PDA

View Full Version : AppleCare for iPod

MacRumors
Nov 21, 2003, 10:48 AM
As previously reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031120052357.shtml), Apple is now offering AppleCare for the iPod (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9404LL/A) from their online Apple Store (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=9eASk0x48lo&subid=1&offerid=13301.1&type=10&tmpid=80&RD_PARM1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.apple.com%2Feducation%2Fk12%2Filifeandkeynote%2F&u1=macrumors).

The new service from Apple costs $59.00 and offers two years of coverage for the "iPod and its original included accessories (excluding the carrying case) that are defective in materials or workmanship or for battery depletion of 50 percent or more from original specification".

yoman
Nov 21, 2003, 10:49 AM
That's a little high

unc32
Nov 21, 2003, 11:00 AM
Does this apply to new purchases only?

Wonder if I could have used that instead of buying a seperate battery for 59. Oh well.

"This comprehensive plan is available for all iPod models within their one-year limited warranty that connect to either Macintosh computers or Windows PCs."

Found my answer.

yoman
Nov 21, 2003, 11:04 AM
Hmmm....

arn
Nov 21, 2003, 11:06 AM
this may depend on how much you use your iPod and the average life of that battery.

$59 is actually cheaper than I thought it would be... but it only offers it for 2 years (not 3).

If your battery depletes the 50% within 2 years, it's worth it... otherwise, you may end up paying for it and for the battery replacement if it depletes problems after the 2 year period. (though you still get the protection benefit during those two years for other defects)

arn

crap freakboy
Nov 21, 2003, 11:08 AM
Not available at AppleUK Store...surprised me?
Hope its just a delay rather than our American cousins getting the best deal from Apple, then again you have got Bush as President so I suppose its 'swings and roundabouts':)

yoman
Nov 21, 2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by arn
this may depend on how much you use your iPod and the average life of that battery.

$59 is actually cheaper than I thought it would be... but it only offers it for 2 years (not 3).

If your battery depletes the 50% within 2 years, it's worth it... otherwise, you may end up paying for it and for the battery replacement if it depletes problems after the 2 year period. (though you still get the protection benefit during those two years for other defects)

arn

I mentioned it was high in comparison with Best Buy's coverage which is 4yrs for $40, however I realize that you get no covered tech support from Apple through BB.

1macker1
Nov 21, 2003, 11:11 AM
What type of Tom Foolery is apple trying to pull.

Nicky G
Nov 21, 2003, 11:12 AM
All iPods still under 1 year warranties are eligible for the APP.

I happen to think it's an EXCELLENT value. :)

vmagdic
Nov 21, 2003, 11:22 AM
Does anyone else find the way that Apple has worded this to be potentially misleading? (marketing tricks?)

As measured from the date of original purchase, you get 2 years in *total*.

But seeing as the iPod already has a one-year warranty (unless I'm mistaken), then basically, what you are really buying is a one year warranty extension.

I'm not arguing this is good or bad, just trying to read past the marketing so I can understand what you are really getting.

victor

gwuMACaddict
Nov 21, 2003, 11:22 AM
this seems like a total rip to me... is the battery life issue really getting that out of hand?

ryanw
Nov 21, 2003, 11:23 AM
2 years? Sounds like most people have issues with their iPod after 3 years.

arnette
Nov 21, 2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
this seems like a total rip to me... is the battery life issue really getting that out of hand?

This is what I have been saying! I mean really Apple... c'mon!

I'm not buying an iPod until I get a little more quality assurance!

spaced
Nov 21, 2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by ryanw

How would you know? iPods are barely 2 years old!

theipodgod16
Nov 21, 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ryanw

....the ipod is only 2 years old. It was launched in october 2001.:o

edit: sorry spaced, didnt see your post

Lancetx
Nov 21, 2003, 11:32 AM
So in essence, you're paying $59 for a one year extended warranty, for a grand total of just 2 years total coverage. I think I'll pass...

brooklyn
59 dollars? This is pretty steep, especially for such weak coverage on the battery (since this will most likely be the majority problem on an iPod). Dell's 2Yr Warranty is $49. And they also offer an Accidental Damage Service for $29 Totaling $78. All this for just $19 dollars more than Apple’s 2Yr Warranty. Pay attention Apple!

sethypoo
Does anyone know if the FireWire cable that comes with a Mac version iPod is covered under the one year warranty? Mine is defective.....thanks.

arn
Nov 21, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by theipodgod16
....the ipod is only 2 years old. It was launched in october 2001.:o

Ah.... then I guess battery issues due surface within 2 years... in which case, this service may be well worth it if you plan on using the iPod much.

