PDA

View Full Version : Found a powerbook g4 12" 1.5ghz barely used still new really want it but..

jjahshik32
May 11, 2008, 12:27 AM
But its going to cost me $900. Its not for performance really (of course) but its for my love for the 12". This machine is practically brand new as the original owner bought it in 2006 just when it was discontinued and only used about 20 hours (also indicated on the battery life as well). The build quality is brand spanking new and its the closest I'll ever come to finding it this brand new.

I just love the 12" powerbook and I already own a 15" mbp but I'd love to own a 2nd hand laptop just to take around with me for webbrowsing and mail kind of stuff.. I know I can get a macbook.. but I still want that 12" powerbook!

My question is that anyone here have good/bad experiences with a powerbook g4 12" 1.5Ghz model?? I'm just afraid that since its new and what if the logic board fails in the next 6-12 months!! I'd keep this powerbook until it dies and keep it as a collectors item/just lust but I want it to be able to function 6-8 years!

I know at least with the 2-3 year old powerbooks from sellers on ebay I would at least know that it ran fine for those years but I'm scared about brand new powerbook that hasnt been used in the past 2 years.

e12a
May 11, 2008, 12:33 AM
If you got the money and you want it, then go for it.

Computers are not like automobiles...even if you dont use them for years, they should fire up just fine. automobiles on the other hand, definitely should get checked up if left sitting for a month.

if you really want to test it, run the "yes" loop in terminal. run a few simultaneous "yes" terminal windows to make it interesting.

jjahshik32
May 11, 2008, 02:16 AM

Computers are not like automobiles...even if you dont use them for years, they should fire up just fine. automobiles on the other hand, definitely should get checked up if left sitting for a month.

if you really want to test it, run the "yes" loop in terminal. run a few simultaneous "yes" terminal windows to make it interesting.

I do have the money for it.. but after seeing this geekbench score:

PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.5 GHz)
PowerPC G4 @ 1.50 GHz 639

I think I'm starting to shy away from it again, even if its brand new.. I wonder how well leopard will run on the 12".

But then I did say performance does not matter.. long as I can surf the web, check email, watch a dvd/divx (non hd I know it wont run 720p/1080p stuff).

giantrobot
May 11, 2008, 04:54 AM
I have that same powerbook and I still use it as my main travel notebook. I have been waiting for Apple to come out with another 12 inch build but I am not sure if this will happen any time soon with the Mac Air out there.

It runs 10.5 fine and the build quality is excellent even by Apple standards. I have had it since 2005 and it has been put to heavy use and bumped through many airport security checks. It even has a dent in it but still works fine. In my opinion, it is also the best looking notebook Apple has ever put out there.

The processor speed and the non-intel chip are significant drawbacks but its fine for browsing and watching DVDs on the plane. The screen actually covers a bit more real estate than you would think as its taller than the Macbook screen. The internal speakers sound surprisingly good (much better than the Macbook speakers) but I imagine you will use headphones for this.

One additional drawback is the hard disk space so you may need to spend a bit more to upgrade the hard drive as well. You should also max out the ram.

There is certainly the temptation to upgrade to the Macbook or even a Macbook Pro and the inability to run Parallels or Bootcamp is a major drawback. However, in my case, I have come to terms with the fact that there is nothing I need to do on this powerbook that requires any of this.

raymondu999
May 11, 2008, 05:37 AM
I miss that size. I had that powerbook (not the latest build, can't remember what speed the proc was at) but then when the final build came out, and it provided only 1.5GHz as opposed to the 15 and 17's 1.67, I converted over to 15... I love specs...:D

cloudnine
May 11, 2008, 01:22 PM

I feel stupid for asking, but what is the "yes" loop in terminal? I've never heard of that...

cloudnine
May 11, 2008, 01:28 PM
I just love the 12" powerbook and I already own a 15" mbp but I'd love to own a 2nd hand laptop just to take around with me for webbrowsing and mail kind of stuff.. I know I can get a macbook.. but I still want that 12" powerbook!

