PDA

View Full Version : Now WHAT!!!! (iMac G5 needs major repair)

qtrhorse21
May 12, 2008, 04:04 PM
We purchased an iMac G5 a little over 2 yrs ago (December of 2005) for a little over $2,000.00. We purchased this iMac because of the Apple reputation and because we needed a computer that would NOT let us down, so to us, the price was secondary to the product. But last week we turned our computer on and POOF it turned off and wouldn't turn back on...our life is on that computer and so we took it into the Apple Retail Store located at The Boca Raton Town Center Mall and we left it there to be worked on and today we received a call from an Apple Genius telling us that they THINK we need a new logic board for $1,000.00 but also said they wouldn't and couldn't assure us that the new logic board would fix our computer - so they suggested that we just buy a new G5! Is this really what Apple is suggesting we do...just buy a new one and then maybe in 2 years that one will still be working! I thought Apple had/has superior products - is this the way they treat loyal customers who not only buy their products because of their reputation, but also buy laptops, iPhones, iTouch, iPods, etc.... Our entire family is Apple now and this is the way we are treated for "believing" in Apple????

VoodooDaddy
May 12, 2008, 04:07 PM
Just because its branded Apple does not mean is immune to hardware failures.

edit - I should add, this is why extended warranties are suggested. You have a 2yr old product that has a failure and you are blaming Apple and claiming to be treated poorly because of this?

wyatt23
May 12, 2008, 04:09 PM
i guess sometimes you get a bad apple?

don't spend 1000 on a new logic board. go to the apple refurb store and buy a refurb iMac core 2 duo aluminum for $949 and get the extended warranty, that way in two years if/when it breaks, you can just call them an say AppleCare.

computers break. i'm sure someone bought a dell one time because they thought it was a well respected computer maker, only to have it break. your hd is prob fine. so you can buy an external USB case pop the HD in there and save all your data, and have a new speedy mac, and then buy applecare.

geek-inthe-pink
May 12, 2008, 04:10 PM
We purchased an iMac G5 a little over 2 yrs ago (December of 2005) for a little over $2,000.00. We purchased this iMac because of the Apple reputation and because we needed a computer that would NOT let us down, so to us, the price was secondary to the product. But last week we turned our computer on and POOF it turned off and wouldn't turn back on...our life is on that computer and so we took it into the Apple Retail Store located at The Boca Raton Town Center Mall and we left it there to be worked on and today we received a call from an Apple Genius telling us that they THINK we need a new logic board for $1,000.00 but also said they wouldn't and couldn't assure us that the new logic board would fix our computer - so they suggested that we just buy a new G5! Is this really what Apple is suggesting we do...just buy a new one and then maybe in 2 years that one will still be working! I thought Apple had/has superior products - is this the way they treat loyal customers who not only buy their products because of their reputation, but also buy laptops, iPhones, iTouch, iPods, etc.... Our entire family is Apple now and this is the way we are treated for "believing" in Apple????
Ouch. Big ouch. But you must understand, problems happen. and if they want to replace your logic board for 1,000 bucks then *hint hint* just get a new Intel iMac. They cost just a little over that much, and your warrantee should mean that apple will have a Genius transfer your files. Seriously. Why not try to fix it some other way, and if it's still brokdeded, just get an iMac. They're only that much cheaper.

aaquib
May 12, 2008, 04:15 PM
Can't you ask them to do a full hardware test to determine for sure what's wrong? It's insane to pay a grand and not even have it fix your issue.

JCCash
May 12, 2008, 04:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem. I'd go for the refurbish with Apple care so you have three years of service.

D4F
May 12, 2008, 04:54 PM
If you plan to use a Mac over 1 year then apple care is the way to go.

mreg376
May 12, 2008, 06:00 PM
Just because its branded Apple does not mean is immune to hardware failures.

edit - I should add, this is why extended warranties are suggested. You have a 2yr old product that has a failure and you are blaming Apple and claiming to be treated poorly because of this?