My reasoning is that people are complaining about battery problems with their iPods which are at most 2 years old... battery replacements (3rd party) are $50 + you have to replace it.

For $59, you can get Apple to do it and get coverage otherwise.

(That being said, I'm personally not an extended warranty purchaser in general)

arn

the_dalex
Nov 21, 2003, 11:34 AM
Hmm, they announce a $99 battery replacement fee, then this... was that designed to scare people into buying Applecare that they may never use?

For a device like this, I would use the retailer's warranty, which should last longer, cost less, and gives you a decent chance of a free upgrade in the future should your iPod die.

Plus, this is just a one-year extension! My battery will probably not drop to 50% usefulness by then. Basically, this is a real extended warranty, extended just long enough that it won't cover the most common and expensive replacement, the battery. They are going to make a ton of money on these if people buy them, because it doesn't look like it will drastically increase the number of units they have to fix.

1macker1
Nov 21, 2003, 11:34 AM
And you see in the fine print where they can replace the damaged part/battery with a refurb part/battery.

spaced
Nov 21, 2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by brooklyn
Dell's 2Yr Warranty is $49. And they also offer an Accidental Damage Service for $29 Totaling $78. All this for just $19 dollars more than Apple’s 2Yr Warranty. Pay attention Apple!

TROLL! Who cares about what Dell is doing? An accidental damage warranty isn't going to sway many people to buy that crap Dell is hawking. If people want an iPod, they are going to buy an iPod, questionable extended warranty or not. People have already proven that they are willing to pay more for the player anyway!

1macker1
Nov 21, 2003, 11:38 AM
I think walmart need to start selling iPods...they take back anything at anytime, no matter what the problem is.

jxyama
Nov 21, 2003, 11:48 AM
spaced: brooklyn isn't being a troll, but it's rather pointless to do comparisons to dell's protection plans.

both apple and dell hired actuaries and came up the optimal point for price, coverage length, coverage extent, etc. just because one is priced higher or lower doesn't make that company more or less evil/stupid/wrong/"not catering to consumers" yada yada yada...

in fact, given how good actuaries are in combining all the information on repair costs, frequencies, etc., the price of apple's ipod APP says more about iPods than the other way around.

themadchemist
Nov 21, 2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by yoman
I mentioned it was high in comparison with Best Buy's coverage which is 4yrs for $40, however I realize that you get no covered tech support from Apple through BB.

I'd rather get 2 years of a REAL warranty for 59 dollars than 4 years of a FRAUD warranty for 40.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 21, 2003, 11:55 AM
How coudl a battery cost that much? It all seems to be bad news. I'm scared to buy an ipod now.:confused:

arn
Nov 21, 2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by 1macker1
And you see in the fine print where they can replace the damaged part/battery with a refurb part/battery.

Find me a warranty that does not do this.

arn

arnette
Nov 21, 2003, 12:06 PM
Wasn't the first generation iPod battery a Li-Polymer?

Why is Apple using a Li-Ion now? Is it cheaper?

Lancetx
Nov 21, 2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 1macker1
I think walmart need to start selling iPods...they take back anything at anytime, no matter what the problem is.

Maybe they used to, but I sure haven't found that to be the case in a few years. Last time I had to return something there it was like going through a military checkpoint or something. They wanted the receipt, then opened the box to double check that the serial #s matched, etc. I don't think they're any more easy going than other retailers are these days and that's why the damn lines to return stuff are so long. But I'm sure it's because they get ripped off all the time and had to start doing that.

crees!
Nov 21, 2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by TomSmithMacEd
How coudl a battery cost that much? It all seems to be bad news. I'm scared to buy an ipod now.:confused:

You're going to miss out then. iPod is awesome. Along with music I use it to back up my programs and data, plus transfer my homework/projects to and from school. Beats the heck out of CDs or anything else for that matter and definitely worth the buy.

coolsoldier
Nov 21, 2003, 12:19 PM
With all the battery issues surfacing, I've changed my mind about buying an iPod. I'll wait until Apple (or someone else) comes out with one with a replaceable battery.