I say go for it... I've said it before and I'll say it again... My PBG4 is the best machine I've ever used. I've had it for almost 3 years (AppleCare is up in either September or October) and I've had barely an issue with it. My SuperDrive conked out for a little, but that was covered by AC. It runs Leopard great, and as you already know, it's the perfect size for being on-the-go :)

My question is that anyone here have good/bad experiences with a powerbook g4 12" 1.5Ghz model?? I'm just afraid that since its new and what if the logic board fails in the next 6-12 months!! I'd keep this powerbook until it dies and keep it as a collectors item/just lust but I want it to be able to function 6-8 years!

This is the only thing that worries me. I don't doubt that the PowerBook would be able to function for that long, but the question is what type of software do you expect to be using for that amount of time. I can't run Office 2008 on mine (well, I can, but it's extraordinarily slow) or Adobe CS3... so if you don't mind using software that's around now in the year 2016, then yeah, you're fine. Otherwise, don't plan on running (much) new software in the coming years...

Bobioden
May 11, 2008, 01:35 PM
And you haven't bought a new laptop is like what, 2 days??? :)

I say if you want it go for it, if not you will always wish you had. If worse come to worse, you can always sell it.

IDANNY
May 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
best computer I ever owned. wish apple would make something in the same form factor but a mbp.

Adokimus
May 11, 2008, 01:47 PM
$900 is rip-off. Sorry.

-Ado

e12a
May 11, 2008, 02:16 PM
I feel stupid for asking, but what is the "yes" loop in terminal? I've never heard of that...

try it on your iMac. ;)

type "yes" (w/o quotes) in your terminal window.

jjahshik32
May 11, 2008, 02:20 PM
I say go for it... I've said it before and I'll say it again... My PBG4 is the best machine I've ever used. I've had it for almost 3 years (AppleCare is up in either September or October) and I've had barely an issue with it. My SuperDrive conked out for a little, but that was covered by AC. It runs Leopard great, and as you already know, it's the perfect size for being on-the-go :)

This is the only thing that worries me. I don't doubt that the PowerBook would be able to function for that long, but the question is what type of software do you expect to be using for that amount of time. I can't run Office 2008 on mine (well, I can, but it's extraordinarily slow) or Adobe CS3... so if you don't mind using software that's around now in the year 2016, then yeah, you're fine. Otherwise, don't plan on running (much) new software in the coming years...

Thanks alot for the comment, thanks to this comment I came to my senses and wont be buying and rather save mtself the $900 on a future upgrade. :)

tringo
May 11, 2008, 02:21 PM
try it on your iMac. ;)

type "yes" (w/o quotes) in your terminal window.

Nothing happened. Just a load of 'y's over and over.

e12a
May 11, 2008, 02:28 PM

it does that and also works your CPU to death, unless your fans can save it.

good way to test if your fans are working. Leave it running for a few minutes, and run multiple windows of "yes"

orpheus1120
May 11, 2008, 02:31 PM
But its going to cost me $900. Its not for performance really (of course) but its for my love for the 12". This machine is practically brand new as the original owner bought it in 2006 just when it was discontinued and only used about 20 hours (also indicated on the battery life as well). The build quality is brand spanking new and its the closest I'll ever come to finding it this brand new.

I know at least with the 2-3 year old powerbooks from sellers on ebay I would at least know that it ran fine for those years but I'm scared about brand new powerbook that hasnt been used in the past 2 years.

You change macs faster than my girlfriend changes her panties.:)

Which mac do you own right now? I thought I read somewhere you just gotten a mb?

jjahshik32
May 11, 2008, 04:08 PM

Which mac do you own right now? I thought I read somewhere you just gotten a mb?

I had the macbook but it had alot of problems with it, including audio popping issue, full colors smeared and fading and freezing upon rebooting, sometimes hdd wont pick.

Now I have the 15" 2.4ghz mbp and its the best quality led screen that Ive seen! Ive been through 10-14 mbp (had it exchanged 4 times each at 2 different applestores due tl yellowing toward bottom and not just slight but horribly yellow and color washed out lg screens but no yellowing towards the bottom) so far since last year and this screen a 9c80 is by far the most vivid/evenly lit/no yellowing toward the bottom/led screen that Ive seen.

