Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
...how do you do this. I searched the 3 cd's you get with panther and it isn't listed as a package and its not on apples website. Someone mentioned to me its on Disk 2 but i have alreayd looked.

Anyone know why i cannot reinstall it? I didn't even remember that i uninstalled it.

All the other Apples programs can be reinstall via the installation disks so why not ichat?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
go download tinkertool and have it show hidden files. then search for ichat and you should find a package, i believe ichat is on disc 1.

iJon

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I could give you the command to unpax the file but I don't think it'll do much good since iChat requires some dependencies besides the app itself.

It may be possible so give this a shot.

On your first disc there should be a PKG file called Essentials.pkg. Navigate into the contents and you should find a file called Archive.pax.gz. Unzip it and you should have a ~400MB file on your Desktop or wherever Stuffit is set to extract the file. Open the Terminal and navigate to the directory where the pax file is using cd. Input this command:

Code:
pax -r -f Archive.pax

Wait until it completes and you should find a new Applications folder with a bunch of apps inside, iChat should be one of them. If it doesn't work then, I'm not sure what else to do.

Good luck,

-V

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
What a balls ache, thanks but no thanks. I'm not going to waste my time messing with hidden files and with command lines... i did this with linux.

I'll just go without.

Winged Youth

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2003
Thanks are in order

I know this thread died a hell of a long time ago, but I took vniow's advice, and it saved my life.

Just thought I'd thank him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.