MattG
Nov 21, 2003, 12:21 PM
Floridians still can't buy it. Does me no good.

zim
Nov 21, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by coolsoldier
With all the battery issues surfacing, I've changed my mind about buying an iPod. I'll wait until Apple (or someone else) comes out with one with a replaceable battery.

What battery issues? I just got a 3G iPod a month ago, no battery issues. My wife now has my 2G iPod, which will be a year old as of christmas, no battery issues with that one either.

mrsebastian
Nov 21, 2003, 12:37 PM
i'd rather buy an aftermarket warranty from best buy as others mentioned in posts yesterday. much better deal with less questions asked.

hulugu
Nov 21, 2003, 12:38 PM

But, the iPod battery problem is not a problem, rather Apple is adding a solution to a possible problem. They know that batteries may begin to falter after two years or more, and they are offering customers a way to get a battery or protect their system and make money for themselves.
The integrated battery makes the system more reliable by protecting the battery and its connections and gives the iPod is clean lines. I've had mine for a year, and it's as faultless as the day I pulled it out of its package and linked it to my Powerbook.
If the battery does croak, then you can buy a new battery and have it installed by someone at Apple. This is nice, neat if expensive solution. If you want an iPod, get an iPod.

edit text

SiliconAddict
Nov 21, 2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by spaced
TROLL! Who cares about what Dell is doing? An accidental damage warranty isn't going to sway many people to buy that crap Dell is hawking. If people want an iPod, they are going to buy an iPod, questionable extended warranty or not. People have already proven that they are willing to pay more for the player anyway!

If you haven't seen the device you have no basis to call it crap other then apple zealotry at work. A coworker just purchased one 2 weeks ago and just got it. He hooked it up to a speaker set in his office. The sound quality is excellent. The controls are easy to use. You call it crap because it isn't Apple. How typical.
Fact of the matter is Dell will be Apple’s direct competitor when it comes to these devices so a comparison of the services is legit.
And the only reason people "are willing to pay more for the player" is because until now the iPod has been totally unique in its form, features, and ease of use. The new players from Dell and Tosh challenge this. Get back to me in 2nd qt of 2004 and let me know how well iPods are selling and then you will have a good reason to brag.

tny
Nov 21, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by zim
What battery issues? I just got a 3G iPod a month ago, no battery issues. My wife now has my 2G iPod, which will be a year old as of christmas, no battery issues with that one either.

I suspect that a lot of the "battery issues" are actually issues with the battery meter. My battery meter fluctuates wildly for the first 10 or 20 minutes playing after a full charge; then it settles down fine. This is something that started happening when the new firmware for the recording device came out.

Also, it's worthwhile to try to reset the iPod completely. That fixed my "battery issue" (15 GB dock iPod).

arn
Nov 21, 2003, 12:41 PM

you can get replacement batteries for $50.

arn

jxyama
Nov 21, 2003, 12:45 PM

that's too bad, you could be waiting for quite some time.

jcshas
Nov 21, 2003, 01:09 PM
Best Buy: 4 years=$40

AppleCare: 2 years=$59

Hmmm, seems like a no brainier to me. Glad I purchased mine at Best Buy. As I mentioned in a post yesterday, Best Buy has replaced all 4 malfunctioning 3g iPods with a brand new unit.

devotchka
Nov 21, 2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by themadchemist
I'd rather get 2 years of a REAL warranty for 59 dollars than 4 years of a FRAUD warranty for 40.

Fraud warranty?

No matter the problem they always replaced without hassle. (Not repair - replace!)
I would much rather get a brand new iPod than a repair to my old iPod.

Now if they would offer edu discounts I would have bought my iPod from them instead of Apple - instead I guess I will have to shell out the $47 just in case something goes wrong and hope they decide to fix it.

stingerman
Nov 21, 2003, 01:28 PM
Hello, is any one home. Batteries die out, its a fact of life we all deal with on a regular basis. Every rechargeable battery has a limited life, notwithstanding the device. The important thing is if it is replaceable. Two years is a good long time for a battery and after two years if you need to buy a replacement, that is part of owning a battery powered device. What is the alternative, use AA batteries, how expensive is that! Paying $50-99 every two years for a new rechargeable battery is cheap by comparison. The real issue is the life of the HD, which seems to be at least 5 years.

the_dalex
Nov 21, 2003, 01:46 PM
To people who are not buying the iPod because of battery issues: the problem is not widespread, and it is not going to be an iPod-specific problem. Every manufactured device has a chance of failure, no matter who makes it. I'm willing to bet anything that the failure rate of iPod batteries is close to the rate of failure for lithium ion batteries in general. Meaning, if you buy a Dell DJ, you run the same chance statistically.

