems like it would drive me up the frickin' wall. Grrr.

GeneralAntilles
May 12, 2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by cleo

How frickin' annoying will that be?! It's bad enough to get the old-school B&W spinning watch here and there, but having my cursor shift every time I switch apps seems like it would drive me up the frickin' wall. Grrr.

It isn't that noticeable, the cursors aren't different enough that your eyes jump to it every time it changes...

foniks2020
May 14, 2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Q-bert

If I use my imagination, I can think of a lot of things to do with combining 2D windows and 3D elements like that.

...and it's not just 2D/3D, it's also video. This turns your desktop into what all us sci-fi geeks have been waiting our whole lives to use.

Think back to all the cool interfaces from all the best movies/cartoons you've ever seen... that's what QE can do and much more. The hard part is going to be designing 'good' interfaces that are usable, as usable as the old 2D w/ z-dimension that we're used to.

I can't wait to be able to pan my desktop around one of my storage polyhedons and pick the method I would like to interact with the document on the 15th face.

I also want to have a 3D map of TLOTR serve as my finder and store my documents in appropriate environments as a method of encryption. Guess the riddle of Smaug or you'll never see my financials!!!

sluthy
May 14, 2002, 02:04 AM
I was happy to hear about SMB browsing and sharing. Does this now mean that my Wintel can see my iMac? Finally.

Also, does Rendezvous work with OS 9 or Windows? Right now, I have my entire music library on both the Wintel AND the iMac, and I'm running out of space. What's the deal with Rendezvous?

Jays
May 14, 2002, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by The Bender

It would be very, very nice to have Hebrew support at long last. And I guess Arabic is in the same boat. It's a big market that's being sent slowly over to the Dark Side. What's most frustrating is that all the nuts and bolts are already there in the system, even right-to-left text support. With Unicode support, X was practically built for the international market, but somewhere there's a road-block. As far as I know, even Cyrillic has only been made to work through user hacks.

It wouldn't be difficult, so how about it? Any news?

I agree, I actually posted here about that last week but no one took any notice.
bender you can read hebrew mail and surf just about any web page using Mozzila build 0.98 and higher, as for writing in Hebrew you can copy the Keyboard extras from OS9 and put them in the System of X, then you get the hebrew keyboard in the menu.

by the way there is also Meller for X a shareware simple word prossesor for Hebrew. still I would rather see it integrated into the OS.

M$ has pretty much monopolies the Hebrew market with there dirty tricks like pulling out Hebrew support from IE and Office on the Mac, used to work but no more!