Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I just installed mc68ks scripts on 2 1GHZ emacs at my school, but they have them set to sleep every 10 mins of inactivity or so. The admin has disabled the energy saver preferences, so how do i change this? I want to make it just turn the monitor off instead of sleeping, but I don't have sufficient privileges. I know the password for the current user, but not for the admin. Any suggestions, these machines will add at least 125 points a week or so if I can get them to fold all of the school day

stoid

macrumors 601
I worked as an IT aid over the summer at the high school I had graduated from, and installed a lab of 24 new 1Ghz eMacs. I was going to set up folding on them, but I had extreme difficulty and was unable to get it to work because I wanted it to work in the student user, but the admin system was based over the local network or something, and so even when I knew the admin password I was unable to get the script to function properly. Good luck though!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
wow, will u ever have access to those again?

what a lot of power...man

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by mc68k
it is a .plist file

are they running 10.2 or .3?

Can you be more specific, I have a general idea of what that is, but I don't know where the plist file is. Also they are 10.2

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
You probably should ask permission from the admin to add it. I know of several people who have gotten into some serious trouble over some very innocent hacking of school computers.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Yamabushi, i don't need to worry much about the 2 emacs (folding is 100% hidden to them, they don't know anything about macs except we have 2 for imovie), now if i installed something on the windows machines thats another story.

stoid

macrumors 601
Originally posted by Vlade
Yamabushi, i don't need to worry much about the 2 emacs (folding is 100% hidden to them, they don't know anything about macs except we have 2 for imovie), now if i installed something on the windows machines thats another story.

*Ponders installing the folding scripts on the video editing terminals on campus, but then remembers that they are still using OS 9*

DAMMMIT!!!

nw_mike

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2003
Northwest, USA
Sort of hidden

Yamabushi, i don't need to worry much about the 2 emacs (folding is 100% hidden to them...

Kind-of. If someone complains about problems on the Mac 'like it's slow' all they would need to do is run the activity viewer/process viewer to see it running. Yes I know it only uses idle process time, but they could still check even though it would be unrelated.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by stoid
*Ponders installing the folding scripts on the video editing terminals on campus, but then remembers that they are still using OS 9*

DAMMMIT!!!

Then put SETI@home on them instead.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Sort of hidden

Originally posted by nw_mike
Yamabushi, i don't need to worry much about the 2 emacs (folding is 100% hidden to them...

Kind-of. If someone complains about problems on the Mac 'like it's slow' all they would need to do is run the activity viewer/process viewer to see it running. Yes I know it only uses idle process time, but they could still check even though it would be unrelated.
i dont feel sorry for admins who don't have a clue about computers

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Can you be more specific, I have a general idea of what that is, but I don't know where the plist file is. Also they are 10.2
okay here are the 2 plist locations relating to energy svr/pwr mngmt in 10.2:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

and/or

/private/var/db/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.xml

basically configure the energy saver like u would want it to be on some machine u control, and capture the file.

to test try some different settings and then copy over the file to see if it changes the settings u just changed.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
ACK!!! It seams the first file doesn't actually do anything, and I can modify it, and the second one does, BUT it is owned by root, so I can't modify it or overwrite it! Is there anyway around this, or is Mac OS X just to damn good?

nw_mike

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2003
Northwest, USA
No Authentication = No Go

If you can't authenticate as an admin then you cannot change it. My experience has found that those files owned by root had to be thrown away (you couldn't simply over-right them). But once again if you do not have permission I don't know how you would do it.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
ACK!!! It seams the first file doesn't actually do anything, and I can modify it, and the second one does, BUT it is owned by root, so I can't modify it or overwrite it! Is there anyway around this, or is Mac OS X just to damn good?
you can modify the root owned file in single user mode.

if they have OF locked, then this hack also works

i will continue to work on a non-admin solution. if u need more details on taking over a computer and modifying that file from a root console then let me know.

edit: if u know the admin accts name then u can change the passwd. u could also change root's passwd or create one if they haven't

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Uhg, after spending all period today on the emac, I STILL can't figure this out, and the folding progress was at about 12%, so the emac probably only gets touched once or twice a day... Basically everything I tried required the admin password... :(

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
is there any way for you to get into single-user mode?

cmd-s at startup

it looks a little suspicious, so tell me if ur up for it :D

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I will write a passive program some time to move the mouse every 10 mins by 1 pixel :). I am really busy now with developing 2 games, so I don't know if I can spare much programming time, so the emacs may need to wait a bit.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Its weird... I used the Script and the 2 Mac Os X's at my school and I put in the name and all the stuff but for like the 15 minutes I was there all it was doing was trying to connect to the servers.
Connecting to Primary Server
Failed
Connecting to Secondary Server
Failed

And it would loop like that... could they somehow block that?

Folding port? The connection...
I mean they have Bess... but umm how

:mad:

I guess I'll try and see if anything was to be done monday... ech.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
see how rc5 does on them

ur not going to get in anymore trouble with ur school, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.