I was just about to complain about my remote not working anymore, but I just noticed that the remote has a small hold switch on the side. I sell the dang things, I don't know how I missed that. Anyways, take complaints with a grain of salt. Apple sold over a million iPods, so if a thousand have bad batteries, that's a .1% failure rate. If a tenth of those people come to these boards to complain, that's 100 posts. I haven't seen more than a handful of people complaining about batteries. Looks ok to me!

WannabeSQ
Nov 21, 2003, 01:56 PM
I got mine at Compusa, and got their 2 yr warranty, after seeing how cheap Best Buy's is in comparison, it seems I made the wrong choice, but anyway, I got a new 20gb iPod from my old 10gb one cause the headphone jack on the remote broke. I did have to buy the 2 yr warranty again, but i say, that $60 for a new iPod is a good deal, it comes out to $30 a year, hell, thats cheaper than .Mac.

KLFloyd
Nov 21, 2003, 03:30 PM
Well, I just used my .Mac renewal discount and got the warranty for $40. Still seems a little steep but after all the iPod failure stories I thought it was worth it.

Only problems live in FLORIDA. And After reading the information for the second time (after purchasing) I realize that I'm not eligible.

What do I do? After all Apple did sell me the warranty? I could always use the excuse: "Hey, you sold it to me knowing I lived in Florida." But I don't want to push my luck.

Any thoughts?

Mr.Hey
Nov 21, 2003, 03:48 PM
That's a little high

That's a great deal and here I thought they where going to charge us $99 :mad: . If you go to ipodbattery.com they're asking $49 U.S and thats just for the battery itself . I'd rather buy AppleCare for my iPod which will cover more than just the battery :).

the_dalex
Nov 21, 2003, 03:57 PM
I don't want to buy Applecare planning on using it for the battery replacement, and then have my battery be not eligible after two years because it only holds a 60% charge. I'd rather save my money and then buy a replacement for $49 if I need one, I'll be out the same amount instead of possibly being out $49+$59. There's a chance Apple will just give you a refurb anyways.

ITR 81
Nov 21, 2003, 04:24 PM
I said yesterday the price would between 50-60 bucks and I was close.
EDU priced at 47 which isn't bad at all.

The $99 battery replacement program was just for folks out of their 1 yr warranty already.

The new AppleCare program is for all folks still within that 1 yr warranty and new buyers. If your like me this is pretty good deal because my iPod is only like 2 months old...so 8 months later and then buy AppleCare which give me 2 more yrs of extended warranty. So basically I'm covered for 3 yrs.
By that time I would have another iPod if not two by that time.

I plan to just trade my iPod in when I decide to replace it so I'm not worried at all.

BB and CC may have better deals but it doesn't include any tech support for the device. Tech support is not cheap when most tech support people get paid atleast 8-10 bucks an hr. just to listen to people complain and bitch.

Mr.Hey
Nov 21, 2003, 04:29 PM
This comprehensive plan is available for all iPod models within their one-year limited warranty that connect to either Macintosh computers or Windows PCs.

I just called to order ACPP for my little buddy :D and was told that because my iPod had exceeded the 1yr limited warranty that I was not legible to purchase the coverage :confused: . This also applies to all portables and desktop systems :confused: . So this means that if you are unable to buy before the 1yr limited warranty expires you'll be unable to afterwards?.

The last time I talked with one of these "people" j/k, I was told that even if the 1yr limited expires your still able to purchase the extended warranty.

How can this be, please tell me the rep was wrong.

LinuxGigolo
Nov 21, 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81

The new AppleCare program is for all folks still within that 1 yr warranty and new buyers. If your like me this is pretty good deal because my iPod is only like 2 months old...so 8 months later and then buy AppleCare which give me 2 more yrs of extended warranty. So basically I'm covered for 3 yrs.