And only the nehalem mbp rev b will make me upgrade. :)

kockgunner
May 11, 2008, 05:20 PM
$900 is rip-off. Sorry.

-Ado

I agree. $900 is a bit steep.

jjahshik32
May 11, 2008, 06:34 PM
I agree. $900 is a bit steep.

I might have bit for even $700 though.. but the guy insists that since its brand new... =/

iToaster
May 11, 2008, 07:05 PM
Not worth it in my oppinion. While certainly I think that my 12" PB is the best notebook ever made by Apple and that the MBA is just beating around the bush, $900 for a "new" PB is not worth it. I got mine for $650 and it's maxed out with not much damage to it save a dent on the back. Mac2Sell quotes $600 for a maxed machine (like new at that), so I would absolutely not get cheated out of a good $300, seeing that in addition to that, the machine in question is really probably not maxed out. I'd say only buy it if you really want it, but I wouldn't go for one if it's $900. From experience with mine, I must say a refurbished MacBook would make you much happier performance wise.

Bobioden
May 11, 2008, 08:09 PM

Hopefully it is every day. How often do YOU change yours? :)

jjahshik32
May 11, 2008, 09:26 PM
Not worth it in my oppinion. While certainly I think that my 12" PB is the best notebook ever made by Apple and that the MBA is just beating around the bush, $900 for a "new" PB is not worth it. I got mine for $650 and it's maxed out with not much damage to it save a dent on the back. Mac2Sell quotes $600 for a maxed machine (like new at that), so I would absolutely not get cheated out of a good $300, seeing that in addition to that, the machine in question is really probably not maxed out. I'd say only buy it if you really want it, but I wouldn't go for one if it's $900. From experience with mine, I must say a refurbished MacBook would make you much happier performance wise.

Yea I made the decision not to go for one.. as much as I do love the 12" powerbook.. I realized that $900 is insane as I could easily put that much towards a future upgrade to the newer mbp after selling this one when Nehalem hits!

Ryuukumori
May 11, 2008, 09:29 PM
For $900, I'd go for a refurb MB or even pitch a bit more for a brand new MB, with MUCH better performance and elements.

majordude
May 11, 2008, 10:09 PM
Since you are the only potential buyer in two years, say $650 and be prepared to go to $725 or walk away.

He'll crawl back within three weeks.

deep green
May 13, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hi,

A noob here who stumbled on this thread... What is a good asking price for a sealed 12' PB? I actually have one that's completely sealed - never opened. It was purchased May 2006 and just sat there. It's a 1.5GHz, 1.25gb RAM (Apple factory install), 100gb HDD and SuperDrive - the last and fullest equipped version of the 12". I'm thinking about listing it on eBay and Craigslist since I don't really need it any more. I figure it'll be more for the avid collector. Would $900 for this one that's not open be fair? I'm also thinking that if I go Craigslist, I can save a bit on the listing fees and can charge less. Any advice?

killerwhack
May 13, 2008, 03:07 PM
GJH-Leopard-MBP-2:~] g4greg% man yes
YES(1) BSD General Commands Manual YES(1)

NAME
yes -- be repetitively affirmative

SYNOPSIS
yes [expletive]

DESCRIPTION
yes outputs expletive, or, by default, ``y'', forever.

HISTORY
The yes command appeared in 4.0BSD.

4th Berkeley Distribution June 6, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution
[GJH-Leopard-MBP-2:~] g4greg%

leodavinci0
May 13, 2008, 03:22 PM
The PB was an excellent little machine. I've had mine since the summer of 2003 and even with extensive use every day it still runs fine. However, I did replace the HDD, and also the battery about 3 times now. But for 900 bucks, hell no.