It's unbelievable. People forget that computers are still very complicated machines, and they can fail for any number of reasons. The guy spent $2000 on his G5 -- I'm not sure what kind of logic caused him to skimp on the $150 Applecare, not to mention not having a backup. Lately everyone wants to play the victim and it's always someone else's fault.

old-wiz
May 12, 2008, 06:02 PM
We...r - so they suggested that we just buy a new G5! etc.... Our entire family is Apple now and this is the way we are treated for "believing" in Apple????

Where would you get a new G5? They aren't making them now.

D4F
May 12, 2008, 06:16 PM
It's unbelievable. People forget that computers are still very complicated machines, and they can fail for any number of reasons. The guy spent $2000 on his G5 -- I'm not sure what kind of logic caused him to skimp on the $150 Applecare, not to mention not having a backup. Lately everyone wants to play the victim and it's always someone else's fault.

People are just stupid these days and your example is at bulls eye.
Just like those dumb asses that buy expensive cars but can't afford proper insurrance. You got to be retarded when u act like that.

Besides, +/- $150 is +/- $50 a YEAR. That is +/- $4.16 A MONTH.
So you pay $2000, cheap your ass for $5 a month and then u come and cry.
Some people are plain idiots.

Scarlet Fever
May 12, 2008, 06:43 PM
Apple sell technology, not magic. Their products will cease to function normally at some point. My 2002 iMac G4 died last year from logic board failure, yet my 2001 Titanium Powerbook is still working fine. Even my 1994 LC575 is still working.

Love it or loath it, buying any kind of technology is a gamble. Apple is no exception.

minik
May 12, 2008, 07:33 PM
Before I click on this thread, I thought it's about that 'Get a Mac' TV ad.. Now what.

I don't understand the logic behind it as well. It's electronic, some days it's gonna 'die', just like us.

Thinking of this way, if that iMac = your life; the data should be more valuable than just the iMac itself, right? [if the case the problem is isolated to the motherboard].

xraydoc
May 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
Buy a Mac mini. It'll be faster than any G5 iMac.

CanadaRAM
May 12, 2008, 09:42 PM
Before you panic -- the white iMac G5s were prone to a power supply failure problem and Apple had an extended warranty programme for some of them. If your particular Apple place can't tell you more about it, then take it to an independent Apple Authorized service place for an estimate and ask them.

Sky Blue
May 12, 2008, 09:53 PM
http://www.melamorsicata.it/mela/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/applecare.jpg

oh hai guys!

D4F
May 12, 2008, 10:00 PM
http://www.melamorsicata.it/mela/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/applecare.jpg

oh hai guys!

What's that??

:D:D

Battlefield Fan
May 12, 2008, 10:06 PM
1. You should have bought the cheap apple warranty(out of all the extended waranties that you can buy this is one of the few I find worth while.)
2. You should have had your hard drive backed up if "your life" is on it. (basic computer knowledge.)

And don't go slamming apple for your mistakes. Apple is well known for there opperating system and ease of use with its products. Apple uses exactly the same computer parts that you would find in a dell or hp.

Now you have learned from your mistakes.:apple:

xxjuicymintxx
May 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
I'm sorry. :(

myusername
May 12, 2008, 10:48 PM
Did they show you anything on the board, it could be just the power supply, it's about $150.00 to fix it.

The main determining factor are the caps on the board themselves. If they look like cans of soda that were frozen and the bottoms popped.

The other thing to look at is there is a logic board repair extension program for certain iMacs that show what you are explaining. That covers you even out of warranty

Take it back or go pick it up and ask some more questions....

-r

qtrhorse21
May 13, 2008, 10:37 AM
When we purchased the G5 in Florida, Apple was not offering any extended warranty for the G5....We have the extended for our other Apple products, so we are NOT IDIOTS we are just looking for some guidance and help on what we should do ... the response for the refurbished Apple was great, maybe they will take ours and trade it in for another???? and we are not bashing Apple, we are just upset that this is happening - so for those who ENJOY calling others IDIOTS, etc... all I can say to you is GROW UP we are just trying to get some help here

bpl323
May 13, 2008, 10:55 AM
Sorry to break it to you but Apple has always offered AppleCare on iMac G5s. I have one that's a bit older than yours and still under AppleCare.