I think you're misunderstanding the AppleCare Plan. The iPod AppleCare protection plan covers your iPod for 2 years from the date of purchase. This means that no matter what, you're not getting past two years of coverage. (Unless you're like me and get a replacement 11 months into the warranty and have the replacement date set as the date of purchase...).

the_dalex
Nov 21, 2003, 04:40 PM
What LinuxGigilo said. It's from date of purchase of the iPod, not date of purchase of Applecare. It will never cover your iPod for more than one extra year. Apple obviously did some number crunching and trending and realized that they couldn't offer the standard three-year coverage that they offer on other products, because two years is probably the average lifespan of the batteries. With three years they could pretty much count on having to replace it.

All extended warranties are based on the fact that most people never claim anything. They make 50 cents on the dollar or better.

Mr.Hey
Nov 21, 2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
If your like me this is pretty good deal because my iPod is only like 2 months old...so 8 months later and then buy AppleCare which give me 2 more yrs of extended warranty. So basically I'm covered for 3 yrs.

Umm, no, its more like 2yrs, this begins from the time of purchase so thats makes it 2yrs.....he was trying to be all slick and said "but this includes two years of phone support" and I was like, does this change the fact that its still only two years of actual coverage and he was like, umm no. So what the **** does it matter, I'm still only getting two years!. This policy sucks. And the people that I spoke with were n00bs.

ITR 81
Nov 21, 2003, 04:46 PM
Either way it doesn't matter to me.
I've never bought an extend warranty on anything soo if I do one extra yr is good enough for me.

I really don't think Apple cares where you buy your insurance because I think they only are offering this plan to give people that want to deal directly with Apple that option and no more or less.

Either way Apple makes money. For every BB or CC iPod thats replaced Apple just gets profit from more sales to BB and CC and then they get the damage unit. Which they can refurb it and still sell it again. To me Apple as work this out to an tee.

the_dalex
Nov 21, 2003, 05:51 PM
If Best Buy returns a broken iPod to Apple, they get full credit back. Apple is now back where they were before, but instead of holding a sellable fresh iPod, they have one that they need to refurb. There is no benefit for them, there is a cost.

Apple offers Applecare because they make money on it. Period. All Apple salesmen are pushed to achieve high Applecare "attach rates" because it greatly increases their profit margin. Apple didn't offer three-year Applecare because it wouldn't be as cost-effective. Why else would they stray from their standard 3-year Applecare formula?

I'm certain though that Best Buy eats the cost of any iPod not under Apple's warranty. If they replace your 18-month-old 3G iPod with a new 4G, Apple is not going to give them a replacement. Why would they honor someone else's warranty? Best Buy would be getting money for the warranty while Apple has to pay for the replacement/repair. Not going to happen. Apple is going to stick by the letter of their policy, meaning if you can't get it fixed by Apple, Best Buy can't, unless they worked out some crazy deal and are reimbursing them somehow.

Consumers: extended warranties are the biggest "caveat emptor" thing out there now. Read carefully, and think critically. They aren't offering it out of the goodness of their hearts...

rdowns
Nov 21, 2003, 05:56 PM
Hmmm....

$39 with my just received $20 Apple Store .Mac renewal coupon. A no brainer for me.

rdowns
Nov 21, 2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Does anyone know if the FireWire cable that comes with a Mac version iPod is covered under the one year warranty? Mine is defective.....thanks.

From Apple's site:

Service coverage is available only for the iPod and its original included accessories (excluding the carrying case) that are defective in materials or workmanship or for battery depletion of 50 percent or more from original specification. Equipment returned for service may be repaired or replaced with functionally equivalent new, used, or refurbished equipment.

So I'd say, yes, the cable is covered.

rdowns
Nov 21, 2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by KLFloyd
Well, I just used my .Mac renewal discount and got the warranty for $40. Still seems a little steep but after all the iPod failure stories I thought it was worth it.

Only problems live in FLORIDA. And After reading the information for the second time (after purchasing) I realize that I'm not eligible.

What do I do? After all Apple did sell me the warranty? I could always use the excuse: "Hey, you sold it to me knowing I lived in Florida." But I don't want to push my luck.

Any thoughts?

Florida regulates extended warranties which is why it's not avalable there. Just tell Apple you moved there is you ever need to use it.

rdowns
Nov 21, 2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
This comprehensive plan is available for all iPod models within their one-year limited warranty that connect to either Macintosh computers or Windows PCs.