As for the fellow above with a sealed machine, if the battery is depleted below a certain point (the battery slowly drains over time, even when the computer is off, due to the nature of lithium ion batteries and the CPU in the battery itself drawing current) it will not charge or function until it is manually trickle charged, which requires disassembling the battery. Therefore, keep in mind that you may need to have a brand new battery to go with it.

jjahshik32
May 13, 2008, 04:43 PM
Hi,

A noob here who stumbled on this thread... What is a good asking price for a sealed 12' PB? I actually have one that's completely sealed - never opened. It was purchased May 2006 and just sat there. It's a 1.5GHz, 1.25gb RAM (Apple factory install), 100gb HDD and SuperDrive - the last and fullest equipped version of the 12". I'm thinking about listing it on eBay and Craigslist since I don't really need it any more. I figure it'll be more for the avid collector. Would $900 for this one that's not open be fair? I'm also thinking that if I go Craigslist, I can save a bit on the listing fees and can charge less. Any advice?

Whoa you have one completely sealed in the box?? That's pretty cool.. hope it isnt a lemon though..

Mark-Mac-Attack
May 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
$900....

I just bought a 12" PB for 295

However it needed a new battery (89:eek:), and is the 1Ghz model.

Its a great machine although the screen brightness is poor compared to more modern displays.

$900 = ~450, which isn't so bad.

Maybe $100 less?

My PB, pretty good condition, some very minor marks on it...

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l235/mdjones3000/DSC07315.jpg

alphaod
May 13, 2008, 06:05 PM

Now try 'yes > yes' in Terminal. ;)

deep green
May 14, 2008, 01:13 AM
Whoa you have one completely sealed in the box?? That's pretty cool.. hope it isnt a lemon though..

That's one thing about it being in a sealed box - I won't know unless I open it. Good thing is that it's still eligible for AppleCare AFAIK, so any issues would be dealt with. I don't know if they have any new 12" PB parts lying around, but I'd think Apple would at least try to fix things if the laptop turns out to be lemon...

deadpixels
May 14, 2008, 01:32 PM
That's one thing about it being in a sealed box - I won't know unless I open it. Good thing is that it's still eligible for AppleCare AFAIK, so any issues would be dealt with. I don't know if they have any new 12" PB parts lying around, but I'd think Apple would at least try to fix things if the laptop turns out to be lemon...

Since Applecare must be purchased within the 1st year of ownership, i don't think you could get Applecare on this machine. Apple start counting from the date of purchase and i guess it does not really matter if it's unopened.

alphaod
May 15, 2008, 01:40 PM

WTF do people think and worry about this stuff for? No wonder people get so many lemons, they expect it and Apple is just living up to the hype!

I have never gotten a lemon and I don't think once about it.

tdhurst
May 15, 2008, 01:53 PM

I think I'm starting to shy away from it again, even if its brand new.. I wonder how well leopard will run on the 12".

But then I did say performance does not matter.. long as I can surf the web, check email, watch a dvd/divx (non hd I know it wont run 720p/1080p stuff).

I have a 12" powerbook (same model) as my main computer. I use it everyday for everything you described (along with occasional CS3 touchups) and absolutely love it.

mylexon20s
May 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
I just bought the same Powerbook for $600 in Mint condition.

macjay
May 17, 2008, 11:53 PM
i guess it does not really matter if it's unopened.

Buyers will pay a premium for a still-sealed machine.

jjahshik32
May 18, 2008, 03:39 AM
WTF do people think and worry about this stuff for? No wonder people get so many lemons, they expect it and Apple is just living up to the hype!

I have never gotten a lemon and I don't think once about it.

Its like thinking about drinking and driving.. it CAN happen to you!

So far I've never had a DOA or a lemon BUT it could happen. I've noticed it usually strikes when your 100% off guard.

jjahshik32
May 18, 2008, 03:44 AM
I think a fairly good conditioned 12" powerbook g4 1.5Ghz with maxed out RAM to 1.5Gb for $600 is more than fair.. BUT the question is has it ever been serviced by the previous owner of the seller??

I really do want one.. but I'm dreadful of the logic board failure within the 6-12months time and I have a feeling once the mba gets updated I'm going to be like damn.. should have kept the $$ into upgrading instead and just enjoy my mbp!