D4F
May 13, 2008, 10:58 AM
When we purchased the G5 in Florida, Apple was not offering any extended warranty for the G5....We have the extended for our other Apple products, so we are NOT IDIOTS we are just looking for some guidance and help on what we should do ... the response for the refurbished Apple was great, maybe they will take ours and trade it in for another???? and we are not bashing Apple, we are just upset that this is happening - so for those who ENJOY calling others IDIOTS, etc... all I can say to you is GROW UP we are just trying to get some help here

Interesting. I thought the apple care is available for ages now and clearly for the past 2 years. If you were not able to purchase apple care (since you have 4 other ones) then why didn't you go online (even Ebay) and get one??
You can register it up to a year after purchase so you had plenty of time to do that.
Sorry to say but coming here and crying like a kid does make you look like a idiot as it's clearly your fault for not making sure your setup is covered.

old-wiz
May 13, 2008, 12:01 PM
Goodness, don't you back up your data regularly? I use both usb keys and CD/DVDs and back up everything that is mine on a regular basis, at least as often as I change something like use Quicken or buy a song in iTunes. It is not that expensive to do regular backups. There is always the possibility of a power surge that can fry your system, so you need backup.

earnjam
May 13, 2008, 12:36 PM
Sorry to say but coming here and crying like a kid does make you look like a idiot as it's clearly your fault for not making sure your setup is covered.

There is no need to be rude, people. So they made a mistake and didn't regularly back up their data. I believe I've made that mistake numerous times in the past and I think they realize now they should have made a backup. Regardless, what's done is done, let's try to give them advice on the current situation and not rip on them and call them idiots!

As far as advice, if it were me, I'd use it as an excuse to buy a new iMac. You'll love the performance boost and will be better off going forward with intel as opposed to powerpc. I would do exactly what Wyatt23 said...

your hd is prob fine. so you can buy an external USB case pop the HD in there and save all your data, and have a new speedy mac, and then buy applecare.

If you want to keep trying the repair route, you might be able to check with some of the certified apple repair centers. I think we have a 2 or 3 of them where I live. When I had to get a screen repaired on my MBP, I checked with them and they were about 15-20% cheaper than going through Apple. Not sure it will always be like that, but just a thought.

Good Luck!

D4F
May 13, 2008, 01:02 PM
There is no need to be rude, people. So they made a mistake and didn't regularly back up their data. I believe I've made that mistake numerous times in the past and I think they realize now they should have made a backup. Regardless, what's done is done, let's try to give them advice on the current situation and not rip on them and call them idiots!

I'm sorry... It's just hard not to.
From Original post:
'...I thought Apple had/has superior products - is this the way they treat loyal customers who not only buy their products because of their reputation, but also buy laptops, iPhones, iTouch, iPods, etc.... Our entire family is Apple now and this is the way we are treated for "believing" in Apple???? ...'

Believing? lol c'mon! It's a piece if electronic equipement!

Maybe I should be more polite it's just their way of thinking is insane:D

rworne
May 13, 2008, 02:08 PM
Before you panic -- the white iMac G5s were prone to a power supply failure problem and Apple had an extended warranty programme for some of them. If your particular Apple place can't tell you more about it, then take it to an independent Apple Authorized service place for an estimate and ask them.

This is the most sensible thing to follow up on. Our iMac G5 (first generation) had the power supply crap out twice. It's on the third one. Symptoms are any of the following:

1. You come back after a while and find the computer off when you know you left it on.
2. Shuts off by itself with no warning for no apparent reason while using it
3. #1 and 2 start happening at more frequent intervals
4. Shuts off and never turns back on

There may or may not be an acrid electronic smell or smoke coming from the computer vents. On both occasions we actually heard a cap burst in the iMac G5 about a day or two before the problems started happening. We had no smells or smoking, but apple fixed the first one at 13-14 months, and the second when it was around 3 years old. It was eligible for the extended PS repair program.

earnjam
May 13, 2008, 02:09 PM
Maybe I should be more polite it's just their way of thinking is insane:D

Agreed, but when you've just lost all of your data, you're going to be pissed off and say a lot of things you don't mean...