I just called to order ACPP for my little buddy :D and was told that because my iPod had exceeded the 1yr limited warranty that I was not legible to purchase the coverage :confused: . This also applies to all portables and desktop systems :confused: . So this means that if you are unable to buy before the 1yr limited warranty expires you'll be unable to afterwards?.

The last time I talked with one of these "people" j/k, I was told that even if the 1yr limited expires your still able to purchase the extended warranty.

How can this be, please tell me the rep was wrong.

You can buy AppleCare at any time during the warranty period. No chance Apple will be inheriting a pre-existing condition as they are already on the hook. After the warranty expires, no sale on AppleCare. Too many people would buy it after a failure occured.

Yosh
Nov 21, 2003, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure what the standard warranty period for the iPod is. Seems like 1 yr from the messages here.

If it is 1 year, you can get a free year of warranty by buying it with your gold or platinum credit card. All the credit cards I have, and I assume most other gold or platinum Mastercards and Visa credit cards, automatically double the OEM warranty up to a period of 1 extra year of coverage when you purchase it with the credit card.

Furthermore they cover accidental damage which Apple does not (remember those credit card commercials where a kid shoves oatmeal into a VCR or a newly purchased hat blows off a woman's head into the ocean?).

If you are going to buy a warranty, there is no doubt that the warranties from Best Buy are the best. As others have noted, they are extremely liberal about replacing rather than repairing.

Glen

theipodgod16
Nov 21, 2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by arnette
Wasn't the first generation iPod battery a Li-Polymer?

Why is Apple using a Li-Ion now? Is it cheaper?

the 1st and 2nd gen ipods used li-poly. The new ones are much thinner, thus needing a new battery. Obvioulsy, a li-ion one was needed to be fit into the smaller package.

BTW....people, just wait on the warrenty. Buy the ipod. Use it for one year. THEN buy the 2 year extended plan. This will give you a full 3 years of coverage. The ipod already comes with a standard one year warrenty. This is what im doing, and i recommend that everyone else do the same.

legion
Nov 22, 2003, 12:09 AM

BTW....people, just wait on the warrenty. Buy the ipod. Use it for one year. THEN buy the 2 year extended plan. This will give you a full 3 years of coverage. The ipod already comes with a standard one year warrenty. This is what im doing, and i recommend that everyone else do the same.

That's not how it works. It's is TWO (2) years total from date of purchase. NOT 2 years from when you buy AppleCare. In essence, it only adds 1 year to the base warranty.

theipodgod16
Nov 22, 2003, 01:47 AM
my ipod was bought in jan 2003. replaced in july 2003. If i bought the warrenty today, when would it expire. Apparently, i dont seem to understand why people should pay for a year's worth of protection when they still have a perfectly good warrenty going....

legion
Nov 22, 2003, 03:15 AM
my ipod was bought in jan 2003. replaced in july 2003. If i bought the warrenty today, when would it expire. Apparently, i dont seem to understand why people should pay for a year's worth of protection when they still have a perfectly good warrenty going....

You're not. You're paying for 1 year extra; you're not paying for the first year over again. Following your example, if you bought applecare on that iPod, it would expire Jan 2005. You would have to buy it at the latest Jan 2004, before the original warranty expires.

I, honestly, don't see what is so hard to understand about this. This is just like every single AppleCare policy except only 2 years (which is 1 year extra) instead of the 3 years (which is only 2 years extra) found on computers. The only thing it adds in the first year is a full year of phone support vs 90 days
(which if you really need with an iPod, you need more help that can be provided over the phone :rolleyes: )

sirjimithy
Nov 22, 2003, 10:42 AM
Look at it this way people. $59 really isn't that much, considering what you're getting. To fix an iPod out of warranty, it costs over $250. You get that covered for a whole additional year! And even forgetting the hardware coverage, if you call Apple for tech support after your first 90 days, it costs $49 per incident to receive support. That's also covered until 2 years from the purchase date of the iPod. So basically, for regular customers, if you call in twice after your 90 days, it's already way more than paid for itself, and for education customers, it's CHEAPER than the per-incident agreement. Look at the big picture, people.

jjblair
Nov 24, 2003, 12:32 PM
I wonder if this mpeg had anything to do with it.

