PDA

View Full Version : Imac g3 design vs imac g4 vs imac g5

superman193
May 21, 2008, 06:50 AM
What design do you like best? what are some flaws in the designs of these beauties? lets hear your thoughts ! :p

for me, i love the imac g3 design but then again its a bit thick :rolleyes:
:cool::apple:

01jamcon
Jun 24, 2008, 01:10 AM
The G4 with its swivel head is still the master of design for me.

irontony
Jun 24, 2008, 01:21 AM

Agreed :D

alam
Jun 24, 2008, 10:23 AM
i love the g3 design, specially the screen design :eek: it's the best.
it looks like those new oled screens for sony :rolleyes: now i think sony has stolen the idea from apple :p

Alloye
Jun 24, 2008, 11:04 AM
I...

hated the G3. I always thought they looked cheap and cheesy.
loved the G4. It remains one of the most striking designs ever. Plus it was the Mac I "switched" with.
liked the G5/white Intel. All that white plastic seemed a bit much, but I didn't hate it. And I thought the user serviceability of the G5 was a nice touch that should've been carried forward.
love the aluminum Intel. While not as unique as the G4, I think the overall design is superb. It's my favorite iMac to date.

TSE
Jun 24, 2008, 12:53 PM
The iMac G4 was definitely one of the most unique widely made computers to date.

I have a G5 20" iSight iMac, while it looks good, the plastic up close looks crummy.

I vote for the iMac G3, because my old school had them and I hadn't recognized what an Apple computer was until I went there and they had a bunch of them. I loved them. My favorite would have to be either the Graphite Slotloader, the Dark Blue Slotloader, or the Lime Trayloader (I have a lime trayloader. :))

kabunaru
Jun 24, 2008, 04:32 PM
The iMac G4 is the best designed desktop ever and nothing comes close to it, even today's iMacs.

dukebound85
Jun 24, 2008, 04:37 PM
the g3 imac as it put apple back on the map and it was a great design at the time

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 24, 2008, 04:42 PM
iMac Intel, styling & performance. Computer perfected.

kabunaru
Jun 24, 2008, 04:44 PM
Don't iMac G5s/Intels feel like boxes while iMac G4s feel like work of art and high technology to anybody?

dukebound85
Jun 24, 2008, 04:52 PM
Don't iMac G5s/Intels feel like boxes while iMac G4s feel like work of art and high technology to anybody?

i like the g4 design better sure, but i think the intel/g5 design is waaaaaaay more impressive

Fonzijr1964
Jun 24, 2008, 06:45 PM
the lamp is the best but i love the Alu iMac just as much. its a nice combination of Alu and glass to create a beautiful working enviroment

Clive At Five
Jun 25, 2008, 01:51 PM
I feel that the current silver design will look just as outdated as the white chin model once a new model is released. The G4, on the other hand, is very unique and beautiful. It holds a place in my heart, right next to the G4 Cube.

-Clive

Techguy172
Jun 25, 2008, 02:03 PM
I like the G4 design much better than that of any new or previous designs. While I like the G5 design, it doesn't have the character of the G4. I never liked the G3 design, it looks kinda cheap. The Aluminum is really nice but it's almost like it has no soul.

iShater
Jun 25, 2008, 02:07 PM

Agreed :D

The iMac G4 is the best designed desktop ever and nothing comes close to it, even today's iMacs.

I'm glad we all agree. I got a chance to briefly use a G4 iMac a couple of weeks ago, and wow! The ergonomics of that swivel screen just blows my mind. :eek:

sananda
Jun 25, 2008, 02:12 PM
the g4 is a beauty. after that i like the original imac. i'm not enormously keen on the g5 but only in comparison to its predecessors and it's the one i have.