D4F
May 13, 2008, 02:37 PM
Agreed, but when you've just lost all of your data, you're going to be pissed off and say a lot of things you don't mean...

And that's wrong.
Just shows how people think. No objectivity at all. And it does make you look retarded. Simple fact.

CanadaRAM
May 13, 2008, 02:44 PM

However, if it is the logic board or the power supply, it's likely that the data is still OK on the hard drive, which can at least be moved to an external case for migration to another machine.

gravyboat
May 13, 2008, 03:11 PM
I've been in your shoes and it sucks. You might look into this place-- it's the cheapest I found for logic board repair, and I went there in person and believe them to be reputable:

http://www.dttservice.com/imacg5.html

Note that their prices are based on being able to recycle your logic board. In my case, the board itself (not just the capacitors) was damaged so they couldn't recycle it, meaning they couldn't replace my board for those prices. So my iMac was toast and I ended up selling it for parts (the monitor, basically) on Craigslist for $300.

It's fiendishly diabolical how Apple had made Applecare absolutely mandatory. It basically adds another 10+% to the cost of a Mac, which subsidizes all their warranty-covered repair costs. So they can keep pushing the design envelope, knowing that there will be problems, and these problems are the best advertisement for Applecare.

Bear in mind that I love Macs and would never go back. But PC repairs are so much easier and cheaper, which makes the extended warranty unnecessary in most cases.

Battlefield Fan
May 13, 2008, 04:27 PM
Wrong because I bought an iMac in July of 2005 and they offered the apple care. A closer investigation would have shown you that.

And don't be upset at apple because the parts in there are made by companies like intel, ati, seagate and many others. Apple just selects which ones to use.

Apple won't trade it in buy you can take out the hard drive and send it in to apple so they can recycle it. Buy a reverb. And an external hard drive case and drag over the content you need. Then erase the old hd and use it as a back up.:apple:

minik
May 13, 2008, 04:32 PM
AppleCare Available to Florida Residents After All (http://theappleblog.com/2005/04/05/applecare-available-to-florida-residents-after-all/)... like 4/2005.

gravyboat
May 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
Battlefield Fan,

While it's true that Apple buys parts from the usual suspects, the issue for some people is the way a logic board failure can turn your machine into an expensive paperweight. That's a design flaw in my book, driven, imho, by the incessant need to go thinner instead of better.

OP, they may be able to copy your hard drive to another drive. Depends of course on how long they're able to run your iMac before it shuts down. In my case, after sitting overnight, it was cool enough to run for several minutes before shutting down. At the Apple Store they charged me $79 for both the initial diagnosis and the data transfer.

tylermoney
May 13, 2008, 06:09 PM
This is a forum for people to come and talk to other mac users, and get help/advice or just talk. Not get called idiots. How many times do you not get the extended warranty? I only get it from apple. I've never bought any extended warranty from Best Buy or Comp USA or anything. Usually your spending so much on a new computer, you don't wan to spend one cent extra. A lot of the times it won't matter anyways, and you'll be fine.

It's always a good idea to buy extended warranties for computers, but just because you don't, does not mean you're an idiot. You simple say "Sorry, that stinks, next time buy the extended warranty, and they'll just replace your logic board for free...if anything even goes wrong.

With that said, if you didn't get the extended warranty, and aren't under any special circumstances due to your particular model, then you're kind of out of luck. Your best bet is to try and trade it in for a referb model..or if that doens't work, just get a referb intel (that will be faster than your g5) and get the extended warranty this time.

... as for the data on your machine, you can probably retrieve it. The hard drive is probably not dead, and even if it is, there are places that specialize in obtaining data off corrupt drives. In the future, just back up your files/document/pictures/etc....on any computer, anywhere, that is a very important step ... I guess you have to learn some how. Good luck.

Sun Baked
May 13, 2008, 06:17 PM
iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues: Frequently Asked Questions (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302181)