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

Another solution is to do what I did. Before your year is up, go to the Apple store and tell them something like the firewire port isn't working right, or whatever. (Turned out the problem waqs with my CPU.) They just hand you a brand new replacement. They don't even check to make sure you know what you're talking about.

sirjimithy
Nov 24, 2003, 01:19 PM
Actually, even before the APP, Apple had a battery replacement program for $99. And for a $60 battery, three-way overnight shipping, and labor, also isn't a bad deal. That video is just ignorant. I know people that have had iPods for 2 years (original 5 GB's) and they are still working just fine on the original battery. I'm not saying his didn't die, but it was probably defective or it was abused.

Kinsella217
Nov 24, 2003, 01:34 PM
Why do people spend money on items and services that they don't understand? On the day the iPod was released, one could reasonably assume that, studying the case and knowing Apple's tendencies and history, that the battery wouldn't be user replaceable.

Furthermore, the warranty fairly clearly states that the product is guaranteed against manufacturer defects for one year from date of purchase.

If the individual in the video expected Apple to replace the battery in a well-out-of-warranty iPod, when the documentation included with the iPod when he bought it, is it Apple's fault? I hardly see how that could be the case.

The cost of AppleCare (or other extended warranty, service plan, or replacement plan) on any item is really measured in opportunity cost. Computer repairs (or similar equipment) is almost inconceivably expensive. The value contained in these optional plans has to be weighed against potential or likely scenerios.

Whether you opt to purchase optional coverage or not, the consequences, either way are what they are. The time to put emotional energy into such a decision is at time of purchase (or within the period of eligibility), not, say, when a battery dies on an un-covered piece of equipment.

Painting signs over advertisements isn't productive. Maybe it makes the individual feel better temporarily, but it, itself, is an advertisement. It tells us that this individual is an uneducated consumer.

-Dan

coolsoldier
Nov 24, 2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Kinsella217
Why do people spend money on items and services that they don't understand? On the day the iPod was released, one could reasonably assume that, studying the case and knowing Apple's tendencies and history, that the battery wouldn't be user replaceable.

Umm...Why would one assume that the battery would not be replaceable? What other products does apple sell with unreplaceable batteries? Heck, how many other products exist that have batteries that cannot be replaced without sending the entire device in for repair??? The guy had obviously not investigated all of his options, or he would of known that it is possible to take the old iPods apart and put in a new battery yourself (apparently this is much more difficult with the new iPods), but I don't know about calling the video bogus...If that sound track wasn't an actual apple support call, it sure was a good fake ;).

I know I've said this before, but THE IPOD NEEDS A USER-REPLACEABLE BATTERY.

Kinsella217
Nov 24, 2003, 02:07 PM
The question is asked, what other items does Apple sell, that doesn't feature warranty-covered, user replaceable batteries and the answer is, of course, every computer Apple sells. The PRAM batteries are replaceable (in some cases, easily so), of course, but doing so does void your Apple warranty. Now this is almost never an issue, because PRAM batteries typically last an exceedingly long time.

Asking what other popular products have non user replaceable batteries, the most popular example would be the entire catalog of all current and some previous Palm handhelds. From the Zire 21 to the Tungsten C, all of Palm's handhelds have non user replaceable batteries. If your unit is out of it's warranty period, Palm will, for a rather substantial fee, replace the internal rechargeable batteries, if you send the unit back with an RMA number.

Now can you pull almost any device apart and attempt to repair it yourself? Of course you can and if you're an experienced technician with access to parts, you stand a fair chance.

That being said, that doesn't obligate a company to cover something that it says, loudly and clearly in print, it doesn't cover.

What could Apple have done differently to educate this consumer of the terms of the product's fairly standard warranty?

I'm afraid this all only exposes the film's subject as a poor consumer.

-Dan

coolsoldier
Nov 24, 2003, 04:08 PM
The fact remains that a battery (even a rechargeable battery) is to some degree a consumable product. An 18 month - 2 year lifespan is respectable for a battery; it is not a respectable lifespan for an electronic device. Including an internal battery is a design flaw, because it introduces an unnecessary, easily avoidable flaw into the product. And it is misleading, since prior to the introduction of the iPod, mp3 players all had replaceable batteries.