Ant1-Hero
May 18, 2008, 07:08 AM
I just picked up a 1.5 12"er yesterday for $700

worth every penny IMHO

aawil
May 20, 2008, 09:02 PM
I would say throw an extra $100 in and buy a refurbished macbook from apple. At least you'll have a warranty. I had been debating the same thing but ended up buying a 15" powerbook 1.67 on ebay for $500. It should be here by the end of the week so hopefully it all works out ok. Good luck with whatever you decide.

jjahshik32
May 21, 2008, 01:09 AM
I decided not to buy the powerbook and its been long gone. But someone did end up buying it for $900.

Anyways for me though I will just save the money $700 that I would have spent on the powerbook and save it for a future upgrade when I sell my current mbp for the Nehalem one! :D

deep green
May 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
I'm debating whether to sell mine. I saw the one that went on eBay, and mine is superior. It was originally purchased on 5/6/2006, so it's one of the last new ones sold, it's still sealed (box was never opened) and is the best equipped 12" ever sold - with 100gb HDD. And best of all, I found that it has valid AppleCare until 5/2009 and I had it transferred to me. I think it'd be in demand more from collectors or fans of 12" PBs than from those looking for just another inexpensive computer. For those I'd recommend used PBs or MacBooks. Maybe I should hold onto it for 10 more years to see if 12" attain collectible status!

jjahshik32
May 21, 2008, 01:34 PM
I'm debating whether to sell mine. I saw the one that went on eBay, and mine is superior. It was originally purchased on 5/6/2006, so it's one of the last new ones sold, it's still sealed (box was never opened) and is the best equipped 12" ever sold - with 100gb HDD. And best of all, I found that it has valid AppleCare until 5/2009 and I had it transferred to me. I think it'd be in demand more from collectors or fans of 12" PBs than from those looking for just another inexpensive computer. For those I'd recommend used PBs or MacBooks. Maybe I should hold onto it for 10 more years to see if 12" attain collectible status!

Maybe in 10 years there could be a collector that would want one but from what I noticed from apple collectors, they actually like to take it out to use it.. so meaning most collectors probably already own one and is currently playing with one.

I think its a waste of the original $1799 + apple care to just leave it in the box. I'd say either sell it or keep it and use it. For one in a sealed box I bet you can get about $950-$1000 on ebay. Especially if its still under applecare. I'd say just try to sell it before apple care is closer to expiration. You can use that $950 towards a nice mbp or a macbook.

One reason that I didnt buy the 12" is because everyone that I know always ends up with a logic board failure or issue from the 12" whether it be the 1.33Ghz or the 1.5Ghz. I know currently 6 people with 12" powerbooks and 4 of the 1.33ghz logic boards died and the other 2 with the 1.5Ghz logic board issues.

Especially even spending $600 and if the logic board dies within 6-12 months with no apple care is a $600 down the drain. Also you dont know if that 12" powerbook that you bought from the person on ebay was the original owner or if he had a logic board replace or anything else serviced. From what I noticed from the powerbooks is that once a logic board gets replace I usually see another one needed within 6 months. I guess its a risk like everything else though.

One other reason that kept me from buying one is that I think Steve Jobs will introduce something to replace the 12". It might not be this year or next year but sometime after that. Or the macbook air will get a complete redesign..I think that the macbook air will be worth of the replacement for the 12" powerbook in the next revision. Then I think we'll see a massive price drop for the current 12" powerbooks and people trying to sell one to make clear for the new macbook air purchase.

I think it isnt coincidence too that the mba is the same price as what the 12" powerbooks were. And I owned 2 mba's before the $1799 model.. man that was a sweet little machine, when the screen closed it looked like the 12" powerbook but squashed and smaller and carrying it around was awesome. I cant wait to see what the revisions are and what they will do to the mba to separate it to the aluminum macbooks.