PlaceofDis
Jun 25, 2008, 02:14 PM
G3 = clunky now, but good at the time.
G4 = beautiful design, practical and nice, impractical for todays hardware sizes
G5 = functional and clean
Intel = functional, industrial.

marbles
Jun 25, 2008, 02:26 PM
G4 no question , while the newer iMacs look OK they will date quickly ( as mentioned before further up )

The G4 is a design classic , a lovely looking computer which I wish they would bring back up to date & in aluminium, imagine that !

kabunaru
Jun 25, 2008, 02:27 PM
G3 = clunky now, but good at the time.
G4 = beautiful design, practical and nice, impractical for todays hardware sizes
G5 = functional and clean
Intel = functional, industrial.

What exactly do you mean by this? :confused:

Virgil-TB2
Jun 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
i love the g3 design, specially the screen design :eek: it's the best.
it looks like those new oled screens for sony :rolleyes: now i think sony has stolen the idea from apple :pI think you meant the G4 with the moveable screen.

so that's one poll point from G3 moved to G4... :)

PlaceofDis
Jun 25, 2008, 02:32 PM
What exactly do you mean by this? :confused:

what i mean is that a 24" screen would never be able to work on a machine designed that way.

not to mention that cramming everything into such a small enclosure wouldn't yield the best results imo. it would still be a nightmare to service. and if you remember the 20" screens were a bit 'odd looking' imo as well. they really did shine at the 15" and 17" sizes though.

Techguy172
Jun 25, 2008, 02:41 PM
what i mean is that a 24" screen would never be able to work on a machine designed that way.

not to mention that cramming everything into such a small enclosure wouldn't yield the best results imo. it would still be a nightmare to service. and if you remember the 20" screens were a bit 'odd looking' imo as well. they really did shine at the 15" and 17" sizes though.

It would certainly work you would just have to make everything bigger, apple already does this with the iMac now, the 24 has a larger stand than the 23.

So the 24 of the G4 design would have a bigger base.

marbles
Jun 25, 2008, 02:53 PM
It would certainly work you would just have to make everything bigger, apple already does this with the iMac now, the 24 has a larger stand than the 23.

So the 24 of the G4 design would have a bigger base.

Sounds like a plan to me :) ... come Apple listen to the man !

MacHappytjg
Jun 25, 2008, 03:29 PM
this poll has been done before and the g4 won hands down

iShater
Jun 25, 2008, 03:31 PM
this poll has been done before and the g4 won hands down

But I have a feeling a lot of the new "recruits" haven't really used it, so won't be able to appreciate it.

MacHappytjg
Jun 25, 2008, 04:06 PM
But I have a feeling a lot of the new "recruits" haven't really used it, so won't be able to appreciate it.

yea i was about to comment on that all the people that couldn't appreciate the ppc

gehrbox
Jun 25, 2008, 04:52 PM
I own a G3 iMac, G4 iMac and an Intel iMac. Intel is the best so far.

iShater
Jun 25, 2008, 04:55 PM

Could you elaborate on that? since you have all 3, what makes you think the Intel is the best? and is it the G5-enclosure Intel, or the aluminum one.

(personally I like the White Intel > Aluminum Intel)

dukebound85
Jun 25, 2008, 04:55 PM

no way!! i would hope the newer imacs are better than previous ones performance wise lol

gehrbox
Jun 25, 2008, 05:30 PM
Could you elaborate on that? since you have all 3, what makes you think the Intel is the best? and is it the G5-enclosure Intel, or the aluminum one.

Aside from the obvious speed, memory, and screen resolution differences:

G3 - Mine is a Blueberry 350Mhz model. Way too much desk space occupied. Only 2 USB ports. Mine did not have a DVD. Freaking heavy. Looks like it was a prop in the original 2001 Space Odyssey. It still works after all these years, but then again so do my two Mac se/30's for that matter.

G4 - I have the 1Ghz 17" model. Memory upgrade limited to 1 slot, the other one is buried and not user accessible. While it seemed pretty cool when first released, it starts looking a bit cartoonish after 5 years. Even when new it was relatively slow running Panther. The fan sucks up tons of dust that eventually makes it noisy as it tries to keep the internals cool through the crud buildup. Without major disassembly you cannot clean it due to the design. Painful with Leopard.

