Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Basically the total lack of contrast on the screen has made me very tired of watching vids on the thing. I remember going to the Apple Store and seeing a lost clip on the Iphone when they came out, then assuming the touch would have the same screen, it did'nt. There's nothing wrong with my Week 47 screen, and I've compared them to other touch's and my Buddy's latest Iphone and they are pretty much all the same. The clarity is there, but the screen loses much depth because there is no deep blacks only greys. Watching a show or movie that is bright it looks ok, but try watching a darker show like 24 and it's terrible. I encoded the same file to my PSP Slim and even my 3 year old Cowon A2 and both blow it away for contrast, and the Cowon is ancient and using .avi files for cripes sake. I'll probably keep the touch for music, wifi and the apps that will be coming, but I'm very dissapointed in how Apple cheaped out on the screen for a $400 device

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
Get in touch with Apple and they'll probably replace it for you. This a known issue, but not necessarily a 'feature' of the iPod touch - it's a faulty screen.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Get in touch with Apple and they'll probably replace it for you. This a known issue, but not necessarily a 'feature' of the iPod touch - it's a faulty screen.

It's not a faulty screen, it's not the well know negative black screen, it is the way it is. I've looked at many Touch's and Phones and they are all like this, there is no contrast to the screen the blacks are grey. If they replaced it , it would be the same.

digitalduck

macrumors regular
May 8, 2008
So i just ordered one last night... is the screen going to be worse then watching it on my old Hp Ipaq rx3115?

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
if you dont like it, dont buy it. its the beauty of the country we live in.

Mine is everything i could want, if you want movies with depth, get a portable HD setup :rolleyes:

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I find that I might have to turn up the brightness in some situations and / or for some movies, but overall, everything here seems to be fine.

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
Mine is good for videos in the car or waiting rooms and what not.

I have a HDTV with Blu-Ray player if I want an awesome picture! Its a portable player not a home entertainment system, lol.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
You guys must be awfully acomodating for picture quality or you have not owned many PMP's. Will it be worse than the Ipaq I would imagine it would be a quite bit better than that. Colors are ok, the problem is with contrast ratio. It's a bright clear screen, but with no decent black levels it tends to look dull and lifeless. Do any of you guys own a PSP, encode two of the same files for both devices and tell me which looks better from a level of black

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
Are you sure you just don't have your screen to super brite? My ipod touch looks WAY better then my bf's PSP

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
My Touch gives me far better contrast than My Slim, My Phone, My DS, And My iPod Video. One of the best screens i have ever seen on a Portable! Good Work Apple!

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Get over it already. The iPod Touch is not an HD TV, so you can't expect that kind of quality. Granted there are other products that have better LCD screens. I have an early model PSP and find the video quality between it and the Touch to be the same. The Touch is good enough for the market that it was designed for and considering the limited memory (32GB max) it mainly is for audio content. When the Touch gets memory numbers like other HD based iPods, then we can start whining about the screen quality. But for now we should be happy we such an amazing touch screen device. Image if you could go back 10 years and show something like this off to your friends.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
If ya want deep colors, get a sony clie vz90. I can't complain about my touch because i don't watch much dark films, I use my ipod as my anime pod so its all good for me.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Get over it already. The iPod Touch is not an HD TV, so you can't expect that kind of quality. Granted there are other products that have better LCD screens. I have an early model PSP and find the video quality between it and the Touch to be the same. The Touch is good enough for the market that it was designed for and considering the limited memory (32GB max) it mainly is for audio content. When the Touch gets memory numbers like other HD based iPods, then we can start whining about the screen quality. But for now we should be happy we such an amazing touch screen device. Image if you could go back 10 years and show something like this off to your friends.

The device was put out mainly to watch video on, it was Apple's Larger video Ipod, I'm not sure how you are figuring it was designed for audio mostly. And as such it should have the best screen Possible. Especially for a $400 device.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I'm going to add to the "My screen looks perfect" category... sorry. My screen is actually better than my girlfriend's screen and my girlfriend's friend's screen... they're all iPod touch's. Oh and mine is a week 38 and they got theirs at Christmas time.

jbarr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Having used many models of Palm PDA's since the original US Robotics Pilot 1000 days, I have to say that the iPod Touch's screen, in my opinion, blows the doors off of anything I have used in the past. The fact that it's hard glass is very refreshing, providing the durability I need. The clarity of the screen is simply amazing Reading Web pages in Safari is so easy and comfortable because the letters appear so clear.

Admittedly, I don't watch many videos on my iPT, as I use it primarily as a PDA. It's possible that video playback might have issues here or there. But isn't that the fault of the player app? Some video player apps on Palm PDA's had brightness and contrast settings, but they were specific to the player , and not the hardware. Maybe Apple needs to provide additional settings for the player app to tweak this. But I don't think it's the fault of the hardware.

My only real complaint in the design is that the brightness control in Settings isn't "fine-grained" enough. I almost always keep mine set at about the 10% mark (only about 1mm of blue showing on the left side of the gauge) with Auto-brightness "on". Any higher than that, and it's simply too bright. It would be nice to be able to have finer control over the brightness. Also, keeping the brightness down REALLY saves on battery life.

marlin22

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
The device was put out mainly to watch video on, it was Apple's Larger video Ipod, I'm not sure how you are figuring it was designed for audio mostly. And as such it should have the best screen Possible. Especially for a $400 device.

Sorry, but it was not mainly to watch video as you can see by the WWD conference sell out, but a business device for running applications and a as a small computer device. Apple probably should not have labeled it an ipod because it is far more than that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.