Not to mention that the mba is already 3.5x faster than the 12" powerbooks, gorgeous led screen and when ssd drives get cheaper.. its like having a 10,000rpm raptor drive (I tested the ssd 64gb version to the raptor drive on my mac pro and it was pretty much a dead tie or raptor drive was 1 sec. faster from reopening due to cache though) with a much faster seek time in an ultraportable laptop. =D

alphaod
May 21, 2008, 11:41 PM

I'm debating whether or not I'll make you an offer.

deep green
May 22, 2008, 11:16 PM
Maybe in 10 years there could be a collector that would want one but from what I noticed from apple collectors, they actually like to take it out to use it.. so meaning most collectors probably already own one and is currently playing with one.

I think its a waste of the original $1799 + apple care to just leave it in the box. I'd say either sell it or keep it and use it. For one in a sealed box I bet you can get about $950-$1000 on ebay. Especially if its still under applecare. I'd say just try to sell it before apple care is closer to expiration. You can use that $950 towards a nice mbp or a macbook.

I think that's a really good advice - I'm thinking about putting out feelers to see if I can sell it via Craigslist for a certain price, to see what the interest level is like, and then decide whether to keep (and use) this beauty or to sell it. Thanks!

thechidz
May 22, 2008, 11:23 PM
Since you are the only potential buyer in two years, say $650 and be prepared to go to $725 or walk away.

He'll crawl back within three weeks.
I agree with this. he wont get 900 for it... what do you have to lose?

koobcamuk
May 23, 2008, 01:42 AM

Well, I used my 12" PB with 10.5.2 on it with no problems. Just bought myself a MBP 15" but that's for a different reason. I will be keeping my 1.33Ghz 1.25GB RAM PB as I love the little thing. I swapped a MacBook for it and cash (I received ). Couldn't recommend it more.

koobcamuk
May 23, 2008, 04:24 AM
So far I've never had a DOA or a lemon BUT it could happen. I've noticed it usually strikes when your 100% off guard.

off guard??? how can you prepare yourself for getting a lemon out of the box?

deep green
May 23, 2008, 12:36 PM
I agree with this. he wont get 900 for it... what do you have to lose?

Actually, he did get an offer close to it...

jjahshik32
May 23, 2008, 04:43 PM
off guard??? how can you prepare yourself for getting a lemon out of the box?

Yes off guard. I just got a new mbp last week and when I turned it on it was a DOA. I was totally off guard since it has never happened to me before I was surprised.

JacobC
May 23, 2008, 08:38 PM
I find it kind of funny,

Macs are worth such a pretty penny, even previous generations!

I just sold an iBook G4, Superdrive, 1.5GB of Ram, 1.42GHz for over $800 on eBay, it was just about the biggest surprise of my life. Especially since I bought it a week earlier for $500.

jjahshik32
May 23, 2008, 09:06 PM
That's the great thing about macs resale value!!

koobcamuk
May 25, 2008, 10:47 PM
Yes off guard. I just got a new mbp last week and when I turned it on it was a DOA. I was totally off guard since it has never happened to me before I was surprised.

Well, no-one ever buys a computer thinking it's a dud or we'd all open them in store and boot them up.

I still don't think you can prepare yourself... it's a random thing. If you expect it to be a dud, or think it might be... it's quite a strange position to be in, I think.

jjahshik32
May 26, 2008, 02:23 AM
Well, no-one ever buys a computer thinking it's a dud or we'd all open them in store and boot them up.

I still don't think you can prepare yourself... it's a random thing. If you expect it to be a dud, or think it might be... it's quite a strange position to be in, I think.

I know that no one prepares for a DOA or wants one and that's the thing that makes it even more surprising when you do get a DOA.

I guess I meant to say that I wasnt expecting or even considered DOA as a problem as it never happened to me before. Also when we usually get a nice new toy, the last thing we think about is actually getting a doa. But we usually only consider things like, will it have a dead/stuck pixel, hope it doesnt have a warped lid (I guess apple users do, maybe different worries with dells?) or if your the type that only thinks about cant wait to use it or go online with it, etc..

Also you should especially consider the 12" powerbook sealed after nearly 4 years and when its not under warranty anymore about getting a DOA. If I was the owner of that powerbook, I'd rather just open it up and make sure it isnt a DOA while its still under applecare warranty and if it is maybe apple can replace your powerbook with a nice new mbp or a higher end mba.