Also, I know from experience that the battery on my iBook is replaceable, and I would have been quite pissed off had I gotten my iBook and the battery was irreplaceable, regardless of whether I had checked to see if it had a replaceable battery. It is an expectation that the battery on a laptop is replaceable. Since the vast majority of mp3 players on the market have replaceable batteries, and this was even more true 18 months ago when the guy in the video bought an iPod, it was reasonable for the guy to assume that the battery was replaceable. Today, that fact has circulated relatively widely (partly due to complaints from guys like the one in the video) that the iPod needs to be repaired once the battery dies, and so I think you could reasonably expect today's iPod buyers to know about the iPod battery problems, and, in fact, that is the reason I will not buy an iPod -- it's battery is a design flaw that causes the product to break prematurely.

Kinsella217
Nov 24, 2003, 04:25 PM
I can certainly understand why it'd be desirable for the iPod to have a warranty-friendly user-replacable battery.

I certainly respect individuals who make purchasing decisions based on research of a product's features, capabilities, and limitations.

Consumerism based on assumptions... any assumptions at all, are fraught with peril. It isn't reasonable, necessarily, to assume anything about a product, particularly when it's a big-ticket item.

That is, more or less, a large part of my point.

Why do people exchange hundreds of dollars or more for products (or services) they don't understand? People do this at all price points, it seems.

But in this particular case, an individual has chosen to publicly take his case to the public by spray-painting advertisements. His case, it seems, is that Apple has wronged him.

Instead, the message that he's putting out is that he didn't understand the product he bought and also that he didn't understand, or maybe completely ignored, his warranty information.

I'm not sure that I'd want to publicly acknowledge that.

coolsoldier
Nov 24, 2003, 04:45 PM
The bulk of his case, it seems to me, is not that "apple has wronged him", but rather that the iPod has battery problems. The information about his iPod battery is useful. The fact that he publicized the fact that he bought an iPod in spite of the battery problems is what screams that he isn't a careful consumer, but that seems to be a sort of "side effect" of the intended message. His basic message is "don't buy an iPod".

zim
Nov 24, 2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Kinsella217
Painting signs over advertisements isn't productive. Maybe it makes the individual feel better temporarily, but it, itself, is an advertisement. It tells us that this individual is an uneducated consumer.

-Dan

Well said, I do not feel that this individuals actions are correct, and could be seen as aggressive and barbaric. We have two iPods, one will be a year old as of Christmas, neither have shown any signs of age, specifically battery. Upon buying the iPod, I knew that this, the battery, would not last forever, I mean come on, it is a battery and batteries die.

coolsoldier
Nov 24, 2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by zim
...the battery, would not last forever, I mean come on, it is a battery and batteries die.

This seems like a compelling reason to have an easily replaceable battery, no?

KLFloyd
Nov 25, 2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by KLFloyd
Only problem is live in FLORIDA. And After reading the information for the second time (after purchasing) I realize that I'm not eligible.

Any thoughts?

Just as a follow up...my AppleCare arrived today and just as I feared, Apple wouldn't let me activate it. They were very nice about it, promptly refunded my money. I realize it's not their fault and I was trying to skate under the radar, but still it's frustrating.

caveman_uk
Jan 8, 2004, 06:41 AM
Has anyone else noticed that iPod Applecare is now available in the UK?

TheT
Jan 8, 2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
Has anyone else noticed that iPod Applecare is now available in the UK?
I can second that for Germany. So they finally made it avaiable for Europe with this MW.
One question: when you buy it, do you really get a package like the OSX box? What is in there, a letter congratulating you that you just purchased extended warranty?

caveman_uk
Jan 12, 2004, 05:21 AM
When you get other Applecares there's a cellophane-wrapped box with a booklet and a CD in it. The activation code you give to apple is printed on the inside cover of the booklet. This is why you can buy and sell unactivated Applecares on Ebay. The product is only activated when you give that code and your serial number to Apple - not when you buy it.

idkew
Jan 12, 2004, 11:48 AM
everyone remember: most credit cards will double any warranty of anything purchased with the card, up to a year.

So, use your credit card, and you have FREE iPod AppleCare.

caveman_uk
Jan 13, 2004, 08:46 AM
ipod Applecare lasts two years.

idkew
Jan 13, 2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
ipod Applecare lasts two years.

Yes, and if this is anything like traditional Applecare, that means one year is included with the iPod purchase, and the second year costs $59. With a credit card, the second year is included free of charge.

TheT
Jan 13, 2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by idkew
Yes, and if this is anything like traditional Applecare, that means one year is included with the iPod purchase, and the second year costs $59. With a credit card, the second year is included free of charge.
Where do you get this from? Link?