My Intel iMac is a 3.06Ghz, so is of the aluminum variety. To me it represents the ultimate in simplicity of computer design. I wish it had 2 more USB ports and one more FW 400 port. Other then that it looks and runs great.

gehrbox
Jun 25, 2008, 05:31 PM
no way!! i would hope the newer imacs are better than previous ones performance wise lol

I'm talking about style, usability and overall impression for it's time period.

Hatchet
Jun 25, 2008, 11:06 PM
Definitely the Intel iMac

Jiff Lemon
Jun 26, 2008, 02:53 AM
Another G4 vote here.

My 20" still battles on and still wow's visitors.

I just didn't "get" the newer Imacs - How do you adjust them for height? Stack them on a couple of packs of A4 paper?

Cave Man
Jun 26, 2008, 03:37 AM
G4 was da bomb!

Best...design...ever.

sassenach74
Jun 26, 2008, 04:09 AM
I've voted for the current iMac model, the only drawback with it's design, for me, is the inability to adjust the height.

hank-b
Jun 26, 2008, 04:19 AM
The iMac G4 was definitely one of the most unique widely made computers to date.

I have a G5 20" iSight iMac, while it looks good, the plastic up close looks crummy.

I vote for the iMac G3, because my old school had them and I hadn't recognized what an Apple computer was until I went there and they had a bunch of them. I loved them. My favorite would have to be either the Graphite Slotloader, the Dark Blue Slotloader, or the Lime Trayloader (I have a lime trayloader. :))

I agree - the G3 looks way better in some colours than others. The Graphite slotloader (which I have) still looks nice (but not quite as nice as my other Mac - the G4..)

HB

Mac Player
Jun 26, 2008, 05:24 AM
The iMac G3 Powerflower still looks good :p.

The G4 rocks!!!! It would occupy more space in the desk than the intel thought.

eXan
Jun 26, 2008, 05:27 AM
I only saw G4 at compUSA and Apple Store reception when I was in USA so I didn't really have a chance to use it for extended periods of time.

But I like the Alu/black one the most. G3 takes the last place on my list :)

My all-time favorite Mac design-wise is a 15" MacBook Pro though ;) then iMac alu/black, then Mac Pro.

OnTrack Studios
Jun 27, 2008, 07:48 AM
My main computer is a MBP 15" but I just picked up a 17" iMac G4 and people think it's a brand new computer when they come over. Of-course these visitors know nothing about Apple but still, you would think a computer thats 5 years old wouldn't really catch someone's eye. I love using it, it's a little painful going from a MBP to the G4 but I realize Apple's have come a long way since the G4 so I don't let it bother me. I've just always wanted one of 'em so I picked one up. It's mainly for my girlfriend, I'm slowly trying to convert everyone I know to Apples, whether they like it or not haha!

I also have a dark blue G3 iMac, slot loading. It's pretty much unusable running OSX 10.0. I'm trying to hunt down a OS9 disc. It's cool to have but I haven't really used it for more than 5 mins.

I've only used the current iMacs at the store and once at a relatives house. As far as speed & performance, they take the cake. But design-wise, the G4's are extraordinary.

DarthTreydor
Jun 27, 2008, 08:41 AM
g4 by a mile

mBurns
Jul 1, 2008, 09:27 PM
Cube first.. then G4 iMac.

Dmac77
Jul 1, 2008, 11:18 PM

I resent that comment, iSwitched over a year ago and that is by far the most attractive/functional piece of equipment that Apple has ever made! ARE YOU LISTENING APPLE? BRING THE G4 DESIGN BACK!

Don

iSpoody 1243
Jul 2, 2008, 02:20 AM
imac g4 was definitely the best design of the time.
apple is going backwards design wise with the imac g5 and alum intel imac.
they just dont have that great feel the imac g had

Babooshka
Jul 3, 2008, 10:25 PM
As sexy as all the iMacs are, the G5 white wins because it has the white-ness of the G4, but the sexy design of the Alu G5.

gehrbox
Jul 3, 2008, 10:53 PM
As sexy as all the iMacs are, the G5 white wins because it has the white-ness of the G4, but the sexy design of the Alu G5.

Ya but its got that funky big Jay Leno chin.